28Likes

post #271 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
I don't like that the standby light is now green instead of what it was before(red).
That was changed in the version he sent me a month ago that was a rush job to change the RF out default to ch. 3. The LED's shouldn't of been reversed. You don't need a 'on' LED, but you do need a "record" indicator and that should be red.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

You don't need a 'on' LED, but you do need a "record" indicator and that should be red.
I agree, also the green LED is particularly bright for standby operation, if it were in a bedroom I'd probably put a piece of tape over it or somehow try and dim it down smile.gif
post #273 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Closed Caption recording ability
Does the Iview 3500 record Closed Captions and if not
will this be added in an update
Joe
post #274 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
The iView records the MPEG-2 transport stream, so the captions are included in that. According to post 4, the iView will not let you display the captions, though. You'd have to run CCExtractor to dump the captions to SRT and then play the files back on a device that supports external subtitles.
post #275 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

After getting the download from Videobruce and also downloading a file to extract it(7 zip 64 bit edition) I was able to install it in my iView. I'm happy to report a few updates. As VB has said you can now program an event from the guide screen with only 2 pushes. It also displays the correct channel(not the C0001, etc.) when in the programming screen.
On the negative side I'm quite sure they haven't fixed the midnight bug(after programming an event that spans midnight I am unable to program events after it) and I don't like that the standby light is now green instead of what it was before(red). I mean to me red means STOP(or off) and green means GO(or on) but maybe others feel different, not a big deal either way really.
The update was painless and took less than a minute to run and didn't seem to change any of my settings, overall I see no reason for users to not run it smile.gif
+1. Thanks videobruce. I did have to reboot after the firmware update as my unit froze right after. But, it has been working fine since then. To me, this unit is a keeper; certainly easier than using my desktop with WMC and HDHomerun. Not as nice a UI, but hey, it works fairly well and the price makes it a no brainer. Recordings to my attached USB 1TB drive are also perfect. The unit does seem to need a powered USB drive though.

HD Media Keen Videosaurus
post #276 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The flash process does reboot the system twice. Once before the flash, then once after. It's so quick, it isn't really noticeable unless you look close. After the reboot, did you remove your memory stick?
Exactly when did it freeze? Was there any user input before the freeze?

Most of the freezes last for less than 60 seconds. FWIW, those Sonys I had locked up every so often also.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #277 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So just flashed my unit. Going to see if it fixed some of my problems (which others did not have like all my settings restoring to default when unit is shut off). First thing I noticed right away, is they removed EST -5 GMT from country region. You need to scroll through manual now to find it? It used to be EST -5 Kingston

I'll update what else I find
post #278 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I never noticed that the time zones were changed to what they should of been. I'll add that to the changes.
But, the offset is still off by one hour.

post #279 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I never noticed that the time zones were changed to what they should of been. I'll add that to the changes.
But, the offset is still off by one hour.

Ya offset still wrong, so I just manually set -4 to compensate
post #280 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's what we have been doing.

post #281 of 3677 Old 05-25-2013, 10:34 PM

So recording SNL from 11:30-1am Its still going. I forgot it still dosent turn off if it spans after midnight. I hope they fix the time/days of week/midnight bug soon. Quite essential. I am going to write another email tomorrow stressing some of your list. I never got a reply to my last one, but I think I just sent to a generic support email.
post #282 of 3677 Old 05-26-2013, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, they are read. From my experience with that other outfit and now here, I believe it is a cultural thing. Look at those other two no-name wonders, no one has been able to get any significant response from either.
He told me they haven't done anything about the recording scheduling issues. I hoping they address more of the small stuff to get that out of the way while they are working on that and the "QAM quagmire" mess.

post #283 of 3677 Old 05-26-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Here is the 3rd revised 'fixes' list taking into account the fixes in the recent non-finalized firmware (* indicates simple menu text changes);

1a. When switching channels in the Guide, program names appear in a timely manner, but the associated text (right pane) does not. When and if it does, whatever the initial text was gets carried across to every other channel, getting added to the end of the text for that program.
1b. When the right pane gets populated with details of the program, this causes lockups, or unresponsiveness. It takes up to a minute to regain control if it can at all. This appears due to lack of memory, chip selection and/or a firmware conflict not being able to handle the process.
1c. Add the ability to save program listings without returning to that channel to populate the data,
2. Recordings that span midnight will not allow any additional scheduled events to be added. Also, the recording will not stop when it should,
3. Daily and weekly recordings do not record properly. (Not clear on exact problems),
4a. Display the actual channel numbers on the display. If this isn't possible, don't display that irrelevant number since it is meaningless.
4b. Add a record indicator on the display. You can't tell if it is recording or not if the TV is not on
4c. Add a sheet of colored film behind the display window to reduce the brightness and change the color to something other than red.
5. Add a manual method to enter the correct time. Relying on stations time isn't always accurate. There is also a problem using the GMT offset which can be off by one hour.
6. Switch to 12 hour clock format.,
7. Add an adjustable skip function for playback,
8. On CATV systems., all the channels are labeled "0-0", 1/3 of the encrypted channels are not 'skipped' and some 'in the clear' channels to not show,
9. Only 11 program listings per station show, no matter how many the station is actually providing.
*10. Rename "Program" to "Channel" in the menu. You are editing channels, not programs. Remove the need for a password and move this to the Channel tab,
11. Enhance the contrast of the menus making them easier to read. Darken the darker grays and brighten the text.
12. When scrolling through the recorded programs, use 'Play' to play the recording in full screen instead of that “Hold” key which is misnamed,
13. Rename “Hold” to “Schedule” and “Recall” to "Return” on the remote. Swap the number pad and transport keys around. Add channel up/down keys and remove duplicate volume & channel up/down from the navigation keys,
14. Add the ability to enter a 'dash' for sub channels,
15. Remove “Radio” channels. This doesn't always see audio channels as “Radio”, placing many under the normal video. This just makes things more complicated and confusing,
16. Add a conformation step when using the 'Auto search' since it's easy to hit it by mistake and wipe out all your channels when you wanted to do a manual search,
17. Move the “Resume/Exit” pop up box from the top of the playback list screen to the center and change the background color or emphasize it somehow to make it easier to see.
18. The time offset is off by one hour forcing a manual entry,
*19. Remove those four choices for sorting the channels. They do not have any affect on channel order. Also, their labels are mostly unknown here. The ability to move individual channels is already there,
*20. Rename “Book” in the manual record screen to 'Schedule'. These aren't airline flights you are scheduling,
21. When using 'Manual search' to save new channels, return back to the manual search screen after entry is saved instead of exiting. It's a real annoyance to re-enter the screen again to add additional channels.
22. When in the menu, do not use the term “boot” on the display.
23. Change the default HDMI audio to “Raw HDMI On”,
*24. Rename “Movie” in USB mode to “Recordings”. These aren't always movies that are recorded.
25. There is no 'space' entry when editing the program names to separate words,
26. Volume & mute have no effect on the HDMI output when in Raw mode (for 5.1 audio),
27. There is no slow motion function,
*28. Remove the “TV Format” entry in the menu since there is no “PAL” format in N. America
29. During recording, when you click on 'Info', there are two entries that should be removed; “Max record size” which seems to be a duplicate of “Disk free space” and “Cur play size” which always shoes “0KB”,
30. Is that above pop up suppose to display during playback? If so, it doesn't.
31. Where are these “colored keys” that are mentioned on page 14 on the remote?
32. What is this “service mode” that is mentioned in the manual?
33. There is no mention of the term “ATSC” in any of your literature or in the on line manual. References to “DVB-T” should be removed,
34. Revise the features on page 3; change DVB-T FTA to ATSC OTA, remove that incorrect “400 channel capacity”, change 570i & p to 480i & p.
35. Revise the specs on page 18; change frequency range to 57-803 MHz, bandwidth to 6 MHz, add "ATSC" to demodulation and remove “DVB-T”.
36. Remove all of those distracting, unnecessary digital wipe patterns when in the photos section. Add a simple 'dissolve' in their place,
37. Unable to return to Photo configure from Multimedia to change settings,
38. Use the l > l > and < l < l buttons to advance or go back in photo mode.

Remote;
1. The remote is way too small. Buttons are too close together. Text is hard to read,
2. Move the number pad to the bottom and the keypad layout to the conventional telephone layout,
3. Rename “Hold” to “Schedule” and “Recall” to "Return”,
4. Add dedicated channel up/dn buttons and leave the up/dn navigation keys for a single purpose,
5. Remove the duplicated volume up/dn from the left/right navigation buttons,
6. Add a separate button for timeshifting. Leave pause by itself.

revised order and grouped similar items together

post #284 of 3677 Old 05-26-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblenis View Post

So recording SNL from 11:30-1am Its still going. I forgot it still dosent turn off if it spans after midnight. I hope they fix the time/days of week/midnight bug soon. Quite essential. I am going to write another email tomorrow stressing some of your list. I never got a reply to my last one, but I think I just sent to a generic support email.
I had the same thing this morning with my test event mad.gif I had a 33GB file and getting larger by the minute. I pushed STOP then OK and it stopped but wasn't quick enough to say OK again and it promptly shut off rolleyes.gif
I agree the midnight but is a MAJOR PIA and I'd like seen fixed with the highest priority smile.gif
post #285 of 3677 Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblenis View Post

I just bought one so I don't know if this will work but can't you record it in 2 pieces? 11:30 to 11:59 and 12:01 to end time?

