post #91 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydbrah View Post

With DirecTV, there is no skip button, exactly.  There is a button that automatically fast forwards 30 seconds, however.  And no, if you call in for tech support with DirecTV, you do not have to pay.  If we have to send a service call out, then that depends on if you have the protection plan.  The protection plan acts like cell phone insurance, but for your receivers.  Yeah, you may think it's insane that we charge you to fix equipment that you're leasing, but keep in mind that you'd still have to do the same with a leased car.  The equipment is in your home, we have no idea what you're doing to it.  For all we know you're using it as a dart board.  So yeah, we charge for service calls, but not phone based tech support.

You can change that fast forward 30 seconds to skip forward 30 seconds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydbrah View Post

As a CSR for DirecTV, I just want to let you know that the $30 promotional discount was just that.  A promotion.  That's not the full or permanent price.  That's clearly marked in your contract, the website, your confirmation email/letter, and I'm willing to bet big money when you called to set up your service the agent said something along the lines of "the full price of your package is $## but because we want to thank you for choosing DirecTV, you can get this package for the first year at a discounted rate of $##!".  So while you want to complain that "the best we did for you" was $10 when your credit expired, be thankful you even got that.  No company, not DirecTV or Dish Network, HAS to give you discounts.  We do it as a courtesy.

As a courtesy let me tell you you're attitude sucks.Be thankful because I didn't have to do that but it's the best I can do.
post #93 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

What I don't understand, though, is how ANY companies related to tv can still charge this much. There are news stories all the time about how more and more people are using NO cable or satellite tv, so I would have thought they would have to LOWER prices to still keep enough customers. Yet they go up instead and get rid of channels, such as TWC.

...snip....

Question.....is there any way to get ESPN and other national satellite and cable only channels without either satellite or cable?

I would think many are in the situation that they'd go OTA if it wasn't for a few channels that they couldn't get without cable or satellite.

However, with tech being the way it is, I wouldn't be surprised if these content providers don't all figure out that they could make more money if they sold content online. Then the companies that provide internet would jack up their prices and you're back to where you started.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #94 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 06:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I don't think you can get espn channels OTA, but I am not the one considering dropping cable. Apparently many others do, though, so I would benefit if they would get smart and lower prices to keep some from canceling.
post #95 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM

Can't even get through the installation process without already having issues. Without me realizing, they put the dish in a place I told the first guy (a second, his supervisor had to show up also) it could not go. So now once it's confirmed to me it can't stay this way I have to complain to directv that whoever they used for this ignored me and have to come back and do it another way. And the guy kept acting like there was no other way to do it. Why? Because it was "against their policy" to put it in a bucket of concrete. they just used my dish from last time I was with directv, which was already in the right place, in a bucket of concrete. Instead of using it the way it was, they took it off the pole, put a different pole on it, which was their regulation size, and then attached it in a way not allowed here. I'm, going to be mad if I can't keep directv all due to them having a policy not to put it in a bucket. How ridiculous.
post #96 of 146 Old 01-24-2014, 02:59 PM

Well, this is baffling... They say it's ok how it was installed. I thought for sure they would complain and say to get Directv to exchange it. I hope they didn't accidentally look at someone else's dish and think it was mine because I don't understand how it's allowed the way these people did it, but not the original way theyw ere going to do it, which was flat told to me was not allowed.

edit: well this has been a mess and they didn't add on a $10 credit they were supposed to, but they did take off the whole home fee, which they never said they would be doing so once they straighten out the other issue, my monthly bill is actually going to be less, including tax, than they said it would be before tax.
post #97 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 09:52 AM

Is it easy to add space for recording? Seems lie when I had the HR-24, even that one would allow a HDD to be added on, but wasn't exactly "ideal" in how it could have been done. Main reason I even switched to cable was to get TiVo where I could KEEP my shows if I switched to someone else. Also what's up with Amazon saying the hr44 is 3TB, when the genie is really 1TB? If that is a different version, why does it have the same model number?

And yet another customer support person claimed you do NOT have to pay to change packages up or down, and AGAIN in the email it says you do get a $10 fee for dropping down.
post #98 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 10:38 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks. But as far as the genies, they're marked as new on Amazon. So what they're doing, I have no idea. I know in the past, when directv definitely would activate customers' owned equipment, when they would cancel, directv would insist they are supposed to send the receiver back to them when they never even keased it, they ahd legitimately bought it when allowed.

