2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 21 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 77Likes

post #601 of 627 Old 02-04-2015, 03:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
According to the Mediasonic website, it appears the "new version" of the HW-180STB has recording capability (http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1422401158), so should this be added to the list on the first post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 627 Old 02-04-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Interesting. The Amazon listing doesn't say it records, and the model number doesn't include the PVR extension.

Also, should this thread be renamed the 2015 list?
phildaant likes this.

--
(this space for rent)
post #603 of 627 Old 02-04-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
Interesting. The Amazon listing doesn't say it records, and the model number doesn't include the PVR extension.

True, the model number is wrong, but image 5 of 5 shows it recording.
post #604 of 627 Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 240
As I mentioned on the HW thread, it looks like the HW150 and HW180 are very similar. Biggest difference is, the 180 lacks a few of the 150's lesser-used outputs.

Now that Mediasonic has finally added recording to the 180, I bet their functionality is similar too. It probably doesn't need its own column; just a mention in the heading.
post #605 of 627 Old 02-05-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben View Post
According to the Mediasonic website, it appears the "new version" of the HW-180STB has recording capability (http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1422401158), so should this be added to the list on the first post?
I think you can see the first posts have not been updated in quite some time.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #606 of 627 Old 02-06-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Newbie to this area - Does the following box exist?

Like many others these days while not cutting "The Cord" completely, have cut way back. Watch a lot of our TV by streaming.

We watch TCM, HBOGo, watchESPN, XfinityGo and some news channels via streaming. (Comcast is included in the HOA amenities at our 2nd home - thus we can access Comcast based streams at our lst home.)

What I do now is log on to whatever stream I want and "cast" it- via Chromecast - to the wall hung plasma. I can do this via PC, tablet, or Samsung S4 phone.

What I want to be able to do is find a box (if such an animal exists) that would - maybe would have to be in conjunction with
a PC - the following:
1. Act like a DVR and allow me to program future recordings. Ideally, could be done using a remote.
2. Even if there only minimal storage, allow for a plug in flash drive or hard drive.

We have superfast internet - 250Mbps UP and Dwn.

There is a software program that seems to be able to record any video that plays on your computer. Just more involved than I want to be to set up a recording. I've been spoiled by ease of setting up a recording by Comcast's DVRs. We watch almost everything later, often several days. Sports I start watching an hour after it starts and FF thru commercials, 1/2 times etc.
post #607 of 627 Old 02-06-2015, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Why do you need to program recordings? Streaming services are on demand, so you can already watch whenever you want.
post #608 of 627 Old 02-06-2015, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Why do you need to program recordings? Streaming services are on demand, so you can already watch whenever you want.
Mainly - It would be useful for sports. I like to start watching 1-3 hours later so I can watch a 3 hours sport event in almost half the time.
After reading your post, did discover that network shows ARE available on demand via XfinityGo. We still have the lowest end tier with Comcast and still pay the $16/mo. for a DVR so have been watching network shows that way. IF you watch network shows via streaming, you ar stuck watching commercials. The advantage of a DVR (any recorder) is you can record then FF thru commercials.)
What I will miss, if/when we get rid of Comcast altogether is a local sports station. The local sports stations are not on XfinityGo. Comcast, itself, owns many of those. Maybe I should ween myself from sports (college football and MLB) You can subscribe to the entire MLB package for $20/mo. for the 6 mo. season - more than what Comcast charges to add the sports tier. (Of course the low Comcast sports tier just gives you your local teams and ESPN). ESPN is available via streaming - which I'd like to record.

I think streaming is the wave of the future. HBO is going to make itself available for subscription online - w.o. being tied to a cable company - like now.

Comcast offers 100s of channels. I don't want to pay for 80 channels just to get access to the 10 or 15 we ever watch. They would keep our business if they offered an a la carte menu.

End of rant.
post #609 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Of course streaming is the future. As you said, it forces you to watch the commercials, which is what the networks want. They don't like DVRs.
phildaant likes this.
post #610 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Wink

Quote:
Of course streaming is the future. As you said, it forces you to watch the commercials, which is what the networks want. They don't like DVRs.
Also, fast and stable Internet. Not everyone has that. Also, I prefer playing from local recordings instead remotely.
post #611 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Quote:
And people are playing willingly right into their hands.
slowbiscuit and phildaant like this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #612 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
And people are playing willingly right into their hands.
I met a few people who didn't mind commercial breaks like on Hulu. Argh. Most people hate them.
post #613 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 185
Quote:
Quote:
I think you can see the first posts have not been updated in quite some time.
There is more than one very good reason for that which I choose not to go into.

phildaant likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 02-07-2015 at 03:46 PM.
post #614 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
1. You can do that without relying on some other means of transport by already having the recordings.
2. The "Internet" does not have unlimited bandwidth for streaming, especially actual HD material (if it can really do this in the first place).
3. Sending Gigabytes of video data is not the same as send a e-mail.
4. OTA TV works and has worked for decades. It isn't broken, it doesn't need fixing. Improvement maybe, but not a overhaul since it just got one starting 12 or so years ago. It was called HDTV.
5. Enough has been taken from broadcasters. Space which hasn't been used yet. If they want more, take it from the vast, mostly unused military wasteland between around 220 and 400MHz!
6. The real problem is; Americans have gotten ay to lazy. All they seem to care about is pushing a button with instant results on their idiot phone.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #615 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't think we're likely to see a "streaming DVR" anytime soon. As was mentioned, streaming content providers want to force you to watch the commercials (or else to pay them not to have to), so they won't license their content to any such box. Best bet for going that route will always be a PC.

But it sounds like what snidely needs is just a good DVR for network shows that can be programmed remotely. TiVo can do that, as can a PC with WMC and Remote Potato.

Since snidely has two homes, another possibility to consider - especially if he wants to cut the cord completely at some point - would be to combine a decent OTA (antenna) DVR, such as CM's DVR+, with something like a Slingbox so he could not only control it remotely but also watch the recordings remotely too.
post #616 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Many of us would be willing to pay "something" for each program we DL. Eg. We are Daily Show fanatics. It is available for free fro their web site!! I would pay 20¢/episode or $3/mo w.o. ads. I'd still like to have a device that automatically records it or lets me immediately use a remote to tune in, pause, backup, FF etc.
phildaant likes this.
post #617 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
Many of us would be willing to pay "something" for each program we DL. Eg. We are Daily Show fanatics. It is available for free fro their web site!! I would pay 20¢/episode or $3/mo w.o. ads. I'd still like to have a device that automatically records it or lets me immediately use a remote to tune in, pause, backup, FF etc.
Nice. What are their ads like for the download? Is it DRMed like to one/1 device?
post #618 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
Nice. What are their ads like for the download? Is it DRMed like to one/1 device?
I just watched the Daily Show on line this evening as a test. Went to the Com. Central site on the PC laptop and played it on he PC. Quality on the PC was ok. Then cast it via Chromecast to TV - video was noticeably jerky.
Then realized there is a Com Central app. DL'd it to my S4. There, on the pic on my phone was the Chromecast icon to click on!! I clicked on it - and up popped an HD video! The only problem was that the video/audio on the Daily Show I was watching was just sitely out of synch. When I disconnected from the CCast, all seemed to be in synch on the phone. When I ran the "Nightly Show", things were much more out of synch - to the point it was annoying when casting. I didn't notice how it was when not casting.

I wouln't know if DRM comes into play. How would I know? What is "one/1 device" mean? There was only one short commercial between each sement on the programs - not nearly as many as when watching on cable.
phildaant likes this.
post #619 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
... I wouln't know if DRM comes into play. How would I know? What is "one/1 device" mean? There was only one short commercial between each sement on the programs - not nearly as many as when watching on cable.
After downloading (not streaming) to your device, can you copy it to another device to watch?
post #620 of 627 Old 02-07-2015, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildaant View Post
After downloading (not streaming) to your device, can you copy it to another device to watch?
You can't download it. You can only stream it and only from the US (AFAIK).

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
rant
I'll point out two things.
  1. Your points have nothing to do with my post. It's perfectly true that streaming services provide on-demand content and thus do not require a DVR to let you watch shows on your own schedule. I said nothing about whether that was a good or a bad thing.
  2. Why are you ranting at me? I don't like streaming services, either. My Internet access is slow, and I hate buffering. In fact, according to the FCC's new standards, my access doesn't even qualify as broadband anymore. Besides, why should I pay for Hulu when I can record the show OTA for free?
phildaant likes this.
post #621 of 627 Old 02-08-2015, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Your points have nothing to do with my post.
Why are you ranting at me?
Aleron;
It's no "rant", it's all facts, I was comment in general on the subject of "streaming" using your statement as example.
Quote:
I don't like streaming services, either.
We are on the same page here.

post #622 of 627 Old 02-08-2015, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

The term "rant" shouldn't be read negatively these days. It's become more of a term of art for giving a strongly-worded opinion on some topic.
post #623 of 627 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Magic Link MTV8000D-4TB DVR

If anyone is interested, here is a neat DVR that's available from a company in Hong Kong.
It will accept 3 HDMI sources as inputs to record from, along with a dual tuner.
Don't let the $5980 Hong Kong price scare you, it's about $800 US dollars.
http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv8000d-4tb.html

Last edited by ACSWIRELESS; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.
post #624 of 627 Old Yesterday, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I believe you'll find a thread somewhere in this forum talking about that recorder, the one big caveat is it's tuner is DVB, IOW won't work in the US
It's also a bit trick to get one to the US, another forum member had someone in HK ship his. Amazon US does sell a HDMI recorder but no tuner what so ever.
post #625 of 627 Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The term "rant" shouldn't be read negatively these days.
Sorry I didn't understand your meaning, the term presents itself as harsh according to a few dictionary definitions I searched for.

post #626 of 627 Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

It's a rant in the sense that it had nothing to do with my post yet was posted as a reply to my post, as though we were disagreeing on something that we actually agree upon.
post #627 of 627 Old Today, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Traditionally, "rant" has meant an angry and often incoherent diatribe, which is certainly negative. But in recent years I've also heard it used more neutrally to refer to any moderately detailed explanation of one's opinion on some matter, whether or not it's angrily worded or well-argued.

Aleron may have meant it in the negative sense, but I didn't want to assume that's how he meant it. That's really all I meant to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page