post #3181 of 3384 Old 05-07-2014, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfahill View Post

You previously stated:
"1. Did already check with a known good digital (QAM) tv tuner, am getting signal from cable co, using same cables (as was inputted into the 3500stb), even substituted new cables same result (received signal for known good tuner, 3500stb says it sees "no signal" for anything."

What kind of a filter only blocks the iView but not your other good tuner?!!!!

I'm glad you brought that up, forgot to mention that in my last post!  You're right it doesn't make sense!  Here is what happened... All the frequencies were blocked where the cable co was carrying the tv signals.  The other tuner was found to be tuning over the air signals not QAM! Later after my first post,  switched it over to QAM there also was no signal.  The next day I found a cable tech at a neighbors house and asked him to check out my place.  Then found some rogue contractor who was putting filters on paying customer's incoming cable lines. I've been in touch with the higher ups at the cable company and they're investigating this.  This isn't the first time we've had trouble here, looks like some contractor trying to keep himself in business by creating problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 3384 Old 05-07-2014, 07:27 PM

I think I may have just bricked my new 3500STBII. I updated the firmware. It went through the "Upgrading Software Do Not Turn Off". But after that screen it just went blank and now I have 4 red dashes and the Green Signal light on. I cannot get it to do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

post #3183 of 3384 Old 05-07-2014, 10:28 PM

I know with computer upgrades that flash (program) the firmware, if the power is lost during that the only way is to pull the prom (programmable read only memory) chip and replace it with a known good one that has been flashed (programmed) on a prom burner.  Do you have it hooked up via the composite video output?  If not, try that. After I've flashed mine, the screen turns black, the system reboots/restarts, the iview logo shows, then it'll go into the tuning mode.  Then the programming is done.   hmm..  If it's hooked up via the composite (regular rca video) video and it's working you should see something.  If not I'm afraid it's what they call "bricked"  and needs more equipment than you probably have to fix it.  Sorry to say :( 

post #3184 of 3384 Old 05-08-2014, 05:29 AM

No power was lost. The crazy thing is, this is my second firmware upgrade that failed. I have upgraded firmware on many things in my lifetime (network engineer), but I have never had trouble like this. 

I have it connected to HDMI. I'll connect it to composite and see if it is there. 

post #3185 of 3384 Old 05-08-2014, 06:49 AM

ahh yeah then being in IT you definitely know how to flash firmware.  hmm.. no power loss.  I'm wondering if you had the usb drive fat32 formatted? I was hearing it liked fat32 as the file system on the usb drive.  well check out the composite output maybe that still works, I know with the newer firmware versions it also sets the antenna output to channel 3 by default.  Might check the antenna output to channel 3 see if you can see something there, at least enough to re-flash it.

post #3186 of 3384 Old 05-09-2014, 06:41 AM

I tried coax. No go. :(    I rebooted it, and it will not even power on (no dashes).

post #3187 of 3384 Old 05-09-2014, 09:30 AM

I just had the same problem. Updated using v13a and it killed the iview. No power whatsoever. Just dead. Anybody have any ideas?

post #3188 of 3384 Old 05-09-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneheadlight View Post

ahh yeah then being in IT you definitely know how to flash firmware.  hmm.. no power loss.  I'm wondering if you had the usb drive fat32 formatted? I was hearing it liked fat32 as the file system on the usb drive.  well check out the composite output maybe that still works, I know with the newer firmware versions it also sets the antenna output to channel 3 by default.  Might check the antenna output to channel 3 see if you can see something there, at least enough to re-flash it.

My usb drive is FAT32. 

post #3189 of 3384 Old 05-14-2014, 04:32 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styx N Stones View Post

I just got my 2nd Iview today. I was trying to upgrade the firmware. It went through the blue screen and started to reboot. It had the dashes across the leds when the cat unplugged it. Now I get nothing. Did I brick the thing? Any suggestions? HELP... LOL!

Contact iView, support@iviewus.com - I worked on some embedded satellite software as a consultant adding some code for a feature the customer wanted. The code grew so large that one day when I uploaded it to the simulator I could no longer upload another version. It turned out that the boot loader had been over written.

If iView did not make the boot loader something in ROM but rather something like this sat which was loaded every time the software is updated, then yes you could have bricked it by it not getting at least the boot loader in before the cat pulled the plug. Only an email to iViewus will tell us for sure.

Good-luck & keep us posted!
post #3190 of 3384 Old 05-14-2014, 04:40 AM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
The Remote Control Fix, that you can do!

