Dish Hopper or DirecTV Genie?????? - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yes, you can completely disable PTAT on Dish. And, Dish actually has more HD channels than Direct, with the exception of sports. They are not SD heavy....

Bobby 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, everyone in here said you can't use more than a couple tuners. And I know some channels, such as tvland, are ONLY hd on directv, not even on cable or dish either one. But comes down to which channels you want, as dish would have some directv doesn't, I assume.

As far as the genie, so far it hasn't had much of an issue, but oddly recorded a couple repeats as new episodes in the beginning.
post #123 of 146 Old 02-08-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Recording 6 things at once doesn't seem very limited to me. That TVLand thing is nonsense as well. More providers have it than not. I have it on cable along with 30+ other HD channels neither Dish or DirecTV have.
post #124 of 146 Old 02-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Not sure what you're talking about. If any cable company has it in HD, it's one in a limited area, because Comcast does not and only Directv does as far as satellite providers go.

Also, many have said repeatedly that you can't record 6 things at once, because those only tuners can ONLY record primetime and so you never have more than a few tuners no matter what time it is. If that is incorrect, then go through this thread and see all the countless times people said it.
post #125 of 146 Old 02-10-2014, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member

There is a chart in this forum showing at least 8 providers with TVLand HD. I'm watching it right now. Just because Dish and your local Comcast don't have it doesn't mean nobody else has it.

I had a Hopper for 2 years, so I know exactly what it can and cannot do. It doesn't matter what other posts say. If they contradict my own experience, they are wrong. Hopper's capabilities are well documented and understood. I don't know why people continue to post incorrect info about them.
post #126 of 146 Old 02-10-2014, 01:31 PM

Either way, doesn't matter to me. I have more than enough tuners as it is and not having the rude customer support Dish gave me. Also, like I said for the major companies, only ditrectv does. Regional ones don't count.

What's stupid is that tvland is even available in HD, but teenNick doesn't even HAVE an hd channel and that one has shows originally filmed in HD, whereas tvland is MOSTLY SD content. I am sick of channels where they have formerly HD content with black bars on all four sides.
post #127 of 146 Old 02-10-2014, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Either way, doesn't matter to me. I have more than enough tuners as it is and not having the rude customer support Dish gave me. Also, like I said for the major companies, only ditrectv does. Regional ones don't count.
OK, then I guess ALL cable companies are regional except AT&T and Verizon, both of which have TVLand HD and are what I would consider major companies. Other major regional providers that have it in most markets include Cox, Charter and your old provider, Comcast.

I don't care either since I don't have Dish or DirecTV or Comcast, and I don't even watch TVLand, so I guess I'll drop the subject.
post #128 of 146 Old 02-10-2014, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Sorry about posting wrong info. I thought I'd read prime time recording couldn't be completely disabled on dish.
post #129 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 05:44 AM

Directv hasn't changed a policy on premium channel recordings have they? A couple years ago I could record movies even during free previews and they never go away after you no longer have those channels. I am going to be annoyed if they go in deleting movies when I cancel channels. I assuming nothing changed in the past couple years, they only delete on demand stuff.
post #130 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Is there any way to get the Hallmark Movie channel in HD with Direct TV's Choice plan.

Thinking about going for Dish to DirectTV and this is one of those channels my wife wants.

As far as I can tell, Direct TV offers this channel on both their cheapest and most expensive plan.

I get when they may be trying to get you to subscribe to their most expensive package but then why offer it on their cheapest?

Looking at getting the Genie with two client boxes.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #131 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

Is there any way to get the Hallmark Movie channel in HD with Direct TV's Choice plan.

Thinking about going for Dish to DirectTV and this is one of those channels my wife wants.

As far as I can tell, Direct TV offers this channel on both their cheapest and most expensive plan.

I get when they may be trying to get you to subscribe to their most expensive package but then why offer it on their cheapest?

I'm certain the Hallmark Movie Channel (HD) is available in all the plans. If you're interested in going to Genie, why not just call Direct and ask that question while you're setting up the switch. It doesn't cost anything to ask and if the answer is no, you can decline....

