2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 84Likes

post #631 of 667 Old 07-07-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1117 Post(s)
Liked: 843
Get an iView or Homeworx. They're cheap and do what you want.
wyelkins likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 667 Old 07-07-2015, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Get an iView or Homeworx. They're cheap and do what you want.
+1
And while they do allow you to setup reoccurring events I don't really do that anymore, instead I program them as a one shot event. I had too many "issues" with missed events using reoccurring events.
Both the iView and Homeworx(and many other brands that are basically the same thing) start ~$40 at Amazon + USB HDD and are basically a digital VCR.
post #633 of 667 Old 07-07-2015, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhyne11 View Post
Okay, if I'm in the wrong forum, feel free to redirect me. I have cut the cord, but have a question. I have two HD TVs and two Rokus (subscribe to Netflix and Sling TV for most of the year). I am lucky and can pick up a decent # of OTA local & PBS stations with $10 indoor antennas. Occasionally, there are two OTA network shows on at the same time that I wish to watch. Since my circa 1990's VCR no longer works, what is the least expensive way to be able to record one show on just one TV. I don't need to be able to skip commercials or anything like that. It would be nice to be able to set ahead of time (i.e. set to record every Thur @ 10pm on channel 9.1) I don't wish to pay a monthly fee since I will only use this 15 - 20 times a year for an hour or so each time. Most of the DVRs I've looked into seem to be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for any help!
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum as well:
We are slowly cutting the cord - at least in our 2nd home. Our main home comes with most Comcast channels available via the HOA, incl HBO. Because of that, can watch HBO Go, Xfinity TV GO (which is rather poor quality) and other streaming services.
So, is there a "box" out there that can record streams. We are spoiled by using Comcast DVRs over the years. Time shifting, FF thru commercials are the main items. We can stream the Daily Show via Com Central (don't know about after Jon leaves).

We make use of the Chromecast to cast the picture on our plasma.
post #634 of 667 Old 07-07-2015, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
If you don't need HD, I strongly recommend the Funai/Magnavox SD DVRs. I don't know if they still make them or what model they're up to, but for someone first time off of a VCR, you'll find it more in line with what you're use to.

Last I saw they sold for about the same price as the last VCR I bought (15 years ago).

DVD quality picture, digital tuner, watch one show and record another, no program guide or subscription fees. Just set the timer like a VCR.

I feed an antenna in for HDTV broadcasts and also wired a cable box in on RCA cables for non-OTA channels.

--
(this space for rent)
post #635 of 667 Old 07-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After reviewing, it looks like the Homeworx would work great for me. Thanks for the suggestions!
post #636 of 667 Old 07-10-2015, 01:12 PM

I went on Amazon to order the Homeworx 180STB and there's an "old" version and a "new" version. Anyone know which version is the most reliable?
post #637 of 667 Old 07-11-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 330
IIRC the "old" HW-180 cannot record shows, so get the "new" one. The "new" HW-180 is similar to the slightly pricier HW-150 except for lacking the seldom-used component video and coaxial digital audio outputs. (If, perchance, you need either of those outputs, get the HW-150 instead.)

The "old" HW-180 has a USB port, but its firmware only allows for playing digital media (music, photos, videos) downloaded or recorded by another device, such as a PC.
post #638 of 667 Old 07-13-2015, 09:39 AM

Perfect. Thanks!
post #639 of 667 Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Posts 1, 2 & 4 updated.

phildaant likes this.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.

Last edited by videobruce; 08-01-2015 at 05:34 AM. Reason: further updates
post #640 of 667 Old 07-31-2015, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the Magnavox MDR557H/F7 has been removed from the list. I know it's SD, but it does seem to be available new from Walmart and Amazon.

I can't find mention as to why.

--
(this space for rent)
post #641 of 667 Old 07-31-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

This is the HDTV recorders section. That unit gets discussed in the DVD recorders section, IIRC.
post #642 of 667 Old 08-01-2015, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I noticed the Magnavox MDR557H/F7 has been removed from the list. I know it's SD, but it does seem to be available new from Walmart and Amazon.
I can't find mention as to why.

From the top of the very 1st post;
Quote:
The requirements to be listed here are;

7. HD capable recording (of course).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #643 of 667 Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for updating this thread Videobruce
Actually it looks like the Magnavox DVRs were removed over a year ago from your list, not sure what brought up the new attention.
The Magnavox DVRs are kind of a grey area, as you know they are actually able to record from a HD channel, it's just that they downconvert everything to SD. Kind of like another DVR(Simple DVR??) where it didn't actually record the bitstream unaltered, although it was HD.
post #644 of 667 Old 08-01-2015, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The original Maggy/Phillips was SD and was removed. The current Phillips listed is HD. All made by Funai (unless I completely missed something)

post #645 of 667 Old 08-01-2015, 04:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The original Maggy/Phillips was SD and was removed. The current Phillips listed is HD. All made by Funai (unless I completely missed something)
Yes the Philips/Magnavox DVDRs dating back to '07 made by Funai were/are SD only recording. The Philips DVR of a couple years ago, which is now discontinued, is HD and actually made by Philips not Funai.
I have one of the Philips DVRs and it's actually a decent basic DVR for the price I paid($99 at closeout) but was overpriced at it's retail of $200+. For not much more than the Philips one could get a CM+ with dual tuners and a guide, the Philips uses PSIP and VCR style programming.
Note in your chart you state the Philips has a digital/analog tuner and while it does have a analog tuner it cannot record analog, only digital.

Last edited by jjeff; 08-01-2015 at 05:00 PM.
post #646 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The Philips DVR of a couple years ago, which is now discontinued
Must of been recently, e-Bay has them listed as new, one just went for over $500. Amazon had them two weeks ago new, but not now.

Quote:
actually made by Philips not Funai.
Source??

Quote:
Note in your chart you state the Philips has a digital/analog tuner and while it does have a analog tuner it cannot record analog, only digital.
It wasn't listed either way, there is no entry in the chart for analog record.

Last edited by videobruce; 08-02-2015 at 05:10 AM.
post #647 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I updated all the other entries as to availability.
I can't edit the chart due the the back and forth forums software from the past few years or I will loose formatting which I have no intention of redoing. If it wasn't for wajo, I wouldn't of been able to have a in post chart, just attachments. Actually, I haven't updated the attachments since I'm afraid by doing so the formatting would be lost also. I tried to C&P the chart to another post in the test sub-froum and the formatting was lost without making any changes.

post #648 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Please direct me to right forum

I am not sure I am in the right place. Newbie in this field needs guidance.

Like lots of others, am cutting the cord - at least to some extent, especially t 2nd home. Besides Netfliix, watch a lot from streaming sources like HBO Go, TCM, Xfinity Go, etc. What i am missing most is the Comcast DVR since we watch most things on a time shifted basis. We stream via "tuning in" using a PC or app on cell phone and casting the stream to our Chromecast device.
So, my question is - What kind of "box" can I get that will allow recording of the stream for play back later. I would like a box that would turn itself on and off. The more DVR type functionality, the better. Does such a box exist?

Thanks.
post #649 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

My first thought is that you should consider an HTPC. Standalone streaming boxes generally can't record, and I bet they copy-protect their HDMI outputs with HDCP, because many streaming providers don't want to allow recording. But PCs give you other options. The HTPC forum is here: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-hom...ter-computers/

That said, I can imagine doing this with an Android box, replacing the Android OS with OpenELEC. But that's not (yet) my primary interest area, so I'm not sure where you'd find discussion of that on AVSForum. Perhaps in one of the "Gaming & Content Streaming" forums?
post #650 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Why do you need to record streaming content at all? Isn't it already on demand? No such recording device exists, as the whole point of streaming sites is to watch them in real time.
post #651 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes the Philips/Magnavox DVDRs dating back to '07 made by Funai were/are SD only recording. The Philips DVR of a couple years ago, which is now discontinued, is HD and actually made by Philips not Funai.
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
Source??
Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage
This is what I remember about who actually made the Philips DVR, read the last quote in my link.
post #652 of 667 Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Philips HDR5710/5750 DVRs, Antenna/Cable, Streaming, Int/Ext HDDs, 33TB Storage
This is what I remember about who actually made the Philips DVR, read the last quote in my link.
"P&F" is a Philips/Funai entity that produces and markets Philips-branded products produced by Funai.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | *MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*If you're logged in, links will only work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #653 of 667 Old 08-03-2015, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Why do you need to record streaming content at all? Isn't it already on demand? No such recording device exists, as the whole point of streaming sites is to watch them in real time.
There is content, say on TCM, that is being "broadcast" at an inconvenient time. I would like to record the stream and watch it at a later time. Also, over the years, record sporting events and start watching an hour or so after start time. By the time I FF thru commercials, half time etc. I am usually caught up by the end of the game. Of course now the Daily Show is going off this week, that's one less to record - altho I think CC has been putting full streams of its shows on its web site the last few months.
TCM probably copy protects its content - so maybe that couldn't be recorded anyway. Same w. AMC?
I just want to e able to record programs, like on PBS, for time shifting. Except for most commercial networks, "On Demand" isn't available.
post #654 of 667 Old 08-03-2015, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Most streaming sites have Terms of Service that forbid recording their content, and use technologies (like Adobe Flash) that are "resistant" to being recorded.

There are a few streaming sites that don't mind, but because the vast majority do, you won't find a standalone box that will do what you want.

For networks like TCM, AMC, and CC, I'd recommend an on-demand streaming service like Hulu. You'll have to watch the commercials (or pay to upgrade to Hulu Plus) but you can watch what you want when you want. You won't have to watch when it's being broadcast.

Live sports is the "toughie" for cord-cutters. You have two choices:

• Subscribe to a service like Sling TV, and put up with the commercials;
  • Put up an antenna for free, HD over-the-air broadcasts and use an OTA DVR like those described in this thread.

You could, of course, do both, depending on how much sports you watch.
post #655 of 667 Old 08-03-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Even though snidely initially used the word "streaming" it sounds more like to me after reading post 653 that he just wants to record channels like TCM and AMC.
Since those channels are more than likely scrambled he'd need something like a Tivo w/CC or a HTPC with a CC.
As has been mentioned recoding "streaming" is much harder and would require a PC and something to initiate and play the stream. Everything would have to be recorded realtime as it streamed and no way to really record unattended, you have to be around at least for the beginning of the recording.
post #656 of 667 Old 08-03-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

I just reread snidely's 1st post again. He mentioned cutting the cord at his 2nd home. That means he still has cable at his 1st home, right?

So, what about something like a SlingBox to control & watch the Comcast DVR (or a Tivo, for that matter) that's at his 1st home from his 2nd home? Would that do it?
post #657 of 667 Old 08-03-2015, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1189 Post(s)
Liked: 736
Quote:
Even though snidely initially used the word "streaming" it sounds more like to me after reading post 653 that he just wants to record channels like TCM and AMC.
Since those channels are more than likely scrambled he'd need something like a Tivo w/CC or a HTPC with a CC.
I got the impression that he wanted to do something like subscribe to SlingTV and be able to DVR the real-time Internet streams instead of having to watch them when they are scheduled to stream.

That's something you can't do and is an Achilles heel of these Internet streaming options. Content providers & advertisers don't like DVR's and Internet streaming gives them the control to banish those evil devices -- yet the lemmings still march to the cliff.
JoeKustra likes this.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Last edited by Kelson; 08-03-2015 at 01:07 PM.
post #658 of 667 Old 08-04-2015, 05:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post
I got the impression that he wanted to do something like subscribe to SlingTV and be able to DVR the real-time Internet streams instead of having to watch them when they are scheduled to stream.

That's something you can't do and is an Achilles heel of these Internet streaming options. Content providers & advertisers don't like DVR's and Internet streaming gives them the control to banish those evil devices -- yet the lemmings still march to the cliff.
Thanks for all the above responses. We do get a full package of Comcast offerings at location "A". Because of that, we are entitled to make use of streaming many of CC' offerings anywhere. (XfinityGo, hboGo etc.) We were paying CC for two "contracts" evn tho we can only the in one location at a time. Bugged me to pay for services at location "B" while at the same time paying for services at "A".
I didn't think about a Sling Box. I'll need to think about that. The main problem, as I recall, is that Comcast internet limits it upload speeds to 5Mbps. That's not enough for quality video.
(We have CC internet a location "A" where we have full CC TV - via the HOA. We have an independent IP service in the unit we have at location "B" which gives us 250+Mbps service UP and Down.)
post #659 of 667 Old 08-04-2015, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snidely View Post
I didn't think about a Sling Box. I'll need to think about that. The main problem, as I recall, is that Comcast Internet limits its upload speeds to 5Mbps. That's not enough for quality video.
Ouch! Agreed, at least if you're stuck with MPEG-2 encoding. If a SlingBox can transcode to h.264, it may be just (barely) enough.
post #660 of 667 Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

I recently upgraded my cable box to an HD version and was surprised to find that the RNG110 had an optical audio/component video out.

Anyone have any experience with if that output is recordable and/or suggest a DVR that can handle that input?
I'm worried there might be some sort of VBI copy protection on that line.

The first post indicates the Hauppauge 1212 is the only known device with component in, but it needs to output to a PC, which is a deal breaker. Anything else capable of doing this?

Edit: Found this: AVerMedia HD EzRecorder Plus. It would actually seem to fit criteria for this thread. The only down side is that the price is steep and it still lacks a HDD. http://avertv.avermedia.com/avertv/P...il.aspx?Id=572

--
(this space for rent)

Last edited by DoctorM; Yesterday at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page