iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 103 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #3061 of 4273 Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Make sure you read post #5 and your USB stick is properly formatted (fat32). Nothing else should be on the USB stick. You have to download and unzip the files and copy to your USB stick. There are usually 2 bin files created when you unzip correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4273 Old 03-23-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
iView 3500STBII is listed on Amazon with the feature of 'Closed Captioning'.

Did they really finally add this feature or is it still only on live TV and not recordings?

--
(this space for rent)
post #3063 of 4273 Old 03-23-2014, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

iView 3500STBII is listed on Amazon with the feature of 'Closed Captioning'.

Did they really finally add this feature or is it still only on live TV and not recordings?

It's the same as on the original. All these similar boxes under their various names list CC support and all of them show CC on live TV and record the CC stream. But the recorded captions can only be played back on another device (or possibly if you use some software to take out the CC and then embed it or something similar, but I haven't tried it or looked into it myself since it's easier just to watch it on the computer and I only occasionally have a reason to use CC).
post #3064 of 4273 Old 03-23-2014, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

It's the same as on the original. All these similar boxes under their various names list CC support and all of them show CC on live TV and record the CC stream. But the recorded captions can only be played back on another device (or possibly if you use some software to take out the CC and then embed it or something similar, but I haven't tried it or looked into it myself since it's easier just to watch it on the computer and I only occasionally have a reason to use CC).

So the lie continues. Thank you.
Btw, VLC (VideoLan) will play closed captions without needing to extract and remux.

--
(this space for rent)
post #3065 of 4273 Old 03-25-2014, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a 3500STB (not 3500STBII) a year or two ago when they first came out for $35. I finally got around to putting into service sometime last year. After many frustrating hours trying to "grok" this box I (fortunately) came across this forum and started reading the 3000+(!) entries trying to make some sense of this thing. I just missed out getting a free "new" remote and had to pay for a new one, BFD $10. I am VERY happy with the picture quality.

I'm a longtime lurker on this website.

Videobruce and others, thanks for your tireless work. Why doesn't iview implement more (any) of your and others suggestions?

My unit (on a UPS) locks up requiring power off/on and/or spontaneously reboots (usually while receiving a corrupted OTA signal); upon rebooting, channel 49 (ION) and subchannels (only?!) mysteriously appear in the "Program" list until I manually delete them again. Anyone else have this issue?

I have other issues but I'm tired of ranting now...
This could be such a great box if someone would work on the firmware.
post #3066 of 4273 Old 03-25-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Why doesn't iview implement more (any) of your and others suggestions?
Easy answer; it's only a $40 item, it's not worth it to go farther. I'm really surprised they went as far as they did.
I'm waiting (probably hoping) they follow through with what I was told and plan to introduce a 2nd far more advanced model.

Regarding the ION problem, this is a known issue if you are in a market that has certain extra sub-channels. I forgot the specific details, but it causes problems on some DVR's

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3067 of 4273 Old 03-25-2014, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Easy answer; it's only a $40 item, it's not worth it to go farther. I'm really surprised they went as far as they did.
I'm waiting (probably hoping) they follow through with what I was told and plan to introduce a 2nd far more advanced model.

Regarding the ION problem, this is a known issue if you are in a market that has certain extra sub-channels. I forgot the specific details, but it causes problems on some DVR's

Agree. For $40 you don't get a lot but you do get your $40 worth. Too bad they did not build one with 2 tuners (essentially combine the components or most of them from 2 boxes) and keep RF pass through and sell it for $100 or less and it would be a very very hot item.
post #3068 of 4273 Old 03-27-2014, 11:28 AM

I purchased this device recently and started testing it out.

I wanted to run this in a bedroom setup for his DVR functionality and it seems to work fine over the air but i cannot get any QAM channels to show up from my Cable, none at all, not even encrypted ones, i have Charter Cable and i am not sure if Virtual or Physical, i changed several firmwares and tried dozend of combinations. 