If so you really won't miss much. They probably go to commercial break anyway for 3 minutes at the top of the hour.
post #286 of 3677 Old 05-26-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

I just bought one so I don't know if this will work but can't you record it in 2 pieces? 11:30 to 11:59 and 12:01 to end time?

If so you really won't miss much. They probably go to commercial break anyway for 3 minutes at the top of the hour.
Yes that works and is what I do when I regularly record JK which runs 11pm-12:05am in my market but it's not ideal to miss a bit of your program. If it were a commercial I wouldn't mind but that doesn't usually happen.
post #287 of 3677 Old 05-27-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Updated post 5

post #288 of 3677 Old 05-27-2013, 03:46 PM

hey bruce,

I think they changed the generous signal racial in the firmware. any mention of this? now some of my channels that I get or just barely getting are in the red zones now (some used to be in the blue or pink)
post #289 of 3677 Old 05-27-2013, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I didn't notice any difference.. I would have to make a A/B comparison to be sure. I wanted to wait and see if this weird Guide issue surfaces again after I reset defaults after a few days.

post #290 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 AM

I'm trying to use the closed captions since I don't hear well, but the captions appear to lag behind so much that it is difficult to follow the show. Has anyone else noticed this and is there anything that can be done to correct this?

Also, how do I play shows that I have recorded? I looked everywhere but didn't see how to do this. I'm sure I just overlooked it, but if someone could just point it out to me, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Jman
post #291 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the captions appear to lag behind so much that it is difficult to follow
How does the CC display in real time (non recorded)? It's probably a processor issue.
Quote:
how do I play shows that I have recorded?
It's in the manual, have you d/l'ed the full size manual off their site?
It's the "USB" button.

post #292 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 12:22 PM

The CC problem is with live TV. I haven't watched a recorded show yet. The captions are so far behind what is being said that I just turned it off becuase it was terribly confusing. However, I have grown accustomed to having the captions in the past and when working properly, they are a big help.
post #293 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked: 332
The usefulness of the captions depends on their source. Scripted material generally has well timed captions, since the dialogue was prepared ahead of time, but the captions on live shows, such as newscasts and variety shows, are usually terrible. You can tell if the captions are the latter type if sentences slowly print across the screen letter by letter, rather than appearing instantly. Such captions seem to be typed in realtime by somebody transcribing the program, and they're always far behind what's being said. Programs on networks like MeTV that were released before captions were standard generally have these low quality captions, too. If these are the kind of captions that are bothering you, there is nothing you can do to fix them. If you're having a desync problem with the good kind of captions where every line is merely coming too early or too late, it is possible to extract them to SRT and adjust their timing.

@ videobruce

Do you need to update post 4? It still says that captions aren't even supported.
post #294 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 03:35 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, I'm new to this forum.

I received my Iview 3500STB Saturday from Amazon. A big thanks to VideoBruce for all the info posted here and on Amazon. I knew exactly what I was getting and how to handle each thing.

My unit did not have any smell other than a slight new electronics sent. Not noticeable at all. I was wondering if the people who complained about the smell maybe forgot to take off the plastic film on the case before turning the unit on. It was also mentioned that after the firmware update the standby light was green. Mine was green from the start. When I checked the software info it looks like V3. However, it does not do the new recording with just to button pushes.

I have a 160GB 2.5" drive, from when I upgraded my laptop, connected to the 3500 and so far it has worked flawlessly. This is a great bargain for the under $40 mark.

I have not found the firmware upgrade for the 3500STB listed anywhere on their website. Is VideoBruce the only place I can get the firmware upgrade? Or is it a Coming Soon thing at their website?
post #295 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 05:03 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewhite43 View Post

I have not found the firmware upgrade for the 3500STB listed anywhere on their website. Is VideoBruce the only place I can get the firmware upgrade? Or is it a Coming Soon thing at their website?

Once the testing is done the firmware should be available on iView's website.
post #296 of 3677 Old 05-28-2013, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Do you need to update post 4? It still says that captions aren't even supported.
Corrected.
Quote:
My unit did not have any smell other than a slight new electronics sent. Not noticeable at all.
Tell that to some of these dandy Amazon reviewers claiming it's toxic. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
It was also mentioned that after the firmware update the standby light was green. Mine was green from the start. When I checked the software info it looks like V3. However, it does not do the new recording with just to button pushes.
You have the "patch" firmware that was done to solve the RF out default problem, changing it to ch 3 instead of 'off'. Not sure why the LED functions were reversed though. confused.gif

post #297 of 3677 Old 05-29-2013, 10:34 AM

Liked: 21
First, a million thanks to videobruce for his work and communications with the supplier of this device. I bought the 3500STB about a month ago and have been lurking in this thread since before I got it.

