Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 79 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #2341 of 2357 Old 12-24-2016, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post
You ask a lotta questions. Sorry I can only answer the first one; I believe the over-arching reply is "That's the way they designed and built it." (To me, the biggest problem is lack of a direct way of getting to the Recordings list.)

You use the Last button to swap between recently viewed programs. There may be several to choose from, so it's not an instant swap. You have to choose what to swap to, unless you want the most-recently-watched program, in which case pressing OK will suffice. Your scheme of pausing/swapping/skipping can be done using the Last button. But it sounds like it would work better as a sequence or macro on a programmable remote.
The problem with doing that on the X1 is that the buffer is lost. That is, when you use Last to go to a previously-viewed channel, it starts now, even if you paused that channel before. And you can't go back to where you were. So everything you missed while watching the other channel is gone. Which defeats the whole purpose.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 2357 Old 12-24-2016, 08:06 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
d) With only a 4-line display, I can't arrow up to the top line (or down to the bottom line) without the guide automatically displaying another line above (or below) and keeping me from seeing the fourth (or first) line I had set up to display before. This is a nit, but a frustrating one for me. I have to keep arrowing up and down to keep the channels I want to see in view.

Go to settings, then Comcast Labs, then Guide Readability, you can get 5 channels at once, which allows me to get the standard NBC, ABC, etc on one screen

Kemper Holt
post #2343 of 2357 Old 12-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
d) With only a 4-line display, I can't arrow up to the top line (or down to the bottom line) without the guide automatically displaying another line above (or below) and keeping me from seeing the fourth (or first) line I had set up to display before. This is a nit, but a frustrating one for me. I have to keep arrowing up and down to keep the channels I want to see in view.

Go to settings, then Comcast Labs, then Guide Readability, you can get 5 channels at once, which allows me to get the standard NBC, ABC, etc on one screen
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

post #2344 of 2357 Old 12-25-2016, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked: 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
I'm a long-time DCX (and earlier) user who just converted to the X1 a week or so ago, and I'm relatively disappointed.
Right now I am still using a DCX (and earlier was a pair of VCRs for recording and a VCR for playing, but that's another story.)

Quote:
1. Biggest problem is the lack of swap feature or channel buffer. My preferred way of watching sports is to watch live until commercial, pause, swap tuners, and watch something else for a few minutes (or watch something recorded), then swap back and skip through commercials. I read something about this being a patented feature of Tivo, but I've been doing this with my Comcast DVRs for over 10 years. Why now suddenly? More tuners? If so, why not save the buffers of the last two? Any workarounds?
I seldom use the two buffers for that purpose. If I am chasing two programs, I'll set the DVR to record both programs, watch one up to the commercial break, then watch the other recording up to the commercial break that I can't skip past because it hadn't recorded past that break, and then continue swapping between the two recordings. (I couldn't do that with the VCRs.)

I prefer chasing recordings than chasing buffers because:
  1. The recordings keep track of where I was, but the buffers don't,
  2. there is no risk that I'll exceed the length of the recording, whereas if I don't swap buffers in time or I get busy somewhere else and don't get back to the TV in time, there can be program loss
  3. I don't risk accidentally wiping out the buffer by hitting, say, a channel button or a channel up/down, if it is a recording
  4. And if there is an EAS, power flicker, etc., the recording is still there but the buffers aren't.

More often though, I'll watch something else at least until the recording is at least a quarter into the show, then I'll watch the recording, skipping past the commercials, and usually finish the recording at about the same time the DVR finishes recording it. (That's how I have watched most episodes of America's Got Talent, giving me enough time to post about the episode and to vote before turning in for the evening.)

Since I don't have an X1 DVR yet, I don't know if this translates well to the X1, but if it does, I would probably continue doing the above when I do get an X1 DVR.
pappaduke likes this.

My very humble setup:
Spoiler!
post #2345 of 2357 Old 12-25-2016, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post
Right now I am still using a DCX (and earlier was a pair of VCRs for recording and a VCR for playing, but that's another story.)

