AVS Forum banner

2014 list of consumer available DVR's with 2016 updates

138K views 727 replies 90 participants last post by  JHBrandt 
#1 · (Edited)
With well over 700 individual boxes to fill in in the table, it's close to impossible not to have some errors. To those select individuals that claim the information is wrong and especially to spineless one that posted "if your intent is to help people because you are not doing it". You are surely free to explain in detail the correction needed.

Apparently some refuse to look at both sides of the coin and only see the pluses, ignoring the negatives. I look at the whole picture.

The requirements to be listed here are;

1. Available for purchase (new or used) in the US,
2. A stand alone, combined ATSC and/or QAM HD tuner(s) with an internal HDD and or provision for one or,
3. One that has at least one USB and/or eSATA port(s) for an external HDD,
4. Connects to a television directly (HDMI and/or component and/or composite) with no other interface needed,
5. Does not gets it's programming exclusively from the Internet (streaming),
6. Doesn't depend on a PC to record or store the material,
7. HD capable recording (of course).

I didn't include this;
Goldstar (LG) LST-3410A due to age, even though it is still functional. You may be able to find one if you look long enough. The owners thread is here for reference;
http://www.avsforum.com/t/337424/lg-lst-3410a-review-and-discussion

Since this is a forum for DVR's not computers or just streaming devices, these units weren't included;
AVerTV Hybrid TVBox 11,
Ceton InfiniTV
Hauppauge USB Tuner
SiliconDust HDHomeRun
simple.TV
Tablo TV
If you are interested in those, try here;
http://www.avsforum.com/f/26/home-theater-computers

See post #6 for a current list of DVR's, courtesy of member wajo!

See less See more
#604 ·
As I mentioned on the HW thread, it looks like the HW150 and HW180 are very similar. Biggest difference is, the 180 lacks a few of the 150's lesser-used outputs.

Now that Mediasonic has finally added recording to the 180, I bet their functionality is similar too. It probably doesn't need its own column; just a mention in the heading.

#606 ·
Newbie to this area - Does the following box exist?

Like many others these days while not cutting "The Cord" completely, have cut way back. Watch a lot of our TV by streaming.

We watch TCM, HBOGo, watchESPN, XfinityGo and some news channels via streaming. (Comcast is included in the HOA amenities at our 2nd home - thus we can access Comcast based streams at our lst home.)

What I do now is log on to whatever stream I want and "cast" it- via Chromecast - to the wall hung plasma. I can do this via PC, tablet, or Samsung S4 phone.

What I want to be able to do is find a box (if such an animal exists) that would - maybe would have to be in conjunction with
a PC - the following:
1. Act like a DVR and allow me to program future recordings. Ideally, could be done using a remote.
2. Even if there only minimal storage, allow for a plug in flash drive or hard drive.

We have superfast internet - 250Mbps UP and Dwn.

There is a software program that seems to be able to record any video that plays on your computer. Just more involved than I want to be to set up a recording. I've been spoiled by ease of setting up a recording by Comcast's DVRs. We watch almost everything later, often several days. Sports I start watching an hour after it starts and FF thru commercials, 1/2 times etc.

#608 ·
Mainly - It would be useful for sports. I like to start watching 1-3 hours later so I can watch a 3 hours sport event in almost half the time.
After reading your post, did discover that network shows ARE available on demand via XfinityGo. We still have the lowest end tier with Comcast and still pay the $16/mo. for a DVR so have been watching network shows that way. IF you watch network shows via streaming, you ar stuck watching commercials. The advantage of a DVR (any recorder) is you can record then FF thru commercials.)
What I will miss, if/when we get rid of Comcast altogether is a local sports station. The local sports stations are not on XfinityGo. Comcast, itself, owns many of those. Maybe I should ween myself from sports (college football and MLB) You can subscribe to the entire MLB package for $20/mo. for the 6 mo. season - more than what Comcast charges to add the sports tier. (Of course the low Comcast sports tier just gives you your local teams and ESPN). ESPN is available via streaming - which I'd like to record.

I think streaming is the wave of the future. HBO is going to make itself available for subscription online - w.o. being tied to a cable company - like now.

Comcast offers 100s of channels. I don't want to pay for 80 channels just to get access to the 10 or 15 we ever watch. They would keep our business if they offered an a la carte menu.

End of rant.

#613 · (Edited)
Also, should this thread be renamed the 2015 list?
I think you can see the first posts have not been updated in quite some time.
There is more than one very good reason for that which I choose not to go into.

Reactions: phildaant
#615 ·
I don't think we're likely to see a "streaming DVR" anytime soon. As was mentioned, streaming content providers want to force you to watch the commercials (or else to pay them not to have to), so they won't license their content to any such box. Best bet for going that route will always be a PC.

But it sounds like what snidely needs is just a good DVR for network shows that can be programmed remotely. TiVo can do that, as can a PC with WMC and Remote Potato.

Since snidely has two homes, another possibility to consider - especially if he wants to cut the cord completely at some point - would be to combine a decent OTA (antenna) DVR, such as CM's DVR+, with something like a Slingbox so he could not only control it remotely but also watch the recordings remotely too.

