Official* Xfinity X1 STB Thread - Page 80 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 74Likes

post #2371 of 2430 Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
OK, here's another one. Up until a few days ago, whenever I finished watching a saved program, a dialog box would pop up saying it looked like I had finished watching and asking whether I'd like to delete the program. Now, that pop-up never appears and I have to go back and find the program in the list in order to delete it. This is much more cumbersome to me than just having to dismiss a dialog box. I'd like that feature back.

Is this some new interface "feature" that has been applied universally? Or is there some way to turn the "delete option after watching" option back on? I've searched through the options menu and couldn't find anything like this. If this is a "feature," it seems to me that usability has taken a backwards step here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2372 of 2430 Old 03-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked: 2787
loss of remote control functions due to signal issues

Comcast had a signal issue in my area: the upload speed, which is usually 12 Mbps,dropped to .3 Mbps: to a point it could not get through a speed test. Download speed was still fairly fast

it affected internet and VOIP (modem would keep rebooting) and the remote control functions of the X1: i.e. the X1 would not respond to IR remote codes (I did not try it, but I am sure voice control would also be impacted) even though I still got a good picture and audio)

Comcast has had trucks in the area looking for the source of the issue like a damaged cable. They were able to restore some upload speed, and the X1 began to respond to remote commands again

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #2373 of 2430 Old 03-27-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbeaux View Post
OK, here's another one. Up until a few days ago, whenever I finished watching a saved program, a dialog box would pop up saying it looked like I had finished watching and asking whether I'd like to delete the program. Now, that pop-up never appears and I have to go back and find the program in the list in order to delete it. This is much more cumbersome to me than just having to dismiss a dialog box. I'd like that feature back.

Is this some new interface "feature" that has been applied universally? Or is there some way to turn the "delete option after watching" option back on? I've searched through the options menu and couldn't find anything like this. If this is a "feature," it seems to me that usability has taken a backwards step here.
I've seen this too and it is annoying. Would love to find a way to fix it. Maybe Comcast will fix it in their next firmware update. Let's hope so and that it's soon.

post #2374 of 2430 Old 03-27-2017, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

I had the same issue for a while, but it seemed to correct itself last night. The system again asks if you want to delete the show and if another has been recorded will ask you if you want to watch the next episode.
klh007 likes this.
post #2375 of 2430 Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texadillo View Post
I had the same issue for a while, but it seemed to correct itself last night. The system again asks if you want to delete the show and if another has been recorded will ask you if you want to watch the next episode.
I too was having this issue, but it now appears to be resolved.

Samsung UN75HU8500 TS01 w/SEK-3500U, K8500 UHD Blu-ray Player; Xbox One; Xfinity X1
Dolby Atmos and DTS:X 7w.1.4; Denon X6200W; Audiosource AMP102; GoldenEar SuperSat 60/60C, SuperSat 50, SuperSat 3/3C, Invisa 525; SVS PB-2000
Harmony Ultimate One; Insteon; Acoustimac
post #2376 of 2430 Old 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texadillo View Post
It took a day or two, but mine now seems to be back to doing what it used to as well. Thanks, everyone, for letting me know how your systems are working.
post #2377 of 2430 Old 03-30-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 2860 Post(s)
Liked: 608
After many, many years as a Comcast customer I have finally had enough of the digital "hiccups" (split second audio/video freezes, despite numerous line techs including the senior one visiting, checking lines, changing terminations etc) and sub-par looking HD, along with no 4K channels. The final straw was reading how Comcast is supposedly down-rezing 1080i to 720p.

I'm seriously considering DirecTV. From what I gather on AVS it is generally considered to have the highest quality HD and is the leader in broadcast 4K. Even tho 4K is limited to three channels, a friend who has it is loving the occasional live sports and special 4K programming. Even little things, like how I can't get the X1 box to reliably respond to commands from my Harmony remote, supposedly because X1 uses some different type of IR (this is the only component I have remote control issues with and it forces me to use the X1 remote instead of the Harmony).

