post #2971 of 3386 Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxforwardspeed View Post

Thanks for the reply. I actually forgot to mention the firmware. I can't remember what is installed on it now, but I'll check when i get home. I was going to upgrade but wasn't sure which to go with. I've tried the RF through coax connection and the lag persists. Hopefully a firmware update will work. I don't know if I should go with virtual or physical though, but I am in the chicago area. I'm thinking virtual?

You said previously it was an OTA signal. If that's the case, virtual and physical firmware does not apply since that is in reference to receiving QAM signals. If you are not on the latest firmware - v13 - try that first. Since this is not a common problem, there is no recommended version to fix it (and we don't know if it will fix it at all) so you will just have to try things out.

This shouldn't cause it but try also changing the audio setting in the menu. I'm not home now to see the exact name of the setting but the one where you can switch between PCM and HDMI raw, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 3386 Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

When you see lines on the RF output, are you talking about in loop through mode, or on channels 3 and 4 , which would output the 3500 menus, dvr and channel etc.

Channel 3, regular vcr-style hookup: incoming cable to the 3500, RF out to TV; no loop-through, nothing fancy. Horizontal lines, running slowly up the screen...

I did a lot of testing/troubleshooting during the course of this issue. With absolutely nothing plugged into the input of the box, the lines are there, immediately upon turning the box on, right over the welcome settings menu. I've tried different cables, different electrical circuits, moving it farther from and closer to the television- nothing changes the severity or speed of the lines- they are there, constantly.

After my last discussion with another member here, who suggested I put a scope on my electric- I took the box to a friend's house during my travels, and he was kind enough to allow me to plug it up to his television, using his cables, his tv, and his electric, naturally. The lines are still there, 65 miles away from my house. I was not really expecting anything different. It's the box...

I don't know whether Meritline.com is selling off a batch of poorly made boxes, or if perhaps they sent me back the same box I returned to them- anything is possible, as they are holding my money hostage- they refused to pick up return shipping on either of the defective boxes, and have refused to refund my money, offering only "store credit". Very bad business, and I can't recommend that anyone buy anything there. I have contacted Iview about the issue, once every couple of days- and they are not responding.

Bottom line- the box doesn't do what it was advertised to do, since the RF output on the one(s) I received does not work correctly. Neither the merchant nor the manufacturer is helping me. All in all, it was a very poor experience, and I can't recommend Meritline.com as a reliable and reputable vendor, and I can't recommend Iview due to the problem with my unit(s) and their lack of concern for a legitimate customer issue.

post #2973 of 3386 Old 02-05-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdb27 View Post

Hello,
I have looked through this thread and appreciate all the great info. Just wanted to verify that there is no way to set the clock manually and no plans for them to fix this. I have COX cable and it scans the QAM channels but does not sat the clock, and no guide information is available. In fact, there is no information at all including the current show you are watching. Should I try a different firmware? I have tried v12 and v13 and didn't see any difference.

Not being able to set the clock makes this thing useless as a DVR/PVR for me. I haven't tried it, but I assume I could hook this to an OTA antenna and let it set the clock, then switch back to cable for QAM. But my friend who was thinking of getting one of these units won't have that option (no antenna - we are too far from any station for simple rabbit ears).

I guess this was more of a rant than a question, but any information on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jeff

I have the exact same problem with date and time on cable. I called iview and they did not understand the problem but said I needed V10. But they never sent it. I emailed 2 more times but no replies. I tried V7,V12 and V13a. Any other suggestions? It is worthless without being able to program it. Also when I watch a movie from the USB port the colors are very poor compared to using the TV or DVD USB port. I am using the HDMI cable.   Thanx

post #2974 of 3386 Old 02-05-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post

I have the exact same problem with date and time on cable. I called iview and they did not understand the problem but said I needed V10. But they never sent it. I emailed 2 more times but no replies. I tried V7,V12 and V13a. Any other suggestions? It is worthless without being able to program it. Also when I watch a movie from the USB port the colors are very poor compared to using the TV or DVD USB port. I am using the HDMI cable.   Thanx

v10 was renamed v13 before it was released so you have already tried it. The only thing you can do is if you have at least one station that sends correct time you will have to always leave it on that station before recording and preferably leave the box on all the time. This will not work 100% of the time but can work depending on your viewing and recording habits and quirks of the box. If you do not have any station with time, you cannot do anything about it at all.

The only person I recall complaining about the picture quality had their TV picture settings for that input source maladjusted.
post #2975 of 3386 Old 02-05-2014, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
You can't use timers without a clock. If your cable feed doesn't provide one, your iView is useless. There is not and will not be an update to fix it. You'll need to buy a different DVR or start using an antenna for OTA TV.
post #2976 of 3386 Old 02-05-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoonz View Post

Channel 3, regular vcr-style hookup: incoming cable to the 3500, RF out to TV; no loop-through, nothing fancy. Horizontal lines, running slowly up the screen...

