Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrw2 View Post

Heat??

You have done an outstanding job here!

Hey, thanks. No, it shouldn't have been heat related in my case. The original drive I was using since I got the iview was externally powered and my iview always ran cool. I made a point of checking it regularly since others talked about the heat and mine had always run cool, but I'm pretty sure those with heat concerns had usb powered drives. I started experiencing this intermittently about 2 months ago and I though maybe it was a problem with my drive at first. So I kept checking for errors and reformatting in different file systems and from both the iview and from the computer, etc until I ran out of formatting options and my drive still tested error free and this kept happening. The iview was always room temperature feel when I checked it and all the vents are clear.

So I swapped in a different externally powered drive and the same thing kept happening. Then it became more frequent and was happening about every other day. So, I swapped in a usb powered hard drive and same thing. After a few days I went back to using my original external drive since I needed the usb powered one for something else. Eventually it started happening everytime I recorded. I tried some high speed USB 3.0 flash drives and my micro SD card with an adapter which I had previously tested with the iview before and the same thing happened with all of them. So clearly hardware failure in the iview but it doesn't seem heat related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 3679 Old 03-07-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post

Anyone having a problem with the box not cutting itself off after a scheduled recording?  I have it programmed to record a one hour show off free air daily...it came on and recorded the show but did not turn itself off. This happened to me today for the first time.  Any suggestions on a solution to fix this problem?

Was your event spanning midnight? Older versions of the firmware had a midnight bug where it would record indefinitely for events spanning midnight.

post #3063 of 3679 Old 03-07-2014, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Turns out this unit did NOT record the show I had scheduled at all.  It turned the unit on at the correct time and just sat there indefinitely.  I originally thought it recorded the program but just didn't turn the unit off.  I have had this unit for about a week and it worked just fine until today.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

post #3064 of 3679 Old 03-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post

Turns out this unit did NOT record the show I had scheduled at all.  It turned the unit on at the correct time and just sat there indefinitely.  I originally thought it recorded the program but just didn't turn the unit off.  I have had this unit for about a week and it worked just fine until today.  Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That can happen if it gets conflicting time information or can't get time info at all. If it turns on at what it expects to be the recording time but then the station sends it information that is a couple minutes later, it will think the recording is already in the past. Check the time on both the station you left it on before the recording and the station you were recording. This can also happen if it can't get a lock on the channel in time - if the station has weak reception in your home or there is a temporary interference issue that prevents it from locking on and getting the PSIP info in time for the recording to start. The missed recordings can be mitigated by leaving the iview on a known good time channel with good reception and leaving it on all the time.

If it is a station that tunes in multiple times upon first switching to it - meaning it tunes in, goes black, tunes in again, goes black, tunes in again - this will interfere with the recording. This is related to getting PSIP info so if you've very recently been on the channel (how recently varies by station), you will not be able to tell if it is happening. Switch to the channel after you have not been on it for awhile - for mine that means a half hour or so but like I said it varies by station - to check whether this is an issue for the channel you are trying to record or for the channel you left it on before recording. Because of the variability I just mentioned between stations sending new PSIP info, it's easiest just to go through all your channels once when you first turn your TV/iview on for the day (you only have to do this once) to see if it happens on any channels and note them down for future reference. If you find this happens on any of your channels and you want to record that channel, you should leave it on the channel in question before the recording and leave the iview on. Also, if you have any channels with this problem and you want to record another station, you should avoid leaving it on any channel with this problem and then turning the box off.