I seldom use the two buffers for that purpose. If I am chasing two programs, I'll set the DVR to record both programs, watch one up to the commercial break, then watch the other recording up to the commercial break that I can't skip past because it hadn't recorded past that break, and then continue swapping between the two recordings. (I couldn't do that with the VCRs.)

I prefer chasing recordings than chasing buffers because:
  1. The recordings keep track of where I was, but the buffers don't,
  2. there is no risk that I'll exceed the length of the recording, whereas if I don't swap buffers in time or I get busy somewhere else and don't get back to the TV in time, there can be program loss
  3. I don't risk accidentally wiping out the buffer by hitting, say, a channel button or a channel up/down, if it is a recording
  4. And if there is an EAS, power flicker, etc., the recording is still there but the buffers aren't.

More often though, I'll watch something else at least until the recording is at least a quarter into the show, then I'll watch the recording, skipping past the commercials, and usually finish the recording at about the same time the DVR finishes recording it. (That's how I have watched most episodes of America's Got Talent, giving me enough time to post about the episode and to vote before turning in for the evening.)

Since I don't have an X1 DVR yet, I don't know if this translates well to the X1, but if it does, I would probably continue doing the above when I do get an X1 DVR.
Yes, recording both things and switching back and forth will work just fine on the X1. Thanks for reminding me.
post #2346 of 2357 Old 12-30-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks. I'll give that a try.
Quote:

In my area, going to the Guide Readability only lets you change the font size, font color, and background color. The number of lines displayed is the same. There are five lines, but usually one of those lines is devoted to an Xfinity ad, so I normally see only four lines of channel information, which is worse than the old guide.
post #2347 of 2357 Old 12-30-2016, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
In my area, going to the Guide Readability only lets you change the font size, font color, and background color. The number of lines displayed is the same. There are five lines, but usually one of those lines is devoted to an Xfinity ad, so I normally see only four lines of channel information, which is worse than the old guide.
Try using favorites for usual channels, I don't get the ad lines.

Kemper Holt
post #2348 of 2357 Old 12-30-2016, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Try using favorites for usual channels, I don't get the ad lines.
Aha! Thanks, I'll give it a try.
post #2349 of 2357 Old 01-03-2017, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,

I just got the X1 box hooked up to my new Denon Atmos capable receiver. I searched for Atmos and tried the Black Sails episode. All it shows on my receiver is DD+, shouldn't it say D Atmos? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.
post #2350 of 2357 Old 01-03-2017, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverrs View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just got the X1 box hooked up to my new Denon Atmos capable receiver. I searched for Atmos and tried the Black Sails episode. All it shows on my receiver is DD+, shouldn't it say D Atmos? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

It's Atmos in a DD+ container
From Dolby

We invented new scalable algorithms and extensions to Dolby TrueHD, our Blu-ray format, and Dolby Digital Plus, which is used by leading streaming video providers. Both formats now support Dolby Atmos sound, meaning that you’ll be able to play Dolby Atmos movies from your Blu-ray player or through your favorite streaming service.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #2351 of 2357 Old 01-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Another question I can't quite figure out. My wife likes to watch some syndicated shows such as Leverage, so I set up a series recording to load up a bunch of them for her (setting it to record both new and repeats). But once I got 20 or 30 episodes recorded, I didn't want to overload the recorder so I went back to one of the upcoming episodes and changed the recording options so it records new episodes only. And since there are no more new episodes, it quit recording the shows. But now that she's watched and deleted a lot of them, I'd like to get the recordings going again. But since there aren't any upcoming episodes set to record, I can't find anywhere to modify the existing recording options. I thought going to the priority list of programs might let me see the recording options for each of the shows, but no. All you can do there is move the show up or down on the list or delete it.

