17Likes

post #3151 of 3509 Old 04-21-2014, 10:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post

some clear QAM simply doesn't work with the 3500. Simple as that.

So even though my Sony TV tuner picks them up fine, it was always a mystery why the 3500 could not.

Greetings all, I've been searching and searching but I'm not quite finding the info I need.  I believe I might be SOL, but I figured I would ask just in case my search-fu is not up to snuff.

Background:

I work for a small rural telco that has just entered the IPTV arena.  All of our content from the head-end is being trans-coded to h.264 for efficient use of our transport bandwidth.

In order to bring content into a hospital for a customer, we are using a Harmonic NSG9K-6G to convert licensed multicast content into ClearQAM.  I found out the hard way that most older TVs don't support h.264 decoding, so as a band-aid solution we've deployed about 80 of these iview boxes on TVs that don't like mpeg4.

Everything is working great for all channels except for one.  23-8 seems to drop out constantly and at random intervals.  I've tested it with a Samsung smart tv and it works great.  I've double and triple checked every setting for this channel from the NSG all the way back to the head-end, and nothing is different for this particular channel vs the others that work.

For troubleshooting I might try and move the channel to a different location to see if the problem follows, but if that works, I'll have to re-tune the 80 boxes, ... and I'd really like to avoid that if possible.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.  In the meantime I'll keep searching.

~ Allen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 3509 Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 293
You'll be hard-pressed to find anyone who can provide you with extra information, because ATSC uses only MPEG-2, even though MPEG-4 is suppported by the standard. To my knowledge you're the first person to confirm that the iView can even tune H.264 over QAM at all. It's useful knowledge for us, but I think you actually have more experience with the matter than we do at this point. redface.gif
post #3153 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Hello.  I'm new to the forum.  I just got my 3500STB on Saturday with the intent of pulling in some clear QAM channels on a TV in the basement.  I've attempted to load both v13 and v7 and have had no success.

First of all when the USB stick is in the device and I go to Software Update, I see the USB being accessed (lights up) but the iView menu will say it doesn't indicate the USB is in the box.  So, it took me 2-3 times taking it out and putting it back in before it finally recognizes it.  Once it recognizes the USB, it tells me "Can not find the upgrade file."  (I guess the Chinese don't know that "cannot" is one word!)  :)

Anyway, the USB was blank and in the FAT32 format.  I'm going to try another USB but I'm worried because more times than not it won't even recognize it in the box.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Bird. 

post #3154 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM

Liked: 11
Hello - I've read the iView 3500 DVR creates files with the .MTS extension. Can anyone tell me if it can play back files with a .TS extension? I have a library of programs/files I've recorded with the MyHD card that all have a .TS extension and am wondering if the iView can support playback of these files? Thanks, Andre'
post #3155 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Smith View Post

Hello - I've read the iView 3500 DVR creates files with the .MTS extension. Can anyone tell me if it can play back files with a .TS extension? I have a library of programs/files I've recorded with the MyHD card that all have a .TS extension and am wondering if the iView can support playback of these files? Thanks, Andre'

Yes. It will show them under the Movie section.
post #3156 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 12:00 PM

Thanks for the reply, jprc. It does look like this DVR has a lot going for it. Do you have any regrets after purchasing this product?
post #3157 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird85 View Post

Hello.  I'm new to the forum.  I just got my 3500STB on Saturday with the intent of pulling in some clear QAM channels on a TV in the basement.  I've attempted to load both v13 and v7 and have had no success.

First of all when the USB stick is in the device and I go to Software Update, I see the USB being accessed (lights up) but the iView menu will say it doesn't indicate the USB is in the box.  So, it took me 2-3 times taking it out and putting it back in before it finally recognizes it.  Once it recognizes the USB, it tells me "Can not find the upgrade file."  (I guess the Chinese don't know that "cannot" is one word!)  smile.gif

Anyway, the USB was blank and in the FAT32 format.  I'm going to try another USB but I'm worried because more times than not it won't even recognize it in the box.

Thanks ahead of time for any advice.

Bird. 

