2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 81Likes
post #631 of 638 Unread 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1038 Post(s)
Liked: 788
Get an iView or Homeworx. They're cheap and do what you want.
wyelkins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 638 Unread 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Get an iView or Homeworx. They're cheap and do what you want.
+1
And while they do allow you to setup reoccurring events I don't really do that anymore, instead I program them as a one shot event. I had too many "issues" with missed events using reoccurring events.
Both the iView and Homeworx(and many other brands that are basically the same thing) start ~$40 at Amazon + USB HDD and are basically a digital VCR.
post #633 of 638 Unread 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhyne11 View Post
Okay, if I'm in the wrong forum, feel free to redirect me. I have cut the cord, but have a question. I have two HD TVs and two Rokus (subscribe to Netflix and Sling TV for most of the year). I am lucky and can pick up a decent # of OTA local & PBS stations with $10 indoor antennas. Occasionally, there are two OTA network shows on at the same time that I wish to watch. Since my circa 1990's VCR no longer works, what is the least expensive way to be able to record one show on just one TV. I don't need to be able to skip commercials or anything like that. It would be nice to be able to set ahead of time (i.e. set to record every Thur @ 10pm on channel 9.1) I don't wish to pay a monthly fee since I will only use this 15 - 20 times a year for an hour or so each time. Most of the DVRs I've looked into seem to be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for any help!
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum as well:
We are slowly cutting the cord - at least in our 2nd home. Our main home comes with most Comcast channels available via the HOA, incl HBO. Because of that, can watch HBO Go, Xfinity TV GO (which is rather poor quality) and other streaming services.
So, is there a "box" out there that can record streams. We are spoiled by using Comcast DVRs over the years. Time shifting, FF thru commercials are the main items. We can stream the Daily Show via Com Central (don't know about after Jon leaves).

We make use of the Chromecast to cast the picture on our plasma.
post #634 of 638 Unread 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 49
If you don't need HD, I strongly recommend the Funai/Magnavox SD DVRs. I don't know if they still make them or what model they're up to, but for someone first time off of a VCR, you'll find it more in line with what you're use to.

Last I saw they sold for about the same price as the last VCR I bought (15 years ago).

DVD quality picture, digital tuner, watch one show and record another, no program guide or subscription fees. Just set the timer like a VCR.

I feed an antenna in for HDTV broadcasts and also wired a cable box in on RCA cables for non-OTA channels.

--
(this space for rent)
post #635 of 638 Unread 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reviewing, it looks like the Homeworx would work great for me. Thanks for the suggestions!
post #636 of 638 Unread 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM

I went on Amazon to order the Homeworx 180STB and there's an "old" version and a "new" version. Anyone know which version is the most reliable?
post #637 of 638 Unread 07-11-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked: 280
IIRC the "old" HW-180 cannot record shows, so get the "new" one. The "new" HW-180 is similar to the slightly pricier HW-150 except for lacking the seldom-used component video and coaxial digital audio outputs. (If, perchance, you need either of those outputs, get the HW-150 instead.)

The "old" HW-180 has a USB port, but its firmware only allows for playing digital media (music, photos, videos) downloaded or recorded by another device, such as a PC.
post #638 of 638 Unread Today, 09:39 AM

Perfect. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders