2.13Ghz Atom box fast enough for a Win7 MCE DVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is the kit I'm looking at getting...

http://www.zotacusa.com/zbox-id80.html (Atom D2700 - 2.13Ghz, Intel NM10 Express Chipset, GeForce GT 520M)

Samsung 1Tb SATA 3.0

4Gig DDR3 1066

This will be fed by either a SiliconDust HDHomeRun PRIME (connected via GigE) or an external Ceton InfiniTV 4 USB. They're about the same price, any advice on which would produce a better picture from the source or has better MCE support or anything? Small benefit with the HDHomeRun is that I wouldn't have to run coax to the TV since I don't already have a line drop into that room but I do have one right next to my network equipment in the room next door. HOWEVER, I would have to run GigE to the room that the TV is in (easiest is using a direct burial outdoor cable). So have the Ceton but have to run coax cable to the room, or use the networked HomeRun but have to run outdoor GigE to the room...

Honestly 3 or 4 tuners isn't too big of a difference for me, two is a must, four would be nice, but I'm not worried with "making due" with only three...

Will that little Zotac HTPC be able to handle recording at least 2 HD streams, all 4? I just want a basic DVR, a stand alone BluRay player will be for BD/BD3D or *cough* .mkv playback. Second, is it a toss up between tuners or is one better then the other?

(Btw, total would be $519, just a little less then $200 cheaper then a TiVo Premier4 with Lifetime service AND twice the storage)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter

Edit: I should say that I already have either Win7 Pro or Win8 Pro. I kinda want to use Win8 Pro on this so I can downgrade my moms laptop to Windows 7 since that's easier for her to use. From what I understand the Media Center kit is the same in both, but I'm curious if that hardware will run Win8 enough to load into MCE fine and if it would run worse then it would if it was in the Win7 environment.

post #3 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 221
If you're not going to use if for anything but as a DVR, sure it will work for 4 streams recording + 1 playback, but personally I think the Atoms are just not powerful enough.

This thread is better posted in the HTPC forum.
post #4 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

If you're not going to use if for anything but as a DVR, sure it will work for 4 streams recording + 1 playback, but personally I think the Atoms are just not powerful enough.

This thread is better posted in the HTPC forum.

Oh you're totally right about the different forum, sorry, lol.

Ya, completely just DVR/replacement of a set top box. 90% of the time it'll probably be just two recordings going (or 1 live and 1 recording), I mainly just want to get out of paying for TiVo lifetime since 75 hrs seems a little short to me and the next step up is breaking the bank for me. Do you know if Standard Def content will look as good as TiVo or will it be horrible? I've heard that the Panasonic TV's do a pretty bad job of scaling that SD stuff up but I'm not sure if MCE or the Ceton or HomeRun would do as good of a job as a set top box or if my SD stuff is just going to be miserable...

post #5 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by acarney View Post

Do you know if Standard Def content will look as good as TiVo or will it be horrible?

TiVo's scaling is very bad... I think virtually anything will upscale as good or better. 

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page