1Likes

post #61 of 146 Old 12-25-2013, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirica View Post

So frustrated with Directv and their upgrade policy. I've been a Directv customer for 12 years at the same location and 4 years before that at my previous location. I pay just under $200 a month for service. That's Premier + HD Extra + Fox Soccer Plus + some fees. I shared my history with the first level CSR and then the supervisor and both told me there is no way to wave the $299 upgrade fee until November for my account. Given that Dish will give me all those channels for $85/month and no installation fee including the Hopper I'm just about to tell these guys to go take a hike. This thread has helped me think about making the switch. Oh...and Slingplayer built-in?? I was a Sling early adopter and would definitely see that as a plus!

I also normally sign up for Sunday Ticket Max but this year I told them to take me off the automatic renewal. If it doesn't go well below the $300/yr pricing I'll skip that for the first time since it's inception. I love my 49ers but I can find a local sports bar when they aren't on a national broadcast.

[/RANT]

Thanks for listening.

Update: Called Direct to cancel yesterday. Got the very helpful retention lady who gave me Genie for free including installation, gave me a discount on Sunday Ticket, lowered my package price by $55/month for 1 year, and had me sign up for Verizon wireless which gave me better bandwidth (especially up) and eliminated my landline phone bill forever.

I'm in a better place today as everything has been installed already!

That's what you have to do, really.  I've been getting discounts and free upgrades for years.  All I do is call them up and ask them if I'm still in a contract, which I already know I'm not.  They tell me no and then ask why I ask the question.  I tell them that I'm looking for a better deal and Dish is going to give me a pretty good deal.  They then go into retention mode, giving free upgrades and discounts and such.  The last one I got I DID have to sign up with a 24 month contract, though, but I got a free upgrade to the HR-44-200 and about $40 in discounts for a year.  He also told me to call up in a year when my discounts die out and see what I can get then.  Whether they will give me any more discounts in a year, I don't know, as I will still be in a contract, but I think they will give me something.  After all, if they don't, they know that they can lose me in a year.  But I Love the Genie and I know from two people when comparing the two companies, DirecTV's service and customer service is much better than Dish's.  They are constantly having disappointing experiences with Dish, but they are locked into a contract, so they can't do anything about it right now.  You live and learn. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 08:49 AM

I have been a DirecTV customer for about 15 years, and i upgraded to the genie in 2013, and I didn't have any problems with it!

post #63 of 146 Old 01-06-2014, 01:17 PM

The Genie is great, isn't it?  It's nice to finally be able to record something and not have to make sure that it is not recording at the exact same time as something else.  Just because I want to record something doesn't mean that I want to have to watch it at the same time it's recording.  It's nice to have that freedom.  The only problem I've really had with the HR-44, and I understand it is a problem that everyone has with the Genie, is that the caller ID gives me ghost calls when I'm on the phone.  Every minute or so when I am actually on the phone, whether I've called someone or someone has called me, the caller ID window pops up saying that I have an incoming call, but with no info.  If I'm on the phone for any extended time, my entire 25 call allotment on the caller ID list is filled with the ghost calls.  Supposedly they are working on a software fix for this.  Other than this problem with it, the caller ID works fine.

The other day, though, I did wake up after falling asleep and found a film I was watching from the DVR had just locked on the screen, as if it had been paused.  No matter what I did it would not unlock, so I had to do a red button reset.  I don't know if this was a Genie problem, or just a glitch that could have happened on any DVR.  It hasn't happened since.  Hopefully it won't.  Who knows?  

Other than this, the Genie is a great piece of equipment and makes the viewing experience that much better.  Now if I could just get the phone company to run fiber optic lines down my road, I could use the "on demand" service.  But that will never, EVER happen on my dead end road in the boonies.  Such is life.  It's too bad that I can't take advantage of something free because I can't get the internet I need to be able to do it.  It's not compatible with Hughesnet.  Oh well.   

post #64 of 146 Old 01-17-2014, 06:50 AM

Hahaha...laughing my ass off!  Great post!  :p

post #65 of 146 Old 01-21-2014, 10:09 PM

Liked: 22
Can someone tell me why the HR44 Genie is listed on Amazon from Directv for over $600, yet other seller son there have it less than half price? Can I even buy my own form a seller and still get it activated? I just signed back up for Directv, due to being unhappy with Tivo and my cable co. performance and so I got the free genie, but of course would rather have the 3TB than the 1TB one.

Main reason I ever switched away from Directv is because I hated how you "lease" a receiver instead of own it and so every time you switch to a new box, you lose your shows.