In thinking about the remote control directionality problem I decided last night to try a simple experiment that I've used for a number of other LED projects where the light coming out of the LED was too directional. I placed a small diffuser in front of the LED, thus causing the IR light to spread out a bit more than it did with the lens type LED used. The diffuser I used was a simple piece of clear, write-on type, cellophane tape. The LED in the iView remote is recessed a bit so the tape never touched the LED surface and it worked like a charm! I was even able to point the remote towards the ceiling and it still controlled the iView box every time.

Give it a try and let me know if it works for you. Oh, one piece of advice, the remote will probably not work with batteries as low in voltage as is used to with this modification. By diffusing the light it means any light getting into the iView receiver is weaker than it used to be since the same amount of light is now diffused into a larger area so that at least some of it will get into the iView receiver. With the light more directional, with just the LED lens, it was a stronger signal when we could get it into the correct location on the receiver, with it more diffused it is weaker but some of the light seems to get into the receiver no matter how badly the remote is aimed at the box. So with less light getting to the box the batteries will need to be in somewhat better condition to still produce enough light in this diffused condition to allow control of the box.

It is too soon for me to tell any difference in lowest usable voltage, but then I haven't even had my iView long enough to go through one set of batteries so I have no idea how weak the batteries would get before they couldn't control the box without a diffuser. If you have that information please post it and then see how it works with the diffuser and weak batteries. How weak is too weak? What is the lowest usable voltage without the diffuser and with a diffuser?

Just another note here, every receiver (iView box) and transmitter (iView remote) is different, so your lowest voltage may be higher or lower than someone else's.

Enjoy!
videobruce likes this.
post #3191 of 3384 Old 05-14-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilKE3FL View Post

Contact iView, support@iviewus.com - I worked on some embedded satellite software as a consultant adding some code for a feature the customer wanted. The code grew so large that one day when I uploaded it to the simulator I could no longer upload another version. It turned out that the boot loader had been over written.

If iView did not make the boot loader something in ROM but rather something like this sat which was loaded every time the software is updated, then yes you could have bricked it by it not getting at least the boot loader in before the cat pulled the plug. Only an email to iViewus will tell us for sure.

Good-luck & keep us posted!

The unit took the firmware upgrade, then rebooted, had the - - - - dashes accross the LEDs when the power went out. It just hadnt finished rebooting yet. Anyway that was 2 units in one month so they both went back to Amazon. Shame...I really liked that unit, but no way I drop any more money to try a third one...

post #3192 of 3384 Old 05-14-2014, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
FWIW, I also bought a 3500STBii from Amazon about a month ago. After a couple weeks I updated the firmware from v9 to v13 (hated the translucent menus). It was successful and even though it went quickly the process was somewhat unsettling - it didn't "feel" all that clean/smooth and for a moment I thought it would fail, but it did work. Weird to see recent reports of failures. Scanning through this thread these past few months, I don't recall any previous reports but I might have missed them.
post #3193 of 3384 Old 05-14-2014, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 105
PhilKE3FL;
The biggest problem with this and just about all of these DVR's is no one knows who writes the firmware. It isn't the importer. I believe, especially in this case it is the manufacture of the SoC; MStar. Considering there are so many variations of this DVR under a slue of names, all of those companies can't have independent 3rd parties writing code on their own.
There is no direct contact with this/these unknown mystery parties by the importers. This hurts everyone.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3194 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 05:15 PM

Liked: 11

Hello

I have the same problem that some people had before. My 3500STBII does not found any channel (Cable/AIR).

My firmware version is V2 (20140507), I checked the IVEW web site in order to download a new firmware, however there is a warning that says READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.

My problem is that my unit has CH3/4 switch, for this reason I can not upgrade my box.

I would be greatful if someone could tell me what firmaware version I can use in my unit.

Can I use V13?

Thanks in advance for your help

videobruce likes this.
post #3195 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Well that was not on their website when I downloaded it. Oh well.

post #3196 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Could someone please post a picture of the back of the new version box with the ch 3/4 switch, a picture of the system info screen of V2, and if possible a picture of the inside board, I want to see how it relates to the sunkey sk-903 version.

The sunkey sk-903h, ikonvert sc-57, lutema airtv, axess cb-3001, qfx cv-100, proscan / sylvania / curtis pat-102.
post #3197 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo7 View Post

Hello

I have the same problem that some people had before. My 3500STBII does not found any channel (Cable/AIR).

My firmware version is V2 (20140507), I checked the IVEW web site in order to download a new firmware, however there is a warning that says READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.

My problem is that my unit has CH3/4 switch, for this reason I can not upgrade my box.

I would be greatful if someone could tell me what firmaware version I can use in my unit.

