TiVo Mini -- Launches March 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I just finished the online dealer meeting For the TiVo Mini. I was told I could repeat all the info I learned, so here goes.

TiVo Mini Launch: March 6, 2013 (yes this year!)

Pricing: $99.99 Monthly: $5.99 or Lifetime: $149.99

Dimensions: 6.12" w 1.25" h

Tuners & Streaming:

Each Premiere 4-tuner model will currently support 2 Mini's. You can have more than one DVR on the system to increase your Mini allotment, and each Mini can access content from any DVR on the network. However, the Mini's are always paired to the same DVR for live tuner access.

2nd Quarter 2013: Dynamic Tuner Allocation. You'll be able to pair up to 9 Mini's to a single DVR. Each DVR will support up to 4 Mini streams simultaneously.

Miscellaneous:

There will be a Moca bridge available at launch. Looks pretty easy to hook up.

The Mini has mounting holes on the back for wall mounting. If the Mini is mounted behind a TV, there will be an IR extender available that connects to the Mini's USB port.

That's all I have right now. We'll find out more next week at launch.
slowbiscuit likes this.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Thanks for the info Dawn! Price is a little higher than I would like, sub $200 is where I'll think about getting one. Never going to pay monthly on these.
post #3 of 24 Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post

Thanks for the info Dawn! Price is a little higher than I would like, sub $200 is where I'll think about getting one. Never going to pay monthly on these.
How much were the Moxi-mates going for.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #4 of 24 Old 03-03-2013, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am disappointed they are charging a subscription fee no matter how small it is. Tivo has gone too far with the monthly fee on additional boxes. I like my Tivo equipment and was interested in the mini. I was prepared to install 4 xl4 units but not at $14.95 per unit per month. To accomplish my goal at a reasonable monthly cost I may finally be leaving Tivo after 13 years. Tivo are you listening ? You may be closer to finally getting the equipment correct but out of line on the pricing.
post #5 of 24 Old 03-04-2013, 02:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Lifetime can make more sense than paying a monthly fee indefinitely depending on the situation. I typically sell my lifetime TiVos to cover most of the cost of new TiVos with Lifetime service. A TiVo with only monthly service is not worth very much, while a TiVo with lifetime service has a high resale value.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #6 of 24 Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbalk View Post

I am disappointed they are charging a subscription fee no matter how small it is. Tivo has gone too far with the monthly fee on additional boxes. I like my Tivo equipment and was interested in the mini. I was prepared to install 4 xl4 units but not at $14.95 per unit per month. To accomplish my goal at a reasonable monthly cost I may finally be leaving Tivo after 13 years. Tivo are you listening ? You may be closer to finally getting the equipment correct but out of line on the pricing.

$249 is too much for an additional TV outlet? I feel this price is just about perfect for what you get. I'm in for 2! I've been waiting for Tivo to get this out forever!
post #7 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

It's at least $50 too high for me given what's in the box, but Tivo is appeasing their MSO partners by not making additional outlets too cheap.

Lifetime is a no-brainer for these boxes btw, it will easily pay for itself.
post #8 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

I just finished the online dealer meeting For the TiVo Mini. I was told I could repeat all the info I learned, so here goes.

Pricing: $99.99 Monthly: $5.99 or Lifetime: $149.99

Dimensions: 6.12" w 1.25" h

Tuners & Streaming:

Each Premiere 4-tuner model will currently support 2 Mini's. You can have more than one DVR on the system to increase your Mini allotment, and each Mini can access content from any DVR on the network. However, the Mini's are always paired to the same DVR for live tuner access.

2nd Quarter 2013: Dynamic Tuner Allocation. You'll be able to pair up to 9 Mini's to a single DVR. Each DVR will support up to 4 Mini streams simultaneously.

Miscellaneous:

There will be a Moca bridge available at launch. Looks pretty easy to hook up.

