Cable capable HD DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
AMMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sammamish WA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking for an HD DVR capable of using digitial cable and able to record two channels at once.

I do not want to rent a cable company box or purchase a subscription like item similar to TIVO.

Ability to use a cable card would be nice.

I currently have a Moxi and it is ok for now but my two friends want to know what is available today.

What is available now?

Mike
AMMO is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 03-18-2013, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
demonfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

I'm looking for an HD DVR capable of using digitial cable and able to record two channels at once.

I do not want to rent a cable company box or purchase a subscription like item similar to TIVO.

Ability to use a cable card would be nice.

I currently have a Moxi and it is ok for now but my two friends want to know what is available today.

What is available now?

If you want something that can use a CableCARD - which is the only way forward, now that clear QAM is no longer required even for locals on cable - at the moment, TiVo is your only option. There is literally nothing else in production and supported. However, you don't have to pay month to month or by year - that's what Product Lifetime Service is for. I'm told there's a code floating around to get Lifetime for $399 instead of the usual $499.

Otherwise, you're stuck with whatever the cable operator offers you.

Edit: Unless you want to build an HTPC with Windows Media Center - and even that is full of question marks, due to WMC being unmaintained.
demonfoo is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
AMMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sammamish WA
Posts: 159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonfoo View Post

If you want something that can use a CableCARD - which is the only way forward, now that clear QAM is no longer required even for locals on cable - at the moment, TiVo is your only option. There is literally nothing else in production and supported. However, you don't have to pay month to month or by year - that's what Product Lifetime Service is for. I'm told there's a code floating around to get Lifetime for $399 instead of the usual $499.

Otherwise, you're stuck with whatever the cable operator offers you.

Edit: Unless you want to build an HTPC with Windows Media Center - and even that is full of question marks, due to WMC being unmaintained.

Thanks that's about what I have come up with. Wonder why the lack of products along this line. You would think a simple cable card ready device with 2 or 3 tuners would be a hit?

Mike
AMMO is offline  
post #4 of 8 Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
demonfoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Thanks that's about what I have come up with. Wonder why the lack of products along this line. You would think a simple cable card ready device with 2 or 3 tuners would be a hit?

Many cable operators still make it difficult to get CableCARDs, and the certification process is complicated and expensive, even with self-certification being an available option now. The requirements are complex for the hardware and software, and then you still have to deal with the fact that such a device is limited only to cable (and maybe OTA), no satellite. Most people are happy enough with the MSO DVR boxes, even though they don't work that well - it's simple to just pay for the DVR box and service every month, instead of paying up front for hardware you then own. There are a variety of reasons why.
demonfoo is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flyingvee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: stranded in Iowa
Posts: 3,255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Are there any OTA HDD DVRs? I don't know of any, I can't find any. But my Brother in law (you know the type) swears that his elderly Walmart shopping sister has one that she got for "around $400." I know that she'd never go HTPC, or any of the other routes; he claims it is just a box, like you'd buy from any electronics provider.

Any ideas? Closest thing I could find was the Magnavox SD HDD recorder.

On the bright side, my coming here to ask this found me the "solution" for getting my HDD500 working again. Not holding my breath, but need to read a dozen pages of posts and see if I can get it going.

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
flyingvee is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Kelson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Delaware - The First State (USA)
Posts: 10,446
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingvee View Post

Are there any OTA HDD DVRs? I don't know of any, I can't find any.
Here is a recent list for HiDef DVR's. You can find threads for the various units in this forum. The Magnavox is also available but is only SD and was not designed as a DVR but as a DVD disk recorder.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Kelson is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 03-25-2013, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JDLIVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Marlborough, MA
Posts: 2,922
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMMO View Post

Thanks that's about what I have come up with. Wonder why the lack of products along this line. You would think a simple cable card ready device with 2 or 3 tuners would be a hit?

I think the vast majority of consumers are happy renting a box from their provider, so it's a pretty small niche market.
JDLIVE is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 03-26-2013, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mdavej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,211
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 429
What you need is an HTPC. It's multi-tuner and subscription-free and works beautifully. It works so well in fact that some in my family still think we have a cable or satellite DVR. My 4-tuner, 4 TV system costs me a whopping $2/month versus $40 if I still had cable DVRs.
mdavej is offline  
Reply HDTV Recorders

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off