Btw, what makes me mad is they did exactly as I figured they would. When I left Directv they kept calling, begging me to come back and offered low prices, yet now when I am the one who wants to come back, they only give me the same offer the new customers can get. I kept telling them there's got to be another department I can talk to, which would have been the one who constantly called offering better deals, but they kept claiming I was talking to the right people, blah blah blah. I'm going to be paying more than the first year I had been with them, when they HAD been claiming they would charge me even less than that year's charges if I came back to them. The first guy let me hang up and wouldn't lower it and the second didn't act like he would lower it if I backed out either, so now not much else to do as I don't feel like the effort of pretending I want to cancel to see if they give a discount. tongue.gif

If I ever cancel directv again, I am going to go off on them every time they call me, harassing, when they then give no extra discount, anyway, when I do come back.
post #66 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 05:52 AM

Already mad at Directv and thinking of canceling and getting Dish. The guy told me what the price would be many times, was still more than I should have had to pay after their calling to beg me to come back for less, then I get the email and it says #10 higher than he told me! And another $10 fee (use tax) that he told me nothing about. Dish will be about the same price as directv even IF they lower it down $10 and I hear more good about the hopper than the genie, usually. Ridiculous how every company related to tv is dishonest.
post #67 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM

A couple questions in case I don't find the answers myself:
1. Is commercial skip ONLY for primetime shows?
2. Why does it say you can record 6 channels at once, if it's only 3? I am only going to use this on ONE tv, in case that matters. And with directv you get the genie mini or w/e it's called for free also so that could make a difference in the long run if you have to pay for dish's hardware for the second tv.

ANyway, for now I got mad and canceled the new directv purchase because they told me the second year would be like $15 more than the guy told me when I rodered! And the best they would offer to keep me from canceling was a $75 credit, which is practically nothing over a 24 month contract.

Only problem is that for me to get the channels I want, minus one, I will be out around $200 extra if I go to dish.

edit: looks like the answer to #1 is yep. So that makes that feature no big deal to me. And both have the same amount of space and I already know directv can work here and don't know if trees will block dish, and directv is less expensive over two years than dish, so I may have to go back to yet another directv order unless dish gives me some extra discount.
post #68 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

A couple questions in case I don't find the answers myself:
1. Is commercial skip ONLY for primetime shows?
2. Why does it say you can record 6 channels at once, if it's only 3? I am only going to use this on ONE tv, in case that matters. And with directv you get the genie mini or w/e it's called for free also so that could make a difference in the long run if you have to pay for dish's hardware for the second tv.

ANyway, for now I got mad and canceled the new directv purchase because they told me the second year would be like $15 more than the guy told me when I rodered! And the best they would offer to keep me from canceling was a $75 credit, which is practically nothing over a 24 month contract.

Only problem is that for me to get the channels I want, minus one, I will be out around $200 extra if I go to dish.

edit: looks like the answer to #1 is yep. So that makes that feature no big deal to me. And both have the same amount of space and I already know directv can work here and don't know if trees will block dish, and directv is less expensive over two years than dish, so I may have to go back to yet another directv order unless dish gives me some extra discount.

1: PrimeTime AnyTime is an automatic commercial skip for prime time shows on the 4 big networks. You still have a skip button that skips 30 seconds at a time for all the rest.
2: The Hopper has 3 tuners. During PTAT all four networks are recorded off one tuner. Your have two left to give you a total of 6 shows possible. If you have an over the air antenna, you have the ability to add an OTA dongle that will add one extra tuner for a total of 7, 4 during non prime hours....

Bobby 

post #69 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 10:15 AM

There's no way to disable the primetime auto recording? And even when it's not prime time, it's still using that one up? Also, if you're saying you can record from antenna, that's a nice advantage to dish, as that would come in handy if weather knocks the satellite out or something.
post #70 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

You are able to disable Prime Time, there are many configurations of disable. It will leave you with three satellite tuners all the time. If you have it enabled, you are able to use all three tuners during all non prime hours.

Bobby 

post #71 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM

So basically, you can never record more than 2 channels at once (non-prime-time) and watch one other channel? SO including what you';re watching and recording, it could only get up to 3? (or I guess if you're watching the recorded shows, you would have three you could be using to record and watch the other shows?)

And ooooook I called Dish and the guy was really over the top and rude and pretty much insulting. And he was going to give me nothing better than listed online other than $75 in gift cards, as directv also offered me. That is not much, over a 24 month period.

Any of you who DO have Dish can you confirm this which he claimed? He claimed that I don't need to worry about the second year price because Dish is always offering new deals so I will not have to pay full price in year 2 either and can always change into new deals? I highly doubt he's doing anything other than BSing with that. He already lied that directv would be more expensive, when I told him repeatedly I already priced it, and they're LESS expensive. he said they would charge for HD and the genie etc blah blah blah. Yeah and INCLUDING those charges they're still less than Dish and during year two it's at least $10 difference, so in two years that's hundreds f extra dollars spent at Dish.

I've wasted hour after hour with these companies and all are misleading. Charing use tax never discussed, saying it would cost x in eyar two, when it doesn't, etc.
post #72 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

You will pay more in year 2, no matter what that CSR said. Trust me...... You are totally correct in your first paragraph. It sounds like you already made your mind up, simply go for it.... wink.gif

Bobby 

post #73 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 04:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby94928 View Post

You will pay more in year 2, no matter what that CSR said. Trust me...... You are totally correct in your first paragraph. It sounds like you already made your mind up, simply go for it.... wink.gif
Apples to apples, Dish is always cheaper than DirecTV after promos expire because they still offer free HD for life, which amounts to a $10/month savings. You can generally call every year and get some kind of discount or freebie, but nothing compared to your original signup deal. Both will nickle and dime you to death, so you really need to do your homework. You can't rely on CSRs to tell your the whole truth. What you can do is price out your system and service on both websites pretty accurately. What you can't do is go ahead with the install and back out a few days later. I think you've only got 24 hrs. So if you're going to switch, you better hurry.

If you can't live with 3 tuners on Dish, you can always get a second Hopper or a Super Joey or two.

I think the keys to getting what you want from any provider are finding a CSR willing to deal, be nice and play dumb. If you don't like the attitude of one CSR, call back and get another. Dish and DirecTV are no different than other companies in that regard, all have good and bad CSRs.
post #74 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
A heads-up. Contrary to all reason, Dish is eliminating HD Free For Life (for new customers) beginning Feb 1. So, if you go with Dish, do so fast.
post #75 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 09:37 PM

Well, on the site it already says nothing about free HD for life. It says for 24 months.

I talked to three people at directv yesterday and all three offered close to the same, so I don't think they can even give much of a deal. the best offer they did was offer to throw in a $75 card. And that Dish guy kept insisting I would be paying "way more" if I stayed with the cable co. and I was like umm no I know how much I am paying with them and am under a deal and he kept insisting I would pay more for theirs. lol Money-wise, over two years I would come out better not moving to anyone at all, but I am sick of my issues with cable.
post #76 of 146 Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM

Also, to just CALL either directv or dish with a technical question you are saying you have to pay??? That's ridiculousness to have to pay them to help you fix THEIR equipment you're leasing. Someone I talked to who has Dish says he's called them multiple times and they never charged him anything.

And so the directv one has no commercial skip button automatically? And what button does it once activated? I sue thought I remembered using a commercial skip button on the HR-24.
post #77 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 01:28 AM

If I can't get any of these losers to lower prices closer to what they claimed, worst case scenario is I may get the VERY low package of Entertainment form directv for most of the eyar, and sometimes use Choice, because there is only ONE channel above choice that I care about and there are only two channels in choice that I care about whicha en't in entertainment and they're sports related. Then MOST sports related channels I could get in the sports extra pack, and although that LOOKS more expensive than just going with Choice, it's not, because I know from the two times I used it with directv that when you try to cancel they offer it for as little as $4 per month.

So basically for around 9 months of the year MOST of what I want is n the very bottom package, which is only $39.99 per year, even after the genie dvr fee is added in. Only thing is if I change packages around then the asses charge $10 to even change the package, which they lied about and told me you could do free IIRC.

For dish the cheapest package I could get all non-sports channels from entertainment in would be costing $12 more for year one and a whopping $20 more for year two. So if I could go without those couple sports channels, I would be saving around $400 in two years! Or even if I were to keep the higher package for a few months each year, I would still be coming put hundreds better off with directv. And costs after two years is meaningless, as they will give you another deal to stay with them.

So now just comes down to if they will still give me the card they promised, despite me declining originally, and also if they would discount ENOUGH I would like the directv ultimate or the dish top 250. Even comparing those two, directv is less, if dish doesn't give a discount for year two.

So, anyway, it's still a mess, but I may end up only paying $39.99 per month for a year, even with the genie, and if I decided local sports channels, MBLTV, espnu, and espnnews aren't THAT needed, it could stay at that and then I think it would only go up to like $60 for year two.
post #78 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You'll get a very rude awakening in year three when you get hit with that $25 advanced receiver fee plus the regular price for your package. That's the primary reason I no longer have satellite service. With cable, I can bring my own DVR and avoid those insane fees.
post #79 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 AM

Finally, after talking to FIVE directv people over the past few days, I am set up closer to how I wanted. If you figure in the $100 credit I am getting, for the two years I am going to average paying about $51 per month for those two years.
post #80 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 08:32 AM

The receiver fee is not the only thing that matters. What matters is total price, including channels plus the receiver. Dish does still charge $12 for the receiver in year 3 and no longer offers HD for life, so that's $10 more also. Directv even still gives a $10 discount on the package price through year three.

It comes down to what packages you need. For the main channels I need, I would have come out paying about $10 per month more for the first 24 months with dish so this saved me hundreds over them. Then for year 3, I'll simply work out a new deal with Directv. Main thing now is just hoping the signal is fine. Right when I left directv last time my signal was lost and I hope it was due to wind and not due to some tree growing and blocking it or something.
The guy I talked to from Dish yesterday was possibly the most jerky person I've talked to from either company, so I hated if I would go to them, anyway. I did kind of want Blockbuster at Home, though.
post #81 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 08:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I'm pretty sure Blockbust at Home is dead now, at least the disc by mail part. The streaming part sucks beyond belief. True, they have thousands of titles, but they are 99.99% crap. I did a search the other day by rating and found one 4-star title, one out of thousands.

Anyway, sounds like a good deal you got there with DirecTV. Enjoy.
post #82 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM

It's still called at home, I think, for the streaming portion. But good to know it doesn't have great selection, since I was kind of wanting it. I did trials of both streaming and mail for Netflix recently and I actually liked the mail part, due to the obviously greats election that way, but I was trialing 3 discs at a time and am not going to pay over $20 a month for three discs, but may go back to it some way or another. I actually tried blocbuster by mail also a few years ago and it was abou the same.

Anyway, I had people telling me to get Dish and some telling me to not get either, but I am satisfied with what I got price-wise, for now and if after two years it goes up too much, I will have some options then. I did have to lose 2 channels I would have preferred to get, but one of them I could get in the sports pack just for a month or two per year and not eneds the rest of the time.
post #83 of 146 Old 01-23-2014, 12:05 PM

Does anyone have an idea why people sell the genie on Amazon? Is it still considered leading from Directv? If it's truly one you would own, will Directv refuse to activate them, thus making it worthless buying them? I hate to pay for something when I get the genie free through Directv, but the hr44 has more space and then I would obviously rather own than lease, also. The customer service woman was all misinformed on it as she claimed it doesn't have more space than the other!
post #84 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I agree DTV pretty much doesn't care about loyal customers, I've been with them on and off over the years only to piss me off every time. I think they call your bluff, figure you would have been gone by now, will stay with them or return in the future. My one year just passed and my bill increased $30, I called and complained about that and my crappy DVR. the best they did for me was $10 per month off and a Genie for $49 and install for $49. I hate starting another 2 year contract, I hate paying $98 but for my needs and pic quality I can't beat it.

As a CSR for DirecTV, I just want to let you know that the $30 promotional discount was just that.  A promotion.  That's not the full or permanent price.  That's clearly marked in your contract, the website, your confirmation email/letter, and I'm willing to bet big money when you called to set up your service the agent said something along the lines of "the full price of your package is $## but because we want to thank you for choosing DirecTV, you can get this package for the first year at a discounted rate of $##!".  So while you want to complain that "the best we did for you" was $10 when your credit expired, be thankful you even got that.  No company, not DirecTV or Dish Network, HAS to give you discounts.  We do it as a courtesy.

post #85 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have an idea why people sell the genie on Amazon? Is it still considered leading from Directv? If it's truly one you would own, will Directv refuse to activate them, thus making it worthless buying them? I hate to pay for something when I get the genie free through Directv, but the hr44 has more space and then I would obviously rather own than lease, also. The customer service woman was all misinformed on it as she claimed it doesn't have more space than the other!

Nooooooo.  Do not buy a Genie used on Amazon or eBay.  I can guarantee if you do, then DirecTV will not activate it.  The Genie isn't available for purchase yet, you can only lease it.  So if someone is selling it, then they probably defaulted on their contract.  If you call DirecTV to activate a receiver that was to be returned at cancellation, we would ask that you send it back and if you don't, we can charge you for the non return fee.  Buying used receivers isn't smart, but definitely a no no with the Genie.

post #86 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 12:13 AM

Quote:

Can someone tell me why the HR44 Genie is listed on Amazon from Directv for over $600, yet other seller son there have it less than half price? Can I even buy my own form a seller and still get it activated? I just signed back up for Directv, due to being unhappy with Tivo and my cable co. performance and so I got the free genie, but of course would rather have the 3TB than the 1TB one.

Main reason I ever switched away from Directv is because I hated how you "lease" a receiver instead of own it and so every time you switch to a new box, you lose your shows.

Btw, what makes me mad is they did exactly as I figured they would. When I left Directv they kept calling, begging me to come back and offered low prices, yet now when I am the one who wants to come back, they only give me the same offer the new customers can get. I kept telling them there's got to be another department I can talk to, which would have been the one who constantly called offering better deals, but they kept claiming I was talking to the right people, blah blah blah. I'm going to be paying more than the first year I had been with them, when they HAD been claiming they would charge me even less than that year's charges if I came back to them. The first guy let me hang up and wouldn't lower it and the second didn't act like he would lower it if I backed out either, so now not much else to do as I don't feel like the effort of pretending I want to cancel to see if they give a discount. tongue.gif

If I ever cancel directv again, I am going to go off on them every time they call me, harassing, when they then give no extra discount, anyway, when I do come back.

Do not buy the Genie used.  I'm a CSR for DTV and know for a fact that the Genie is not available for purchase yet, only lease.  That means, someone leased it, was asked to return it, and didn't.  If you try to activate it, we will ask you to send it back and you're out that money.  Either way, we can't activate it.  As for the other receivers, you can choose to purchase it rather than lease, but it's much more expensive and definitely won't work with your free upgrade.

post #87 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 AM

Quote:

Also, to just CALL either directv or dish with a technical question you are saying you have to pay??? That's ridiculousness to have to pay them to help you fix THEIR equipment you're leasing. Someone I talked to who has Dish says he's called them multiple times and they never charged him anything.

And so the directv one has no commercial skip button automatically? And what button does it once activated? I sue thought I remembered using a commercial skip button on the HR-24.

With DirecTV, there is no skip button, exactly.  There is a button that automatically fast forwards 30 seconds, however.  And no, if you call in for tech support with DirecTV, you do not have to pay.  If we have to send a service call out, then that depends on if you have the protection plan.  The protection plan acts like cell phone insurance, but for your receivers.  Yeah, you may think it's insane that we charge you to fix equipment that you're leasing, but keep in mind that you'd still have to do the same with a leased car.  The equipment is in your home, we have no idea what you're doing to it.  For all we know you're using it as a dart board.  So yeah, we charge for service calls, but not phone based tech support.

post #88 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 02:15 AM

Thanks. But as far as the genies, they're marked as new on Amazon. So what they're doing, I have no idea. I know in the past, when directv definitely would activate customers' owned equipment, when they would cancel, directv would insist they are supposed to send the receiver back to them when they never even keased it, they ahd legitimately bought it when allowed.

All I know is it's listed as new on Amazon. So I'm, confused as to what's going on.

What I WISH I could have done is convinced Directv to give me the old package back (it was one where they don't have it anymore, but kept honoring it while I was still a customer). Because as it is now I won't get 2 channels I got back then or I would have to be paying freakin $20 more per month in year 2 just for only 2 channels I care much about.
post #89 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 199
somelogin

My wife has an interesting outlook on business. She thinks businesses should be more interested in their employees and their customers and not so interested in making money. I point out to her that without making money, they'll soon go out of business and all their employees will be unemployed and their customers might have to either go without or go with another company that's even worst.

Fact of the matter is that if you don't at least do a minimum to take care of customers, those customers will be gone anyway.

You just have to decide if they're doing enough for you and if not, then what are your alternatives.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #90 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 05:33 AM

What I don't understand, though, is how ANY companies related to tv can still charge this much. There are news stories all the time about how more and more people are using NO cable or satellite tv, so I would have thought they would have to LOWER prices to still keep enough customers. Yet they go up instead and get rid of channels, such as TWC.

I am going to try one more thing... It was supposed to give NFL ticket 2014 free (I assume 2014 means next season, otherwise what would I get out of this season's when the season is over?) and I am going to see if I can convince them to switch it to MLB Extra Innings, but since I already signed up they will probably say no.
Reply HDTV Recorders