I just cant get any Cable channels to show up ever not even a glimpse. Charter should have Clear QAM but they state that they are transmitted in sub channels and that I have to manually integrate them ( CH 2.1 etc ) here is the article from the Charter Website about it if anyone can make sense of it : 

DigitalSub Channels

Local broadcasters may use their FCC assigned over-the-air digital channel to provide one or more sub-channels beyond their primary channel.  When using a Charter digital receiver or CableCARD enabled device to access any of these channels carried by Charter, simply tune the Charter assigned channel number.  When using a clear QAM tuner in a TV or other device, you would tune the actual physical channel and program number.   Typically to do this, enter the physical channel, a decimal or hyphen, and the program number (e. g. 3.1, 14.2).  This will vary by market, but a channel scan by the TV or other device will determine which ones are available.

Anyone has similar experience ?

Great Device for the price ! and great Post here ! 

Thanks ! 

post #3069 of 4273 Old 03-27-2014, 11:50 AM

To add, i have V13 on but tested all the way down :)

post #3070 of 4273 Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Servantes,

If you have not already done so read post #5 and from 3068 on. You might find the answer to your issues.

I would also advise anyone not using this for OTA but planning to use the IVIEW with cable to DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST on the AVS forum so you know what you are getting yourself into!
post #3071 of 4273 Old 03-27-2014, 12:59 PM

I read Post #5 several times and followed everything exact :) still no luck ! 

I knew what i was getting into, the small investment was worth exploring the realm of "no need to pay a rental fee" 

It was worth a shoot :)

post #3072 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Are you receiving them on other tuners (yours, not theirs)?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3073 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:

Are you receiving them on other tuners (yours, not theirs)?

I do not have any other standalone receivers, i have several tv's who get cabkle directly and have around 80 channels including some HD ones.

Is there a posibility that Charter has no QAM but only  analog ones ?

post #3074 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Those TV's, assuming they are HD, have you connected your CATV feed directly to the RF input and scanned for stations?
The probability would be Charter has no analog, just QAM. wink.gif

post #3075 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 02:26 PM

Quote:

Those TV's, assuming they are HD, have you connected your CATV feed directly to the RF input and scanned for stations?
The probability would be Charter has no analog, just QAM. wink.gif

I feed teh CATV directly into these TV's , one big one is HD and i get HD channels there, most of teh channels are 2.1 / 5.1  so 5 would be SD and 5.1 the HD version of the same channel. Thats why i though it should have QAM but getting not 1 channel with the I-View brough me down crashing with that theory 

to add, these TV's have no Cablecard on, i have anotehr setup with a TIVO and a cable card and another tuner and it works fine, there is a TIER of channels i get only there.

post #3076 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I believe there has been reports of certain cable TV operators doing things differently, causing a situation like yours.

post #3077 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Quote:

I believe there has been reports of certain cable TV operators doing things differently, causing a situation like yours.

Its inconclusive, i researched for days and all i could find about Charter is that they do run Clear QAM, now the exact specs , nowhere to find... 

Now i am wondering, if its all QAM, shouldn i have crystal clear SD and HD reception ? on both TV's i get snowy pictures on some channels sometimes, that sound more like Analog to me ? 

If i have only Analog as per posts = no analog 

Is there a test method to determine what signal i have? ( digital or analog QAM )

post #3078 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked: 850
Quote:
Originally Posted by servantes173 View Post

on both TV's i get snowy pictures on some channels sometimes, that sound more like Analog to me ?

You're right. That's definitely NTSC, not QAM. The iView can't tune such channels.
post #3079 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

You're right. That's definitely NTSC, not QAM. The iView can't tune such channels.

Do you happen to know a box that has similar functions that would be able to tune these ?

post #3080 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

If you want to be able to record them, no. Your best bet would be a VCR in terms of price and simplicity. Other than that, a Hauppauge capture card would be able to record them to your PC.
post #3081 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:

If you want to be able to record them, no. Your best bet would be a VCR in terms of price and simplicity. Other than that, a Hauppauge capture card would be able to record them to your PC.

Thank you, i can confirm there is no box except the Magnavox that can record on HDD, the Magnavox MDR-513H/F7 has a DVD Recorder and a HDD but it does not have a real DVR functionality but may be not so bad ? 

http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/m/mdr513h_f7/mdr513h_f7_dfu_aen.pdf

Why is it here the U.S. so limited ? i would think that there would be a huge audience for these type of devices ? 

I have a friend from germany and he has tons of different DVR's to choose from ? sounds like someone made a good deal with the FCC ?

post #3082 of 4273 Old 03-28-2014, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why is it here the U.S. so limited ? i would think that there would be a huge audience for these type of devices ?

There is no longer a market for those devices, as your cable system is obsolete. Most cable systems are digital now, and yours may switch soon, too.
post #3083 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 12:13 PM

Do any of the firmware versions offer a "Mon-Fri" option to record a show? My "Daily" setting to record Letterman is conflicting with the Sat. 11:30 time slot to record SNL??
post #3084 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngbm4el View Post

Do any of the firmware versions offer a "Mon-Fri" option to record a show? My "Daily" setting to record Letterman is conflicting with the Sat. 11:30 time slot to record SNL??

No. The only thing you can do is create 5 weekly programs for each day of letterman and then one weekly for SNL.
post #3085 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 01:16 PM

good idea,
thanks
post #3086 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I checked with a new LED TV that arrived today and found out that my cable carries 80 NTSC Analog Channels and 75 Clear QAM ones, i called Charter and talked to a tech and he confirmed that they have and will leave on NTSC and QAM.

So why cant i get any QAM channels to show ? The previous statement where i found only fuzzy Analog channels was done by an much older TV who has only NTSC in but no QAM

post #3087 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 207
^ some clear QAM simply doesn't work with the 3500. Simple as that. When I first brought this up in the thread I got the same story that I must have old analog channels, but I knew this wasn't the case. After all some of the ClearQAM channels include many full HD Channels.

So even though my Sony TV tuner picks them up fine, it was always a mystery why the 3500 could not.

Since then, I've tried a HDhomerun Dual which picked up the HD ClearQAM channels fine, as did the Philips DVR 5710.
post #3088 of 4273 Old 03-29-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

^ some clear QAM simply doesn't work with the 3500. Simple as that. When I first brought this up in the thread I got the same story that I must have old analog channels, but I knew this wasn't the case. After all some of the ClearQAM channels include many full HD Channels.

So even though my Sony TV tuner picks them up fine, it was always a mystery why the 3500 could not.

Since then, I've tried a HDhomerun Dual which picked up the HD ClearQAM channels fine, as did the Philips DVR 5710.

Thank you ! 

Its too bad, i would be ok if i would at least get 1 channel, i like the functionality of it, i have Tivo's and i though i will be able to get rid of them, tired of paying them a fee for Programming that could be free, it looks like i have no other option then to run Computers with Cable Cards and a Media Center, i wanted to avoid that...

The little device is still pretty good for ATSC ... maybe i am lucky and we get a firmware that will work for me :)

post #3089 of 4273 Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 AM
Thread Ender

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:

Thank you ! 

Its too bad, i would be ok if i would at least get 1 channel, i like the functionality of it, i have Tivo's and i though i will be able to get rid of them, tired of paying them a fee for Programming that could be free, it looks like i have no other option then to run Computers with Cable Cards and a Media Center, i wanted to avoid that...

The little device is still pretty good for ATSC ... maybe i am lucky and we get a firmware that will work for me smile.gif

Wow.. we need to get this added to the DVR Comparison thread. TiVo charging a fee for Programming! Outrageous! There oughta be a law!! rolleyes.gif

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
post #3090 of 4273 Old 03-30-2014, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:

Thank you ! 

The little device is still pretty good for ATSC ... maybe i am lucky and we get a firmware that will work for me smile.gif

Wow.. we need to get this added to the DVR Comparison thread. TiVo charging a fee for Programming! Outrageous! There oughta be a law!! rolleyes.gif

I know you know WS but for the OP, I haven't payed a fee(monthly that is) for my Tivo for the last 5 years, just payed $550 upfront(box + lifetime) for a wonderful DVR that NEVER needs babysitting, it just works! I supplement it with my little iView for a third tuner when the need arises but it's quite painful programming and searching with the iView compared to my Tivo. Also for what ever reason I bet 20% of the events I program with my iView just don't record :( I always use the iView for my least important event, that way if(and when) it fails I'm not so bummed out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page