2014 list of consumer available DVR's with 2016 updates - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 96Likes

post #721 of 728 Old 10-04-2016, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
It'd be great if we could rename the thread. Seems silly to still say 2014.
The OP use to be able to after the thread was started (I have done it), but that was removed along with changing the avatar a number of years ago.

I'll put a request in though the main charts are still from 2014.

Done! Thanks to the Mod who edited the title.

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.

Last edited by videobruce; 10-07-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 728 Old 11-08-2016, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello Folks

Anyone using MTV8000D it has 3 HDMI Inputs, can it record from those. Also I found this store where it ships to Canada - Foresoon hong kong store
Anyone purchased from there? reputation etc

I have an LG HDD, from 7-8 years which is giving up so looking for new solution, not much action in Canada

How is the PHD-VRX I see it ha HDMI IN, can it record or just through

I am no keen on Discs, basically need a DVR for Video Sources

Please recommend
post #723 of 728 Old 11-08-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by dousmith111 View Post
Anyone using MTV8000D it has 3 HDMI Inputs, can it record from those.
From http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv8000d.html
Quote:
MTV8000D includes 3 HDMI 1080P Full HD inputs and a Composite/S-Video input for connecting external sources. These can be used for Magic Link and Video Streaming (see above) or for viewing and recording from video disc players, games consoles or other video devices.
I doubt that it can record HDCP-protected content, but for over $4K , it had better record just about anything else!

One thing I could not find on the Web page is what kind of tuners it has. Again, for $4K I'd expect them to tune any TV broadcast, analog (NTSC, SECAM or PAL) or digital (DVB, QAM, ATSC, or whatever that Japanese system is), anywhere in the world. But it doesn't actually say that, and since it's a Hong Kong device, I'd be dubious that it could tune our strange North American OTA or cable signals.

But if you only need to record unprotected HDMI and are willing to spend that much money, from the Web page it sounds like it will work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dousmith111 View Post
How is the PHD-VRX I see it ha HDMI IN, can it record or just through
No. The PHD-VRX is basically a video switcher with a 2-tuner DVR added on. It can only record from its tuners (and only digital, not analog); not from any of its video inputs.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 11-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.

post #724 of 728 Old 11-11-2016, 11:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
From http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv8000d.html

I doubt that it can record HDCP-protected content, but for over $4K , it had better record just about anything else!

One thing I could not find on the Web page is what kind of tuners it has. Again, for $4K I'd expect them to tune any TV broadcast, analog (NTSC, SECAM or PAL) or digital (DVB, QAM, ATSC, or whatever that Japanese system is), anywhere in the world. But it doesn't actually say that, and since it's a Hong Kong device, I'd be dubious that it could tune our strange North American OTA or cable signals.

But if you only need to record unprotected HDMI and are willing to spend that much money, from the Web page it sounds like it will work.
No. The PHD-VRX is basically a video switcher with a 2-tuner DVR added on. It can only record from its tuners (and only digital, not analog); not from any of its video inputs.
It's just $4000 down the drain and I will tel you why, Recording from HDMI is not the best option there is, recording from HDMI is never losseless, Blu-ray disc or TV program is broadcast compressed and the cable/satellite box blu-ray player decodes and decompress the video and send it out thru HDMI for TV viewing not for recording. The $4000 recorder take the HDMI signal re-compresses it to its proprietary format usually MP4 (check device manual not sure) and then store it to its internal hard drive, True DVR's don't do that, They just take the compressed stream and save it to the internal hard drive no coding re-encoding, compressing de-compressing inside the DVR, therefore no quality loss, The only time decoding and decompressing happens is for viewing only so the TV doesn't have to do the processing (although the TV may does that if it is using its internal TV tuner). One thing that that recorder can probably do is record from it's own ATSC tuner which a $150 channel master box can do just fine. Recording from HDMI source might be appealing to gamers since the game consoles don't have a way to record of off but that can be accomplished by a HDMI capture box that costs less than $100.

Last edited by latreche34; 11-11-2016 at 11:50 PM.
post #725 of 728 Old 12-12-2016, 08:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Confirmed: CM-7003 can record (at least scheduled)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
^^ no real mention of recording(it mentions the USB port is for using it as a "media player") but I can't believe it wouldn't have that function.....of course I wonder if it has the pause live TV function
Rabbit73 has a CM-7003, and he reports that scheduled recordings work:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit73 View Post
I tried recording, and it worked for me after a little trial and error. I ordered some 8 GB USB drives, but they sent me 32 GB drives. I inserted one in the front and did a format and recorded a few minutes, but I couldn't figure out how to playback because the instructions were too skimpy for me. I finally realized I had to go into USB in the menu to playback.
I bet the instructions were skimpy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
As mentioned on the DVR+ owners thread, CM has removed the pages from the CM-7003 user guide that explain how to record and set the time-shift buffer size!

I don't know if they've removed the functionality from the CM-7003 firmware or are just trying especially hard to hide its existence. There are still some hints of recording functionality in the user guide, such as a blurry screen-shot of the USB menu showing the PVR function as one of the choices, but until someone has a CM-7003 and can give a first-hand report, no one knows for sure.
Rabbit73 hasn't tested time-shifting yet. (I warned him, based on my own experience, that most USB sticks won't work for time-shifting.) IIRC that function is disabled on the RCA clone.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 12-12-2016 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Add title
post #726 of 728 Old 12-13-2016, 12:36 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 688 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Interesting, I wonder if they want to downsell the DVR function as it would probably cause more issues for them then just not mentioning it even had that feature.....
Kind of like TVs that fail to mention they have a QAM tuner when they actually do......
post #727 of 728 Old 12-13-2016, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked: 246
Then why even sell it?

Free, abundant OTA television separates this country from many others. ATSC1 has only been in force since 2009. The wireless industry has enough spectrum. Enough of 'planned obsolesce'.
post #728 of 728 Old 12-13-2016, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Guess they're selling it as a tuner/media player only. For those who discover the recording feature, great; but if it fails there's no support from CM. (Not that CM support is that great anyhow.)

Kind of like QAM on the HomeWorX brand boxes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders