Entone Amulet 458 DVR: A CM7400 replacement from the actual manufacture with changes - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 05-13-2013, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 267
"DTV Program" is a very common placeholder name that stations use to comply with the letter of FCC requirements (which mandate that they provide guide data) without complying with the spirit of the requirements (by providing useful guide data). The only thing you can do is to contact your CBS station and ask them nicely to stop being lazy and populate their guide data with real information.
gnobes likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnobes View Post

Sometimes my stock guide simply says "DTV programming" for CBS for example. Makes it impossible to record. When I did try recording it manually cause I knew what was on, I couldn't recall it on "recorded shows", wasn't even listed. Thoughts?

"Place-holder" names like "DTV program" may change (to the show's real name) between the time you set them to record and the time they're actually supposed to record. Name-based recording will then let you down. Rather than trying to set shows like that to record from the guide, you probably need to set them to record "VCR-style," manually specifying the channel, start and end times.
gnobes likes this.
post #63 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went to the antenna logic website where they list a phone # to call for the best price. A woman answered the phone saying she was on a cell phone in New York.
post #64 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure I follow that. I don't see a phone # on the Antenna Logic web site. (But I do see that they've dropped the price $10, from $379.99 to $369.99. smile.gif Not a huge change, but this is the first time I've seen Antenna Logic reduce their price on anything.)

They're selling CM-7000 Pals for the same price. The Pal has better tuners but the Entone is a newer product with more features, so I'd expect the Entones to be worth more, especially considering the Pals are opened-box items. But Antenna Logic's pricing never made much sense to me. They may think the Channel Master brand is worth a 15% or so premium; OTOH, they're selling a Dish-brand DTVPal for $429.99! eek.gif
post #65 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 AM

Call for Best Price! 218-483-3469 http://antennalogic.ecrater.com/p/17040669/entone-dvr-dual-tuner-for-antenna is the web address with that phone #.
post #66 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

OK I see it now. A few lines down in the description of the product. But you said the number went to a woman in New York? Did she know anything, or is it just a wrong number?
post #67 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Can anyone comment on the tuner on this box? Does it receive weak or distant stations, and can you use an amp? The CM-7400 has a weak/problematic tuner, and I was just wondering if the Entone 458 version was any better. Thanks.
post #68 of 83 Old 06-12-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

OK I see it now. A few lines down in the description of the product. But you said the number went to a woman in New York? Did she know anything, or is it just a wrong number?
She said she never heard of entone and I was the first to call her about the dvr.
I also would like to know how the entone tuner compares to a DTV PAL.
post #69 of 83 Old 06-13-2013, 06:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevan49 View Post

She said she never heard of entone and I was the first to call her about the dvr...

You should try their email address antennalogic@gmail.com and let them know that the phone number they have listed is incorrect. They should be able to email you their correct phone number (and correct their website after hearing from you).

BTW area code 218 is for the northern part of Minnesota. confused.gif
post #70 of 83 Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

She said she never heard of entone and I was the first to call her about the dvr.
If it is indeed similar to the CM-7400, then the tuner is weak or problematic. If it is like the 7400, I don't think it handles error correction very well, and it may be overly sensitive to amplification which destroys the signal when using a preamp. The DTV Pal is a better choice unless the tuner issues have been corrected in the Entone 458. Which is what I would like to know.
videobruce likes this.
post #71 of 83 Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post

Make sure you dialed area code 218. 212 is New York I think, so you may have just misdialed.

You can check the CM-7400 thread for more info about the Entone. They are basically the same, except the Entone adds a much-needed fan, but doesn't have the option to subscribe to an Internet-based program guide (so the program guide is PSIP only, like the CM-7000 Pal).

Like the CM-7400, the Entone appears to use name-based recording. This is different from the CM-7000 Pal which uses timers for all recordings. If the guide is good, name-based recording is an improvement: the DVR will record the show whenever it's on for however long it's scheduled, even if the schedule changes after the show is set to record. However, there were reports on the CM-7400 thread that the PSIP-based guide doesn't stay up-to-date, causing missed recordings. I don't know if the Entone suffers from those issues.

It's not known for sure whether the Entone and CM-7400 use the same tuner, but it seems likely. The tuner was the biggest complaint with the CM-7400, aside from overheating due to lack of a fan (which isn't an issue with the Entone).
post #72 of 83 Old 06-13-2013, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

According to the purchase history for this Entone DVR on eBay (item number 140912170812) there were 40 units available for sale in February and so far 31 have been sold. I would imagine that any units sold directly on the antennalogic.com website or over the telephone are not included in those numbers.

My biggest concern with this DVR is the lack of any manufacturer's warranty to the end-user consumer. I believe the seller has stated that he has a 90-day warranty from the manufacturer from the manufacturer's invoice date. What happens if the seller has held the inventory for over 90 days and the end-user consumer then receives a defective unit? confused.gif

I think in this case a 2-year or 3-year SquareTrade warranty would be well worth it. The non-discounted SquareTrade warranty price for Home Theater devices priced from $300 through $399.99 on the SquareTrade website is $34.99 for 2 years and $53.99 for 3 years.
post #73 of 83 Old 07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

The price of these on eBay (item #140912170812) has gone up to $499.99 plus shipping. eek.gif It says there are 4 left for sale.
post #74 of 83 Old 07-03-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like the Antenna Logic seller is now sold out of these versions.
post #75 of 83 Old 07-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

Looks like the Antenna Logic seller is now sold out of these versions.

