2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 20 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-14-2014, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Do any of these devices have LAN/Wifi and can serve the recordings via DLNA?
That would be a fantastic feature that I would have endless use for... but I'm not holding my breath.

--
(this space for rent)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2014, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 406
You can stream recordings from the TViX 6620 to your PC if you connect to it over SMB, although the stream will stutter if you also try to watch an HD program on the TViX at the same time.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Streaming via TabloTV

I've been streaming from the TabloTV with good results. I'm not a guru on this ( yet ), but the problem I have is finding the file. The TabloTV is :

http://192.168.1.10x:18080/pvr, where I find "x" with "fing" on my Nexus.

Once you are there, you have to know the time of the show, then add 4 hours to that ( "4" is going to depend on you using UTC - local time may be different ). If you have multiple shows recorded at the same time, you have to guess and try one. There is a bit more to all this, but I'm guessing this is enough for those interested. For others, it is probably better to wait for a TabloTV "sanctioned" method.

The people at TabloTV seem very receptive to suggestions, so there will probably be a better way for this. Or there already is, and I just don't know how to do it.

I've had this TabloTV for maybe a month or so. It was a little struggle for a while, but I've really come to appreciate it's benefits, and tolerating the few things that make it a bit annoying. This thing is really neat !

Kurt
Old 09-15-2014, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not even sure what SMB stands for, I don't think that would help

I want to put the DVR in one room (that has better antenna reception) and a small TV, then hook it into my network (there is a hub nearby or I could go wifi), and then use DLNA to my Sony BD player where the main TV is or watch on a PC in another room.

Sounds like the TViX will only work on a PC, and I don't understand what method the TabloTV is using. Is that linux?

--
(this space for rent)
Old 09-15-2014, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 192
SMB: Server Message Block, the standard method of accessing mass storage such as HDDs over a network, supported by all modern PC OSes and several other devices. Sounds like the TabloTV streams via http, so you need something with a Web browser.

So either one would work with a PC, but I kind of doubt either would work with your Sony BD player. I could be wrong though. They're putting more and more functions into BD players.

DLNA is probably too new for most of the DVRs covered in this thread. Many don't even have Ethernet connectivity. (I suppose the DVR+ might be a possibility someday - it's fairly new, does have Ethernet, and streaming has been requested - but I'm not holding my breath.)
Old 09-15-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

As JHBrandt said, SMB is the standard way to share files over a network in the Windows world (file and printer sharing). The *nix world uses NFS (Network File System) natively, but it can also use SMB with software known as Samba. These standards are freely available and easy to implement with no extra cost to the hardware vendor.

Remember that these devices are made in Asia, and DLNA is exclusive to the United States. Most of these companies do not bother supporting proprietary American standards, because they do not care about the asinine DRM rules so prevalent in the US. Not only would DLNA certification cost money and make the DVRs more expensive, but qualifying for that certification would require them to implement DRM in their products, which is something they probably can't do, as Linux is the basis for most of these DVRs.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

It also unfortunately means that even if it is a standard file sharing method, a smart devices like a BD player would likely have no way to access it.

--
(this space for rent)
Old 09-15-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

That's the fault of American CE manufacturers not using open standards that already have wide compatibility. Perhaps "smart" devices aren't as smart as they purport to be.
videobruce likes this.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Ok, admittedly I did not read all 578 replies so it was probably posted and refuted, but what about the Mediasonic (Home Worx) HW-150PVR? If you hook up a usb flash drive or hard drive, you're seemingly meeting all the requirements of the O.P.
Old 09-23-2014, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 160
HenryBowman;
Welocme to the forums, but you don't need to read the entire thread. Have you read the first 10 posts, namely post 1??
HenryBowman likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
HenryBowman;
Welocme to the forums, but you don't need to read the entire thread. Have you read the first 10 posts, namely post 1??
holy balls not sure how I missed that! Sorry.
phildaant likes this.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked: 160
This design has to be the most copied electronic device I have ever seen. there are so many flavors of what is basically the same design other than a few minor changes. Mostly some have dispolays and some don't. The enclosures are usually different.
iView was the 1st (that I know of) to bring this mainstream. Everyone else followed.
HenryBowman likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 09-25-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