Bobby 

post #132 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by somelogin View Post

Directv hasn't changed a policy on premium channel recordings have they? A couple years ago I could record movies even during free previews and they never go away after you no longer have those channels. I am going to be annoyed if they go in deleting movies when I cancel channels. I assuming nothing changed in the past couple years, they only delete on demand stuff.

Correct, anything recorded from the actual channels (in the 500s) will stick around and play just fine.

If you downloaded anything from On Demand it will be deleted, or quite playing (can't remember which). I believe that now days during the free previews you can't use On Demand at all anyway so that wouldn't be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post

I believe that Hallmark Movie Channel HD is only available as part of the HD Extra Pack (along with Crime & Investigation HD, HDNet Movies, MGM HD, Palladia HD, Sony Movie Channel HD, Smithsonian HD, Universal HD, and ShortsHD), which can be added to any channel package for $6/month. They also often are willing to give the HD Extra pack away free for 3 months at a time.

I think the website is wrong about it being included in the Select and Premier base packages.

http://www.directv.com/premiums/additional-channels?ACM=false&lpos=Header:3
post #133 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 04:36 PM

Thanks. And yes I am pretty sure Hallmark HD is only in that extra HD pack. Usually you can try it free for a few months also, but I haven't got around to it yet. So you could technically just do a few months free and then keep it. Unless they only offer it to me free due to being a past customer, but it's been an option to ad it free ever since I remember. And those package lists indeed have some errors in them because I noticed one before.
post #134 of 146 Old 02-20-2014, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had the HD Extra Pack free for at least 6 years by now, 3 months at a time of course.
post #135 of 146 Old 02-22-2014, 03:21 PM

Too bad they don't do that for sports pack. lol I do remember when you cancel sports pack they will offer it mighty cheap, at one point they offered it for like $3 per month I think, so I could go all the way back down to choice and get sports pack and have all channels I want except for like 2.
post #136 of 146 Old 02-22-2014, 11:57 PM

Liked: 10

Hi all...I am new to this forum and topic but have spent the last hour plus reading through the posts in this thread as I am in the midst of considering a change to DTV from DISH.

Moving from Charter Cable after 9 years, I initially selected DISH for price and the Hopper functionality and have been a DISH customer for 17 months on the Top 200 programming.  I have 2 Hoppers (1 with a Sling Adapter attached, which I had to buy from DISH at the time as it was before they started embedding them inside the Hopper) and 2 Joeys.  I did that specifically so I could link the Joeys to the Hopper in the master bedroom and keep the Hopper in the theater room's tuners open for recording.  This way the other three rooms can watch whatever combination of live programming or recorded shows they want without being limited by or reducing my main Hopper's recording ability.

I will tell you that up to this point I have been very happy with my DISH service and the Hoppers and have not experienced any of the speed or performance issues I have read about.  The PTAT (Prime-Time Any Time) feature has been great for catching premiers of new shows I did not know or remember were going to be on but got recorded by the default 7pm-11pm recording window for Fox, ABC, CBS and NBC during the 8 day cycle.  If I then liked a show it is just a few clicks to tell the Hopper to save the series and it becomes part of my permanent recordings every week and they do not get erased.  The auto commercial skip feature is great but as it has been stated, it only works on the PTAT recorded shows and only the next day after the show has aired live (which is how DISH keeps defending the court battles from the Networks over this feature).  Each time you start watching one of the 4 major network PTAT shows, which have a kangaroo icon next to them to indicate auto-skipping is available, it will ask you if you "wish" to turn on the auto skip for that viewing session.  I also record shows from other networks such as The CW, SciFi, etc and have not run into a tuner conflicts yet with my configuration.

So why am I contemplating a change you ask?  One of the features that DISH introduced last year was the Hopper Transfer, which if you have a Hopper with a Sling adapter will allow you to move recorded shows from your DVR to your iPhone, iPad, etc so that you can take them with you for watching without any need for internet connectivity for streaming via the Sling adapter.  After several calls to tech support to find out why this feature was not showing up on my iPad, I was finally told it was because it only worked with the newer Hopper (although still called the Hopper 2000) with the Sling built inside...albeit the same functionality my two separate pieces they configured me with originally from every other aspect work exactly the same.  As I travel a lot, this functionality is very important to me.  So when I asked how I could get my existing Hopper and Sling adapter combination swapped, the answer was a $200 upgrade fee AND a new 24-month contract at the regular full pricing I am paying!  So the research into DTV began.  After calling DISH and telling them that I was going to cancel to change to DTV, the best offer they made was to charge me $100 for the Upgrade with a new 24-month contract requirement.

So I have done my research on the Genie, Genie Mini and Genie Go as well as DTV Pricing and here is what I have concluded...at least in my scenario.  As indicated in other post, the Genie has 5 Tuners, which is one less than the combined independent recording ability of my dual Hoppers outside of PTAT recording.  My understanding from DTV is that, while they do not have PTAT recording, they do have On-Demand, which will allow me to watch a show I may have missed for a certain number of weeks into the future.  While the Genie only has 1-Tb vs the 2-Tb hard drive of the Hopper, it will not be using up the additional hard drive space that the 128 hours of HD PTAT recording does on the hopper (4 networks at 4 hours per night for 8 days, give or take the shows that I actually want to keep and watch).  The Genie does not have an auto-skip feature for commercials but does have the same 30-second skip the Hopper does when watching non PTAT recordings.

The Genie Go will allow me to both stream my recorded shows to my portable device if I am in a place with good WiFi or download the shows when I am at home to my iPad or Laptop and take them with me (it is my understanding from the documentation that I can also set it up to auto copy newly recorded episodes to my devices automatically whenever I am at home and connected to my network).  DTV does not have Live TV streaming like the Hopper with Sling offers but that is not an important feature for me as I almost exclusively watch pre-recorded shows so I can save my time and skip the commercials.  I cannot really speak to PQ as I have not switched yet but from what I have read on this forum it sounds like DTV has the advantage so that is just another plus.

Here's the best part for me...After factoring in my $105 DISH Early Term Fee, the $99 for the Genie Go I have to buy, and the DTV new customer gift card incentive,  I will save approximately $400 over the 24-month contract period with DTV over remaining on DISH and get the functionality that DISH wanted me to pay $200 for and promise them another 24 months.  Also, DISH just increased their package and DVR prices recently.  The DVR service went from $10 to $12 dollars and the cost of the second DVR went from $7 to $12.  They granted an 18-month $5 credit to existing customers to offset the change from $7 to $12 for the second Hopper but after that it's full price.  Taking all that into account, my 2nd year's monthly cost with DTV is within $2 of what I would be paying with DISH.  It seems from the post that I have read and from my discussion with the DTV rep that DTV is more likely to offer discounts after the 24 month term with the prospect of retaining you as a customer than DISH is so I am hopeful that cost containment will be more likely moving into the 3rd and following years.

I apologize for the novel length post but I wanted to be as thorough as possible for others who might be considering the same things.  My best advice...consider what features are most important to you...crunch the numbers...read the fine print before signing...and make the best decision for your situation.  For me?  It looks like DTV and the Genie.

post #137 of 146 Old 02-23-2014, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Great post. Charter is still cheapest by far (at least $40) in my 5 TV system using WMC and a $2 cable card. It also has about 60 more HD channels than satellite. I did enjoy both Dish and DirecTV, but all the fees are just too much for me to tolerate anymore.
post #138 of 146 Old 03-08-2014, 07:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD01 View Post

So why am I contemplating a change you ask?  One of the features that DISH introduced last year was the Hopper Transfer, which if you have a Hopper with a Sling adapter will allow you to move recorded shows from your DVR to your iPhone, iPad, etc so that you can take them with you for watching without any need for internet connectivity for streaming via the Sling adapter.  After several calls to tech support to find out why this feature was not showing up on my iPad, I was finally told it was because it only worked with the newer Hopper (although still called the Hopper 2000) with the Sling built inside...albeit the same functionality my two separate pieces they configured me with originally from every other aspect work exactly the same.  As I travel a lot, this functionality is very important to me.  So when I asked how I could get my existing Hopper and Sling adapter combination swapped, the answer was a $200 upgrade fee AND a new 24-month contract at the regular full pricing I am paying!  So the research into DTV began.  After calling DISH and telling them that I was going to cancel to change to DTV, the best offer they made was to charge me $100 for the Upgrade with a new 24-month contract requirement.