The eBay listing (#140912170812) from antennalogic is still showing 4 available at $499.99 plus shipping. As you stated, they have disappeared from the antennalogic.com website. confused.gif
post #76 of 83 Old 07-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Advanced Member

The eBay listing has now dropped back to a price of $379.99 (plus shipping) and it now says that there are 9 units available.
post #77 of 83 Old 07-16-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

I wonder if he just uses some simple pricing scheme, like: if 5 or fewer units available, show price at $500 - 0.01; if over 5 units, show price at $380 - 0.01.

If so it'll go back up after he sells a few more units (unless someone wants to buy out his entire stock!)
post #78 of 83 Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Ok, time to clear up all of the mud that's being posted :-)
I got my Entone 4 months ago with no issues to date. Called 218 number and got the company. Entone has a very good tuner. I get channels from 65 miles away without loss. I do use a pre-amp at antenna. You can set Entone by show name or like VCR. Any questions? :-)
post #79 of 83 Old 07-31-2013, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Called 218 number and got the company.
As I speculated earlier, hevan49 may have just misdialed area code 212 instead of 218.
Quote:

Entone has a very good tuner. I get channels from 65 miles away without loss. I do use a pre-amp at antenna.
This is the big question for most would-be buyers. The CM-7400 had two major issues, overheating and a poor tuner. We know the Entone fixed the first.

According to P Smith's investigations, the CM-7400 used this tuner IC: Marvel 88DE8500 N8B53102.2 x2 - Hybrid Silicon Tuner

I know both gnobes and videobruce have posted photos of the Entone's circuit board, but has anyone identified its tuner IC yet? If it's the same, gnobes was probably just lucky; but if Entone switched to another IC, that should fix the other big CM-7400 issue.
Quote:

You can set Entone by show name or like VCR.
As I said earlier,
Quote:
Like the CM-7400, the Entone appears to use name-based recording.
... which is generally better than time-based DVRs like the CM-7000 (but see gnobes's post #60 for a problem it can cause). I probably should have made it clear, though, that like most DVRs, the Entone (and CM-7400) also let the user manually schedule recordings VCR-style, so you have a way around any problems.
post #80 of 83 Old 07-31-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, time to clear up all of the mud that's being posted :-)
I got my Entone 4 months ago with no issues to date. Called 218 number and got the company. Entone has a very good tuner. I get channels from 65 miles away without loss. I do use a pre-amp at antenna. You can set Entone by show name or like VCR. Any questions? :-)
Good to hear the newer Entone 458 version seems to have a good tuner. This was a problem with the CM-7400, as well as the overheating. This is the version that Channel Master or some other company should be marketing, and sounds as if the 7400 issues have been addressed and corrected. But, as we know now, Channel Master has gone back to EchoStar for their next effort.
post #81 of 83 Old 07-31-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

And I would be curious as well if anyone can identify the tuner in the 458, and if it is indeed different from the 7400. Because with or without a preamp, I could not receive distant channels from 50 to 70 miles with the 7400.
post #82 of 83 Old 07-31-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post

This is the version that Channel Master or some other company should be marketing, and sounds as if the 7400 issues have been addressed and corrected.
Maybe they will. Entone is an OEM for this type of equipment to companies like Echostar and CM. Everybody assumes Echostar will build a new unit, possibly from the ground up, for Channel Master. I think it more probable that they start with one of the pre-built chinese units like this, personalize the UI and add a few features like a paid guide option and boom -- new "improved" Channel Master model.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #83 of 83 Old 09-14-2013, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Echostar was the corporation that also branded their DBS service as Dish Network. Later, Echostar and Dish Network (later re-branded as simply Dish) were broken apart into 2 separate companies, but with the same chairman for both companies: co-founder Charels Ergen. The original PalTV DVR with Echostar branding and the subsequent re-branding of that virtual identical unit as Channel Master were both based on Echostar's original in-house 50X models (and 510) of rudimentary (over 10 year old tech) SINGLE-tuner DVR's that were hard-time based (later firmware updated to Name Based for Dish 50X, 510 DVR's). And there are still some of those old DVR's in some homes, but not for much longer as Dish needs to upgrade it's modulation scheme for its Standard Def services on their Western Arc, and is in the process of changing out those old DVR's. Echostar also makes STB's for Europe, but for North America, it makes STB for Dish in USA and Bell ExpressVu (now Bell TV) in Canada (and I think for their Mexican service, as well). Sine the 50X,510 DVR's, Echostar has developed DishPro (for Standard Def) and then ViP (for HD)& SD) platform DVR's that have Name Based Recording along with other features with the ViP's being the more sophisticated.

While Echostar's efforts for Channel Master could be based on their European boxes, I doubt it. I think we are going to see a Channel Master based on a North American STB. The question is WHICH of the Echostar platforms will the new Channel Master be based. Let's hope Echostar and Channel Master agree not to use the really old 50X/510 tech, and instead go with either DishPro or ViP tech. The new Hopper technology (8XX line) is far too new and highly sophisticated to be even considered for the new Channel Master, so I doubt we're going to see an EPG with channel logos and title card thumbnails for our list of recordings. MoCA support would be nice and have great potential for accessing the DVR from other rooms in the house. Either DishPro or ViP would make the new Chanel Master a compelling product and a real alternative to TiVo's new Roamio DVR's which are a significant improvement in every respect to the Premiere line. Another question will be if additional fees will be required for more reliable guide data to make the Name Based Recording feature--if there is to be one--truly reliable.

I can't wait to see what the new Channel Master is going to be. I just hope they made the right choice.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page