Sometimes it just happens as a random bug as well. Check the above things and if the problem recurs regularly then try to find what the missed recordings have in common. If it just happens once in awhile with many good recordings in between, then it's just one of those bugs that pops up on this device that you will have to put up with and can't do anything about.
videobruce likes this.
post #3065 of 3679 Old 03-08-2014, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thanks JPRC.  I will check what you suggested, but I do know the receiver is getting 100% signal strength, and the front green light was lit solid the whole time.  Later in the day it did turn on, record, and turn off after recording a different channel.  Maybe it was just a fluke on the first recording!  I'm just wondering if a different firmware would help.  I'm running version 13, and all I do is record off free air.

post #3066 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm getting all flustered here.  I just bought and installed an STB3500II last week.  I scanned the cable channels and only got 4 local channels when I should have gotten 100 or so.  It came with Ver 9 of the code.  I loaded ver 13A today and got 90 channels or which only 50 were visible. After reading a ton of stuff on this forum ... I think I tried everything.  Ver 13A of the code gave me most the channels I wanted to see, but the Prog Guide was useless.  I have Time Warner Cable and the Standard HD package.  Surely there must be a way to sort thru these channels with some level of this code.  I could use some advise here ... I grabbed Ver 9 of the virtual channel code from here and doing a rescan on Auto.  I'll see what I get in a min or so .... I suspect it will be the original 4 channels which showed their OTA channels and the guide worked fine ... problem was I wanted the other channels as well .... :-(

post #3067 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 04:23 PM

As I suspected ... I got the same 4 channels marked with their OTA ID's.  I did a few manual scans at the frequencies I know that CNBC, TVLAND, and the Weather Channels are at ... I marked them, it saved ... but they were not added to the list.  WTH?

post #3068 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Those 50 channels are probably the only ones you can get. The firmware revisions that require PSIP won't work on cable, since your cable feed doesn't have PSIP. If you have a cable box for your TV, your other channels are encrypted, and only a CableCard DVR will be able to record them.
post #3069 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Really?  TWC doesn't support PSIP?  I'll have to look into that.  Why is it that Ver below 13 don't allow me to see these channels?

:mad:

post #3070 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro11p View Post

Really?  TWC doesn't support PSIP?  I'll have to look into that.  Why is it that Ver below 13 don't allow me to see these channels?
mad.gif

Read post 5 where it says Attention CATV Users as to the difference in firmware.

TWC only sends PSIP program data for virtual channels, which is why you get it on v9 and not v13.

Do a manual scan on v13 if you want to get rid of all those unviewable channels.
post #3071 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 333
The iView was designed for OTA and assumes that channels will have PSIP. Most firmware versions ignore channels without PSIP, which is why you can't see them. There are a few firmware versions (marked as "physical" in the list of firmware attachments on the first page of this thread) that will allow you to add channels without PSIP to your channel map, but that won't let you see encrypted channels. I'm surprised the iView can tune any of them, as I thought TWC was encrypting 100% of its channels now.

Cable companies have no reason to supply PSIP, because they expect you to use their CableCard DVRs that use a proprietary guide.
post #3072 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Now this is getting interesting.  If I do a manual scan on Ver 13 and get the channels I want ... I assume that what you are all telling me is that the Guide will not Acknowlege these channels nor will I be able to use the DVR part of this box?  Am I correct here?

post #3073 of 3679 Old 03-11-2014, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro11p View Post

Now this is getting interesting.  If I do a manual scan on Ver 13 and get the channels I want ... I assume that what you are all telling me is that the Guide will not Acknowlege these channels nor will I be able to use the DVR part of this box?  Am I correct here?

If you don't get time info you can't schedule recordings. If you have a channel with time info you can leave it on that channel to start the recording at the right time. Best to not turn off the box. If you have no channels with time then the PVR is only good for manual recording and time shifting.
post #3074 of 3679 Old 03-12-2014, 07:09 AM
QAM

FYI, this may be old news, but iView has posted on their website a NEW firmware update for the 3500STBII dated 3/10/14:

usbupgrade_all_flashAA.bin

Says it's "Version 10/13" (whatever that means?)

Description of update has not changed from V9

it is what it is.... cool.gif
post #3075 of 3679 Old 03-12-2014, 09:39 AM

The 3/10 version is what allowed me to get all the channels that I could not get with the other versions.

post #3076 of 3679 Old 03-12-2014, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post

FYI, this may be old news, but iView has posted on their website a NEW firmware update for the 3500STBII dated 3/10/14:

usbupgrade_all_flashAA.bin

Says it's "Version 10/13" (whatever that means?)

