Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 27Likes

post #2131 of 2153 Old 12-07-2015, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Hello All
I just had all my boxes replaced with X1 boxes. One DVR and 3 Samsung X2 boxes.
Is there any way for eliminate the apparent added edge enhancement that all these X1 boxes seem to apply? It’s unnatural and I seem to have lost a sense of depth in the picture. Comcast is no help.

Thanks
JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2153 Old 12-08-2015, 09:38 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 541 Post(s)
Liked: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJK1 View Post
Hello All
I just had all my boxes replaced with X1 boxes. One DVR and 3 Samsung X2 boxes.
Is there any way for eliminate the apparent added edge enhancement that all these X1 boxes seem to apply? It’s unnatural and I seem to have lost a sense of depth in the picture. Comcast is no help.

Thanks
JJK
Looked at all of the settings? You can adjust output resolution. There are no settings for edge enhancement.

Check output resolution, and then your display's settings.

Last edited by pepar; 12-08-2015 at 09:41 AM.
post #2133 of 2153 Old 12-28-2015, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
So, I've switched over to X1 with the XR11 Voice Remote. Overall, I think it's probably a better experience, but there are a few quirks I've run across... Maybe there are work-arounds to some of these, I need to read back through the X1 and Remote threads and see if there is anything

The guide requires too many button presses for things, it seems to me. Four steps to get to favorites, for instance. Not sure who though that was a good idea. The old dedicated button - hit it once to go to favorites, hit it again to return to full guide was much better.

Same for accessing recordings, etc. Putting so many things as sub menus under the Xfinity button is a step backwards to me.

skips - already discussed a bunch, seems you can't have 30 second skip and 5 minutes skips at the same time apparently. I thought I might get a Harmony and program sequences to flip back n forth, (and for favorites issue above) but since they only do 5 steps (unless using raw mode) that wouldn't work for the skips.

After years of the 64xx series, I constantly press pageup/skip forward when I meant to press pagedown/skip back. That's just something to get used to I guess, new button layout and all.

Guide list doesn't roll over, that is a major annoyance for me.

Also, just noticed - the old system, if you were only a few minutes into a program, ie less than 20 typically for HD, it would be in the buffer so if you wanted to record it, you could press record button and it would pick up from the beginning. With the new system, it doesn't do that - it will start recording from the spot you hit the record button. Now they have the "restart" option which forces you into OnDemand, which you can't record from, unless I'm mistaken...

So, as I mentioned there may be some workarounds out there already. A custom remote may help, but I think it would need to be a URC vs the more popular Harmony series, at least to program sequences longer than 5 steps.

So, after a few months, I've mostly adjusted to the new system... however a few things just irk the he** out of me still, lol.

Favorites - sorry but multiple button presses to get to favorites is a fail. I know you can say favorites, etc - but that doesn't really work for me. Maybe I don't use favorites correctly - for me it's about 80 channels or so, and the only guide I use, so I want it everytime I bring up the guide. Voice Favorites just brings up the flow menu of channels, but I want the guide. It irks me enough I'm tempted to get a programmable remote just so I can assign a button to do it, but I guess I have to get the high dollar one b/c the 650 doesn't have enough "steps".

Guide doesn't "roll over" like the old one, that is when I get to the highest channel, the old guide jumps back to the lowest channel of my favorites list. The new one just stops, so you have to reverse through it or exit and hit guide again. Minor, but annoying.

No Reminder is annoying as well. I guess they figured with 4 heads/sources or whatever we can just record everything so no reminder is needed?

Also seems like I get a lot of segmented recordings, ie an hour long show gets sliced up into 2 or 3 segments - not sure if I am seeing power surges on my side or something like that, or if it's a x1 thing. Didn't occur with the old box though.

I know I sound like a grumpy gus or whatever, and overall I am pleased with the new features, I've adjusted to most of the extra steps and menus compared to the 6xxx series, but I wish they could get the above sorted out somehow...

Edit - thought of one more thing, lately with a programmed 30 second skip - half the time if you are "behind" on a show and try to skip, it jumps to live tv. So then you have to RW back to wherever you were. That only started happening a few weeks ago, so not sure if something got pushed out firmware-wise that messed it up. I've switched back to stock 5/5/30 for now.

Last edited by 78Staff; 12-28-2015 at 11:28 PM.
post #2134 of 2153 Old 12-28-2015, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by CaptainVideoJW 

Because you can only do five sequences in a macro.

Five 30 second skips would only get me a 2.5 minute skip.

Maybe there is another way?

I use a URC remote and have two macros: One for a 30 second skip and one for a 5 min skip. Each macro is assigned to a separate button.

Old post but I wondered if you could share which URC remote you are using? There are several and I'm not sure if a specific one is required for X1?
post #2135 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question. I take it that "pairing" the remote causes it to transmit RF? Is this correct? Is so, how do I go back to IR? I would like my Harmony Remote to learn a command.
post #2136 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan57 View Post
Quick question. I take it that "pairing" the remote causes it to transmit RF? Is this correct? Is so, how do I go back to IR? I would like my Harmony Remote to learn a command.
What command do you need?
post #2137 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
What command do you need?
Forgive me if I am missing something obvious. I just got this X1 box today. I am trying to program the 30-second skip command to the skip ahead button. Is there an easy way to do this on the Harmony?
post #2138 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Forgive me if I am missing something obvious. I just got this X1 box today. I am trying to program the 30-second skip command to the skip ahead button. Is there an easy way to do this on the Harmony?
I believe the Harmony (at least mine) default maps a particular set of arrow buttons to the page up and down buttons on the X1. The thing you need to do is convince the X1 box to respond to those as +30/-15 as opposed to the default +5m/-5m. Yes, it is a bummer that the X1 can only have one or the other, but most folks choose the former so they can have 30-second skip-forward.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-pr...or-xfinity-x1/
post #2139 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked: 817
Quote:
There is nothing to learn or to do on Harmony. Do the exit-exit... sequence to change the 5 min skip to 30 seconds. From now on the skip will be 30 sec from any remote.

How would you have learned it from the X1 remote anyway if you can't even do it from the X1 remote?
dan57 likes this.
post #2140 of 2153 Old 12-29-2015, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
There is nothing to learn or to do on Harmony. Do the exit-exit... sequence to change the 5 min skip to 30 seconds. From now on the skip will be 30 sec from any remote.

How would you have learned it from the X1 remote anyway if you can't even do it from the X1 remote?
Thank you for your help. I got it to work.

May I please ask another question. Is there a way to directly access recordings by hitting one button like there was on my previous Comcast remote? The only way I see to do it is by going through the menu.
post #2141 of 2153 Old 01-16-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I have the Pace XG1 i believe. Does this thing pass Dolby digital or DTS are anything in the Audio? All I see under Audio is "Stereo" or "Surround"?
"

Vizio M75-C1 Go Big or Go Home
post #2142 of 2153 Old 01-16-2016, 02:20 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjthenovice View Post
I have the Pace XG1 i believe. Does this thing pass Dolby digital or DTS are anything in the Audio? All I see under Audio is "Stereo" or "Surround"?
"
Try surround, tune to a channel known to broadcast in DD and see what your prepro/AVR Indicates it is receiving.
post #2143 of 2153 Old 01-16-2016, 06:14 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
Try surround, tune to a channel known to broadcast in DD and see what your prepro/AVR Indicates it is receiving.
I was just wondering something similar...

I just got the X1 DVR box and changed Sound settings to surround. Yet my SVS PB-1000 does not wake up from standby. Is this normal?
post #2144 of 2153 Old 01-16-2016, 07:28 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair05 View Post
I was just wondering something similar...

I just got the X1 DVR box and changed Sound settings to surround. Yet my SVS PB-1000 does not wake up from standby. Is this normal?
What are your crossover and LFE points? Probably not enough bass content to wake it up.
post #2145 of 2153 Old 01-18-2016, 03:22 PM

I quit Dish and am installing the X1 whole home DVR with 2 satellite "dumb" small boxes. I am able to get a connection to the main box, but the dumb boxes cannot connect to anything so I clearly have a MOCA problem. So, I bought a coax tester to make sure I have my cables correct.