It amazes me how often the "big boys" like Echostar can't get the little things right. Check out this conversation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
The DVR+ does not control volume. The volume buttons on the remote can be programmed to control your TV volume....
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioVideoPhilia View Post
But for it to work your TV's or AVR's remote code must be in the list of supported devices in the DVR+'s user manual, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioVideoPhilia View Post
... My TV's brand is listed but i don't use its speakers.... I run my audio through a digital audio streamer/DAC/preamp that feeds a stereo power amp. This is the device I'd like have control the volume, its made by Cambridge Audio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakep_82 View Post
I doubt you'll be able to control volume on that amp with the DVR+ remote. The only reason my setup works is because both my TV and AVR support HDMI-CEC.
Ugh. A lowly iView cannot do a lot of things the DVR+ does, but it can do both of the above things: control volume on its own, and its remote can control the volume on any device.

To be fair, this is only a problem for very few users. But still....

BTW, Echostar's earlier DVR, the DTVPal, has the same audio limitations, although they do sell (through Dish) a low-cost learning remote that solves the second issue.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

The problem with volume became prevalent with the introduction of digital connectors. Too often they just act as a passthrough and cannot influence the volume, thus rendering your volume buttons useless. This was never a problem with analogue audio connections. As with most things related to technology, it's always one step forward and two steps backward.
Old 09-25-2014, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Even though the DVR+ wont handle volume control on its own I'm still interested because it does lots of other, more important things i expect an OTA DVR to do. And from what I've read here it seems to do them well. Guess its time to research programable IR repeaters - if such a thing exists.

Thanks again!
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sort of straddling the fence between the Funai (and the hope that we should probably expect a refresh on it within a month), the Homeworx and the iView.

My problem is when I first started looking at the latter two, I recall they started getting some different features thanks to feedback from customers... I just don't remember what. IIRC, Homeworx doesn't support QAM out of box, maybe has a better remote(?), and more informative channel numbers and front panel lights... but I'm not sure.

Can anyone tell me what the difference are? And has anyone heard of new features being teased from Funai for a new model?

--
(this space for rent)

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-28-2014 at 04:05 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
The iView has the display but note it's only the channel order number, not the actual channel number so it's usefulness is limited.
The Homeworx doesn't support QAM unless you install the somewhat backdoor firmware. Clear QAM is for the most part problematic so the mfg. has decided to not officially support it and I really don't blame them.
Initially the Homeworx had a better remote but I believe basically all the newer iViews have a nicer learning type of remote.
The Funai/Philips HD DVR is more polished and reliable than either of the $40 iView type of boxes but at it's current price of ~$200 it may be a bit high for it's features, I'd probably look more at the Channel Master DVR+ dual tuner unit that has lots more features than the above.
If you wanted the absolutely cheapest HD DVR and could live with it's quirks and occasional missed event then I'd say the iView, if you wanted a full featured dual tuner DVR(but not a Tivo) then the CM+ is good option, if you just wanted to spend ~$200 and could live with a dual tuner and VCR type of programming then maybe the Philips would be your ticket, I've found it to be more reliable than the iView and pretty easy to navigate.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

I mostly agree with the above. Unfortunately if you need QAM (cable) the DVR+ isn't an option, and from what I've read the iView and Homeworx don't work well enough with QAM to be good options either.

Aside from TiVo, a PC, and the box your cable company will rent you, reliable QAM options are pretty limited. The Funai may be among your best options, along with Digital Stream, BriteView, the PHD-VRX[2], and possibly a used TViX 6620 or CM-7400. Don't expect any EPG, whatever you end up buying; cable EPGs are usually available only to TiVo and your cable company's boxes (or PCs, running either WMC or free software eligible for a Schedules Direct subscription).

OTOH, the lifetime of any unencrypted QAM service is questionable, so you may not want to spend as much as any of those cost. In that case, you may go forward with an iView and a 2.5" USB HDD and just live with its drawbacks. That'll only set you back $100, and you can reuse the HDD with your computer if your cable company cuts off clear QAM.