Description of update has not changed from V9

it is what it is.... cool.gif

That's the same as v13 that was posted here months ago. It was originally going to be called v10 but then they released a v12 first. Due to all our justified complaints about the misordered numbering they renamed v10 to v13 before they released it.
post #3077 of 3679 Old 03-13-2014, 01:00 AM

Liked: 13

Hello all

I'm new here and just got my STB3500 setup and read over every post from Dec 2013 to the current post.  I have some info that maybe of some help to some on the OTA CATV channels.

First I only have TWC as internet and my unit came with the v6 Firmware.  I used 3-way splinter  5-900 mhz so I could get the OTC CATV channels as well as still have my Internet.  The scan with v6 did give me some listed channels, but v13a gave me some 150 channels.  But the difference was in the labeling of the channels.  It gave me all those "No Service" channels as well as those "Black" screen channels, people talked about.  I found starting at the bottom of the list, works better for deleting the unwanted ones.  Because as you delete one channel it locks in to the next one above, without having to hit the "ok" button to select the channel.  

All my channel that could be viewed where in the 100 to 120 range.  Some local channels that I can get OTA via antenna where not listed.  Most channels did not have EPG info and those that did only had limited info. So timer function was not going to work.  Channel lock in was not the best, but I knew it was if because even when I tried a cable box from TWC the picture was not the best.  They tried 3 different HD boxes and still the picture was not the best.  Some had ghosting, so I did not keep the service.  My TV tuner locks in the channels with a better picture than using any type of box and labels them mostly correctly as well.

So I use the STB3500 v13a  with an antenna so I can get all my local channels with the EPG so I can record what I want.  Using HDMI output to TV.  My TV has picture in picture as well as all the new inputs.  A 55" Olevia so I can record the programs I want and watch a different channel at the same time.

Just sharing the above because there has been so may people the pass few months with problems with cable OTA selection.

I have not tested my RF pass through to see if I have the problem others have talked about.  And I'm going to see if I can open the .bin file to see what is in it.  I'll let you know if I can and will share if I'm ale to open the file.

post #3078 of 3679 Old 03-13-2014, 01:18 AM

Someone asked about some channels being listed under Radio channel and not being able to see the picture.  I to had that problem using v13a.  Only got sound no picture, it was for "On Demand" channel.  Which I can view and hear with no problem via my TV's tuner.  I can get ABC NBC FOX WGN HLN CSPAN CSPAN2 QVC HSN some local made info channels and PBS which are not my local PBS channels.  Via TWC OTA CATV.

post #3079 of 3679 Old 03-13-2014, 11:36 AM

Why does the recorded programs not display the program name of each recording?

post #3080 of 3679 Old 03-14-2014, 06:52 PM

My Grandpa just bought an iView Digital Converter box, likely this model or one similar.  Unfortunately he has had some trouble setting it up and it looks like he cannot contact the support number for iview until monday, and I live 3 hours away.

Posting in hopes anyone has any idea regarding the issue my grandpa is having.

He said then when he sets it up and turns it on the tv shows the word "boot" for a short period of time and then the tv turns off and says can't detect a signal or something along those lines.

Appreciate any insight I could get regarding this issue.

Thank you. 

post #3081 of 3679 Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevordowdle View Post

My Grandpa just bought an iView Digital Converter box, likely this model or one similar.  Unfortunately he has had some trouble setting it up and it looks like he cannot contact the support number for iview until monday, and I live 3 hours away.

Posting in hopes anyone has any idea regarding the issue my grandpa is having.

He said then when he sets it up and turns it on the tv shows the word "boot" for a short period of time and then the tv turns off and says can't detect a signal or something along those lines.

Appreciate any insight I could get regarding this issue.

Thank you. 