All I know is it's listed as new on Amazon. So I'm, confused as to what's going on.

What I WISH I could have done is convinced Directv to give me the old package back (it was one where they don't have it anymore, but kept honoring it while I was still a customer). Because as it is now I won't get 2 channels I got back then or I would have to be paying freakin $20 more per month in year 2 just for only 2 channels I care much about.

It really depends on the package.  I don't know you, and I don't know what package you had, but I'm going to go out on a limb and assume some things.  You had Choice Xtra Classic, and you want to get Cloo and Chiller back?  That's the most requested expired package and those two channels are the biggest.  Either way, there are some occasions where our system will let us reinstate your old package.  Call and ask, the worst that can happen is we can't do it.  But hey, if we can then great.

Back to the receivers.  If you buy a receiver that was purchased and not leased and the seller's the account ended in good standing (not in collections), then you should have no problem activating the equipment.  But as it stands now, the Genie is not available for purchase from DirecTV.  And besides.  If you're going to pay $600 for a receiver from Amazon, why wouldn't you just call DirecTV and get it brand new, straight from the factory for only $299?  Yeah, it'll only be leased, but why does that matter if you can't use it if you leave the service?

post #99 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 12:01 PM

Because if I were to leave directv and then come back, I would have my recordings. I sometimes switch from provider to provider to get discounts, either when a contract is up or sometimes pay to get out early. But I would rather just stay with Directv anyway and hopefully get some new discounts later on. When I told them I was canceling a yeara go they immediately offered me new discounts, but I already had my mind made up to leave, which was not such a great idea.

On Amazon, some sellers are selling for around $200-$300, but I' pretty sure Directv still considers them as leased either way.

Also, you were wrong about the two channels, but right about the package. Actually there are a few more channels I forgot I am losing, also, such as WGN, but oh well. I decided those few channels aren't worth paying hundreds of more dollars for. And in fact I haven't watched a show on any channel not in my current package in a long time, anyway, so pretty good to get such a low price and almost every channel I cared much about. I also forgot about losing encore channels, but I don't watch them much either.
post #100 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 12:36 PM

Umm why in the world does having native turned off make HD programs be in SD? I remember that setting from when I used the HR-24, and I sure don't remember it having to eb on for things to be in HD, yet apparently it does, as by default it was turned off and HD channels were showing as 480i or 480p (I forget which) and then switched to 1080i when I turned native on. I was thinking if you turned it off it would upconvert not downconvert.

edit: Ran into annoyance #1. I would have thought by now Directv would have learned to put ability to dim the front panel when on. Now I'll have to cover it if I watch a movie.
post #101 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 02:24 PM

Liked: 20
There are directv forums that can answer your questions. You need to go into the menu. Click on settings and help. Then settings then display then tv resolutions and make sure they are all checked..
post #102 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 03:07 PM

They already WERE checked.
post #103 of 146 Old 01-25-2014, 03:14 PM

Oh boy..
post #104 of 146 Old 01-26-2014, 06:24 AM

Yep, oh boy, they were checked, were all having check marks by them, etc.... so why, again , would I go to the settings for them when I already checked them?

Back on topic, I didn't even know Directv used to give free HD for life and I had it! When I called telling them that they didn't properly give me my $10 off due to auto bill pay and all that, someone called me back thinking I was asking for the same $10 for free HD for life that he said I had in the past. I didn't even remember I had it or that they offered it.
post #105 of 146 Old 01-26-2014, 09:52 AM

I was telling you to make sure they were checked..get it? Why don't you call directv and ask them?
post #106 of 146 Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 AM

I know, and they were checked. And there's nothing to call and ask directv, as all of the channels seemed proper when native is turned on. I just don't know why in the world they would have 1080i channels in 480 when native is off.
post #107 of 146 Old 01-27-2014, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Turn native off and only check whatever resolutions you want everything to be sent out as (I'm guessing most likely 1080i and maybe 1080p if your TV accepts 1080p24).

Then you might have to hit the format button on your remote, or the front of the receiver until it switches to that resolution. From then on it should always send it out at that resolution only.

For example if you only check 1080i it will send out all 480 and 720 channels upscaled to 1080i, and send 1080i channels out as is. If you have 1080p checked and you switch to one of the 3D channels (if you have a 3D TV) or the 1080p PPV channels, or download a 1080p movie from PPV then it will send those out as 1080p. It will still do this even though you have native turned off (native only affects 480 and 720 channels).