Can I use V13?

Thanks in advance for your help

I think you should contact them directly and ask if you don't want to brick it. I think this explains why people have been suddenly killing their boxes with upgrades when it had never happened even once before.
post #3198 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 06:58 PM

Here are, sorry for the picture's quality

post #3199 of 3384 Old 05-15-2014, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, Could you please also get a picture of the other end of the black and red power supply wires, I would like to know if this new board is running on 5v only now.

Where and what seller did you purchase this new version iview from?

What is written on the main board next to the black and red wires? I can't make it out in the picture, Is it some like AC_37XX or 7816
post #3200 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 04:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Gordo7;
Thanks for the heads up. Apparently the problem with using the RF out wasn't solved by changeing that default output setting.

satpro;
What is this jack??

Post 5 updated.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #3201 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

satpro;
What is this jack??

That's the USB. I don't have one - I just looked at the pictures on amazon of the back of the box.
post #3202 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Who's box is that?? confused.gif
Link?

post #3203 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Who's box is that?? confused.gif
Link?

Sunkey - http://www.amazon.com/Sk-903h-Digital-Broadcast-Converter-Control/dp/B00E0MB1A2
post #3204 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 06:11 AM

I believe you're correct; the manufacturer usually releases a SDK, which iView (or Mediasonic, Stellar Labs, etc.) can use to produce a firmware to their liking.
post #3205 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post 5 updated.

I see you updated that V3 iview now has the ch 3/4 switch

for record keeping could you update that in V2 the usb 5V was wired directly to powersupply.

By the looks of it they went back to powering the usb off the board in V3 like V1.

It looks like in the V3 board picture I see 4 wires going from usb port to main board like in V1.

iview V2 usb power config

modification.

post #3206 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

jprc;
Doesn't look like the Sunkey is as good. It's reported it doesn't work when it is cloudy! biggrin.gif
(Gotta love some of Amazon reviews, almost as good as Newegg.)

satpro;
What is the Power On/Off menu entry about?

Quote:
The sunkey has the ch 3/4 switch. The sunkey board is used for the axess cb-3001, lutema airtv, ikonvert supersonic sc-57, sunkey sk-903h, and I suspect also the qfx cb-100, it uses the same remote and code as a naxa nt-52 and stellar labs DT-1200.
I'm amazed the vast number of 'offshoots' that use this MStar chip. eek.gif

post #3207 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't used the power on/off but I assume it is to turn on the tuner at a certain time each morning on whatever channel you left it on. The naxa has the power 1/0 screen and that is how it works. Now how this differs from the timer is another question. Kind of redundant, I don't have the sk-903h Lutema AirTV box any more but I will have an axess cb-3001 soon for testing again. The problem with the 5v sunkey boxes besides the firmware development being way behind homeworx and iview is that the plastic chassis does not draw and conduct heat away from the board or main chip, even though the power supply is external which I prefer, the heat underneath the cpu with the heatsink on top is going to be a problem in the long run, and even if you add larger feet to raise the sunkey it still feels too hot compared to the 12v external power supply metal chasis naxa or even the boxes that have internal power supplies.

Yeah these reviewers are something, the 250 ematic at103b reviews at walmart are the same. Half are people saying they are elderly and the other half are ones asking if the antenna is built in.

The usb mod pictures are for the iview 3500stbii from the fall 2013 (not the 3500stb V1 and not this new one), I show how it comes from the factory wired off the power supply, then I show my mod which allowed the usb power to be shut off when you pressed the power button on the front panel or the remote otherwise it would stay on 24/7 as long as the box was plugged in to the electric. I just happen to have the right size VH type connector pin to make the mod because I salvaged it off an old computer board/cable. The pin on the 5v line that connected to the PS was larger different. I kept the original pin intact inside the heat shrinked area between the black and red wires.
This new Spring 2014 version with the ch 3/4 switch appears to go back to the V1 way of powering the 5V off the switched main board and not the unswitched power supply
videobruce likes this.
post #3208 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 08:04 AM

Satpro. I will upload power supply picture and some details tonight, sorry but now I dont have available my box here.

Regarding where and when I purchased this box, was two weeks ago in Amazon web site.

If someone knows what Firmware version I can use, please let me know I really appreciate your help.

regards

post #3209 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
the other half are ones asking if the antenna is built in.
I love the ones that didn't know any of these need an antenna. rolleyes.gif

To be clear, this USB mod has to do with the iView's, not the others?

post #3210 of 3384 Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

If that jack is 'hot' when the box in in standby, that wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe that's why they changed back.

Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page