Entone Amulet 458 DVR: A CM7400 replacement from the actual manufacture with changes - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 83 Old 03-06-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I just went through Entone's website and reviewed all the info there. My take is that these DVRS were NOT meant to be sold to the public retail. That Entone has business partners that have signed on to buy and use Entone products to solve the needs of their clients. Most of these partners at first glance are technology businesses that provide a service to other businesses.

The bottom line is Entone does not appear to be offerring these for retail. If you but these retail don't expect any support at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 83 Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I think Entone is like Echostar: they manufacture the products but expect other business (like CM and Dish) to do the branding, sales, and support. That would explain why there's no option for a paid program guide with these.

Also, I think the guy selling these overestimated their value as badly as he underestimated the value of the DTVPal DVRs he's also selling. He's raised the price of the latter by $40 since he started. He's probably reluctant to lower the price of the Amulets since (I'm guessing) he'd be taking a loss on them, but I think he'll face facts eventually and settle for a lower price if he wants to unload them.

Edit: I just checked the feedback page on his website. Looks like he's been selling CM products for a couple of years, and now that CM isn't selling the Pals or the CM-7400s, he's turned to selling equivalent products with different branding. Most of his customers have been satisfied, but the few who got defective units were apparently SOL.

Edit 2: Still hasn't budged on the price frown.gif BTW he has one CM-7000Pal for sale (for $100 more than the identical Dish DTVPal confused.gif ) and some actual CM-7400's for $450.
videobruce likes this.
post #33 of 83 Old 03-13-2013, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Maybe they are going up in value. tongue.gif

FWIW, I sent another "message" via eBay;
Quote:
Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:02:21
Dear videobruce,
bruce, not sure about warranty. No mfg warranty apparently for end user. Nothing in the documentation. Our mfg warranty is supposed to be 90 days, from invoice so that allows us only about a window of 30 days to warranty from us to you. No repairs, like most electronics toss when bad, except for hard drive. 14 day return policy, but please read all specs carefully to be sure it is what you want, returns processed for defect only, not buyer remorse. We have not had a defect yet, so we have not experienced the rma process of the mfg concerning warranty . If you would like a longer warranty 3rd party, folks have told us in the past for cm7000 and dtvpal they have used squaretrade.com and were satisfied, so check that out. easy to get a quick quote. Usually better than mfg warranty anyway, which can be big hassle. I think its about 29.00 for 2 years. Steve
- antennalogic

Sent Date: Mar-07-13 14:15:22 PST
Dear antennalogic,
1. How long is the warranty, what does it or does it not cover?
2. How about repairs after that?
3. Where & who does the repairs?
4. What is the return policy?
Bruce
Now that is reassuring. rolleyes.gif
(I added bold to the selected text.)

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #34 of 83 Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like he got a 90-day warranty on these when he bought them, so your warranty runs out when his does (minus shipping time). Hurry and buy now; you may actually get 40 or 50 days rolleyes.gif
post #35 of 83 Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Entone unit coming in 2 days from Antennalogic. I am from MN so maybe that is why I feel more comfortable than some in ordering one with a short guarantee period. I will post my review shortly after receiving it. I got it for $369.00 when I paid by check not credit.
post #36 of 83 Old 05-01-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Welcome to the forum.

First thing, take the top off and take a few closeups of the interior, namely the fan placement. Also, assuming there is a system information (or similar) page, take a screen shot of that so we can compare this version with CM's.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #37 of 83 Old 05-07-2013, 11:37 AM

Did not get a chance to take cover off but here is the system info screen and a shot of the guide.
Just a couple of my thoughts so far.
1. Runs VERY cool in a cabinet. Cooler than my soon to be returned Dish receiver. (medium fan setting)
2. Remote seems like it has short range to receiver and must be pointed exactly at Entone.

Very satisfied at this point.
I am wondering about sending to 2nd tv through coax, if i can get a remote transmitter for using that still.

post #38 of 83 Old 05-07-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

If standard def is OK, sending the video to your 2nd TV should be easy. You just need an RF modulator (not sure if the Entone has a built-in one) set to an unused frequency, and a signal combiner. Obvious frequency choices are channel 3, 4, or the top of the UHF band (UHF channel 6x or cable channel 12x).

