2014 list of consumer available DVR's - Page 24 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 93Likes

post #691 of 695 Old 01-31-2016, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Wow - that's quite an opus, @wajo ; thanks!

Ideally, the chart could (should?) be a Wiki. That way everyone could contribute their own knowledge rather than one or two folks having to consolidate all the needed info & make all additions/corrections on his/her own. But I don't think this forum's software would support such a thing, so we have to make do with dedicated volunteers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 695 Old 01-31-2016, 02:20 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Post preserved but tables no longer working. Trying to figure out why.

People have been asking for Wikis for a long time now, but to no avail.

However, my new chart should be "fairly" easy to work with for anyone with some expertise in Excel.

Just copy the entire page, with text above and below the chart (or just the table alone), paste that into Notepad or other plain-text app to strip the page's background and other non-table formatting, then paste that text file into Excel. Work on it as needed, then copy and paste back, directly from Excel, into a post Reply (or the original post for Videobruce).

Some care is required to keep the spacing and table format intact, but you can change text and add/delete table rows/columns and do other normal ops in Excel. Adding or deleting individual cells could be "tricky."

You also can't see the finished and "sized" table, with lines, until you Submit. In Edit mode, you see no internal lines or size effects caused by the browser you use. After Submit, my Chrome browser shows a nicely compact table with diff. text size in alternating rows, while Firefox shows a much wider table with text all the same size. IE pays no attention to a global font size tag and, after Submit, shows a grossly widened table. These are among the reasons for my "fairly easy" comment.

Once the table is finalized, it would be a good idea to give readers a recommended ZOOM setting for display by each browser.
ClearToLand likes this.

Last edited by wajo; Yesterday at 03:13 AM.
post #693 of 695 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Previous tables stopped working with Excel.

I created two new tables that currently work with Word:
Table 2 - Discontinued Models Removed
Table 3 - Discontinued Models

As shown in this post on previous page.
post #694 of 695 Old Yesterday, 05:12 PM
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Previous tables stopped working with Excel.

I created two new tables that currently work with Word:
Table 2 - Discontinued Models Removed
Table 3 - Discontinued Models

As shown in this post and instructions on previous page.

You can copy the Word table into Excel and work on it there, if preferred, then try pasting the Excel table into a post? The Excel table can also be pasted back into Word if necessary... not sure what caused the previous three Excel tables from working reliably through multiple changes here... they developed strange "artifacts" that caused them to stop working here.
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by wajo; Today at 07:25 AM.
post #695 of 695 Old Today, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Excellent. Breaking it into two tables makes it a lot easier to read. Each one fits, even on a smaller (1440x900) monitor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders