Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #2221 of 2234 Old 08-15-2016, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The problem appears to be with your AVR and not the X1 since it only happens when the AVR is in the mix. Does your AVR have delay adjustments for sync of sound to picture. If so, you can try working with that. There may also be something involved with settings in your AVR that cause the problem. You might want to post your problems on the thread for your AVR. My guess is that there is video processing your AVR is doing that causes the delay, such as upscaling or the like.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2222 of 2234 Old 08-18-2016, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
The problem appears to be with your AVR and not the X1 since it only happens when the AVR is in the mix. Does your AVR have delay adjustments for sync of sound to picture. If so, you can try working with that. There may also be something involved with settings in your AVR that cause the problem. You might want to post your problems on the thread for your AVR. My guess is that there is video processing your AVR is doing that causes the delay, such as upscaling or the like.
Quote:
You're right. I found the timing adjustment in one of the sub menus for my AVR.
post #2223 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 07:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I upgraded to the (Arris) X1 box yesterday. Activation went smoothly enough, although I had to start over when it seemed to lock up when entering the last four digits of my phone number. The process was very slow, took maybe 20 minutes total,

My first impression (I hadn't seen an X1 box before):
I HATE the grid program guide. I never used it on the old Motorola box, I pressed the button twice to get the individual channel vertical listing, much easier to see and browse. The X1 doesn't have that option as far as I know.

There doesn't seem to be any control over adjusting recording times - start 1 minute early, etc.
I don't always trust the boxes to record the complete program.

There is no Digital Coaxial audio, something that I could use with my old receiver with only three optical inputs. I have to use a splitter for the optical audio out in order to connect to my Hauppauge 1512 and Denon receiver.

The old Motorola had two tuners and if you knew what you are doing you could use that to advantage. I usually kept the "B" tuner on Palladia (now MTV Live) so if I looked in on it and there was some music act I liked, I could press Record and save the entire buffer as a program that I could watch or record (Hauppauge) later. I don't see how you could do this with X1.

Do these units actually have a hard drive? I heard they save your recordings to "the cloud". I see forum messages about hard drives, so I guess it does, I'm not sure if I hear a hard drive spinning in there.
post #2224 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineer99 View Post
There doesn't seem to be any control over adjusting recording times - start 1 minute early, etc.
I don't always trust the boxes to record the complete program.

Do these units actually have a hard drive? I heard they save your recordings to "the cloud". I see forum messages about hard drives, so I guess it does, I'm not sure if I hear a hard drive spinning in there.
To add time to a recording, you can click on the recording once you have set it and there are options available to start 1 minute early, end 5 minutes late and other choices.

I believe saving to the cloud only exists in certain markets. The Arris box I have has a 500 G drive. I believe all these boxes have that capacity.

post #2225 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
To add time to a recording, you can click on the recording once you have set it and there are options available to start 1 minute early, end 5 minutes late and other choices.

I believe saving to the cloud only exists in certain markets. The Arris box I have has a 500 G drive. I believe all these boxes have that capacity.
I found the time adjustments, though they are a maximum of 30 minutes where the old box had some longer settings.

I guess my main gripe is the Program Menu. I don't like the grid. If you want to see what's on a single channel for the next couple days, you have to keep hitting the right arrow. It's slow and the grid is hard to read with the black background. I feel like I bought a new car only to find that it can't go over 30 mph. Is there no option to get the single channel vertical listing like the old Motorola box?
post #2226 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

You can move to the next day by hitting the fast forward (double arrow head) button.

post #2227 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM
JWN

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Change to the channel you are interested in and exit from the guide completely. On the X1 remote press the right hand button (next to OK) .A list of channels will come up centered on the channel you are tuned to. Press the right hand button again and you will have a list of the programs on the channel you selected. You can then scan ahead a day or the full 2 weeks. I discovered this by pressing every button on the remote to figure out what it does which is good advice in general for this remote.

JWN
post #2228 of 2234 Old 08-25-2016, 05:50 PM

OK. that helps. I also found that you can go to the guide for the channel, press the left key to pick the channel, press OK, then pick "Channel Info" from the menu that appears at the bottom.
It would be nice if you could select different channels by entering the # or by pressing the right and left buttons. Got to try this with JWN's method.
Comcast messed up by not implementing this in an intuitive way. Too many button presses for many of the most used functions.

There are no controls on the box, got to rely on the remote for everything. If it dies, you could be in trouble until you can get a replacement.
post #2229 of 2234 Old Yesterday, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

There are iOS and Android remote control apps that might give you more functionality. I have not used any of them extensively, so I can't comment beyond this.

Last edited by JazzGuyy; Yesterday at 06:02 AM.
post #2230 of 2234 Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 1900
Quote:
There are iOS and Android remote control apps that might give you more functionality. I have not used any of them extensively, so I can't comment beyond this.
there are several Xfinity IOS apps but I have yet to find one that shows now playing info like Tivo has

for me, the X1 is much better than the old RNG boxes,
but the Tivo Roamio is so much better and faster than the X1

please take the high road in every post
Please do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it to Mods to handle
new forum:High Dynamic Range (HDR) & Wide Color Gamut (WCG)
HDMI.org:what a mess
Kaleidescape closes its doors
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
post #2231 of 2234 Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think you are in the majority with these complaints. Most people record specific shows. If they are interested in a specific channel, they go to the On Demand for that channel. If they don't like reading it on the tv, they look at the listings on the computer. As previously mentioned, there are apps to control the box. Lastly, receivers have had HDMI connections for several years. You are disappointed that they are focused on current technology?

I do agree there are too many button presses for things, like getting to your recordings. I'm guessing the answer is to just talk to the remote and only need one button press.
post #2232 of 2234 Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 417
I also look at specific channels when looking at listings, particularly for movie channels. For example, in my lineup The Movie Channel is out in its isolated range of other channels I'm not authorized to receive, so I prefer looking at just it's listings instead of a little bit of it among several other (and to me, useless) channels.

So I am at least the second person who quite regularly uses the viewing of the listings of a single channel on my i-guide HD DVR. That's in addition to recording a bunch of single programs that I am following.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2233 of 2234 Old Today, 05:15 AM

While everyone records specific shows, that means they miss other ones if they don't know it is on. I don't have time to go online and look for channel schedules every day, I rely on the program guide and generally search the movie channels and a few others, looking a day or two ahead. I don't use a smartphone.

As for HDMI, I don't want to spend big bucks for a new receiver right now.
Jeez, you know it's expensive being on the bleeding edge!
post #2234 of 2234 Old Today, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGr44 View Post
That looks very much like the commercial X1 box I heard about. How did you manage to aquire that box?
They're handing them out like candy!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion