37Likes

post #541 of 543 Old Today, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Either I bend over and take it from Comcast, or I bend over and take it from TiVo.
You can thank TiVo for the monopolistic stranglehold they have on the limited DVR market effectively destroying fair and reasonably competition. Of course, there is always OTA.

Just think if Ford would of done the same thing 100 years ago?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 543 Old Today, 08:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Roger, I feel your pain... I think most of us have similar or like stories, unfortunately.

As Bruce said, you might want to really consider OTA, especially if you are in a good reception area. OTA + Roku (or the like) is working well for us and quite a few folks on this forum. Finding a DVR can be a bit tough though. I'm in that process now... For me at this location, I really need a solid tuner, so that's a big part of that challenge.

If you are not aware of your OTA reception situation, you can go somewhere like TV Fool's website and input your address...

The Tablo tuner is fantastic. It has its shortcomings, but is a neat product. I have a Roamio coming on Tuesday. With discount code MMA, it can be scored for 150 bucks from the TiVo website. I went instead through Amazon due to various discounts there, and got one for $85. "Lifetime" DVR service can be had for 400 dollars...

Best to you.

Last edited by TonyB1966; Today at 12:14 PM.
post #543 of 543 Old Today, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Sad to say, but if you're at the mercy of Comcast you'll need a DVR with a CableCARD-ready tuner. And that means either TiVo or a PC-based tuner. (This thread doesn't cover PC-based products, but there's an HTPC forum on this board if you want to go that route.)

I continue to hope that someday, someone will market a standalone DVR that supports a network- or USB-connected tuner intended for a PC, so that you could "build your own" cable-ready DVR. It seems like such an obviously good idea, but so far, I haven't heard of anyone even planning such a thing.
phildaant likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page