2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 23 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #661 of 667 Unread Yesterday, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Not that this reference thread is the correct one to continue this conversation but you might want to look into this device, it looks to have component inputs although the word is still out as to whether the recordings are playable on a standard PC.
HD Video Recorder w/HDMI input + HDCP Stripper
I've also seen similar devices on Amazon but the one I remember, for sure didn't allow PC playback of the recordings, they had to be played back on the device that recorded it.
I also remember a similar device where the OP procured his from Hong Kong but again I think the recordings were encrypted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 667 Unread Yesterday, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Not that this reference thread is the correct one to continue this conversation but you might want to look into this device, it looks to have component inputs although the word is still out as to whether the recordings are playable on a standard PC.
HD Video Recorder w/HDMI input + HDCP Stripper
I've also seen similar devices on Amazon but the one I remember, for sure didn't allow PC playback of the recordings, they had to be played back on the device that recorded it.
I also remember a similar device where the OP procured his from Hong Kong but again I think the recordings were encrypted.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

--
(this space for rent)
post #663 of 667 Unread Today, 11:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie to Cord Cutting

I am working on cutting the cable but need to understand some things. My wife wants a DVR to record local over the air programs. I started looking at the various DVRs and was shocked with prices. I don't want to go back to a subscription service like Tivo. I was considering the Channel Master DVR plus and biting the bullet but now read about boxes like HomeWorx HW180STB. Do they both do the same thing especially with the big price difference? I may need some of the features of the Homeworx since I have a monster antenna in the attic but I am sure it is only analog and would need to convert it. But the main reason I am looking is to find a programmable box to schedule recording programs for the wife to replace the DVR we had with cable. Please educate me or tell me where to go. Thanks in advance
post #664 of 667 Unread Today, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 144
The cheap boxes like Homeworx and iView do record HD and play it back in the same quality but they have some major caveats. For one thing they can be "quirky" meaning that they don't always record what you have programmed and can act up in various other ways. Another big negative is you can't be recording one show while playing back a previously recorded show(though you can chaseplay the show you are currently recording). So you can't be watching what you recorded yesterday while recording something new at the same time. These boxes do have there place but there more for the ultra cheap or someone who can put up with their quirks, they also only have a PSIP guide meaning all you can really expect is a 12hr guide, although some stations go up to a couple of days. You can always program it like a VCR with start and stop times but again it doesn't always record what you've programmed.
A better alternative is the CM+(dual tuner) or even better at it's current price a 4 tuner Tivo OTA with no fees. For $300(not much more than the CM+, especially if you consider adding a USB HDD to the CM+) you get a top of the line DVR with a 2 week guide, no further fees and 4 tuners. Note with a Tivo you really need a internet connection, I suppose you might need that with the CM+ also but unlike the Tivo the CM+ can also work off PSIP(again with only 12+ hours of guide listings).
There are also other HD DVRs but really currently the CM+ and Tivo are your best options. If interested in the Tivo I'd suggest you act as soon as possible, it's possible it will jump back to it's normal $400+ price at any time, the $300 is just a very good sale going on now.
post #665 of 667 Unread Today, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 510 Post(s)
Liked: 330
I don't have the HW180STB but I do have the very similar HW150PVR and the Channel Master DVR+. I can tell you that both of these boxes do what they're designed to do reasonably well.

The Homeworx, iView, etc. are very simple recorders intended more or less as "digital VCRs." The DVR+ is a bit more elaborate. The differences should be in the chart at post four, but here are the big ones IMO:

• The HW has only one tuner, so it can only record one show at a time. The DVR+ has two tuners and can record two shows at once.
  • The HW uses the program guide broadcast by the TV stations themselves, which is generally pretty short (like 12 hours). The DVR+ can use the station-provided guides in a pinch, but also has a 14-day program guide provided via Internet by Rovi. (I suspect this accounts for much of the difference in price.)
  • The DVR+ can also use its Internet connection to provide access to a few streaming services (VuDu, Pandora, YouTube, and a few streaming TV channels that Channel Master provides for free).
  • The HW records programs by day-of-week and time-of-day only; generally called "VCR style" or "time-based" recording. The DVR+ can do this, but also can record programs by their name (called "name-based" recording). It can also skip reruns (if they're properly flagged in the Rovi-provided guide).
  • Both products have bugs, but IMO the DVR+ is more "polished" and has fewer obvious issues, as you'd expect from a more expensive product.
  • The HW is the better choice for exchanging files with a Windows PC; this ranges from difficult to impossible with the more expensive DVR+.
post #666 of 667 Unread Today, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Newbie to cord cutting

Thanks for the prompt responses. I tried to find the 4 tuner Tivo OTA but could not locate it. I see the write-up on CNET but when I went Tivo's site, it is not listed. Any suggestions where I can purchase. I am thinking that may be the way to go. Bite the bullet and purchase the better box.
post #667 of 667 Unread Today, 01:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by probe47 View Post
Thanks for the prompt responses. I tried to find the 4 tuner Tivo OTA but could not locate it. I see the write-up on CNET but when I went Tivo's site, it is not listed. Any suggestions where I can purchase. I am thinking that may be the way to go. Bite the bullet and purchase the better box.
https://www.tivo.com/shop/promo/supersavings

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page