The Mini has mounting holes on the back for wall mounting. If the Mini is mounted behind a TV, there will be an IR extender available that connects to the Mini's USB port.

That's all I have right now. We'll find out more next week at launch.

TiVo may still be thinking about pricing. Their test page is now offline.

Am I completely missing the concept or is the TiVo Mini a way of generating extra revenue for TiVo instead of users having to pay cable co.'s monthly Additional Outlet fees?
post #9 of 24 Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post

Am I completely missing the concept or is the TiVo Mini a way of generating extra revenue for TiVo instead of users having to pay cable co.'s monthly Additional Outlet fees?
I would say a bit of both. It's the same concept as buying a Ceton Echo or X-Box as a WMC extender -- one full-functioned base unit and a bunch of satellites. As far as cost, the $250 for the mini does not compare favorably to the cost of the Echo or a minimalist X-Box -- I agree it is $50 too high. I also think TiVo is making a huge, huge mistake to even offer some sort of lame subscription model for the mini. No one in their right mind will pay a subscription for this -- all it does is give new fuel to the haters who will conveniently (and consistently) ignore the flat purchase price and refer to having to pay monthly, forever, like they do now for the TiVo.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #10 of 24 Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Gordon View Post

Are you sure about that?
post #11 of 24 Old 03-06-2013, 09:42 AM

The varied opinions are interesting. I always did lifetime in the past but the shortened product life cycle does not make lifetime worth it. I don't have an issue with the cost of the hardware cost of first subscription, lifetime or monthly. It is when you have multiple boxes. To the person that thinks lifetime on older boxes has value I have two older tiros one series 3 with lifetime and an Xl. The 3 is not compatible with the app and the Xl won't work with the new TiVo mini. That makes them have either no or little value. I am told lifetime has more value now because these boxes should be around longer ,technology moves to fast for that to be true. TiVo needs a fair lifetime replacement deal they would only let me move one of my 3 series to a plain Xl because they have an abundance of inventory.
post #12 of 24 Old 03-06-2013, 03:26 PM

If you rotate your TiVos often enough....stay sort of bleeding edge lifetime is worth it. I am in the process of replacing a couple of Premiere XLs with Premiere XL4s. I sold my 4x Series 3 HDs with lifetime when you could still get $450 for them. Made buying a Premiere with lifetime a bit easier to swallow. I figure I upgrade my TiVos every couple of years and I spend about $150/box to upgrade.

Back to the topic at hand......I am a sad panda that I don't see a TiVo Mini up yet. I am really ready to get rid of the MoCA and tuning adapter in my bedroom and have a unit that can be mounted behind the TV....but not as much as the wife is! Once that is in, I will get rid of one more TiVo Premiere XL and the project will pay for itself.

Before:
3x Premiere XL
1x Premiere (upgraded to XL)

After:
1x Premiere XL4
1x Premiere XL
1x TiVo Mini

Selling the upgraded Premiere and 2 XLs will more than pay for this project. I am sure a few other people are doing (or at least planning) the same thing I am. I hesitate to say "no one needs 8TB of recording and 8 tuners.....but there is a lot of good stuff on TV. smile.gif
post #13 of 24 Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyd View Post

Are you sure about that?

That's what they told us. I guess they decided to postpone it at the last minute.

I see that they have more dealer trainings set up, so maybe they just want to give it a bit more time. Should be this month though.

Authorized Dealer Sales: Triad Speakers, NHT, Marantz, Denon, JVC, Stewart Filmscreen, Screen innovations, Panamorph and Control4.
post #14 of 24 Old 03-09-2013, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

New thread up at TCF with a Mini unboxing, purchased from Best Buy (looks like they jumped the gun). New retail release will supposedly be 3/12 now.
post #15 of 24 Old 03-10-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, and a search on a certain well known online auction site for TiVo Mini Unreleased Unannounced brings up an interesting listing!
post #16 of 24 Old 03-11-2013, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

It's Official!