#616 ·
Many of us would be willing to pay "something" for each program we DL. Eg. We are Daily Show fanatics. It is available for free fro their web site!! I would pay 20¢/episode or $3/mo w.o. ads. I'd still like to have a device that automatically records it or lets me immediately use a remote to tune in, pause, backup, FF etc.

#621 ·
Your points have nothing to do with my post.
Why are you ranting at me?
Aleron;
It's no "rant", it's all facts, I was comment in general on the subject of "streaming" using your statement as example.
I don't like streaming services, either.
We are on the same page here.

#624 ·
I believe you'll find a thread somewhere in this forum talking about that recorder, the one big caveat is it's tuner is DVB, IOW won't work in the US :(
It's also a bit trick to get one to the US, another forum member had someone in HK ship his. Amazon US does sell a HDMI recorder but no tuner what so ever.

#625 ·
The term "rant" shouldn't be read negatively these days.
Sorry I didn't understand your meaning, the term presents itself as harsh according to a few dictionary definitions I searched for.

#627 ·
Traditionally, "rant" has meant an angry and often incoherent diatribe, which is certainly negative. But in recent years I've also heard it used more neutrally to refer to any moderately detailed explanation of one's opinion on some matter, whether or not it's angrily worded or well-argued.

Aleron may have meant it in the negative sense, but I didn't want to assume that's how he meant it. That's really all I meant to say.

#629 ·
Re: the updated HW-180, a few folks on the HW-150 thread have tried it. It's basically same as the HW-150 with a different remote, minus the HW-150's component and digital audio outputs, for about $5 less. (Mediasonic should rename the HW-150 thread to include both models.) It's also virtually identical to the eMatic sold by Walmart.com.

#630 ·
Help - "VCR" type recorder needed

Okay, if I'm in the wrong forum, feel free to redirect me. I have cut the cord, but have a question. I have two HD TVs and two Rokus (subscribe to Netflix and Sling TV for most of the year). I am lucky and can pick up a decent # of OTA local & PBS stations with $10 indoor antennas. Occasionally, there are two OTA network shows on at the same time that I wish to watch. Since my circa 1990's VCR no longer works, what is the least expensive way to be able to record one show on just one TV. I don't need to be able to skip commercials or anything like that. It would be nice to be able to set ahead of time (i.e. set to record every Thur @ 10pm on channel 9.1) I don't wish to pay a monthly fee since I will only use this 15 - 20 times a year for an hour or so each time. Most of the DVRs I've looked into seem to be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for any help!

#633 ·
Okay, if I'm in the wrong forum, feel free to redirect me. I have cut the cord, but have a question. I have two HD TVs and two Rokus (subscribe to Netflix and Sling TV for most of the year). I am lucky and can pick up a decent # of OTA local & PBS stations with $10 indoor antennas. Occasionally, there are two OTA network shows on at the same time that I wish to watch. Since my circa 1990's VCR no longer works, what is the least expensive way to be able to record one show on just one TV. I don't need to be able to skip commercials or anything like that. It would be nice to be able to set ahead of time (i.e. set to record every Thur @ 10pm on channel 9.1) I don't wish to pay a monthly fee since I will only use this 15 - 20 times a year for an hour or so each time. Most of the DVRs I've looked into seem to be overkill for my needs.

Thanks for any help!
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum as well:
We are slowly cutting the cord - at least in our 2nd home. Our main home comes with most Comcast channels available via the HOA, incl HBO. Because of that, can watch HBO Go, Xfinity TV GO (which is rather poor quality) and other streaming services.
So, is there a "box" out there that can record streams. We are spoiled by using Comcast DVRs over the years. Time shifting, FF thru commercials are the main items. We can stream the Daily Show via Com Central (don't know about after Jon leaves).

We make use of the Chromecast to cast the picture on our plasma.

#632 ·
+1
And while they do allow you to setup reoccurring events I don't really do that anymore, instead I program them as a one shot event. I had too many "issues" with missed events using reoccurring events.
Both the iView and Homeworx(and many other brands that are basically the same thing) start ~$40 at Amazon + USB HDD and are basically a digital VCR.

#634 ·
If you don't need HD, I strongly recommend the Funai/Magnavox SD DVRs. I don't know if they still make them or what model they're up to, but for someone first time off of a VCR, you'll find it more in line with what you're use to.

Last I saw they sold for about the same price as the last VCR I bought (15 years ago).

DVD quality picture, digital tuner, watch one show and record another, no program guide or subscription fees. Just set the timer like a VCR.

I feed an antenna in for HDTV broadcasts and also wired a cable box in on RCA cables for non-OTA channels.

#637 ·
IIRC the "old" HW-180 cannot record shows, so get the "new" one. The "new" HW-180 is similar to the slightly pricier HW-150 except for lacking the seldom-used component video and coaxial digital audio outputs. (If, perchance, you need either of those outputs, get the HW-150 instead.)

The "old" HW-180 has a USB port, but its firmware only allows for playing digital media (music, photos, videos) downloaded or recorded by another device, such as a PC.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.