Any ideas? Do I have to go to the guide and find an episode of the show and reset the record options? And would that set up a second set of recordings for the show? If so, that seems a bit kludgy.
post #2352 of 2357 Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Another question I can't quite figure out. My wife likes to watch some syndicated shows such as Leverage, so I set up a series recording to load up a bunch of them for her (setting it to record both new and repeats). But once I got 20 or 30 episodes recorded, I didn't want to overload the recorder so I went back to one of the upcoming episodes and changed the recording options so it records new episodes only. And since there are no more new episodes, it quit recording the shows. But now that she's watched and deleted a lot of them, I'd like to get the recordings going again. But since there aren't any upcoming episodes set to record, I can't find anywhere to modify the existing recording options. I thought going to the priority list of programs might let me see the recording options for each of the shows, but no. All you can do there is move the show up or down on the list or delete it.

Any ideas? Do I have to go to the guide and find an episode of the show and reset the record options? And would that set up a second set of recordings for the show? If so, that seems a bit kludgy.
Go to menu, saved, recocordings and scroll to the bottom. There you should see recently deleted recordings. Maybe you can edit it there, but I'm not sure it will work. Just a thought and hope that helps.

Yamaha 2010
Oppo 103D,ATV3,PS3, Samsung UN60ES7100F, Bluesound Vault 2 and Pulse Mini, Harmony One, Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's. B&W P5
Zone2-Paradigm SE-1's, Zone3-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM
post #2353 of 2357 Old 01-27-2017, 07:44 AM
JWN

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
I thought going to the priority list of programs might let me see the recording options for each of the shows, but no. All you can do there is move the show up or down on the list or delete it.

You can edit the record options for programs in the priority list by using the "info" button on the remote. it will bring up the same menu you see when a show is scheduled to be recorded.
post #2354 of 2357 Old 01-27-2017, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWN View Post
You can edit the record options for programs in the priority list by using the "info" button on the remote. it will bring up the same menu you see when a show is scheduled to be recorded.
Aha!!! Thank you. I will try that. I am liking the X1, but in some cases, the interface is just not as clear and straightforward as the old interface.
post #2355 of 2357 Old 01-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have an Xfinity X1 DVR--a third generation Pace, to be precise. Because this STB has no native setting for video resolution (I miss my DCX3400 in this regard), I currently set it to output at 720p--the source resolution Comcast uses the most, now that the company has downscaled and deinterlaced all of its channels to 720p, with the exception of a few local broadcasts. Of the three alternatives below (or any others you can think of), what is the best way to upscale from 720p?

I ask because I am considering the purchase of a Vizio P75-C1 but am concerned about some of the lukewarm reviews I've read about the Vizio's scaling engine.

1. Keep the X1 set to 720p (the most "native" setting) and let the Vizio do all of the upscaling? I presume this would be the right choice if, notwithstanding the negative reviews of the Vizio's scaler, it's still better than the one in the X1.

2. Set the X1 to 1080p, and let the X1 do the upscaling? This would be the right choice if the reviews of the Vizio aren't exaggerated--the Vizio really does have a problem upscaling 720p--and the X1, unlike most of its predecessors, actually has a very good scaler.

3. Use an external scaler to upscale to 1080p? This is a possible alternative. I have a 5 year-old Elite SC-57 that uses a Marvell QDEO chip. Old now, but decent for its time. But, this alternative would be an improvement only if the Marvell, despite its age, is still a better scaler than the chips in either the X1 or the Vizio. I'm not quite ready to upgrade my AVR yet, because currently no AVR I'm aware of supports Dolby Vision. So, I'm waiting for now.

I'd appreciate any help from those of you who have had success processing Xfinity-sourced video.
post #2356 of 2357 Old 02-04-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm getting rid of Comcast for internet and phone, so I am about to try to negotiate a new TV-only package. Is the X1 only available if Comcast is my ISP, or can I connect the X1 to the 'net via Ethernet?
post #2357 of 2357 Old 02-05-2017, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooey91 View Post
I'm getting rid of Comcast for internet and phone, so I am about to try to negotiate a new TV-only package. Is the X1 only available if Comcast is my ISP, or can I connect the X1 to the 'net via Ethernet?
It may not be an option for you, but I aways go to my Xfinity Store to make changes like that. They pull up mmy account and can tell me exactly what I can and cannot do.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page