I installed the beta, and it does allow recording from the EPG, a major improvement! It also seems to make browsing the EPG a bit more stable - I am not getting as many reboots as with the old firmware. But the recording of scheduled programming is still hit-and-miss like it was before. Sometimes it records, sometimes not. It seems to affect some channels more than others.

My short list of those things that still need to be fixed with firmware, leaving out all the things I can live with:

1. Reliable scheduled recordings. Fix the problems with daily / weekly scheduling. Add a "mon-fri" option, as well as the "daily" (every day) option.
2. Stop the rebooting / lockups when browsing in the EPG - in general, fix the EPG problems mentioned by others.
3. Extend the EPG beyond the current 11 event limit. (note that 11 events is beyond what any of my TV sets or converter boxes can do, except for my DTVpal)
4. Indicate that the unit is recording on the front panel in some way.
5. Allow manual clock setting, maybe even eliminate the option to get clock from stations, since we all know PSIP info is frequently wrong or missing.
6. Make the whole menu more readable, be it with a different color scheme, higher contrast, or a bold font. Hard to read on my 52" screen past 10 feet.

I personally could live with the "midnight" bug, and being able to record from the EPG makes the 24-hour clock not as much a problem as it was.

I really believe that fixing any of the problems with QAM is pointless, since in a few years all cable systems will scramble all channels, now that they have FCC permission to do so.

Now, about the remote: Has anyone set up a universal remote for this box? Has anyone found codes that work on their universal remotes? I have a learning remote that I want to set up for this box, but having a code would take less effort and use less remote memory.

For a redesigned box, I would like to see a 2 - tuner model that has space in the box for an internal 3.5" hard drive. (Large 2.5" drives are expensive) and / or a rear USB as well as the front USB port.

This should be a lesson to iview, and all manufacturers: There are many people (like myself) who would be willing to work as beta testers BEFORE releasing a product. Making your paying customers unknowing beta testers is never a good policy. Have them proofread the poorly translated manuals. And, please, do testing in the country where the product is intended to be used!
videobruce likes this.

Cache Valley, UT TV news:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #298 of 3677 Old 05-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
I really believe that fixing any of the problems with QAM is pointless, since in a few years all cable systems will scramble all channels, now that they have FCC permission to do so.

This is one of the worst perpetuated myths that keeps getting touted around here in AVSForum.

All cable systems are different. Some are customer friendly, some are not. The FCC can make a new ruling tomorrow completely changing what the cable companies can or can't do. Heck, they could toss out QAM in favor of something that supports H.264, 3D or 4k.

The point being that RIGHT NOW, there are many cable services throughout the U.S. that work just fine in the clear. To paint everyone with your brush of negativity does no one any good except to make you feel better about your own cable service's short comings.

If a device supports QAM it should do it in the best way it can. I find it more likely a $40 device won't be functional within the 'few years' your psychic vision covers.
So why shouldn't it work now?

--
(this space for rent)
post #299 of 3677 Old 05-29-2013, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The odd thing is, if you look at their product literature and on their website, only QAM is mentioned, no ATSC at all. wink.gif Is it debatable if QAM is worth it now, especially w/o analog record capability. Of course the argument is stronger against analog since most systems are dumping it anyway.
The way the QAM tuner is now, it would be better if it was disabled until they can get a handle on it since you can't record anything anyway (AFAIK).

post #300 of 3677 Old 05-30-2013, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Lets face it, to pay programmers their costly fees to fix firmware on a DVR/Tuner that costs $40 is not a very good business model unless the IVIEW is selling like hot cakes and bringing lots of money to cover the costs of production plus produce a good profit to spend money on fixes.

I just don't see the revenue there to spend the money on making the IVIEW the perfect DVR/TUNER we wish it to be. If we get a few fixes in the coming months we will be lucky.

This is a business and it is about making money not tossing it away.

Expectations are way too high.

Now a better business model would be to charge a fee for firmware fixes. Much like Printer makers who make money off of the ink but don't make money off of the printer. IView could release firmware changes that open up different features or improve the DVR and charge. Yeah that sucks. I would hate it. But I would much rather have a way to get more firmware updates than none at all. Of course I would like the costs to be reasonable. Maybe a buck to 5 bucks depending on how major the firmware upgrades are. Microsoft made many Windows releases that they charged customers for, that they called new versions of Windows and they weren't anything more than firmware like updates.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page