You can even do stereo sound, but RF modulators with true MTS stereo are expensive and hard to find. Many RF modulators have stereo inputs but just blend them into one audio channel.

There are also wireless transmitters that use the 2.5 MHz band (same band as WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.) that may be easier to set up than RF through coax. I haven't tried any of them myself so I can't vouch for their quality, but I've seen them advertised at places like Summit Source.

Remote HD is another thing entirely, though. There are QAM modulators on the market, but they're extremely expensive. Most "whole-house" DVRs accomplish this trick with Ethernet streaming and a technology like MoCA, but I don't think the Entone supports streaming, does it?
post #39 of 83 Old 05-07-2013, 01:04 PM

I've got a wireless video/audio sender I used from Dish receiver to my bedroom through a wall and it worked well enough. Entone lets you select channel 3 or 4 for RF. It does stream as far as VUDU goes so maybe more is a possibility. Sending remote signal, I meant the remote control signal so I could work receiver from another room. I have those RCA cones but they aren't working well, can't tell if it's the remote's range or my cones.

Thanks for your thoughts earlier.
post #40 of 83 Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I remember seeing those RCA remote control extender cones. Never tried using them though. The remote extender I use is the Next Generation model. One reviewer here didn't like it, but it works fine for me. It uses RF (there's a 418 MHz and a 433 MHz model) so you don't even need to aim the remote!

I remember now that the Entone receives streaming video from Vudu. Sending a digital video stream is another matter, though, and I don't think it's designed to do that. So for A/V, I'd probably stick with the sender I'd been using with the Dish receiver. If it ain't broke.... wink.gif
post #41 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 04:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

What's with this "Janis Media Hub" and this "FusionTV Program Guide"??
Would some you owners of the CM version post similar screen shots of the menus for comparison? Were these two screens the same or similar?

gnobes; Pop the cover and take a few good closeups of the interior. wink.gif

post #42 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 05:52 AM

I'll try to crack 'er open tonight.

I hooked up my Terk "signal senders" and my RCA cones to living room TV and watched a crystal clear show I recorded on Entone in basement. Will maybe get a second one but remembering what's on what DVR and deciding what I want to record where could be a hassle. BTW, I'm guessing cones work better now cause using them in same room (entone in cabinet) probably contained interference.

post #43 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 AM

Canceled Dish Monday night and got an email this morning. Had to post for fun. Sorry Dish, staying "free".

"We are willing to do almost anything to get you back.
>
> We belong together, and we want to prove our commitment to you. We have had a lot of great times and we want to continue to show you how much you mean to DISH.
>
> We will welcome you back with up to $495 in savings: $150 off your programming package ($15 off for 10 months), Showtime®, Cinemax® and Starz® FREE for 3 months and HD programming FREE for life. We have been through a lot together and you deserve it.
>
> There are a lot of benefits of being a DISH customer. You get things like month-long free previews; sweepstakes for trips, HDTVs and more; exclusive free shows; new channels; and tons of online content. And it is all included with your DISH service.
>
> We are committed to ensuring that we have a great relationship."
post #44 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear your remote extender cones are working better now.

HD free for life is almost worth signing back up. But I'd guess there's some fine print, like if you ever upgrade or downgrade your Dish package you have to start paying the HD fee again.

I have an old SD Dish receiver and one of Dish's old packages that didn't include the local channels. I've always gotten the locals via antenna. I'm satisfied with my current Dish package, but if I ever upgrade or downgrade, I'll have to switch to a new package and start paying them an extra $5/mo for the stations I already get for free. Dish is expensive enough as it is.
post #45 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

What's with this "Janis Media Hub" and this "FusionTV Program Guide"??
Would some you owners of the CM version post similar screen shots of the menus for comparison? Were these two screens the same or similar?

gnobes; Pop the cover and take a few good closeups of the interior. wink.gif
The CM7400 does not have this Fusion TV Guide. Without the paid guide, it just gets basic PSIP data rom the local broadcasters. Perhaps this Fusion guide is available on the Entone version via the internet. Which is nice if it is a good extended guide and available without a paid service. I just wish I knew if the tuner is better than the poor Channel Master version.
post #46 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

"FusionTV Program Guide"??