My network panel has all of the lines coming in that the builder installed as they are bundled together. I have been able to determine the incoming Comcast line and all lines running to specific rooms. ONE of the builder installed lines is testing open. There is ALSO an additional line coming in to the network panel from a different place. When I test it, it tests as short. However, when I hook the short line to the splitter, it will send a Comcast signal to the main X1 box.

So, Im thinking when Dish installed 2 years ago, the installer altered my cabling to that room for the Hopper/Joey setup to work (Hopper was in the room that now has the main X1 box). It seems the line that tested open may have been the builder installed line that went to where the main X1 box currently resides, but I dont know for sure.

Does the Dish Hopper/Joey need something along that shorted line that would force the tester to show short while the Comcast signal could still get to the main X1 box? If so, would that be the reason the dumb boxes cant connect via MOCA? If so, what would I need to look for. The attic crawl space is so tight with HVAC that I dont know how I will be able to get behind the wall that the main X1 box plugs into to inspect.

Hoping someone out there can help. Thanks!

EDIT: There is a solo node just inside my attic crawl space attached to the line(s) coming from the satellite dish. I tested the line going to HOST on the node, and it tests blue so that line is running to the outlet with the X1 box and is consistent with the stray added cable in the network panel. The line marked CLIENT running out of the node is testing open, so I added a red cap and tested the sole cable that tested open at the panel in paragraph 2. Still testing open, so that isnt the line.
post #2146 of 2153 Old 01-18-2016, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qposner View Post
I quit Dish and am installing the X1 whole home DVR with 2 satellite "dumb" small boxes. I am able to get a connection to the main box, but the dumb boxes cannot connect to anything so I clearly have a MOCA problem. So, I bought a coax tester to make sure I have my cables correct.

My network panel has all of the lines coming in that the builder installed as they are bundled together. I have been able to determine the incoming Comcast line and all lines running to specific rooms. ONE of the builder installed lines is testing open. There is ALSO an additional line coming in to the network panel from a different place. When I test it, it tests as short. However, when I hook the short line to the splitter, it will send a Comcast signal to the main X1 box.

So, Im thinking when Dish installed 2 years ago, the installer altered my cabling to that room for the Hopper/Joey setup to work (Hopper was in the room that now has the main X1 box). It seems the line that tested open may have been the builder installed line that went to where the main X1 box currently resides, but I dont know for sure.

Does the Dish Hopper/Joey need something along that shorted line that would force the tester to show short while the Comcast signal could still get to the main X1 box? If so, would that be the reason the dumb boxes cant connect via MOCA? If so, what would I need to look for. The attic crawl space is so tight with HVAC that I dont know how I will be able to get behind the wall that the main X1 box plugs into to inspect.

Hoping someone out there can help. Thanks!

EDIT: There is a solo node just inside my attic crawl space attached to the line(s) coming from the satellite dish. I tested the line going to HOST on the node, and it tests blue so that line is running to the outlet with the X1 box and is consistent with the stray added cable in the network panel. The line marked CLIENT running out of the node is testing open, so I added a red cap and tested the sole cable that tested open at the panel in paragraph 2. Still testing open, so that isnt the line.
Before anything else, here needs to be a filter on your main coax line. I assume you're doing the installation like I did. When I first hooked them up they worked. Then all of sudden stopped. Comcast came out and the tech was surprised they worked at all without the filter. As an after thought I'm sure you want to know what kind of filter and I forgot to ask the Tech so I'm unable to help you there. Sorry.

Last edited by jjthenovice; 01-18-2016 at 08:45 PM.
post #2147 of 2153 Old 01-18-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Before anything else, here needs to be a filter on your main coax line. I assume your doing the installation like I did. When I first hooked them up they worked. Then all of sudden stopped. Comcast came out and the tech was surprised they worked at all without the filter. As an after thought I'm sure you want to know what kind of filter and I forgot to ask the Tech so I'm unable to help you there. Sorry.
Thanks. Its insane that Comcast pushes self install on these. Most people dont know about filters, splitters, etc. The instruction booklet basically tells you to plug it in an you are good to go. I have a tech coming Wednesday, but I was hoping to take care of it on my own.

Starting to think I shouldve stayed with Dish and the extra $50/mo!
post #2148 of 2153 Old 01-19-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks. Its insane that Comcast pushes self install on these. Most people dont know about filters, splitters, etc. The instruction booklet basically tells you to plug it in an you are good to go. I have a tech coming Wednesday, but I was hoping to take care of it on my own.

Starting to think I shouldve stayed with Dish and the extra $50/mo!
Please let me know what the tech did on Wed.

post #2149 of 2153 Old 01-20-2016, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Please let me know what the tech did on Wed.
Ugh. SO the tech merely had to connect the host line coming out of the solo node to the client line coming out of the node and we were good to go. The irritating thing is, I TRIED that but tester showed it as a short so I didnt think it would work. As for the filter, he just added it outside. Apparently they do it on all X1 installs.
post #2150 of 2153 Old 01-20-2016, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Ugh. SO the tech merely had to connect the host line coming out of the solo node to the client line coming out of the node and we were good to go. The irritating thing is, I TRIED that but tester showed it as a short so I didnt think it would work. As for the filter, he just added it outside. Apparently they do it on all X1 installs.
Thanks for the update. Glad you're up and running. Yes, the filter should be placed on the incoming coax to the house before anything else. It may have worked without the filter (mine did for awhile) but the specs call for it.

post #2151 of 2153 Old 01-31-2016, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post
What are your crossover and LFE points? Probably not enough bass content to wake it up.

hello pepar,

please make sure your speaker settings is set to "small" also

June
"IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
post #2152 of 2153 Old Today, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well…. went from being a cord cutter for 4 years back to the Comcast “every option possible” package with 75Mbs internet. Just finished installing the X1 system on 4 TV’s. I have the XR11 remote(s) x 4, the ARRIS XG1v3 DVR and 3 slave X1 tuners.

(+’s)
Internet: Tested it 4 times now and I’m getting an average of 95Mbs download. For me this is blazing – impressive really.
Remote:
• The RF control is great: My AV rack is at the back of my theater room so I didn’t have to run another 35’+ IR sensor. I was also able to hide the small X1 slave tuner behind both my gym and master bedroom TV’s. (line of sight not an issue anymore)
• Backlit: As soon as you touch the remote the keys illuminate
• Voice Control: So easy to find what you are looking for
X1 slave tuners:
• Small (approx.. 4”x 4” x 1”) and light. Easily hidden.
• Installation flawless.
X1 DVR:
• Installed easily.

(-‘s)
X1 DVR and slave DVR’s. Would it be too much to ask for a manual that describes what each of the ports is for. For instance: what the RJ 45 LAN is for…will the USB allow me to plug in an external drive to expand on the 500GB storage…etc?

I would very much appreciate any info other uses have to share.

Kindest Regards

Kevin
post #2153 of 2153 Old Today, 03:13 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71_1 View Post
Well…. went from being a cord cutter for 4 years back to the Comcast “every option possible” package with 75Mbs internet. Just finished installing the X1 system on 4 TV’s. I have the XR11 remote(s) x 4, the ARRIS XG1v3 DVR and 3 slave X1 tuners.

(+’s)
Internet: Tested it 4 times now and I’m getting an average of 95Mbs download. For me this is blazing – impressive really.
Remote:
• The RF control is great: My AV rack is at the back of my theater room so I didn’t have to run another 35’+ IR sensor. I was also able to hide the small X1 slave tuner behind both my gym and master bedroom TV’s. (line of sight not an issue anymore)
• Backlit: As soon as you touch the remote the keys illuminate
• Voice Control: So easy to find what you are looking for
X1 slave tuners:
• Small (approx.. 4”x 4” x 1”) and light. Easily hidden.
• Installation flawless.
X1 DVR:
• Installed easily.

(-‘s)
X1 DVR and slave DVR’s. Would it be too much to ask for a manual that describes what each of the ports is for. For instance: what the RJ 45 LAN is for…will the USB allow me to plug in an external drive to expand on the 500GB storage…etc?

I would very much appreciate any info other uses have to share.
Pretty sure that the LAN and USB ports don't do anything as currently implemented by Comcast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion