post #271 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac24 View Post

Quote: "in my application we're looking for commercial skipping".

Quote: "we have no interest in simply recording channels for future viewing".

If find these two statements to be somewhat conflicted. Please explain.

He's going to read a book when recording. [joke]

Or split the TV rf feed. Or record programs when not home.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I may be reading his posts wrong, but it sounds like he wants a DVR mostly for the buffer. If the show starts at 8 PM, he tunes to it at 8 but then hits "Pause" and doesn't start watching until (say) 8:20, skipping commercials as he goes along. Or he may record a show, but intends to watch it ASAP then delete it rather than keeping it long-term.

Most DVRs will do this, but the most important thing from his point of view is probably the 30-second skip-forward button. Given his other requirements, I'd say a used TiVo Premiere with a lifetime subscription is probably his best choice. The exact model probably isn't too important since he doesn't intend to record, say, four shows at once (yet wink.gif ).
post #273 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

I may be reading his posts wrong, but it sounds like he wants a DVR mostly for the buffer. If the show starts at 8 PM, he tunes to it at 8 but then hits "Pause" and doesn't start watching until (say) 8:20, skipping commercials as he goes along. Or he may record a show, but intends to watch it ASAP then delete it rather than keeping it long-term.

Most DVRs will do this, but the most important thing from his point of view is probably the 30-second skip-forward button. Given his other requirements, I'd say a used TiVo Premiere with a lifetime subscription is probably his best choice. The exact model probably isn't too important since he doesn't intend to record, say, four shows at once (yet wink.gif ).
Thanks. That's exactly right. Our application is solely skipping commercials. We don't intend to record any shows; we have Netflix if we wish to watch a movie. We have lots of experience with the Dish Network DVR skipping commercials. Their DVR offers a 1 hour buffer and that was always more than adequate for our needs.

And yes, the skip forward button will become very well used. It's much easier than playing with fast forward and rewind. I have just learned that the series 3 does not offer the skip forward button and also requires two cable cards which will cost us an additional $2.50/month from Comcast. Therefore, I am somewhat biased towards the Premiere subject of course to the cost differential.
Pete
post #274 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroots View Post

Thanks. That's exactly right. Our application is solely skipping commercials. We don't intend to record any shows; we have Netflix if we wish to watch a movie. We have lots of experience with Dish Network skipping commercials. Their DVR offers a 1 hour buffer and that was always more than adequate for our needs.

In this case, maybe you should just consider a Sony DHG.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #275 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:

Our application is solely skipping commercials. We don't intend to record any shows. . .
A statement like that confuses people because in order to skip commercials you have to be recording the show and time-shifting. TiVo only has a 30 min buffer, but you can always tune the channel and hit the record button at the start of the program. That way the entire program will be captured regardless of length and you won't have to worry about getting back to your seat before the 30 min buffer has rolled over. If you watch the same program on a recurring basis -- like the 6:00 news -- just set a season pass for it and it will record automatically for you so you don't have to worry about doing it manually.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #276 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Liked: 65
Quote:

Thanks. That's exactly right. Our application is solely skipping commercials. We don't intend to record any shows; we have Netflix if we wish to watch a movie. We have lots of experience with the Dish Network DVR skipping commercials. Their DVR offers a 1 hour buffer and that was always more than adequate for our needs.

And yes, the skip forward button will become very well used. It's much easier than playing with fast forward and rewind. I have just learned that the series 3 does not offer the skip forward button and also requires two cable cards which will cost us an additional $2.50/month from Comcast. Therefore, I am somewhat biased towards the Premiere subject of course to the cost differential.
Pete

WS65711 stole my thunder, but if that's really the case then yes, you should consider a Sony DHG-HDD250. These are high quality recorders with excellent QAM , ATSC, and analog tuners, CableCard compatible, with separate Cable and Antenna input jacks.

These sold for over $400 as little as a year ago, but relied on a 3rd party service for the Guide data which was discontinued earlier this year. The prices then fell sharply. These can be purchased on eBay for well under $100.

If you have trouble locating one, let me know and I'll have my husband contact you. We have 3 of these and I know he'd like to move at least one of them.

Size matters not ...
post #277 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I hadn't even thought of the Sony. I knew it lost its clock and EPG when TVGoS went away, so timed recordings don't work anymore; but if it still time-shifts and does on-demand recordings OK (like the iView & Homeworx w/o PSIP) and it can use a CableCARD too (that's why I love this forum; I learn something every day), it might be right up his alley, for much less $ than a TiVo.

post #278 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

A statement like that confuses people because in order to skip commercials you have to be recording the show and time-shifting. TiVo only has a 30 min buffer, but you can always tune the channel and hit the record button at the start of the program. That way the entire program will be captured regardless of length and you won't have to worry about getting back to your seat before the 30 min buffer has rolled over. If you watch the same program on a recurring basis -- like the 6:00 news -- just set a season pass for it and it will record automatically for you so you don't have to worry about doing it manually.
Thanks. Actually the 30 minute buffer would probably suit us fine. We usually run 15-20 minutes delayed which is more than adequate for our needs. We realize that our requirements are pretty minimal compared to the full capabilities of the DVR. When we had a Dish Network DVR the buffer was 1 hour and in that case we never had an issue. We don't really have any shows we watch repetively. We just turn on the news from time to time when convenient and the commercials drive us nuts. Hitting pause and coming back in 15 minutes saves us all that aggravation. I realize it's a simple concept compared to how others might use their DVRs:)
Pete
post #279 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:

WS65711 stole my thunder, but if that's really the case then yes, you should consider a Sony DHG-HDD250. These are high quality recorders with excellent QAM , ATSC, and analog tuners, CableCard compatible, with separate Cable and Antenna input jacks.

These sold for over $400 as little as a year ago, but relied on a 3rd party service for the Guide data which was discontinued earlier this year. The prices then fell sharply. These can be purchased on eBay for well under $100.

If you have trouble locating one, let me know and I'll have my husband contact you. We have 3 of these and I know he'd like to move at least one of them.
Quote:

Thanks. Very interesting! It sounds like these are replacements for the TiVo in the sense that it would replace my existing HD STB, correct? I looked on eBay and one of the listings stated the following:
Quote:
It can be used to view and record over the air via antenna and/or unencrypted cable channels as a tuner

In my case I need to be able to decrypt the Comcast channels. Will that be a problem? I'm confused as to whether the unit would accept a Comcast cablecard given the referenced listing.
Pete
post #280 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
The Sony will work with a CableCard. However there are two caveats. If your CableCo is using SDV, the Sony doesn't support that. Also, if your CableCo channel numbers are over 1000 I *think* there may be an issue. Mine were never over 1000, so I don't have firsthand experience with that.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #281 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Actually the 30 minute buffer would probably suit us fine. We usually run 15-20 minutes delayed which is more than adequate for our needs. We realize that our requirements are pretty minimal compared to the full capabilities of the DVR. When we had a Dish Network DVR the buffer was 1 hour and in that case we never had an issue. We don't really have any shows we watch repetively. We just turn on the news from time to time when convenient and the commercials drive us nuts. Hitting pause and coming back in 15 minutes saves us all that aggravation. I realize it's a simple concept compared to how others might use their DVRs
In that case I would agree with posters WS65711 and mac24 that a Sony DHG would probably be a best fit for you as long as you can live with the caveats.
1. The clock cannot be set so the time is always wrong meaning you will need some math skills should you ever want to schedule a recording.
2. The DHG was discontinued a year after its introduction so the used units are all at least 8 yr old. There is no replacement hard disk drive when it fails.

Do not pay more than $100 for a working DHG and even that may be too much.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #282 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

The Sony will work with a CableCard. However there are two caveats. If your CableCo is using SDV, the Sony doesn't support that. Also, if your CableCo channel numbers are over 1000 I *think* there may be an issue. Mine were never over 1000, so I don't have firsthand experience with that.

WS brings up some good points. I still use (one) DHG, but we have Mediacom and our channels are all lower than 1000. I forgot about the issue with channels over 1023. Was that just with the Guide? Perhaps someone with Comcast could comment.

Your safest bet is the Premiere. You may not think you'll ever do unattended recordings, but sometimes things change. It's nice to have the capability if they do.

BTW, the Series 3 does not "require" 2 cards. It will work with one if it's multistream. Most cable companies don't charge extra for multistream, so be sure to specify that when you get the card.

Size matters not ...
post #283 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:

In that case I would agree with posters WS65711 and mac24 that a Sony DHG would probably be a best fit for you as long as you can live with the caveats.
1. The clock cannot be set so the time is always wrong meaning you will need some math skills should you ever want to schedule a recording.
2. The DHG was discontinued a year after its introduction so the used units are all at least 8 yr old. There is no replacement hard disk drive when it fails.

Do not pay more than $100 for a working DHG and even that may be too much.
Thanks. I think I'll stick with the TiVo. There seem to be too many iffy issues with the Sony. It's not like I can return it if unhappy. I would rather pay a bit extra and go with something that is fully supported by Comcast and the manufacturer.
Pete
post #284 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. I think I'll stick with the TiVo. There seem to be too many iffy issues with the Sony. It's not like I can return it if unhappy. I would rather pay a bit extra and go with something that is fully supported by Comcast and the manufacturer.
I agree. A Premier would be a better choice. It seemed that cost was an issue for you.

- kelson h

post #285 of 532 Old 09-10-2013, 09:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

The Comcast, or cable company option, is typically the most expensive when you look at the long term, like two to three years.

I agree, but he seemed more concerned with the up-front cost than the long term cost of getting a DVR.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

They make good STBs, VCR replacements, and also good "second" recorders for households with better "first" recorders that use external USB storage (e.g., the TViX 6620 or a PC).