How is he connecting it to his TV? If through RF it sounds like it may have the RF modulator turned off, I believe somewhere in this thread is a post saying what sequence of buttons needs to be pushed to turn the modulator ON if you can't see the screens.

post #3082 of 3679 Old 03-15-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

How is he connecting it to his TV? If through RF it sounds like it may have the RF modulator turned off, I believe somewhere in this thread is a post saying what sequence of buttons needs to be pushed to turn the modulator ON if you can't see the screens.

I think he was doing it through RF, but it sounds like he is going to buy a HDMI cable today to hook it up.  So we'll see how that goes.  Hopefully the correct HDMI setting is already on the remote.

Thanks for your help.

post #3083 of 3679 Old 03-17-2014, 05:35 AM

Please forgive if this is redundant, but this thread is way to long and searching the forum only gets me the first post. After flashing my 3500STB with firmware 6a, it will no longer tune channels after a power off/on cycle. If I disconnect power from the unit, tuning is restored when it powers back up. Feels like the tuner is messed up, and of course I'm two weeks out of full warranty! Any ideas?
post #3084 of 3679 Old 03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holeshot58 View Post

Please forgive if this is redundant, but this thread is way to long and searching the forum only gets me the first post. After flashing my 3500STB with firmware 6a, it will no longer tune channels after a power off/on cycle. If I disconnect power from the unit, tuning is restored when it powers back up. Feels like the tuner is messed up, and of course I'm two weeks out of full warranty! Any ideas?

Try the latest firmware.
post #3085 of 3679 Old 03-19-2014, 03:38 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
The obvious solution is a fan, but there is no switched 12v available, so it would run 24/7 since the 5 & 14 volt lines of the PS are always hot. The only way would be to use a thermistor so the fan only runs when it needs to. Anyone chime in on this?
- Pick up a 5V relay that flips when the 5V supply is turned on. I would also still use the thermistor since I hate fans that are on all the time, but that's me.
post #3086 of 3679 Old 03-19-2014, 03:39 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wish: I want an HDMI audio/video input so I can record from other DVRs to this one.
post #3087 of 3679 Old 03-19-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilKE3FL View Post

Wish: I want an HDMI audio/video input so I can record from other DVRs to this one.
Don't we all. Too many powerful forces will keep that from happening anytime soon here in the US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3088 of 3679 Old 03-19-2014, 09:17 AM

I use an external multi-day timer to run a 3" usb-powered fan to keep the box cool. I program the timer to start/stop on the day/time of my recordings. I turn the fan on manually when I want to watch something. I also have the timer set to turn off at 11pm every night in case I forget. The usb fan uses only 1-2 watts. My wife gets them at a Japanese discount store for about $3. Amazon carries them for about $6.

A powered usb hub plugged directly into the STB and running both the HDD and fan would probably work also.

I also use one to keep my wireless router cool. It plugs directly into the usb port on the router and turns on/off with the router. It's also very quiet.

Regards,
RangerDave
post #3089 of 3679 Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 PM

Remember old TV's without RCA or other connections use the old RF ohm settings. 

Noe: The ohms 75-300 Ohm TV  compared to a 2 Way 5-2050 MHz 1 to 2 Coaxial Splitter for RG6 RG59 Coax Cable HDTV Satellite to one of 5 - 900 Mhz.  5-900 Mhz is the splitter is used for cable OTA and OTA Digital signals from local broadcast stations.

5-900 Mhz splitter is what you need to use.  For OTA digital broadcast into the 3500STB, coaxial output is analog only, like many other types of recorders.  But HDMI and other out puts on the 3500STB appear to send full 1080p to tv

post #3090 of 3679 Old 03-20-2014, 11:40 PM

Note: I find that, the setting on the 3500STB records audio at the setting set for output.  So you may find setting the 3500STB volume mid-high for recording with the newest firmware is better for play back.  I know you may not understand this at first, but 2/3 setting for vol. for recording is best for me.  2/3 vol. works best for my TV vol. settings for other input.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page