You'll probably get one of the newer iViews with the channel 3/4 switch and v2 or v3 firmware. You may need to downgrade to v1 for best results with QAM. Check out the http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iv...-owners-thread for more info on firmware for these new boxes, as the firmware on iView's web site is for older boxes and isn't compatible with the new ones.
phildaant and Cravit8 like this.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I mostly agree with the above. Unfortunately if you need QAM (cable) the DVR+ isn't an option, and from what I've read the iView and Homeworx don't work well enough with QAM to be good options either.

Aside from TiVo, a PC, and the box your cable company will rent you, reliable QAM options are pretty limited. The Funai may be among your best options, along with Digital Stream, BriteView, the PHD-VRX[2], and possibly a used TViX 6620 or CM-7400. Don't expect any EPG, whatever you end up buying; cable EPGs are usually available only to TiVo and your cable company's boxes (or PCs, running either WMC or free software eligible for a Schedules Direct subscription).

OTOH, the lifetime of any unencrypted QAM service is questionable, so you may not want to spend as much as any of those cost. In that case, you may go forward with an iView and a 2.5" USB HDD and just live with its drawbacks. That'll only set you back $100, and you can reuse the HDD with your computer if your cable company cuts off clear QAM.

You'll probably get one of the newer iViews with the channel 3/4 switch and v2 or v3 firmware. You may need to downgrade to v1 for best results with QAM. Check out the http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iv...-owners-thread for more info on firmware for these new boxes, as the firmware on iView's web site is for older boxes and isn't compatible with the new ones.
Are there any companies going to keep unencrypted QAM? I assume all cable companies are going to encrypt like Time Warner Cable, Comcast, etc.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Maybe a few. I'd say Verizon FiOS is the best bet. If I had FiOS, I might go for one of the more expensive DVRs.

I've also heard some Cox affiliates are using clear QAM as a selling point, but that's probably individual cities, not nationwide.
phildaant likes this.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm NOT specifically needing QAM. I'm on antennas at the moment. I'm just looking for the least of the evils. I wouldn't mind spending $250-300 for a Funai if the second generation improved things (and added a second tuner). For that reason the iView/Homeworx sounded like a good stop gap. I've got a 500gb drive just sitting here, so for $40 and an enclosure I'm good to go. I'm just trying to weight the whole 'issues to price' ratios for these.

EPGs are probably fine, but I'm such a fussbudget and old fashion from my VCR days I prefer setting things by hand for now.

As for as the CM+:
Quote:
The biggest concern here is the track record of the program data supplier; Rovi. Many here have been stung in the past by the pullout of Rovi for devices that depended on it for recording.
I don't relish buying a brick or a $250 DVR that lacks an internal HDD.

The thing about encrypting all QAM is that it has happened based on an FCC rule change. That could be changed again on a moments notice.

You may not remember but in the 80s you could only watch cable via a converter box, in the 90s TVs and VCRs could tune 120+ channels and cable companies slowly allowed clear analog channels without boxes.

Sooner or later it'll get called a monopoly, the cable companies will realize that QAM is a huge advantage that they have over their competition, or the boxes will just become garbage because they are standard def. and they realize they lost money on the deal.

Be patient, I don't think we've seen the last of clear QAM. It's just resting.
tveli and phildaant like this.

--
(this space for rent)

Last edited by DoctorM; 09-29-2014 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Nationally, Cox has been the laggard in scrambling QAM and Comcast has been the leader. I have four Sony DHG units so Rovi is a four letter word to me. I have 140 clear QAM channels, 10 in HD. To see the slow progression of Comcast, read the first two posts of Are All Your QAM Channels Scrambled? for some data. I was happy when the current Funai units were released as OTA only. I have a 2160A and 515H also, both of which get little use since two TiVo units do most of the work. But without going analog with a STB or a cable card, anyone can wake up with all channels scrambled.
phildaant likes this.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
There are no current Funai units with HDD mfgd for N.A. that are OTA-only.

The current Philips HDR5710 / 5750 DVRs are OTA/cable.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post
There are no current Funai units with HDD mfgd for N.A. that are OTA-only.

The current Philips HDR5710 / 5750 DVRs are OTA/cable.
I stand corrected. I stopped following the HDR5710/5750 a while ago. Perhaps that was an error on my part.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I'm NOT specifically needing QAM. I'm on antennas at the moment. I'm just looking for the least of the evils. I wouldn't mind spending $250-300 for a Funai if the second generation improved things (and added a second tuner). For that reason the iView/Homeworx sounded like a good stop gap. I've got a 500gb drive just sitting here, so for $40 and an enclosure I'm good to go. I'm just trying to weight the whole 'issues to price' ratios for these.

EPGs are probably fine, but I'm such a fussbudget and old fashion from my VCR days I prefer setting things by hand for now.

As for as the CM+:
I don't relish buying a brick or a $250 DVR that lacks an internal HDD.

The thing about encrypting all QAM is that it has happened based on an FCC rule change. That could be changed again on a moments notice.

You may not remember but in the 80s you could only watch cable via a converter box, in the 90s TVs and VCRs could tune 120+ channels and cable companies slowly allowed clear analog channels without boxes.

Sooner or later it'll get called a monopoly, the cable companies will realize that QAM is a huge advantage that they have over their competition, or the boxes will just become garbage because they are standard def. and they realize they lost money on the deal.

Doctor-M, I like your thinking and wish I could agree. But clear-QAM has gone the way of the dodo-bird. It's not coming back.
The way that future TVs will be able to directly render a cable signal without a settop box will be via software-based-decryption authorized/keyed by the cable provider.
That is, the 'set top box and decryption/keying functionality' can/will become pure software, executed by the future DTV's CPU - or via an external CPU/settop box, for older/current DTVs.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I'm NOT specifically needing QAM. I'm on antennas at the moment.

In that case, I think the iView and/or Homeworx would make a good stopgap DVR as long as a single tuner is enough. The Homeworx was the first one with somewhat reliable firmware, but the iView has pretty much caught up. Today, I'd go with the iView, mostly because I prefer its remote. You may want to dim the display with some dark plastic, though

A lot of folks have had trouble with timed recordings on these boxes, but I've had pretty good luck except for one OTA station with bad PSIP time (and other issues that will lock up an attempted recording ). YMMV. Their biggest drawback is their total reliance on PSIP for time, which makes timed recordings impossible on many cable systems, even if clear QAM is available; but they are only $40 or so.

As for the DVR+, yes; once you add the HDD you're looking at $300. I assume most of that is for the "free" EPG (but it is a nice 14-day one). No telling how long it'll last though.

At any rate, if/when you change over to cable, perhaps the QAM DVR choices will be better.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-10-2014 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Reverted to original (2 posts below sort of cancel each other out)
Old 10-09-2014, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
DVR+ Guide

Yes it is 14 days but it is not nice. It is very skimpy as far as program names with names being truncated and there are NO program descriptions. In many cases you have to guess as to what the program is on the schedule.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Sounds about like what I remember of TVGOS with my analog devices, better than PSIP but not as complete as Tribune guide info. Of course analog TVGOS and later digital TVGOS was only 7-8 days, not the 14 days of the internet based TVGOS or Tribune.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 426
I don't see how one can separate the data from the processing. We really don't know what amount of data Rovi sends out as their guide and by the same token we really don't know what fraction or subset of that data that the DVR+ uses.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Yes it is 14 days but it is not nice. It is very skimpy as far as program names with names being truncated and there are NO program descriptions. In many cases you have to guess as to what the program is on the schedule.

I stand corrected......since I just got my DVR+ I had not tried all of the remote keys. While the guide does not display much info on the TV screen you can hit the "INFO" button on the remote while on a program listing in the guide and MORE info will then pop up. Since I have 2 DTVPAL DVRS that don't require this additional action I was not aware of this requirement until after I posted my critique of the DVR+.