For the record, the TViX requires a SATA HDD. The USB ports only allow you to play files on external storage (or to copy files between external and internal storage, assuming you connect writeable media).
post #286 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry. I learned a lot in the process. As an update, Comcast has just offered me a free DVR as part of a 6 month promotion. This gives me plenty of time to shop for a used TiVo. I figure that if I paid $300 for the TiVo it would have a 17 month payback based upon the $17.95/mo rental from Comcast. That's not too bad and if I ever wanted to sell it their seems a good market for them and I could probably recover a good part of what I paid. All in all, not such a bad deal. I'll continue to follow this thread to keep up with late breaking news:)
Pete
post #287 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 06:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This gives me plenty of time to shop for a used TiVo. I figure that if I paid $300 for the TiVo it would have a 17 month payback based upon the $17.95/mo rental from Comcast.
Keep an eye on the used TiVo market. As more users upgrade to the new Roamio, the supply of used Premiers should increase and the prices should drop accordingly. You should be able to snag a good deal if you watch for it.

- kelson h

post #288 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 601
Prices have already dropped alot. A couple of months ago the lifetime four tuner Elite/XL boxes were going for $650 to $700. Now they are going for $450 to $500.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #289 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:

Keep an eye on the used TiVo market. As more users upgrade to the new Roamio, the supply of used Premiers should increase and the prices should drop accordingly. You should be able to snag a good deal if you watch for it.
Thanks. I'll definitely do that.
Pete
post #290 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Prices have already dropped alot. A couple of months ago the lifetime four tuner Elite/XL boxes were going for $650 to $700. Now they are going for $450 to $500.
Thanks. Glad to hear that. Hopefully in 6 months they'll even be lower.
Pete
post #291 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

For the record, the TViX requires a SATA HDD. The USB ports only allow you to play files on external storage (or to copy files between external and internal storage, assuming you connect writeable media).
There are so many different devices, and so many features and/or limitations with each, I can't keep them all straight. redface.gif

So you could record on a Homeworx and play it on the TViX via USB. But if you wanted to do the reverse, you'd need a dual SATA+USB external drive (+ appropriate cables). My external drives are like that, but I bet a lot are USB only.
post #292 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Premiere requires one cable card whereas series 3 requires two
The original S3 does, but the newer 652 does not.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #293 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

The original S3 does, but the newer 652 does not.
Thanks. I assume S3 stands for series 3? I've found the following series 3 Tivos on eBay:
  • TCD652160
  • TCD648250B
  • TCD658000
Can you tell me which of these require two cable cards and which require just one? Also, are the cards type M or S? As mentioned previously, I would want a series 3 that offered 1 cable card because the first one is free, but the 2nd is not with my Comcast service.
Pete
post #294 of 532 Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM

I'm trying to make sense of the TiVo listings on eBay. I've found the following Premiere (series 4) model numbers:
  • TCD748000
  • TCD746320
  • TCD758250

Can anyone explain the differences? For example, I believe some have 2 tuners whereas others have 4. Are there other differences? As mentioned previously, I would prefer the Premiere if the price premium vs the series 3 were not too large. I like the fact that they require just one cable card and the remote offers the skip button.
Pete
post #295 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what the model number is, but the TiVo HD (series 3) has slots for two cable cards but only needs one M-card. S-card = single tuner card, M-card = multi-tuner card. So you can put two S-cards in a TiVo HD or a single M-card. The Premier only has one cable card slot for an M-card.

- kelson h

post #296 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 601
The original Series 3 TiVo, the one with the OLED display, is the series 3 model that requires the use of two cable cards.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #297 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Quote:

I don't know what the model number is, but the TiVo HD (series 3) has slots for two cable cards but only needs one M-card. S-card = single tuner card, M-card = multi-tuner card. So you can put two S-cards in a TiVo HD or a single M-card. The Premier only has one cable card slot for an M-card.
Thanks. That helps. What I'm trying to figure out is if any series 3 models require two cable cards and don't allow the substitution of one M-card for two S-cards. It was mentioned earlier, if I understood correctly, that the oldest S3 was of that type, but I don't know which model that would be.
Pete
post #298 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:

The original Series 3 TiVo, the one with the OLED display, is the series 3 model that requires the use of two cable cards.
Thanks. Do you know the model number or perhaps the size of hard drive for the original series 3? I have learned the size of the hard drives for each series 3 as follows:
  • TCD652160 160GB
  • TCD648250B 250GB
  • TCD658000 1TB
It's been reported by several posters including yourself that the original series 3 required two cable cards so I would like to determine it's model number (or other unique features) so I can avoid it.

Pete
post #299 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks. Do you know the model number or perhaps the size of hard drive for the original series 3? I have learned the size of the hard drives for each series 3 as follows:
  • TCD652160 160GB
  • TCD648250B 250GB
  • TCD658000 1TB
It's been reported by several posters including yourself that the original series 3 required two cable cards and I would like to determine it's model number so I can avoid it.

Pete
TCD652160 = TiVo HD/160GB - takes M-card
TCD658000 = TiVo HD-XL/1TB - takes M-card

- kelson h

post #300 of 532 Old 09-12-2013, 06:54 AM

Quote:

TCD652160 = TiVo HD/160GB - takes M-card
TCD658000 = TiVo HD-XL/1TB - takes M-card
Thanks. I'm assuming that the two you reference, will accept one M-card in lieu of two S-cards. Do they have one or two slots? That's good to know. I'm also assuming that you didn't mention the TCD648250B since you aren't aware of whether it requires one or two cable cards?
Pete
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page