Try a different stick. Reformat (keep it FAT32). Re-download file. Extract. Make sure only the .bin file is on the USB stick. Make sure the file name has no spaces in it.

As far as the box not recognizing the USB is attached, while many people have experienced this on occasion and fixed with a reboot or unplug, if it happens repeatedly and with multiple devices you may either have a loose port or your port may be defective. My port finally died and I can use the box as a converter only now for an old analog TV.

After all this you may or may not get your QAM stations anyway. So if you think you need to replace it because of a defective port, best to try everything to get the software loaded and see if it even tunes them in first or you may just want to return it instead of get a replacement.
post #3158 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 12:30 PM

Thanks jprc!

post #3159 of 3509 Old 04-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the reply, jprc. It does look like this DVR has a lot going for it. Do you have any regrets after purchasing this product?

Ha. Yes I have had lots of regrets but I bought this right after it came out before the first software update when it was nearly non-functional for me. You wouldn't have to deal with the worst of that anymore.

Many people are happy enough with it for the price. It depends on what you want to use it for and also partially on luck. I personally would not buy it again. Several people have bought second and third boxes however. When it works it does do a lot for the price. Or it may not do what you want at all or may fail within months.

It has a lot of quirks. If it performs the main functions that you want, I would overlook those for the low price. The box had been a lot more trouble than it was worth to me. I would not (and did not when I needed a new box) repurchase. That doesn't mean others shouldn't purchase. It is far cheaper than alternatives and you may want to give it a try. If you don't encounter major problems, you may be very happy with it. Buy from a place with good return policy if you don't want to potentially lose your money.

Also, like I just mentioned in my last post, my usb port died and I can no longer record or timeshift so I no longer have a use for it on my HDTV and just have it hooked up as a convertor box for an old analog CRT. The warranty service is too expensive to justify using it for this device.
post #3160 of 3509 Old 04-23-2014, 08:53 AM

There are a couple of people within the last couple days that posted about ClearQAM issues. I support the ClearQAM system for a University and we lend out these boxes to those who have TVs that don't work with our system. In order to get it to work with our system, I had to try multiple versions of the Firmware. The version that works best for us is V13 (see the first few messages of this thread to download them). We have an occasional problem where the box tunes to a channel and a few seconds later renumbers the channel to channel 7.1. This results in many of the channels being labeled as 7.1, but you still can channel up and channel down and the channels are in the correct order.
post #3161 of 3509 Old 04-23-2014, 09:27 AM

jprc - Is there a similar device you would recommend over the iView?
post #3162 of 3509 Old 04-23-2014, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jprc - Is there a similar device you would recommend over the iView?

No. Out of all the similar devices your best bets are this iView or the Homeworx 150, which only have slight differences between them. Other than that you jump into a whole different class of product and different price range.

Here's a DVR thread you might want to take a look at that videobruce also started: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1460149/2014-list-of-consumer-available-dvrs/
post #3163 of 3509 Old 04-23-2014, 04:55 PM

Thanks again jprc - that is a very informative thread. The ultimate device I'm looking for has all the features of the iView, plus a built-in hard drive, and an RJ-45/network jack, so I could play the recorded files over a network.
post #3164 of 3509 Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The TViX is the only one (aside from TiVo) with any ability to play files over a LAN.
post #3165 of 3509 Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

The TViX is the only one (aside from TiVo) with any ability to play files over a LAN.

Tablo? Although it has other shortcomings, like the inability to play files via HDMI or Component directly to the primary display . . .

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #3166 of 3509 Old 04-24-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Tablo is an autonomous capture card, not a DVR, AFAIK. It makes it easy to stream, but you're streaming the files it transcodes, not the original audio and video sent by the broadcaster, which is what a DVR would record.
post #3167 of 3509 Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 PM

