post #31 of 600 Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

BTW is there any HD DVR Satellite capable (yes, I know that's not OTA)? Thanks a lot!

Nothing you can purchase. And the DVRs that they offer only work with their stuff. Dish's Hopper has an OTA module available to pull in your locals via antenna. Not sure if D* still has a version of their box with TiVo software, but their newest DVR, the "Genie", has 5 tuners or something ridiculous like that. But they're not really "consumer available", since as I said, you can't just go buy one - you're getting an "extended lease", basically.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 600 Old 03-13-2013, 06:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Satellite receivers have CC slots?? confused.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #33 of 600 Old 03-13-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Satellite receivers have CC slots?? confused.gif
Not that I've seen, nope. In fact, they went out of their way to avoid the CableCARD mandates.
post #34 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Do I read the chart correctly that the recording functions of all of the ATSC DVRs are pretty much the same as with VCRs in that you don't record the program but rather the time slot? The recording has nothing to do at all with the program being recorded? All of them (except TiVo) list "Time" as being the basis for recording, nor do any of them (except TiVo) auto adjust for changing days or start times.

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #35 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

ATSC isn't the issue, it's the firmware and what type of Guide is used. AFAIK you are correct, but I'm not 100% sure of the Moxi.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #36 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ATSC isn't the issue, it's the firmware and what type of Guide is used. AFAIK you are correct, but I'm not 100% sure of the Moxi.
I realize that it's not ATSC that is the issue. I put ATSC in there only because according to the list the Moxi will, but it's not ATSC, just QAM, nor is it available to the general public.

That's unfortunate. It's really nice to schedule a recording, and if the program is on a different day next year, the recording automatically follows it. Or not waste HDD space by recording all of the reruns, then the following season miss the first show because the time was changed (yet a new unwanted program gets recorded).

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #37 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I would be willing to bet greedy TiVo has another one of their 'acquired' patents on that, limiting features for the other manufactures. mad.gif
There are used Moxi's available.

post #38 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by egnlsn View Post

Do I read the chart correctly that the recording functions of all of the ATSC DVRs are pretty much the same as with VCRs in that you don't record the program but rather the time slot? The recording has nothing to do at all with the program being recorded?.

The CM 7400 does name-based recording as well time-slot recording. It has the option to record only "new" shows as well under name-based.
videobruce likes this.
post #39 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillFromCH View Post

The CM 7400 does name-based recording as well time-slot recording. It has the option to record only "new" shows as well under name-based.
That's really good news. Have they been able to resolve their bugs with the guide and scheduling recordings. I don't remember just what it was, but I do remember reading something about a bug when trying to schedule a recording off the guide (or something like that).

I also remember reading that there is a subscription available. Do you know what that is? Is it something like the basic guide is PSIP data, but if you subscribe, the guide info comes off the internet?

CIAO!

Ed N.
post #40 of 600 Old 03-20-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 406
The CM 7400 did have a paid Internet guide, but it seems like Channel Master may no longer be selling the units, which may also indicate that the availability of the paid guide will end soon, too. The Entone unit is the same hardware as the CM 7400, except it has a fan to prevent all of the heat-induced lockup problems and has no paid guide option at all. Most OTA DVRs are designed to be autonomous and not need to "call home" to get guide data the way TiVo does, and since PSIP is so spotty in most areas, time-based recording is more reliable than using names. If you try to use the name-based recording with PSIP on the CM 7400 and your guide is wrong, your program won't record, AFAIK.
videobruce and JHBrandt like this.
post #41 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
BillFromCH
Thanks for the update. You are the 1st to mention that. I guess not many here are paying for the guide.
Quote:
it seems like Channel Master may no longer be selling the units, which may also indicate that the availability of the paid guide will end soon, too.
Interesting point. I will admen the list and comments accordingly.

I'm still looking for anyone that can compose a BB code table for the list, so it can be placed in the post, pot just as attachments. Columns are the problem. One would think there would be some conversation from a spreadsheet to this, but I haven't been able to find one.frown.gif

post #42 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, how the hell did you do that? Tell me you didn't type in each and every individual entry separately? Everything I came across pointed to doing that so I stopped there. I found a "conversation from xls site, but it didn't address the column problem.

post #43 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Is this what you're looking for? (In Rich Text, might need "sprucing up"?)

It looks great. I might add two things:
Vulu? as in Hulu or Vudu? Ok, Vudu.

