Tired of satelite..... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to "cut the cable" so to speak. I'm spending a ton for Dish and I'm looking at what my options are.
If I just keep my DSL and get an antenna to pick up my locals, what DVR is the best for the money?
Also looking at Roku as well.

Any and all suggestion welcome PLEASE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
How well OTA TV will serve your needs depends on where you live and which programs you watch. You won't have access to cable-exclusive programs anymore, unless they happen to be available on the network's website (which seems to be becoming more common). It would help for us to know your location, since we can't tell how many channels you'll receive without knowing which market you're in.

As for a DVR, keep in mind that most OTA DVRs don't work the same way as cable ones do. They don't make name-based recordings and find your programs for you: you either click on the guide to set a timer to record that timeslot, or you set up a manual timer, the way you would with a VCR. You'll record whatever is broadcast during that timeslot, so if your program gets moved at the last minute, you'll miss it. OTA guide data is also determined on a station-by-station basis, so how much program information you see and how complete it is will vary by network. The main DVR options still available are:

CM 7000
CM 7400
TViX 6620
PHD-VRX
TiVo

Of these, only the CM 7400 and TiVo support paid guides that will let you continue to do name-based recording, but current TiVos no longer have OTA tuners, so you can't use the latest model with an antenna.

The other models have their own quirks and bugs, some worse than others. It would help us to make recommendations if we knew some of your priorities.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 04:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

How well OTA TV will serve your needs depends on where you live and which programs you watch. You won't have access to cable-exclusive programs anymore, unless they happen to be available on the network's website (which seems to be becoming more common). It would help for us to know your location, since we can't tell how many channels you'll receive without knowing which market you're in.

As for a DVR, keep in mind that most OTA DVRs don't work the same way as cable ones do. They don't make name-based recordings and find your programs for you: you either click on the guide to set a timer to record that timeslot, or you set up a manual timer, the way you would with a VCR. You'll record whatever is broadcast during that timeslot, so if your program gets moved at the last minute, you'll miss it. OTA guide data is also determined on a station-by-station basis, so how much program information you see and how complete it is will vary by network. The main DVR options still available are:

CM 7000
CM 7400
TViX 6620
PHD-VRX
TiVo

Of these, only the CM 7400 and TiVo support paid guides that will let you continue to do name-based recording, but current TiVos no longer have OTA tuners, so you can't use the latest model with an antenna.

The other models have their own quirks and bugs, some worse than others. It would help us to make recommendations if we knew some of your priorities.

Actually, the Tivo Premiere does have OTA tuners. I cut the cord over a year ago and couldn't be happier. The others just had too many bugs and were expensive right out of the box. I bought two and went with the monthly fee for the guide because I couldn't afford the lifetime cost. I also have Netflix and Amazon Prime. And also Playon. I have a PS3 that gets all the above plus Crackle. I purchased Playon several years ago when it was real cheap. You might want to get it a try.

Lake Worth, FL

If it won't fit force it.
If it breaks it needed replacing, anyway.
post #4 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 188

Best bet is TiVo with Lifetime (if you decide to punt its resell value is very high). The cheapest (in many cases) and perhaps the best might be WMC. The link in my signature will give you further details.

| 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozonedan View Post

Actually, the Tivo Premiere does have OTA tuners.

If I'm not mistaken, the latest Premiere Elite models only work with pay TV. Only the original Premiere and Premiere XLs can do OTA. The TC just needs to be careful which model he purchases if he goes the TiVo route.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

If I'm not mistaken, the latest Premiere Elite models only work with pay TV. Only the original Premiere and Premiere XLs can do OTA. The TC just needs to be careful which model he purchases if he goes the TiVo route.
The current models are the:
Premier (2 x tuners - OTA and/or Cable)
Premier 4 (4 x tuners - Cable only)
Premier 4XL (4 x tuners + 1 TB HDD - Cable only)

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #7 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

The current models are the:
Premier (2xOTA + 2xCable)
Premier 4 (4xCable)
Premier 4XL (4xCable + 1TB HDD)
Just to clarify, the basic Premier only has 2 tuners which can do either OTA(ATSC) or Cable(QAM) not sure but I'd think they may also do analog......
post #8 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Just to clarify, the basic Premier only has 2 tuners which can do either OTA(ATSC) or Cable(QAM) not sure but I'd think they may also do analog......

Adding to the clarification, the Premiere XL is still readily available brand new even though TiVo ended production of it. It's same as Premiere but with larger HDD (1TB) and fancier remote.

The OP could also consider a used TiVo series 3 with lifetime. Seems there is a never-ending supply of them on eBay in the $350 range.
post #9 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Thanks, I realize my post was unclear. I edited it to make it more specific.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page