"Mini service plan options

TiVo® service is the magic behind the TiVo Mini. At less than half the cost of a TiVo DVR service fee, the benefits of TiVo Mini service include:

Watch live TV or recorded entertainment (no additional CableCARD™ required)
Access web entertainment from Hulu Plus, Pandora®, YouTube™ and more*
On-screen guide updated daily with up to 2 weeks of scheduled programs
Exclusive software features like Suggestions, Collections and WishList® searches
TiVo software, feature and application updates (as available)

Monthly service
$5.99
1-year commitment; month-to-month thereafter.

Plan details:

TiVo Mini + 1-year monthly service plan

If you cancel the TiVo service before your 1-year commitment ends, an early termination fee will apply equal to $50 minus $4 per month for each month of your subscription commitment you fulfilled, except as permitted by the 30-day money back guarantee.

Product Lifetime service
$149.99
Pay once for the life of your TiVo Mini!
30-day money back guarantee

TiVo Mini requires a TiVo Premiere 4, Premiere XL4/Elite DVR.
Does not work with TiVo Premiere or Premiere XL

*Broadband internet connection via Ethernet or MoCA required."
post #17 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

... while a TiVo with lifetime service has a high resale value.

Hmm, I have not found that. I have tried to sell 2 on eBay and not got bids over $50 (despite my Series 1 having a brand new original Sony remote, which is a hard to find item).

--
Keith
post #18 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 09:02 AM

Does anyone know if the Mini will use the THX sound output from an XL4?

--
Keith
post #19 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post

Hmm, I have not found that. I have tried to sell 2 on eBay and not got bids over $50 (despite my Series 1 having a brand new original Sony remote, which is a hard to find item).

I have sold roughly a dozen over the years and in a lot of cases turned a buck or two. Obviously, you don't want to keep a model too long... and it helps if you upgrade the hard drive. It typically add more value than the cost of the drive itself.

post #20 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have sold roughly a dozen over the years and in a lot of cases turned a buck or two. Obviously, you don't want to keep a model too long... and it helps if you upgrade the hard drive. It typically add more value than the cost of the drive itself.
Yea, I know. However my Sony has run almost non-stop for 11 years. Down only when I upgraded the hard drive. I figure it's paid for itself!

--
Keith
post #21 of 24 Old 03-15-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglin View Post

I don't think there is much market for a Series 1 TiVo. Series 3 HD and Series 4 Premier with lifetime command $300 and up.

- kelson h

post #22 of 24 Old 03-16-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I don't think there is much market for a Series 1 TiVo. Series 3 HD and Series 4 Premier with lifetime command $300 and up.
You're right. Mine are Series 1 and 2. frown.gif

--
Keith
post #23 of 24 Old 03-16-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I would say a bit of both. It's the same concept as buying a Ceton Echo or X-Box as a WMC extender -- one full-functioned base unit and a bunch of satellites. As far as cost, the $250 for the mini does not compare favorably to the cost of the Echo or a minimalist X-Box -- I agree it is $50 too high. I also think TiVo is making a huge, huge mistake to even offer some sort of lame subscription model for the mini. No one in their right mind will pay a subscription for this -- all it does is give new fuel to the haters who will conveniently (and consistently) ignore the flat purchase price and refer to having to pay monthly, forever, like they do now for the TiVo.

Agreed. Basically you should think of this box as a $250 media center front end/extender. For that price, it is expensive but TiVo is a boutique product with a price premium.

There's no justification for a subscription, you have the subscription for the main box and all you're doing is accessing the same information you've already paid for. No load or probably even access to any external servers (except to check you've got a subscription). But that's the way TiVo's marketing plays, and, if people buy it, then it's working for them.

--
Keith
post #24 of 24 Old 03-17-2013, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, there's no cost basis for the fee it's just the way they want to make their money (to make sub numbers look good, most likely). Just look at $250 as the cost of the box and disregard how they want to market it.
Operon likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page