Does anyone hear have experience with DirecTV and looking to switch? I'd be curious to hear about your experiences.
post #2378 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Just understand that when it rains, or the wind blows hard, you will first lose hi-def channels, and if the rain or wind continues, you will lose the rest of the channels. When I told Direct-TV about this, they said "No! Really? No one has ever mentioned that before!". Everyone I know - neighbors and friends - have the same problem with them. And, of course, their customer service sucks, and it's just as bad as Comcast's.

Sure you want to get out of the frying pan and into the fire? If you want significantly worse problems, switch to Dish!

Pete

(just living with my mediocre Comcast Xfinity problems)
tveli likes this.
post #2379 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepaof19 View Post
Just understand that when it rains, or the wind blows hard, you will first lose hi-def channels, and if the rain or wind continues, you will lose the rest of the channels. When I told Direct-TV about this, they said "No! Really? No one has ever mentioned that before!". Everyone I know - neighbors and friends - have the same problem with them. And, of course, their customer service sucks, and it's just as bad as Comcast's.

Sure you want to get out of the frying pan and into the fire? If you want significantly worse problems, switch to Dish!

Pete

(just living with my mediocre Comcast Xfinity problems)
I absolutely know where you are coming from on this, and it is a concern. Does it really go out whenever it rains? Friends that have it and other AVSers have said that it only goes out during thunderstorms. Still, that will be quite annoying.

After comparing prices, it will be $100 cheaper for me to switch to DirecTV. Tho once I add in the cost of getting internet-only from Comcast or FIOS that will eat into that quite a bit I'm sure. Also I am tired of the intermittant glitches that they have tried for years to resolve. In some cases it is better for a few weeks then glitches / freezes are back. And with there being no apparent 4K channels ready to launch which I thought would be happening on Comcast, that is taking the cake. Many say DirecTV has the best quality HD, 4K channels which bodes well for continued 4K roll out for them. So really just a matter of whether the storm outages will be tolerable. For now I am sitting tight because there is a new Genie 2 hardware coming to DirecTV in Q2 so I will wait for that and then make a decision.

Perhaps a good in-between solution may be FIOS. Probably just as good or better HD quality and less buggy, but still no 4K...
post #2380 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Remember, you have a 24 month contract with DirectTV, if you don't like it, you still have to pay.

Kemper Holt
post #2381 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh007 View Post
Remember, you have a 24 month contract with DirectTV, if you don't like it, you still have to pay.
Yes. Although I can cancel with 30 days - so that should at least give me enough of a window to confirm that the HD quality is better than Comcast and that the 4K is great and working as expected. After that it'll be rolling the dice a bit as we head into summer and thunderstorms and seeing how often it goes out. I'm going to ask a friend that lives near me that's had DirecTV for years how often it goes out.
post #2382 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
wind, rain, snow can take out HD channels via antenna/OTA too. So can wet tree leaves and a light breeze.
*aircraft* can especially eliminate an OTA DTV picture.
In the good old NTSC rooftop antenna days there would at least be a fuzzy/flashing analog TV picture unlike a frozen random blocky rendering or blue screen.

Weather can degrade signals via comcast both in analog or digital domain. One analog issue is with the demarcation/cable-connector.
Less common is if it's not grounded properly, AC/line voltage can end up attached to the cable shield and can make grabbing a cable connector more exciting than usual.

The demarc on my dwelling degraded/corroded after about 18 years. It actually took me a while to figure it out, ruling out every cable connection inside the house and my owned modem. I tested their integrated arris modem/wireless/phone device, inside the house 2 feet from the outside demarc.. I ended up cancelling internet service for a month since it didn't work, attempted to give Fairpoint DSL a chance, which never worked.

ps - Nature cannot be fooled. maybe fedex can deliver a box of 6250 bpi magtapes with my daily data .
post #2383 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Comcast May Go All IP by End of Year – Rumor

This would be interesting if true...

http://www.lightreading.com/video/ip.../d/d-id/731651
post #2384 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhachey View Post

This would be interesting if true...

http://www.lightreading.com/video/ip.../d/d-id/731651
Aside from a different set of set-top boxes and DVRs and other means of delivery, does a change like that imply any differences in video or audio quality?
post #2385 of 2430 Old 03-31-2017, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Aside from a different set of set-top boxes and DVRs and other means of delivery, does a change like that imply any differences in video or audio quality?
No one knows for sure at this early stage. We will just have to wait.