This is probably not correct forum etiquette, but I couldn’t figure out how to search for member Locations. Is anyone in the Portland Oregon (PDX) area using one of these iView 3500’s OTA to successfully record the local ABC broadcast? This would be KATU-HD 2.1. I have literally hundreds of successful timer recordings over the last 8 months on the local OTA CBS (KOIN 6.1) and NBC (KGW 8.1) stations. 95% of the time I can’t make a timer recording on ABC. All three broadcast channels have signal strength in the 90’s. I don’t record much on ABC, but I have to keep another recorder just for ABC. I have watched the missed recordings happen; the iView turns on a couple of minutes early to allow for boot time, verifies a USB drive is attached, switches to ABC (2.1) – but then just stays in tuner mode. The recording never starts. I had been using a Magnavox mdr533 for the ABC recorder, then moved to the Philips hdr5710 hoping it would be a single HD solution to having two recorders. The Philips is at best a marginal backup unit. I should note that the Magnavox or the Philips have never missed a timer recording on ABC. Hopefully somebody in this area has an iView 3500, monitors this forum, and has tried a few recordings on the local ABC. Is it just my iView that has a problem? A pm mail would help keep the forum traffic down. Thanks.
post #3168 of 3509 Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84

You could also try your local Portland OTA thread here:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/168423/portland-or-hdtv/8640

I had a similar issue with a channel local to my market, WCCO CBS. I'd occasionally miss a event or it would end up being short. It finally got to the point where it didn't record at all, the channel disappeared from the scan list. I tried a manual channel add to no avail, a total scan as well as a unplug of my iView, nothing let me get the channel. I should note I have several other tuners(TVs, Tivo, etc.) hooked to the same antenna and other than the occasional blip they got WCCO just fine, 80-90% signal strength. This weekend I moved my attic antenna about 5 degrees(hardly anything) and finally after a channel scan I now get WCCO, and no blips on my other devices.

Guess what I'm saying is you might want to try and re orientate your antenna if possible, for the most part my iView tuner seems to do a good job but for what ever reason it must have been more prone to multipath issues than my other tuners.

You did a good job of describing how a event starts, the iView turns on about 1 minute prior to an event, powers up USB HDD and tunes to the correct channel, at the start time it starts recording to the USB HDD and at the end of the event it shuts off the USB as well as the iView turns off. It's possible if something wrong is detected during the warm up period it may not start the recording.

post #3169 of 3509 Old 04-28-2014, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Try your local reception thread. wink.gif

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3170 of 3509 Old 04-30-2014, 12:25 AM
Advanced Member

I initially noticed the time of the recording to be off (but after a quick skim of the previous posts here -- no I didn't read all 105 pages of comments) .. it seems the timer for the recording seems dependant on the channel which the iView is on (some channels can be off with their time by a great deal .. our local PBS is way off by over 1 min) .. I too have also noticed the sensitivity/touchiness of the channel scan (at one point I had 60 channels now I am down to 40 ). I am trying using a powered hub with my external hard drive and it seems to be working out well . (no missed recordings yet) .. I know there have been previous posts on this topic so I thought I would give it a try as well. (I am using a 2.5" usb3 bus powered hard drive).
post #3171 of 3509 Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 PM

Hello all, long time lurker but joined because I have a question (and thanks for the firmware updates!).  I have a 3500stb, have had it since the beginning (march 2013) and it's worked well for the most part.  But something odd has happened that I need everyone's input on.  In my area we do have clear QAM on my cable system, last night it just stopped working.  I've checked other QAM tuners, working fine so I know it's not the cable co.  I can get over-the-air with the 3500stb, that works fine, but when using QAM all I'm getting is "no signal".

I've since tried software upgrades all of them in fact, but same issue, nothing on QAM!   Has anyone had this unit just stop working for QAM?   Also, another question is which unit is better the original 3500stb or the newer 3500stb II?    Thanks in advance for any help!

post #3172 of 3509 Old 05-04-2014, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

1. Check your cables and confirm signal with another good tuner (TV, etc.),
2. Try connecting it in another location,
3. Do a rescan,
4. Check to see if the mode was switched from CATV to Air.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #3173 of 3509 Old 05-04-2014, 03:14 PM

1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything.

2. Checked another location with 3500stb, same result, no QAM tuning.

3. Have re-flashed and tried all firmware versions on this site, and rescanned everytime (After doing factory reset), nothing worked.

4. Did check and no was in Cable mode not air.

This unit will pickup all known channels over the air, but has stopped picking up any QAM channels.  Doesn't make sense to me since it's the same tuner, very strange. Have even unplugged the unit for awhile, plugged it back in, same result.  It just stopped picking up QAM channels the other day.   Has this happened to anyone here before?  Didn't have time to scan 100+ pages, did search but didn't find anything.

Also..what are the differences between the original 3500stb and the newer 3500stb II?  Is the newer one better? older one better? 

post #3174 of 3509 Old 05-05-2014, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

AFAIK, the difference is just the far better remote.

post #3175 of 3509 Old 05-05-2014, 03:47 PM

Thanks for the reply!  Looks like this unit just decided to give up on the ability to tune QAM channels.  So it lasted 13 months and that was it.  Still will work for OTA channels, just decided against QAM.   Oh well, have to buy something else.  Not sure if I will give the iView another chance since now they say $20 to pay for return shipping if it's defective under the warranty.  That's pretty sad, as other warranties for PVR/STB's like this only require the customer to ship it to them, then they pay to ship it back as it's under warranty.  So off I go to look at something else.   Thanks though for the input!:)

post #3176 of 3509 Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Danshane,

I had only had it a week. I decided that the problem was most likely the older USB (PATA) hard drive & USB box. I went out & bought a new 2TB USB 2/3 drive and have not had this problem since.

Other problems I'll be posting soon that I've had and need more time to really characterize them but I have the basics and others may be able to enlighten me as to the possible cause and any remedies if available.

Thanks! (original posting 4/1/14)
post #3177 of 3509 Old 05-06-2014, 09:28 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Interesting problems I'm noticing.

1. I've never been able to see more than 12 hours of programming on any channel and most of the time considerably less than that.

2. I've noticed that many times when trying to save a timer it tells me that there is a conflict with item 01 in the timer schedule. Even if I'm recording a different channel, different time, different day, and different show title. If I delete the program in slot 01 it continues to tell me there is a conflict with the program in slot 01. There is probably a conflict with one of the already added timers but it gives the wrong one most of the time. I always have to find it myself.

3. Sometimes I've gotten a recording stated to be from the correct station, the correct day, the correct time, yet it is NOT the program that was in fact playing on that station, day, and time. This was confirmed by my wife watching the correct station, time, day, and program on a different TV while the iView was supposed to be recording the show for me to watch later. This timer worked fine the first week, then 2nd week it recorded nothing, there was no show of that name on that week, the third week it worked fine and the fourth week it recorded the wrong show. I don't have any idea how it did that.
post #3178 of 3509 Old 05-07-2014, 08:16 AM

I just got my 2nd Iview today. I was trying to upgrade the firmware. It went through the blue screen and started to reboot. It had the dashes across the leds when the cat unplugged it. Now I get nothing. Did I brick the thing? Any suggestions? HELP... LOL!

post #3179 of 3509 Old 05-07-2014, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

1. Check your cables and confirm signal with another good tuner (TV, etc.),
2. Try connecting it in another location,
3. Do a rescan,
4. Check to see if the mode was switched from CATV to Air.

VB, just to follow up and let you and everyone else know that a problem WAS found after all.   Turns out that some contractor decided to make some more $$$ on the side and put filters on incoming cable tv lines, blocking all tv channel frequencies!   Even though everyone was already paying for tv service!   I was able to catch a local cable tech while he was in the neighborhood and told him of my issues.   He opened up the access box and there it was!  Filters on all the lines! Tech removed all the filters, and no more problems!  I've suspected for a long time that some contractor was screwing with the system to make more money by messing with the system.  The tech was making a report to his boss, and I'll definitely be following up with the local office.

But the 3500stb was not to blame (and it's not defective after 13 months of use), that's why it was able to still pick up over-the-air signals, the tuner was NOT bad at all!  I had flashed to v13 firmware, and am experimenting with all the versions to see which one I like the most.  Still able to work with QAM signals on my system, no problems. Tuner is working well now.    Thought everyone would like to know how it all turned out.

post #3180 of 3509 Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM

You previously stated:
"1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything."

What kind of a filter only blocks the iView but not your other good tuner?!!!!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page