Cisco 8742HD Diagnostics? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes I did try searching the forum, but only came across a document from Cisco about HDD defragging that warned at the beginning it was destructive of recordings. I am looking for that key sequence that gives multiple pages of every piece of information you could ever want to know about the box and it's middleware.

This is a box from TWC in NYC, and I'd guess it runs ODN (because when I fired it up,I got an "OCAP" message) assuming that is what it is still referred to as. I DO recall from the old days there was some channel number that got you a quick one page data sheet (which DID have the software versioning information) and a far more extensive, multi-page report from pressing certain keys, seeing "diag" on the display, then pressing another key.

Would be appreciated...

Time Warner NYC (Man North Head End) - 8742HD DVR ODN 5.2.0_9

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Yes I did try searching the forum, but only came across a document from Cisco about HDD defragging that warned at the beginning it was destructive of recordings. I am looking for that key sequence that gives multiple pages of every piece of information you could ever want to know about the box and it's middleware.

This is a box from TWC in NYC, and I'd guess it runs ODN (because when I fired it up,I got an "OCAP" message) assuming that is what it is still referred to as. I DO recall from the old days there was some channel number that got you a quick one page data sheet (which DID have the software versioning information) and a far more extensive, multi-page report from pressing certain keys, seeing "diag" on the display, then pressing another key.

Would be appreciated...

Try holding the "SELECT" key on the remote down for about 5 seconds, or until the power icon starts flashing. Then, push (don't hold down) the "up" triangle on the remote.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-31-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Ah, thanks! This is interesting... after I posted this, I went reading a bunch of other threads... in an 8640 thread I found the advice to press & hold Sel until the power light starts blinking (5-8 secs), then keep holding it until the mail icon flashes (3-4 secs) then press/release the down arrow (all this on the remote).

This got to a different set of screens, 23 I think in all. Your technique has a left hand side menu, but the other just page after page. By your method, I could't seem to find the ODN version (Summary says software version OHT2.0.0.2001). Via the "mail icon blinking" method, I DID see an ODN version of 5.2.0_9... which I think is the version most often quoted around here.

You method shows disk space in KB, it lists it as "487,862, 256 KB." The other shows GB directly. Yes, I know both are roughly the same... it's about 462G, about what I'd expect from a nominally 500G drive.

Anyway, hopefully the information in this thread will be helpful/useful to other avsersD looking for this particular box (at least as it applies to TWC in NYC, although I'd guess it may be the same in other TWC cities)... it lists 2 working methods for this box.

post #4 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside_Guy View Post

Ah, thanks! This is interesting... after I posted this, I went reading a bunch of other threads... in an 8640 thread I found the advice to press & hold Sel until the power light starts blinking (5-8 secs), then keep holding it until the mail icon flashes (3-4 secs) then press/release the down arrow (all this on the remote).

This got to a different set of screens, 23 I think in all. Your technique has a left hand side menu, but the other just page after page. By your method, I could't seem to find the ODN version (Summary says software version OHT2.0.0.2001). Via the "mail icon blinking" method, I DID see an ODN version of 5.2.0_9... which I think is the version most often quoted around here.

You method shows disk space in KB, it lists it as "487,862, 256 KB." The other shows GB directly. Yes, I know both are roughly the same... it's about 462G, about what I'd expect from a nominally 500G drive.

Ha! I've got a bigger drive: 487,862,296 KB.

If you go to the left side menu, highlight "MFR. DIAGS", and press select, you will get the multi-page diagnostics (43 pages on my 8642HDC.) This is the same as accessing the DIAGNOSTICS by using the front panel "POWER" button. Hold that power button in for about 5 seconds and the power icon will start blinking. Release it, and momentarily press it again. This should take you to the multi-page diagnostics. The "HOST COMPONENT INFORMATION" page, about 2-3 pages after the HDD page (or 25/43 for me) shows all the application versions.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

No more kneeling down on the floor like I used to do a decade ago! I also recall FDC, RDC values can be useful in troubleshooting (meaning were they too much out range of what others were getting).

Again, thanks for your help...

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page