FYI: Depending on how Dish classifies you as a customer, the retention deal offered will change. If you are a Plan A customer, a receiver upgrade is FREE. No one (outside of Dish) knows how to become a Plan A customer, but fulfilling your full contract is thought to be part of it. The point is, if you wait, you might be able to get what you want from Dish. I have no opinion to offer on the Genie, but I find the Hopper to be great, and the newer model is supposed to be ever better. The new one has a faster CPU and much more memory, which is why it can do the iOS transfers and our older one cannot. Given that this was not a feature at the time we got our original Hoppers, I don't think it is fair to be too upset at Dish.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Ted
post #139 of 146 Old 03-10-2014, 07:25 AM

There's something waaay wrong there. I've had a Genie since last August with virtually none of the problems I've seen posted here. Changing channels takes about two seconds.

JR
post #140 of 146 Old 03-10-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin521 View Post

There's something waaay wrong there. I've had a Genie since last August with virtually none of the problems I've seen posted here. Changing channels takes about two seconds.

Since day one my HR34 Genie changes channels fine but all 3 of the Genie Mini's (41's) show white screen while accessing menu and changing channels. Channel changes take anywhere from 4 to 10 seconds. Doing reboots on both the 34 or 41's doesn't even resolve the problem temporarily like I've read before while investigating the issue.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #141 of 146 Old 03-10-2014, 02:42 PM

OK. I see what the difference is. I have the H34 Genie but the "minis" (3) are H25-500 units. We can't really compare apples and oranges. smile.gif

JR
post #142 of 146 Old 03-11-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1022 View Post

Since day one my HR34 Genie changes channels fine but all 3 of the Genie Mini's (41's) show white screen while accessing menu and changing channels. Channel changes take anywhere from 4 to 10 seconds. Doing reboots on both the 34 or 41's doesn't even resolve the problem temporarily like I've read before while investigating the issue.
Hi, I have a genie (H44), an HD DVR and a mini. the mini is just as fast as the other boxes changing channels. I note that the first time I access the playlist on the mini, is might pause for a second or two, but then there seems to be no delays. Maybe you've got some network issue on the coax? best, jeff
post #143 of 146 Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeno View Post

Hi, I have a genie (H44), an HD DVR and a mini. the mini is just as fast as the other boxes changing channels. I note that the first time I access the playlist on the mini, is might pause for a second or two, but then there seems to be no delays. Maybe you've got some network issue on the coax? best, jeff

Thanks, I will have them check it out soon.

Vizio M601D-A3R w/ Vizio VSB207BT soundbar and Yamaha YST-SW215 Sub | Vizio M501D-A2R | PS3 Slim | PS4 | Harmony 650 Remote | DirecTV Genie WHDVR
post #144 of 146 Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM

I am not sure why any one has "delay" issues with the DTV HR34 Genie. I have never had hopper, and the name alone is keeping me from aquiring it. I have had the Genie for over two years, and it is blazing fast and responsive! It does not lag, or display any significant processing time, as was the case with some of the older 16 bit processors in older satellite receivers. At one point the remote stopped communicating with the Genie for some reason, but this was easily resolved with a reset of the system. DTV HD is superior to that of Dish and requires an advanced receiver to properly handle HD channels. You can record up to 5 channels of HD in any combination at any time with the Genie. If anyone is having issues with freezing or delays, perhaps it's because your settings need to be looked at, or you have not made the necessary software updates which is provided by DTV . I totally recommend the Genie as I have never had any issues with it. Happy viewing.     

post #145 of 146 Old 03-18-2014, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crixus View Post

I am not sure why any one has "delay" issues with the DTV HR34 Genie. I have never had hopper, and the name alone is keeping me from aquiring it. I have had the Genie for over two years...   

So, Genie > Hopper wrt street cred? How would you feel about the Roamio from Tivo? Genie makes me think of GEnie http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GEnie

All these names seem horrible to me, so what matters is how well they work, which they all seem pretty good, so just pick the one that fits your needs (and wallet).
post #146 of 146 Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM

I agree with you, these names are all pretty silly at best. But perhaps the Genie can give us a little Magic in return for the overpriced fees we have to pay these companies. Just a thought. And thanks for the GEnie link, very interesting reading!

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page