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

The CM7400 does not have this Fusion TV Guide. Without the paid guide, it just gets basic PSIP data rom the local broadcasters. Perhaps this Fusion guide is available on the Entone version via the internet. Which is nice if it is a good extended guide and available without a paid service. I just wish I knew if the tuner is better than the poor Channel Master version.

Speculation:

The station KSTC contains PSIP data shown in the picture. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSTC-TV

FusionTV is a channel or sub-channel. I have sent email to my cable feed to not carry it since it carries Glen Beck.

post #47 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeKustra View Post

Speculation:
The station KSTC contains PSIP data shown in the picture. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KSTC-TV

FusionTV is a channel or sub-channel. I have sent email to my cable feed to not carry it since it carries Glen Beck.
Well I guess that explains it. Just PSIP data like the Channel Master.
post #48 of 83 Old 05-08-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Well I guess that explains it. Just PSIP data like the Channel Master.

Hmmm. Perhaps I was in error:

http://www.entone.com/fusiontv

post #49 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We are willing to do almost anything to get you back. We belong together
Sounds as something I said to a old girlfriend a couple of decades ago. biggrin.gif
Getting desperate aren't they?

post #50 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

But, how about this?;
http://www.entone.com/fusiontv
Quote:
FusionTV® is a first-of-its-kind service that brings together the best of linear TV and web media services into a single, unified user experience. FusionTV was created by Entone based on the belief that consumers and service operators alike will benefit from a blended service offering that includes linear TV, digital video recording (DVR), and web media services. The Broadband TV Edition of FusionTV is bundled with broadband Internet as a value-added service aimed at increasing the scale and “stickiness” of an operator’s premium broadband Internet service
Looks as they have a interesting development. wink.gif

post #51 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
linear TV and stickiness

It all sounds great to me - Wait what the heck is it?

I really do not think I want a sticky HDTV - UGH

As far as linear goes; is this what they are talking about?

http://linear-tv.com/
post #52 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I e-mailed them, got an initial response. Will report on anything further;
Quote:
Bruce,
Thank you for your inquiry.
Are you looking at this for personal use or are you a service provider?
Regards,
Andrew Morton
Vice President, Broadband TV
entone
O: +1 778 279 0175
M: +1 949 351 4425
andrew.morton@entone.com
www.entone.com

post #53 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 AM

VideoBruce,
See attached pic. I did not want to risk breaking the plastic clips so i could really only tilt the cover for now.

TylerSC,
I included a pic of guide a few posts up. Is that what CM7000 looks like?I do not pay for any guide service. I do wish it gave air date and if an episode was "new" but i can't complain.

post #54 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 05:12 PM

As promised, very delicate work to pry off plastic clips in front of cover.

post #55 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 05:13 PM

post #56 of 83 Old 05-09-2013, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Is that what CM7000 looks like?
I 2nd the question. Anyone with a CM 7400 have a interior photo to show for comparison?

post #57 of 83 Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 AM

Do any of you CM 74 users experience problems with your remotes being unreliable? My new Entone remote is finicky and sometimes doesn't seem to send a command, unless it is a problem on the receiving end at the sensor?
post #58 of 83 Old 05-12-2013, 03:24 PM

post #59 of 83 Old 05-13-2013, 05:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Ok, I found this in the CM thread, but not the greatest quality. I was looking for high resolutions shots of both (in focus, no flash reflections) to closely compare the board layouts and components.;

post #60 of 83 Old 05-13-2013, 07:07 AM

Looks like my fan is placed just right (when viewing provided CM7400 board pic) of the RCA outputs that you have in common placement. Everything else looks the same at first glance.

One unrelated question
Sometimes my stock guide simply says "DTV programming" for CBS for example. Makes it impossible to record. When I did try recording it manually cause I knew what was on, I couldn't recall it on "recorded shows", wasn't even listed. Thoughts?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page