I am also interested in the mesh gateway that was announced at CES.

http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...lution-in-2017

https://www.cnet.com/news/ces-2017-w...-digital-home/

Robert
post #2386 of 2430 Old 04-01-2017, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 25
my X1 box can record one channel at a time, about 30 minutes or an hour of 'rewind' is available.

it's lame how the X1 box can't change channels when it loses its data/out-of-band/control connection , but the spam-256 mpeg42 TV signal is decoding just fine. i'm paying 7.45 per month to be annoyed by a weakness of x1? plus tax. pffft. i'm going to trade it for free HD DTAs & limited basic, resisting their tempting double-plays to insidiously insert the xfinity camel's X1 under the tent.

the X1 remote is a thing of beauty. who designed/implemented that thing? slow clap for that ergo feng shui genius team.
i might rent the X1 remote for $1.42 per month without any X1 box if only it could control my owned DTV equipment or my garage doors.
post #2387 of 2430 Old 04-01-2017, 05:00 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
The signal-disrupting rain I was talking about wasn't limited to thunderstorms. Heavy-ish to heavy rain, windiness, snow and sleet do it too. On the positive side. their DVR was superior to the X1. What soured me most was that I was limited to having internet and phone provided by DirectTV, and that went out more frequently than TV. I live in a more rural environment, and it was the frequent loss of my internet that was the deal-breaker.

Pete
post #2388 of 2430 Old 04-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
If you have an X1 box, no new equipment is necessary. X1 supports IPTV.

This will remove the existing bandwidth constrains from the Comcast system. Theoretically, this means that they could do a major expansion of their HD lineup, improve video quality (no need to mix a pile of lower-quality MP4 streams into a single QAM channel), and even add 4k.

However, as someone else posted, "No one knows for sure at this early stage. We will just have to wait."

Comcast's move to IPTV will happen at some point, whether or not it happens this year. I am hopeful that good things will follow when it finally does.
markrubin likes this.
post #2389 of 2430 Old 04-05-2017, 09:10 AM

Liked: 3
Latest DVR Boxes

Hello All,

What's the latest DVR box?
post #2390 of 2430 Old 04-05-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Hello All,

What's the latest DVR box?
Xi5 is an addition, but no actual new DVR's.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/X1-T...R/td-p/2860183

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cabl...companion-box/

Robert
post #2391 of 2430 Old 04-12-2017, 11:05 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr View Post
I have an Xfinity X1 DVR--a third generation Pace, to be precise. Because this STB has no native setting for video resolution (I miss my DCX3400 in this regard), I currently set it to output at 720p--the source resolution Comcast uses the most, now that the company has downscaled and deinterlaced all of its channels to 720p, with the exception of a few local broadcasts. Of the three alternatives below (or any others you can think of), what is the best way to upscale from 720p?
Ever get an answer on this? I have an 2016 LG OLED and am unsure of which X1 resolution setting to choose.

OLED55E6P 609, XB1S, Comcast, Roku 2 (4210 build)
post #2392 of 2430 Old 04-13-2017, 04:10 AM

I use 1080p on all my TV's but they are either 7210p or 1080p. Let your OLED do the upconverting from 1080p. It doesn't make any difference until Comcast comes out with a 4k STB.
mttpalmer likes this.

Robert
post #2393 of 2430 Old 04-13-2017, 04:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Here's my take on Comcast versus Directv - it's all relative to your experience. You can't make generalizations about one service or the other.

Example: I had Directv for close to ten years until I cancelled and switched to Comcast two years ago. For me, the last straw was when Directv never returned any of my calls when I was having problems with their DVR. The reason I switched to Directv in the first place? Because Comcast blew off two appointments to fix a problem with my cable reception.

For me - - Comcast has changed its tune. They even trenched a new line in my backyard to provide better service. The internet is far faster than my choice of CenturyLink. 20 mbps down for CenturyLink versus 150 mbps down for Comcast. No comparison.

I like the fact that Directv has more 4K content including the Masters. But that's about it. Since I live in snowy Colorado - - I installed a dish heater, which really helped me from having to climb the roof to get the snow off my dish. Net-net? It will be a personal decision. But there are more limitations with Directv than Comcast Cable - - at least in my area.

Home Theater Setup
SONY 75X900E & 49X900E, BenQ W1080ST, Denon X5200 & Emotiva XPA-3
AudioSource 100VS, OPPO 103 & Samsung K8500, 9.1.4 Setup - Speakers - Studio 60's,
V.2 (FL/FR), CC-690 (C), V.5, ADP 590 V.5 (SS), MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub,
Cornered Audio (FH/RH), Definitive Technology (Front Wides)
post #2394 of 2430 Old 04-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Hello All,

The retention dept is giving out some great deals today. I just lowered my bill by $45 a month!!!
But we have the quad play (home, cable, phone & internet)
post #2395 of 2430 Old 04-22-2017, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 418
X1 DVR Woes

I had posted this in the San Francisco Info and Reception thread but it should be here also:

First, Comcast's picture quality is getting progressively worse. The image on many of my HD channels is very soft with a distinct loss of detail. This seems to be due to more than Comcast's taking resolution down to 720P in many areas including mine. Even a 720P picture should be reasonably sharp. My signal strength is good and the diagnostics screens show that the actual signal readings are right down the middle.

I've had an Arris XG1 2nd generation DVR for some time. It's fan was a bit noisy but it was a dependable unit. Early last week, its hard drive started rattling a bit so I took it to my local Comcast store. I was given a new 3rd generation Arris DVR. These units apparently use a more power efficient 2.5" form factor hard drive and a fan that is almost whisper quiet. It weighs considerably less than the earlier model. It records to the hard drive and cloud simultaneously. As soon as it was up and running the problems began. It wasn't always accepting record commands from my XID satellite boxes. It wasn't able to cancel recordings or delete them. You could "delete" an in progress recording from the XIDs but the DVR would still be recording them. Triggering an on the fly recording was a crap shoot. Multiple actions by tech support did not solve the problems so back the DVR went. I was given a 2nd generation Pace DVR (they were out of the newer ones) which is very quiet when you're facing it but noisier when you're off to its side. It's hard drive may be a bit wonky so it may not be with me for too long. It also has some issues with starting an on the fly recording similar to the Gen3 unit. That makes me wonder whether some of this is due to issues within the X1 system itself that's affecting DVRs generally. If anyone who has X1 has seen similar problems with their DVRs can report them here I'd appreciate it.
post #2396 of 2430 Old 04-23-2017, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 345
In my area there have been a whole series of X1 firmware updates to fix problems similar to yours rolling out over the last few weeks. For a while, after watching a recording, you weren't offered the option to delete. They fixed that. Then deletes were always shown as in progress and wouldn't really complete for some time. Now when you look at your Saved stuff and pick something to view, the Xfinity stuff doesn't refresh. You get three dots. You have to end that session and repress the Xfinity button. So it looks like there is a lot of playing around with the X1 firmware going on. This may be a prelude to the switch to IP or it may just be various troubles with the X1. I don't think the box you have matters in this. I have the 3rd generation Arris. X1 clearly still needs work.
markrubin and klh007 like this.

post #2397 of 2430 Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzGuyy View Post
Now when you look at your Saved stuff and pick something to view, the Xfinity stuff doesn't refresh. You get three dots. You have to end that session and repress the Xfinity button.
Actually, all you have to do is right-arrow over to upcoming recordings, and then left-arrow back to the saved recordings list and it will populate. Still a pain though.
klh007 and RobertWy like this.
post #2398 of 2430 Old 04-24-2017, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
Anyone else having issues with really old deleted shows repopulating into your saved recordings? 50-60 repopulate almost every day for the past few days. A hard reset clears them, but then later, shows come back. Some are from last September.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #2399 of 2430 Old 04-28-2017, 06:23 AM

Low Signal Issues

Hello All,

Also else having "LOW SIGNAL" ISSUES? I'm in the Collegeville PA 19426 area. Our outside line was changed last Dec. but same low signal issues again
post #2400 of 2430 Old 04-28-2017, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Hello All,

Also else having "LOW SIGNAL" ISSUES? I'm in the Collegeville PA 19426 area. Our outside line was changed last Dec. but same low signal issues again
Did you report this to Comcast Customer Service?

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Tags
x1 comcast activation problem companion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page