I can't figure out how any box can get a guide from a cable feed without a cable card. My channel 108.1, clear QAM CBS HD, is the same frequency as the channel 502 I get with a cable card in my guide listings.
post #44 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 08:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139

I copied the Excel chart and pasted it in the Rich Text WYSIWYG window.

Click the IMAGES & EDITORS link in my sig. for info on using the RTE.

You only have to be careful in copying stuff from an AVS Forum post, and then only if using the Black or Modified Retro skin, where you'll pick up the black background code and obscure the main text. You need to switch to the Default skin before copying an AVS Forum post.

post #45 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Done!

Enormous thanks to wajo. smile.gif

post #46 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Vulu? as in Hulu or Vudu? Ok, Vudu.

Vudu. redface.gif

Using this rich text editor sucks, got to go back to BB code. 

post #47 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 AM

Liked: 13
I am strictly OTA. I have experience with two units; CM 7000 which I ebayed when TV GOS went away, and original series 3 TIVO (used refurb unit with lifetime and upgraded HD purchased from weaknees). IME for OTA, TIVO Original series 3 >>> CM 7000 with PSIP. The price differential between what I cleared on ebay vs purchase price on the TV was about $150 IIRC.
post #48 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Vudu. redface.gif
Using this rich text editor sucks, got to go back to BB code. 

So true. Are you going to add the iView-3500STB or wait until there is a review? I have this image of a box full of old pinball machine parts.
post #49 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Thanks for the update. You are the 1st to mention that. I guess not many here are paying for the guide.

I'm not paying for it either! cool.gif There was an offer on the CM online store in December, when they were still selling closed-box units, for a free year's subscription. A coupon with a code was packed in the box and I have a free guide until next December. We will see if a paid version is still available then.

Chicago station PSIP is usually good for about 72 hours or so for most of the channels that I watch. I'd hate to fall back to PSIP in December, though.
post #50 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Now that I can see the table embedded in a post, the problem as I thought it would be is width, or lack of. The reason I formatted the way it is in the first place on a spreadsheet is to eliminate the columns spilling over into additional pages without printed out landscape, which I don't like.
Viewing it before I log in, it fits as is. and after. In wide view after being logged in, there is room for one, maybe two more columns, if I do some squeezing. I really wanted to have separate columns for the two different series of TiVo's which would make more sense han adding this unknown. wink.gif

What I also didn't want is text wrapping to another line using narrow columns as I have seen many times elsewhere, which is hard to read and just looks terrible. So the only thing I could do is delete one and add this, but considering what this appears to be, I don't think it would be worth it. I will add this to the description post when I get more info about it.

I want to 'tweak' the table spacing some more since I now have a handle on what to change. redface.gif

post #51 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 870
This is probably a stupid question but...
Is there a DVR that I can buy to replace the one that I am leasing from TWC?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #52 of 600 Old 03-21-2013, 10:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 406
You'd have to get a TiVo, since OTA/QAM DVRs don't support cablecards for decoding encrypted cable channels.
post #53 of 600 Old 03-22-2013, 03:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You'd have to get a TiVo, since OTA/QAM DVRs don't support cablecards for decoding encrypted cable channels.
Many thanks. smile.gif

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #54 of 600 Old 03-22-2013, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Or a used Moxi. wink.gif
(That wasn't a stupid question.)

post #55 of 600 Old 03-26-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Posts 2, 3 & 4 updates to include the iView-3500STB.

post #56 of 600 Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Very nice comparative list. Thanks for all the hard work to put it together. The information should make everyone’s life a little easier, and it is much appreciated.

Looking forward to owner’s updates on the iView. The manual sort of hints it may not be a USA product? Or perhaps recently converted to a USA product with ATSC and all that?

There have been a few DVR’s come and go very quickly from the market place; usually because they did not even cover the basic elementary stuff very well and/or no support.

After a couple of months we are living fine with TiVo and it addresses our needs for now. Of course always wishing for more with much less dollars.
post #57 of 600 Old 03-28-2013, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for that. I wish others would of stepped up to fill in the question marks in the table. Owners manuals and reviews only tell so much. frown.gif

BTW, a owner review will be coming shortly for the iView. wink.gif

post #58 of 600 Old 03-28-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks for that. I wish others would of stepped up to fill in the question marks in the table. 

Yes, it would have been nice if they would've.

(Hint, hint. wink.gif)

post #59 of 600 Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Posts 3 & 4 updated further, now to include the new iView.

post #60 of 600 Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Is the CM-7400 still being sold new? I can't seem to find one.
Reply HDTV Recorders