DVD Recorder with HDMI input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I took video with my Canon ELPH 310Hs for the first time Sunday.
The picture quality was excellent and now I’m trying to find A DVD recorder with an HDMI input so I can hook up the camera right to the recorder so I can make HD DVDs with out going through the computer. Is there such a recorder?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Any stand-alone DVD recorder is going to record DVD-video discs, which are required to use a resolution of 720x480 by the DVD-video standard. It is possible to burn other files to a DVD, such as an AVCHD file, but such a disc does not qualify as DVD video and will not play in a "normal" DVD player (although most Blu-ray players can handle such non-standard discs). In short, you will need to transfer the recorded file to your computer and burn it to a DVD with whatever DVD-authoring software you have.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks fro the reply.

I have a Sony RDR-VX500 that I’ve used in the past using AV cables.
I was hoping I could get a recorder with HDMI input so as to get the HD quality with out going through the computer.

I ordered the min HDMI to AV cable today. I’ll see how the quality is when I play it in the Panasonic BDT-220CP
post #4 of 14 Old 01-29-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

To my knowledge, there is no such thing as a DVD player/burner with HDMI, because such a thing would be pointless. DVD doesn't support HD video, and DRM/general copy protection paranoia prevents all such devices from having digital inputs to make bit-for-bit copies of videos. The DVD-video format only supports MPEG-2, and HD requires such high bitrates with that old codec that DVDs don't really have enough storage capacity for HD video (but even if they did, the 720x480 resolution restriction forbids it, anyway). You certainly can burn MPEG-4 video files to a DVD with a computer, but no self-contained DVD recorder would have such an option. They are all geared towards burning DVD-video discs.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Actually, what I think you really want is a firewire connection between the camera and the recorder (PC) and not HDMI. Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you play a video, HDMI is transporting the fully rendered frames to, presumably, the display. This means the recording device will have to take the fully rendered frames -- which were derived from a lossy codec to begin with -- and encode them with another lossy codec (presumably H.264/AVC). So you will suffer a generation loss in the transfer -- it is not exactly bit for bit through HDMI.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #6 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Doesn’t the Canon ELPH 310 HS record video to H.264 and PCM audio and store the data to SDHC Memory Cards? If so then your best bet is to take the SDHC Memory Card out of the camera and put into a PC memory card reader. Transfer the files bit for bit into PC and edit / author / burn to disc. You just need to make sure you get software that can nativly handle the canon recorded H.264 video and PCM audio.

As Kelson said taking it out via HDMI and recoding back to H.264 will suffer a generation loss. HDMI will output uncompressed which is lossless (which means as good as the original data) but encoding the uncompressed video back to H.264 or any compressed lossy codec will cost you a generation hit. Plus you would have to transfer real-time via HDMI but taking the SDHC Memory Card out and tranfering the data that way will be much faster and lossless if you keep it bit for bit.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Doesn’t the Canon ELPH 310 HS record video to H.264 and PCM audio and store the data to SDHC Memory Cards?
I didn't bother looking up the model and I'm not into video cameras, but if it is as you have said -- which seems more than reasonable for a modern camera -- the previous discussion is moot. Put the card in a PC like you would do for any still camera and use the software that is probably supplied with the camera to process the video.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #8 of 14 Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

I got the impression that the TC's priority was avoiding the use of PC programs, rather than recording speed, which was why he wanted to output the video to a DVD recorder instead of simply transferring the file to a PC to burn it. Unfortunately, that isn't an option if he wants to preserve the HD video, regardless of how inefficient it might be.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-31-2013, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

I got the impression that the TC's priority was avoiding the use of PC programs, rather than recording speed, which was why he wanted to output the video to a DVD recorder instead of simply transferring the file to a PC to burn it. Unfortunately, that isn't an option if he wants to preserve the HD video, regardless of how inefficient it might be.

Thank you everyone for your input. I guess I have no other choice but to go through the computer as Aleron said if I want to preserve HD quality.
Thanks again.smile.gif....
post #10 of 14 Old 02-01-2013, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverrude View Post

I guess I have no other choice but to go through the computer ...if I want to preserve HD quality.

If you can spare a $1,000 you can get a JVC HDD/Blu-Ray recorder that has a SD/SDHC memory card slot. The deck works with high def H.264. Before you purchase make sure you find out for sure its 100 percent compatible with your canon video laid on the SD SDHC cards. I’m betting it is! I'm thinking it will preserve bit for bit as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652210-REG/JVC_SR_HD1250US_SR_HD1250US_Blu_ray_Disc.html

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101892
post #11 of 14 Old 02-01-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

If you can spare a $1,000 you can get a JVC HDD/Blu-Ray recorder that has a SD/SDHC memory card slot. The deck works with high def H.264. Before you purchase make sure you find out for sure its 100 percent compatible with your canon video laid on the SD SDHC cards. I’m betting it is! I'm thinking it will preserve bit for bit as well.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/652210-REG/JVC_SR_HD1250US_SR_HD1250US_Blu_ray_Disc.html

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101892

Thanks for the link SuoerEye. I'm in a lottery Powerball pool for Saturday night for the $176 million. If we I win I'll buy one:).......
post #12 of 14 Old 10-17-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 11
Hi,

It seems that there is a newcomer in the HDMI recording field, check this indiegogo project: http://igg.me/at/wizarm/

Or video link here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcLuppUAkr4

Pretty amazing !
post #13 of 14 Old 10-17-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It won't be useful for DVR applications, since it won't record streams with HDCP.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-17-2013, 04:39 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

It won't be useful for DVR applications, since it won't record streams with HDCP.

I think you should double check the video wink.gif
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page