As far as the DirecTV receivers being sold on Amazon, most of them are not owned units being sold, they are leased units being leased to you. They will have to be returned to DirecTV if you cancel service. There are a few places to get owned DirecTV receivers (eBay, Craigslist, forums like DBSTalk.com, etc) but doing so you need to make sure that you get the receiver RID number and check with DirecTVs Access Card department to make sure that they are in fact owned and do not have a balance due on them. Once you confirm that they are owned and have no balance due you can buy them and activate them on your account, but you will have to order a new access card for them for $20. Also these owned receivers will still cost the same $6/month as leased receivers. If you have an owned receiver and cancel your DirecTV service you will be able to keep the receiver, or sell it to someone else. However, the recordings stored on the DVR won't be able to be watched unless you have an active DirecTV account. So don't plan on signing up for DirecTV, recording a bunch of stuff and then cancelling and still being able to watch those shows after you have cancelled.
post #108 of 146 Old 02-01-2014, 04:07 PM

I guess there's no need to turn it off anyway, although seems like I recall some negative about keeping it on (from first time I had directv).

Man, all of these companies are ridiculous and I have talked to AT LEAST 20 or more people from several companies. FINALLY will APPARENTLY soon have my bills how I want for tv, internet, and phone, technically through three different companies, but all combined for around $80-$85 per month. A company who ahs three letters in their name, with two of them being a T, is full of liars, so I hate that I am likely going to do business with them. They told me a bill would be HALF of what I found out it would really be, so luckily I found out their lies before installation where I could switch some things around and use a different method to save more.
post #109 of 146 Old 02-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Hi guys,
Newbie here. Please let me know if my question should be directed to another place on AVS.

Dish's PQ is not as good as Directv ?? That's what I'm finding on my tv.

I have a Sharp Elite Pro-70X5FD, beautiful pq. It's been pro calibrated.

I had Directv for 9 years and recently switched to Dish hopper.
I only watch hd programs. I find dish does not provide the quality Directv did.
Example is the Superbowl I watched today. All the players and even the crowd in the seats had a blur halo around them. The grass would be sharp then go blurry, then sharp, blurry, and that's with a still shot.
I've checked all my setting and nothing has change since I've switched over from Directv. After the game I put in some blu-rays they are perfect. Actually much clearer than what dish/directv provides.
It seems like the signal dish sends is not as clear as what Directv sends.
I'll call dish tomorrow and ask what they think, but what are they going to say? I've checked all the setting in dish, which is set up for hd.
I'd like to find out why the pq is not as good as Directv. Maybe the hopper is defective?
If not, I'll have to eat the early disconnect and go back to Dish.
Has anyone else mirrored my experience?

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #110 of 146 Old 02-03-2014, 03:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I saw the same thing during the game yesterday through my Tivo and OTA. Had to change the noise setting on my TV (turning it on from it's normal off setting) for it to look better.

In other words, don't go by what you saw on the Superbowl. Look at other content before deciding.

Speaking of the game yesterday......the commercials really were the best part. lol

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #111 of 146 Old 02-03-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Hi guys,
Newbie here. Please let me know if my question should be directed to another place on AVS.

Dish's PQ is not as good as Directv ?? That's what I'm finding on my tv.
I thought this was common knowledge. DirecTV 1080i is 1920x1080, but Dish's 1080i is only 1440x1080. Does anybody actually notice this? Very few. I know I don't.

Aside from that, Fox is only 720p, so it's the same resolution on both Dish and DirecTV. Unless Dish's is highly compressed, you shouldn't see any difference. My guess is you haven't disabled motion flow on your TV for that input. It will result in exactly what you've described. You should be able to run some numbers and see the exact bit rate on your recordings and ask a DirecTV user if they are the same. I doubt they'll be any different.
TheKrell likes this.
post #112 of 146 Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

I thought this was common knowledge. DirecTV 1080i is 1920x1080, but Dish's 1080i is only 1440x1080. Does anybody actually notice this? Very few. I know I don't.

Aside from that, Fox is only 720p, so it's the same resolution on both Dish and DirecTV. Unless Dish's is highly compressed, you shouldn't see any difference. My guess is you haven't disabled motion flow on your TV for that input. It will result in exactly what you've described. You should be able to run some numbers and see the exact bit rate on your recordings and ask a DirecTV user if they are the same. I doubt they'll be any different.

mdavej, thanks for your input. I did not know Dish was only 1440 x 1080. I assumed when these services say they provide hd in 1080i it would be 1920 x 1080. I'll have to look into that.
As far as disabling motion flow (Elite calls it Motion Enhancement), I had 4 hrs during the Super Bowl to try every combination my tv allows. That includes Motion Enhancement (MH) off, 120Hz Low, 120Hz high and FluidMotion. All four setting made no difference. The halo was there when the players were standing still.

I tried a lot of the other setting beside what the pro's did. I tried Standard, Movie, Movie THX. I even went into Movie THX and plugged in what Cnet used. Nada, nothing. I could not get rid of the blur.
I did not have to change any of the setting when I had Directv. As I said, after the game, I put in a couple blu-rays to confirm the tv setting were correct.

Anyone think it maybe the Hopper is defective?
I've got a lot of money invested into my gear to have a compressed signal showing it's ugly head. Garbage in garbage out. The Elite will reward you with the good and show you the bad.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #113 of 146 Old 02-04-2014, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

In that case, I can't explain what you're seeing. My Hopper never looked like that. I could understand Tim Tebow having a halo, but not any of the players in the Super Bowl.

Not sure how your TV is connected to your other devices, but if your blu-ray is on a different input than Dish, any comparisons are pointless, as each input has its own distinct settings.

When you research Dish resolution, look for the term HD-lite.
post #114 of 146 Old 02-04-2014, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post

In that case, I can't explain what you're seeing. My Hopper never looked like that. I could understand Tim Tebow having a halo, but not any of the players in the Super Bowl.

Not sure how your TV is connected to your other devices, but if your blu-ray is on a different input than Dish, any comparisons are pointless, as each input has its own distinct settings.

When you research Dish resolution, look for the term HD-lite.

Elite, Oppo and Hopper plug into a Richard Gray for power. Oppo and Hopper have their HMDI cables plugged into the Anthem D2v processor. HMDI out of the D2v into HDMI #1 in the Elite. Setting are equal.
I appreciate your help.
Dish is sending me another Hopper to see if it's that.
I'll look into HD-lite.
Cheers,
bekindrewind.

post #115 of 146 Old 02-06-2014, 03:18 PM

Liked: 10
I haven't used the Hopper, but I can say that it tells you what to watch.
post #116 of 146 Old 02-06-2014, 06:19 PM

So far, I am happy being back with Directv. And during days of downpours, no signal loss at all, which was indeed how it was last time with directv also. Even the cable co. has more probs in bad weather for me than directv.

I've had a mess with liar companies, so still trying to get charges proper with everyone, but once all that crap gets sorted out I am finally done switching providers for anything for a while or hopefully ever.
post #117 of 146 Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:

So far, I am happy being back with Directv. And during days of downpours, no signal loss at all, which was indeed how it was last time with directv also. Even the cable co. has more probs in bad weather for me than directv.

I've had a mess with liar companies, so still trying to get charges proper with everyone, but once all that crap gets sorted out I am finally done switching providers for anything for a while or hopefully ever.

You're back with Directv.
Who did you have before them?
Why did you change?
Did you ever have Dish and if so, what's your take on it vs Directv.
I look forward to your reply.
Cheers.

post #118 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 12:53 PM

Comcast before them and switched mostly due to how picture and audio would scramble a few times basically every show and they just told me really it's too hard to fix because it could be a problem anywhere in the lines, the neighborhood, somewhere else, etc.... and I've seen that same problem elsewhere with them so I thought it was worth hassle of switching to stop having that annoying issue. I have not had Dish myself, but for what I wanted, it would have been more expensive and the customer service guy was one of the rudest I've ever dealt with, basically trying to taunt me into subscribing. I have lived somewhere where Dish was used and I remember it being pretty good, although for whatever reason it lost signal quite often.
post #119 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Dish is more geared towards sd programming, directv more hd and sports. Also iirc the hoppers prime time feature can't be fully disabled , so you'll lose tuners during prime time.

I'm new to sat. Now with directv coming from comcast. Very happy so far and saving money. $50 first year per month , $35 per mo in year 2
post #120 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You CAN disable primetime. And they have about the same HD as DirecTV.
TheKrell likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page