I did a lot of testing/troubleshooting during the course of this issue. With absolutely nothing plugged into the input of the box, the lines are there, immediately upon turning the box on, right over the welcome settings menu. I've tried different cables, different electrical circuits, moving it farther from and closer to the television- nothing changes the severity or speed of the lines- they are there, constantly.

After my last discussion with another member here, who suggested I put a scope on my electric- I took the box to a friend's house during my travels, and he was kind enough to allow me to plug it up to his television, using his cables, his tv, and his electric, naturally. The lines are still there, 65 miles away from my house. I was not really expecting anything different. It's the box...

I don't know whether Meritline.com is selling off a batch of poorly made boxes, or if perhaps they sent me back the same box I returned to them- anything is possible, as they are holding my money hostage- they refused to pick up return shipping on either of the defective boxes, and have refused to refund my money, offering only "store credit". Very bad business, and I can't recommend that anyone buy anything there. I have contacted Iview about the issue, once every couple of days- and they are not responding.

Bottom line- the box doesn't do what it was advertised to do, since the RF output on the one(s) I received does not work correctly. Neither the merchant nor the manufacturer is helping me. All in all, it was a very poor experience, and I can't recommend Meritline.com as a reliable and reputable vendor, and I can't recommend Iview due to the problem with my unit(s) and their lack of concern for a legitimate customer issue.

I see. Ok, I can only confirm that on my 3500ii I don't see any visible artifacts or lines on the rf output.
post #2977 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 06:10 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

I see. Ok, I can only confirm that on my 3500ii I don't see any visible artifacts or lines on the rf output.

Nor have any others posted about an issue with their RF out. I suspect the box was fine, but that he damaged it in some way, or hooked something up backwards, or some other negligent action to cause the issue.

The complaining (ad nauseam) poster was given a simple and inexpensive way to alleviate his problem, (RF converter) but has chosen to continue to whine, complain, and vent his frustrations about the issue to the poor, weary people of this forum. It would seem he feels impotent in dealing with the vendor and manufacturer, so he has chosen to unload his frustrations here. It should be obvious to any normal person that we can't do anything to help his issue, yet he continues to loudly proclaim the iview as a piece of junk, and warns everyone not to buy it if they need RF out. It would be funny if it weren't so sad. Talk about beating a dead horse. One can always dispute the charge with their CC company, no?

One must wonder, if a person gets this worked up over a $40 box, what will he do when he has a more serious problem? I predict an early heart attack or stroke, which of course will be someone else's fault.

I fully expect said poster to complain once again, this time about this post, so it may get deleted.
jjeff likes this.
post #2978 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Chazdole,

I understand where you are coming from but he has tried many things except for your solution. So it really isn't like he is just complaining. He is frustrated. I think it is rubbing off on those of us who don't have the problem and can't figure out why he has it. It would almost tempt me to send him one of my boxes that I know works and have him try it!
post #2979 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 07:02 AM

Hi guys

WOW lots of posts on this little Tuner

I picked up the MCM Stellar Labs DT-800 which looks very similar to yours
Anyone know if it is indeed the very same box?
Wondering if I can load your firmware in my box to get the PVR configuration screen?
From your screen shots looks like the only difference I can see

Thanks for the comments

Too Many Projects Never Enough Time
post #2980 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 83

The only thing I'd worry about would be if the remote would still work. The iView is also very similar to the Homeworx but if you flash the iView with the Homeworx firmware your iView remote will no longer work, you'd have to use a Homeworx(or Harmony) remote. If you flashed your Stellar Labs unit with iView firmware it's "possible" you may need a iView remote to do any thing else.....There are probably a half dozen boxes with the same basic Chinese design but the firmware is probably a bit different for each box, features are one thing but when the remote no longer works you may have a brick on your hands.

post #2981 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Where on the web can you find the latest downloads. I need the Virtual version a( the sept version has problems when i attempt to record).The dec physical version works well, but it changes the name of the  stations, and is a big pain.

THanks

post #2982 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfoulkesjr View Post

Where on the web can you find the latest downloads. I need the Virtual version a( the sept version has problems when i attempt to record).The dec physical version works well, but it changes the name of the  stations, and is a big pain.

THanks

About 3 or 4th post at the top of this thread
post #2983 of 3386 Old 02-06-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

I think this is come up before on this thread but has anyone tried to get a google tv box to control the iview 3500?
post #2984 of 3386 Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
The only thing I'd worry about would be if the remote would still work. The iView is also very similar to the Homeworx but if you flash the iView with the Homeworx firmware your iView remote will no longer work, you'd have to use a Homeworx(or Harmony) remote. If you flashed your Stellar Labs unit with iView firmware it's "possible" you may need a iView remote to do any thing else.....There are probably a half dozen boxes with the same basic Chinese design but the firmware is probably a bit different for each box, features are one thing but when the remote no longer works you may have a brick on your hands.

Thanks for the response
For the $35 I paid for the Stellar Labs MCM unit I might give it a try
Was expecting someone else had done this before

Too Many Projects Never Enough Time
post #2985 of 3386 Old 02-08-2014, 12:43 PM

I started a new threadby mistake, so, here is my problem. I just now installed my new 3500stbii wnd wasgetting oretty goo reception on most of the channels. But I was going through the menu and inadvertently changed something that basically caused it not to display on either channel 3 or 4 on my tv. I can no longer get into the menu to change whichever setting I messed up. And therefore cant do a factory reset either. Is there some way to do a reset without the menu?
post #2986 of 3386 Old 02-08-2014, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerguy View Post

I started a new threadby mistake, so, here is my problem. I just now installed my new 3500stbii wnd wasgetting oretty goo reception on most of the channels. But I was going through the menu and inadvertently changed something that basically caused it not to display on either channel 3 or 4 on my tv. I can no longer get into the menu to change whichever setting I messed up. And therefore cant do a factory reset either. Is there some way to do a reset without the menu?

You can't reset it but here is how to change the setting back.
-Turn it off and then turn it on again.
-After you give it time to be fully booted, press Menu.
-Using the navigation keys do the following: Right, Right, Down 6 itmes, Right (for ch4), Right again (for ch3), Exit
Timerguy likes this.
post #2987 of 3386 Old 02-08-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

All you have to do is load them each on the iview and look at the sw version. It is a quick process.
Yes it was!! Of course, you were right. It came with v9 and that's what the iview d/l showed when I started the upgrade process. I now have v13 on it which was working wonderfully until I screwed up.
post #2988 of 3386 Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM

Quote:

You can't reset it but here is how to change the setting back.
-Turn it off and then turn it on again.
-After you give it time to be fully booted, press Menu.
-Using the navigation keys do the following: Right, Right, Down 6 itmes, Right (for ch4), Right again (for ch3), Exit
Perfect!!!! That did it!!! Thanks so much!!!!!
post #2989 of 3386 Old 02-09-2014, 06:59 AM

Hi. My apologies if this has been asked and answered, but I did a search as best I could through all these posts and could not find it. My issue is with with the remote, and it cropped up a few weeks ago. I have one of the "new" remotes, which I signed up for last year and received in the mail. It had been working just fine until a few weeks ago. Now, the remote does not work unless I put it right up to the unit, about an inch away. I have tried unplugging the unit, and also tried resetting to factory update, and also tried putting in the latest firmware. I also tried refreshing the new remote with fresh batteries. Still, no matter what I try, the remote does not work unless I place it just about an inch away from the unit. The old remote does not appear to work at all. Oh and the other funny thing...when I unplug the unit, give it a wait, and plug it back in, the unit immediately boots up into "on."

Anybody know if this issue is resolvable, or whether or not the problem lies within firmware, remote, or hardware?

Thanks,

sword
post #2990 of 3386 Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM

I have tried to search this thread for time shifting but did not come up with anything relevant. Is time shifting just putting the box into record and pausing the recording?

Thanks

John
post #2991 of 3386 Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcinc View Post

I have tried to search this thread for time shifting but did not come up with anything relevant. Is time shifting just putting the box into record and pausing the recording?

Thanks

John

Well it's not a permanent recording. It pauses live TV and temporarily records so that you can play back using the media control buttons. But the recording is not saved once you exit time shift mode and only the portion within the allotted buffer can be viewed. So you can't go back to the beginning of a two hour show that you've been time shifting unless you actually use record instead of just time shift.
post #2992 of 3386 Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

You said previously it was an OTA signal. If that's the case, virtual and physical firmware does not apply since that is in reference to receiving QAM signals. If you are not on the latest firmware - v13 - try that first. Since this is not a common problem, there is no recommended version to fix it (and we don't know if it will fix it at all) so you will just have to try things out.

This shouldn't cause it but try also changing the audio setting in the menu. I'm not home now to see the exact name of the setting but the one where you can switch between PCM and HDMI raw, etc.

Thanks, I took the upgraded firmware with v13, tried changing the audio settings to every available option, and tested different cables and inputs and still get the lag. The strange thing is that the lag can be worse on some channels than others. I'm convinced it had to do with the way the box is initially tuning in the selected channel. There is almost an acceleration effect with the video while it spools up to normal speed, and it seems to be creating a timing issue with how the audio stream starts.

That could just be an empty theory since I have no other technical knowledge with this sort of thing. Guess I'm alone and out of luck on this one? Purchased from meritline.
post #2993 of 3386 Old 02-11-2014, 07:16 AM

Liked: 16
I had some lag, unplugging for a bit cured it for me. Prob not your solution, but I thought I'd throw it out there.
post #2994 of 3386 Old 02-11-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdole View Post

I had some lag, unplugging for a bit cured it for me. Prob not your solution, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Funny enough I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot when I get home, thanks.
post #2995 of 3386 Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 PM

To go into time shift mode, simply press the pause button on the remote. Live tv will then be paused, and you can continue playing (watching) whenever you wish by pressing the Play button on the remote. Just don't ever press the Stop button, until you are done with time shifting. In time shift mode, there is no permanent recording made. When you press Stop, the whole temporary file is lost forever (as far as I can tell).
post #2996 of 3386 Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxforwardspeed View Post

Funny enough I haven't tried that yet. I'll give it a shot when I get home, thanks.

I have had audio lags at times with the 3500 but more so with the cable company's (WOW) converter.  I just assume it is a lousy cable feed.  I also get drop outs on one cable channel (NBC) that is perfect with the 3500 converter.  Noted a delay of a second or so between a program viewed from the WOW converter and the 3500 with the WOW signal lagging the 3500.

BTW, I am using V7 of the software on cable and it maintains a time setting (some versions reset to 0:00 every time the unit is shut off) so that I can record at delayed times.  If you manipulate the displayed time with the manual time variables (+/- hours or half hours), so that the time is near the actual time, you can set the recording time you want and even enter multiple channels and times and it has been working perfectly.  I have not tried recording on different days yet but I assume as long as you leave the unit on so the day does not reset, you could adjust the day to one or more in the future from the date that is displayed.  The 3500 time and date will just keep advancing.  Sorry if this is a little confusing and obviously nobody that has had trouble recording with a VCR should bother with any of this. LOL I also sometimes do record using my old Sony VCR or onto a DVD with a Lite-On LVW-5005 DVD/CD Recorder.  I can set the time and date to record and just leave the 3500 on the proper channel.  Otherwise I use a Seagate BackUp Plus 1TB hard drive connected to the USB port.. 

post #2997 of 3386 Old 02-12-2014, 03:38 PM

I've had my unit for about 6 months. At first,. when I got it all set it up, I could use USB hard drive and PVR or record. Now, it's been a couple months since I needed to record, but no matter what USB hard drive I plug in, I get "USB device inserted". Then I get "USB device is removed" as soon as I press USB or PVR or any way to access USB.

So 5 different drives that USED to work with this stb.

Any clues?

Jimboha!
post #2998 of 3386 Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboha View Post

I've had my unit for about 6 months. At first,. when I got it all set it up, I could use USB hard drive and PVR or record. Now, it's been a couple months since I needed to record, but no matter what USB hard drive I plug in, I get "USB device inserted". Then I get "USB device is removed" as soon as I press USB or PVR or any way to access USB.

So 5 different drives that USED to work with this stb.

Any clues?

Jimboha!

Jimboha,

The only thing I can think of is to plug in your drive with the unit off, then turn it on.  Then go to the menu screen that will show the attached drives.  See if the drive is listed.  Of course it could just be another unit with a hardware problem. So far I guess I have been lucky.  I have two that seem to work well excepting the typical software issues.

Chemicker

post #2999 of 3386 Old 02-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know if 3500STBII works fine with a USB3 portable drive (no extra power supply). I am tried two different USB3 drives and both seems to have write issue. On playback, the recorded program does not play smooth. First I thought it must be a weak signal. I tested again using a USB3 flash drive and the problem went away. So I thought, maybe, my portable drive is bad. I tried another portable drive and it also had the same problem. Both portable drives are USB3. Nos I am suspecting that it might be dues to USB3 - I think USB3 draws more power on write operation. I don't have any USB2 portable drive to test.

Does anyone have a similar experience ?
post #3000 of 3386 Old 02-13-2014, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
USB3 works fine for me. I think my firmware is V9. I have not changed it.
My drive is a Seagate one, I think 1TB Canvio Basic.
( I also have the HomeWorX HW-150PVR, and I get mixed up on what I connect to what ).
I have no issue with that HomeWorX one either with USB3.
The only problem I have had with either PVR is a 7 minute messed-up time, and it affected both units. Both are OK now.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page