AVS Forum banner

2014 list of consumer available DVR's with 2016 updates

138K views 727 replies 90 participants last post by  JHBrandt 
#1 · (Edited)
With well over 700 individual boxes to fill in in the table, it's close to impossible not to have some errors. To those select individuals that claim the information is wrong and especially to spineless one that posted "if your intent is to help people because you are not doing it". You are surely free to explain in detail the correction needed.

Apparently some refuse to look at both sides of the coin and only see the pluses, ignoring the negatives. I look at the whole picture.

The requirements to be listed here are;

1. Available for purchase (new or used) in the US,
2. A stand alone, combined ATSC and/or QAM HD tuner(s) with an internal HDD and or provision for one or,
3. One that has at least one USB and/or eSATA port(s) for an external HDD,
4. Connects to a television directly (HDMI and/or component and/or composite) with no other interface needed,
5. Does not gets it's programming exclusively from the Internet (streaming),
6. Doesn't depend on a PC to record or store the material,
7. HD capable recording (of course).

I didn't include this;
Goldstar (LG) LST-3410A due to age, even though it is still functional. You may be able to find one if you look long enough. The owners thread is here for reference;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/337424/lg-lst-3410a-review-and-discussion

Since this is a forum for DVR's not computers or just streaming devices, these units weren't included;
AVerTV Hybrid TVBox 11,
Ceton InfiniTV
Hauppauge USB Tuner
SiliconDust HDHomeRun
simple.TV
Tablo TV
If you are interested in those, try here;
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

See post #6 for a current list of DVR's, courtesy of member wajo!

See less See more
#78 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will in MKE  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60_20#post_23190164

I only have experience with the DTVPal DVR. Here are my corrections:

Protect recordings from deletion -- Pal gives the option to mark any single recording as protected. Can also default all recordings to protected.

Auto pad recordings start & end in Guide -- option to select a default recording "start early" and "end late" times. That is a menu option, NOT right from the guide. But can select a show to record from guide, then edit start / end times.

Skip ahead or back time amounts -- 30 sec fwd, 10 sec back.

Edit recorded program name -- Yes (after recording is complete)

Firmware upgrade; Internet and/or USB -- USB only now, as Dish stopped supporting this. File can be found on 1st page of official AVS DTVPal DVR thread.

Add channels not in the original scan -- yes. not exactly sure what you mean by this. You can do an "add new channels" which will scan and look for additional channels. The Pal will auto-add channels on its own though. Interesting when tropo happens... You can also add a specific channel if you want to.

Add individual channels via physical numbers -- yes, by actual RF number, not the "mapped" number.
That's weird. I just discovered this guide and sent videobruce most of the same corrections via PM, right before you posted this.

The odds must be crazy

#79 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60#post_23191057

Assuming you are referring to the DTVPal/Channel Master CM7000;

1. The DTVPal is a much older model which has been long discontinued.

2. I only included it due to it's popularity and the reliability (from what I have read).

3. The case is hoaky and it doesn't have the additional features current models have.

4. After adjustments PQ with non starved bit rate programs is as good as any other DVR. Audio from the optical out is fine.

5. I rarely use the supplied remote with any piece of equipment unless it is by itself with no other equipment connected to it. VRX's small remote isn't a real issue. It's a easy & cheap fix to get a learning remote.

I took the above into account with taking the minuses of the VRX into account when I devised the ratings. If you look at the Moxi & TiVo, you will see both are now three stars. If you read the next post you will see why. The overall dismal state of DVR's today is disgusting at best.

I don't know what you mean by "the controls of recordings is poor". You don't have to go on with the issues, I'm more than aware of them if you have read post 1174 (the last laundry list) unless there is something I missed.

While the PALDVR is older and discontinued, it is MORE ADVANCED in OTA recording features and quality than the VRX. If you are doing a comparison between the 2 the PALDVR is head and shoulders a better buy.

THE PALDVR is much easier to setup recordings, see the recordings and view them than the VRX. SKipping through a recording and deleting is easier. The info associate with a recording is better. I could go on with more features that the PALDVR has that surpasses the VRX but I think you know that already. That's why I was puzzled by your rating the units the same at 3 stars.

I would like to see others who own both comment.

Proof is that knowing what I now know about both units and if I had to buy another OTA DVR, and I had a choice between the PALDVR (because it was still available) and the EPI-VRX I would without hesitation buy the PALDVR and recommend that over the EPI unit unequivocally.

#80 ·
But, all of that only applies to when it was still currently sold new. I don't doubt, based on "issues" the DTVPal is superior. It was designed for Joe Sixpack.

But splitting hairs on a three star rating is just that. Again, I'm taking everything into account, not just the pluses or just the minuses. I could of gone to a ten star rating, but then if one was 4 and the other 6, it would still be wrong. Actually, the "current and recently discontinued" would eliminate this from the chart all together along with a few others.

BTW, I did own one, actually two. One went to my brother in law, the other was sold, but that was years ago.

#81 ·
I would say, despite its age and discontinuance, the DTVPal is still one of the best DVRs in the "OTA no-fee" category. But of course that's not what everyone's looking for. Its lack of analog and QAM tuners makes it useless for cable customers, and its lack of a paid guide option is a big drawback for many. It also has a few other drawbacks. I find them all to be minor quibbles, but YMMV:

1. It doesn't spin down the HD in standby, so it uses too much power IMO.

2. The DST bugs: some users have no problems at all, while others find them intolerable. For me they're an annoyance but hardly fatal.

3. Videobruce is right about the case design: it's hokey. I think they tried too hard to give it a TiVo "look & feel." At least the CM version lacks the silly-looking graphics of the Dish version

4. It lacks an S-video output, so picture quality on older SD TVs is sub-par. (Quality on HDTVs is excellent.)

5. The RF pass-through is nice in theory but useless in practice - when engaged, it shuts down not only the RF modulator like a VCR would, but all non-RF outputs too. Might as well just put it in standby.

6. The manual is lacking, and official support is essentially non-existent. Luckily we have AVSForum (as do all these DVRs)

On the plus side, it has an intuitive, but not overly "cute," user interface similar to Dish's satellite receivers; a nice "universal" remote that will save you from having to buy one; expansion up to 1 TB (internal, or even external, although not through the built-in USB port); a grid-style guide that's maintained in the background, so it doesn't slow down your browsing; and most other standard DVR features (except name-based recording, which is probably an advantage with only PSIP to populate its program guide, since it'll record even if the guide doesn't get timely updates).

Obviously a new DTVPal or CM-7000Pal is a rare find these days. I think Antennalogic still has a few if you're willing to pay his prices. Used Pals are still fairly common on eBay though.

All things considered, I'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars if I were doing an AVSForum review (which allows half stars), but how you'd key that into a post is beyond me.

#82 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60#post_23186205

andydrew said - Although should simple.tv be added to this list?

videobruce said - Not according to this from their site:

streams live and recorded TV programs to web-connected devices like the iPad, Roku media streamer, and PCs and Macs.,

It doesn't plug into your TV set,

A PC or Mac running Firefox, Chrome or Safari to setup your account online and to watch TV.

It's PC and mobile electronic toy related. Besides it has to be the dumbest looking thing I have seen. Looks more like a small plastic pillow or large pill box.

Although simple.tv does meet the requirements that you laid out in the first post of this thread:

"The requirements are;

1. Available for purchase in the US,

2. A stand alone, combined ATSC and/or QAM HD tuner(s) with an internal HDD and or provision for one or, one that has at least one USB and/or eSATA port(s) for an external HDD."

Although it does not plug directly into your set you can view on your set with a Roku, AppleTV with an airplay device, as well as any computing device that can hook to your tv.

#83 ·

Quote:
Although it does not plug directly into your set you can view on your set with a Roku, AppleTV with an airplay device
Mobile electronic toys are a entirely separate category that doesn't even come close to fitting in this sub forum.

Besides, on a scale of one to ten, ten being the worst as far as looks & design, this gets a nine. It is so far out in left field, it doesn't even warrant editing the requirements.

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB100  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60#post_23195121

How about the Dish Hopper? That device was supposed to be adding tuners for ATSC recording.
Can anyone(not just someone wanting to pay money to Dish) purchase and use the Hopper?

If the answer is no then IMO it does NOT belong in this thread nor does any of the many other pay TV DVRs that also happen to record OTA. Besides have you checked out the OPs chart.... It's maxed out now as far as models, my guess is some of the older ones will need to be deleted as newer such devices come around. Only so much width he has access to

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by andydrew  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60#post_23194437

Although simple.tv does meet the requirements that you laid out in the first post of this thread:

As does WMC, XBMC and many others... what one doesn't understand one dismisses... as to not fitting into this sub forum... well my rather ill fitting DVR thread has fifteen thousand reasons to support other wise.

#87 ·
I agree that folks should consider PC software-based DVRs as additional alternatives. They're not for everyone but they're often more functional than the commercially-available boxes compared here. I think the point of this thread is to compare the commercial boxes, though. But I would encourage anyone looking for a new DVR to click on your sig and read a bit before making a final decision. I built a little AMD PC with Win 7 and have been very happy with it.

#88 ·
I think it was quite clear from the start that the focus of the OP was on out-of-the-box stand-alone HDTV DVR's that one could buy outright on Amazon, eBay, etc. and then plug into your TV and coax and use. That precludes cable DVR's and PC-based solutions, among others. If you could buy a fully configured PC-based DVR running WMC or XBMC or NextPVR or Media Portal or BeyondTV or any other of a number of DVR packages, that could be taken out of the box, plugged in and used immediately without any thought or interaction with Windows, then it should be in the list -- but AFAIK you can't and as such it is simply outside the scope of this thread. Actually given the number of software DVR packages out there, they could easily merit their own separate comparison thread as a companion to this.

Eventually the focus will narrow to OTA. With the recent FCC ruling, clear QAM is on borrowed time. Once Comcast starts the ball rolling to encrypt everything it will spread very quickly.

Reactions: videobruce
#90 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/80_20#post_23195612

Actually given the number of software DVR packages out there, they could easily merit their own separate comparison thread as a companion to this.
That's a good idea. Charles is most familiar with WMC and somewhat with XBMC, but if someone put up a DVR software comparison chart that included WMC, XBMC, MediaPortal, etc., and maybe also TiVo for reference, I think it could be as useful as this one.
Quote:
Eventually the focus will narrow to OTA. With the recent FCC ruling, clear QAM is on borrowed time. Once Comcast starts the ball rolling to encrypt everything it will spread very quickly.
I think TWC already has, although I'm not a TWC customer so I can't say for sure.

If you're looking at CableCARD devices (I hate that crazy capitalization; is CARD some weird acronym?) you're limited to Moxi, TiVo, and certain PC tuners AFAIK. That would be another reason for a PC software comparison chart.

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/60#post_23195612

I think it was quite clear from the start that the focus of the OP was on out-of-the-box stand-alone HDTV DVR's that one could buy outright on Amazon, eBay, etc. and then plug into your TV and coax and use.

I agree. At the same time don't dismiss everything else... or call it a list of available DVRs... rather it's a list of DVRs one happens to endorse. I also agree HTPC based DVRs can be complex however at the same time you can take one out of the box and within an hour (running WMC's wizard) be up and running. And require no more maintenance or attention than TiVo.

#94 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/90#post_23196130

Crafting an appropriate thread title is always a challenge.

Completely off topic so it's my last post... however some people take things far too literally. It's not the title it's the content.

#95 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-available-in-the-us/90#post_23195868

I agree. At the same time don't dismiss everything else... or call it a list of available DVRs... rather it's a list of DVRs one happens to endorse. I also agree HTPC based DVRs can be complex however at the same time you can take one out of the box and within an hour (running WMC's wizard) be up and running. And require no more maintenance or attention than TiVo.
There is a local computer builder who does build HTPC's out of their shop. Only takes them a couple of days to have it ready for your pick-up. It easily fits in most entertainment centers and most people wouldn't even know that it was a pc just by looking at it. Would that be considered a consumer dvr?

#96 ·

Quote:
At the same time don't dismiss everything else... or call it a list of available DVRs... rather it's a list of DVRs one happens to endorse.
Your comment is completely unwarranted. Just because you don't happen to agree with me what a "DVR" is, then I suggest you take a look through the first page in this sub forum and see how many computers and/or computer related devices you find. You can also take a look through the old thread on DVR's from 2008 and see how many unrelated items that have been mentioned to be included are listed there.

Are you not aware there already is a sub forum for what you are talking about?

This isn't a list of DVR's that I "endorse". If that was thew case TiVo surely would not be there. There also wouldn't be models that have one or two stars either.

#97 ·
This is why HTPC solutions are typically called PVRs, not DVRs. A DVR is, as Kelson pointed out, a device that can be purchased, unboxed, and connected directly to a TV. Any software solution that requires a PC and runs under a separate OS is a PVR and falls under the discussion in the HTPC forum. This topic is not inappropriately named (although consumer-available should be hyphenated), and it is not biased; it is merely a list of DVRs, and PVRs are not relevant to this topic's discussion. A PVR software comparison topic would indeed be useful, but it would need to be created separately and in the HTPC forum.

#98 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-in-the-us/60#post_23192722

I would say, despite its age and discontinuance, the DTVPal is still one of the best DVRs in the "OTA no-fee" category. But of course that's not what everyone's looking for. Its lack of analog and QAM tuners makes it useless for cable customers, and its lack of a paid guide option is a big drawback for many. It also has a few other drawbacks. I find them all to be minor quibbles, but YMMV:

1. It doesn't spin down the HD in standby, so it uses too much power IMO. We are talking pennies of extra cost a year. Plus it get you 3 seconds boot up. Compare that to the IVIEW, EPI and others. Also not sure spinning down the HD and spinning it up all the time is such a good thing for the HD

2. The DST bugs: some users have no problems at all, while others find them intolerable. For me they're an annoyance but hardly fatal. I never had an issue and it seems most people have been able to fix it quickly

3. Videobruce is right about the case design: it's hokey. I think they tried too hard to give it a TiVo "look & feel." At least the CM version lacks the silly-looking graphics of the Dish version
Lets see no annoying red lights on the front panel, lots of holes to dissipate heat....not so bad in my opinion. Actually well done

4. It lacks an S-video output, so picture quality on older SD TVs is sub-par. (Quality on HDTVs is excellent.)People with SD TVs should look elsewhere I agree. But if you are OTA with a HD TV this is the DVR for you

5. The RF pass-through is nice in theory but useless in practice - when engaged, it shuts down not only the RF modulator like a VCR would, but all non-RF outputs too. Might as well just put it in standby.

6. The manual is lacking, and official support is essentially non-existent. Luckily we have AVSForum (as do all these DVRs)
I guess if the PALDVR manula os lacking then you would give the IVIEW and EPI and F grade compared to the PALDVR. AT least with the PLADVR you get a manual and it is readable

On the plus side, it has an intuitive, but not overly "cute," user interface similar to Dish's satellite receivers; a nice "universal" remote that will save you from having to buy one; expansion up to 1 TB (internal, or even external, although not through the built-in USB port); a grid-style guide that's maintained in the background, so it doesn't slow down your browsing; and most other standard DVR features (except name-based recording, which is probably an advantage with only PSIP to populate its program guide, since it'll record even if the guide doesn't get timely updates).

Obviously a new DTVPal or CM-7000Pal is a rare find these days. I think Antennalogic still has a few if you're willing to pay his prices. Used Pals are still fairly common on eBay though.

All things considered, I'd give it 3 1/2 out of 5 stars if I were doing an AVSForum review (which allows half stars), but how you'd key that into a post is beyond me.

#99 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives  /t/1460149/updated-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs-in-the-us/90#post_23196737

This is why HTPC solutions are typically called PVRs, not DVRs.

Try again...

A digital video recorder (DVR), sometimes referred to by the merchandising term personal video recorder (PVR), is a consumer electronics device or application software that records video in a digital format to a disk drive, USB flash drive, SD memory card or other local or networked mass storage device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_video_recorder

Note the section covering PC based digital video recorder...

Software and hardware is available which can turn personal computers running Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X into DVRs, and is a popular option for home-theater PC (HTPC) enthusiasts.

If you don't want to bother reading the details...

The term includes set-top boxes (STB) with direct to disk recording facility, portable media players (PMP) with recording, recorders (PMR) as camcorders that record onto Secure Digital memory cards and software for personal computers which enables video capture and playback to and from a hard disk drive.

Perhaps STB would fit (to a much larger degree at least)? Oh and the name of this sub forum?... HDTV Recorders.

#101 ·
A couple of comments about the comparison Chart and the units.

One of the units (PALDVR) in the chart uses SATA as the interface to the hard drive. SATA is MUCH faster than USB. This is probably why the unit can record 2 shows at the same time the user is viewing a previously recorded show. However the chart does not show which DVR uses SATA and can do this.

At least 2 of these DVRS have issues with recording and viewing previously recorded shows at the same time. I don't think the chart shows this.

The PALDVR does use an internal drive but it can easily be converted to using an external drive as many of us PALDVR owners have done. You would not know that from the chart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.