iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 108 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 116Likes

post #3211 of 5042 Old 05-31-2014, 01:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Glad to hear it Bigham! How did you fix the problem?

Truck? What truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 07:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Ok, so I got a new unit and didn't bother to check for the CH. 3/4 switch (which it has) or read the instructions that were clearly posted here and I updated the firmware and killed the unit. Is it toast or is there any way to uninstall the firmware? The unit won't power up at all. I'm thinking it's back to Amazon......

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Kind Regards.

W-

post #3213 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked: 254
Which firmware version?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

post #3214 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 03:53 PM

The latest. V13a_122713

I had no idea a newer unit was even offered.. It is the same model number as the one I purchased last year. (which worked great but died for no apparent reason). So I just installed the firmware, which killed the unit.

Thanks for any help.

William

post #3215 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

You say it killed the unit. What is it doing or not doing now?

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #3216 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 06:20 PM

It won't even power up. No lights whatsoever. After installing the firmware there were several led lines across the front. I waited forever and nothing happened so I unplugged it. I plugged it back in and got nada. Is there anyway to reset it back to factory default?

I cant be but probably am the only person do experience this. lol

Cheers,

Will

post #3217 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I bought a NAXA digital tuner / dvr several months ago from FRYS but had to return it because it got too hot and kept on losing the "Pacific Time" Setting, then a week ago, bought a Digitrex tuner with NO dvr, same problem with IT getting too hot and also losing time. The same company that makes the NAXA tuners also makes Digitrex tuners; I will see if this is any different when I get my IVIEW tuner / dvr from Solid Signal. Wish me luck. Please E-mail me at jesuschrysler1@live.com. Thank you

post #3218 of 5042 Old 06-09-2014, 08:40 PM

Plug it into your navel and it will work> BAZINGA.

post #3219 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter

^ confused.gif ^

post #3220 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 AM

The navel trick didnt work so I ordered another one form Amazon for 32.50 and its the older version w/o the Ch. switch. The older version can pick up different channels with the same frequency and then you can delete the weaker of the two. The new one would only pick up the weaker signal, even with a manual scan. 

Thanks.

I still think this is the best product on the market for what it does. I can pause and record live tv with the wife yells at me to do something. 

Cut the cord.

W-

post #3221 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerski View Post

The navel trick didnt work so I ordered another one form Amazon for 32.50 and its the older version w/o the Ch. switch. The older version can pick up different channels with the same frequency and then you can delete the weaker of the two. The new one would only pick up the weaker signal, even with a manual scan. 

Thanks.

I still think this is the best product on the market for what it does. I can pause and record live tv with the wife yells at me to do something. 

Cut the cord.

W-

I'm considering getting a second (STBii) box but how did you ascertain you were getting the original STBii and not the 3/4 version? Or did you mean the original STB?
post #3222 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerski View Post

Thanks.

Cut the cord.

W-

How did you know it was the one without the Ch switch? Got a link you can send me? I went through the same thing as you with the firmware.

post #3223 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 08:11 AM

Here's the link from Amazon. Near the bottom of the page is a link for the newer version. .....

http://www.amazon.com/Multi-function-Digital-Converter-Box-Recording/dp/B00BFIJQ10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1402412861&sr=8-1&keywords=iview+tv+converter+box

The older one has a different remote as well. Takes a bit of getting used to but it works fine once you memorize all the buttons. 

Cheers.

W

post #3224 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49

So, does that just bring it up to the level of the latest Homeworx 150 model with the new remote?

Or have they made some other improvements to it as well?

What I'm really looking for is improved reliability. These boxes would be great if only they weren't so flaky!

Cable-free since Nov 2013
post #3225 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 11:23 AM

I have an iview 3500STB. It is stuck with "boot". How do I solve this problem.

Thanks,

Franklin

post #3226 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 PM

Does this box get warm or hot? I would like to know. Thank you.

post #3227 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM

No. This unit does not get hot or very warm. I have a boxee box that gets so hot you could almost light a cigarette from it. This one seems safe but I left mine on for about 8 straight months and it burned out. (died)

post #3228 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 05:26 PM

okay. thank you.

post #3229 of 5042 Old 06-10-2014, 11:10 PM

Is this the picture you are looking for?  I have the box with the channel 3/4 switch.  

I also happen to have one without the switch too. 

post #3230 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 09:37 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerski View Post
No. This unit does not get hot or very warm. I have a boxee box that gets so hot you could almost light a cigarette from it. This one seems safe but I left mine on for about 8 straight months and it burned out. (died)
I can testify that the box runs quite cool. In fact, I removed the USB port from the front of the 3500 and tucked my little hard drive inside the box connected to the USB jack hanging loose within. Makes for a tidy arrangement, and the drive cable does not get knocked loose as it sometimes did.

I have learned that the 3500 likes some disk drives better than others when relying on the USB interface to power the drive. I used to believe that the USB line might be somewhat defective, but I am now pretty comfortable with the idea that some drives are more power-hungry than others. If I had a USB drive with an external power supply I would have more assurance that my theory is correct; perhaps other users can verify that.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #3231 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 11:47 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
This 'ematic' unit seems to be similar to the iView... has anyone checked it out?
http://www.amazon.com/AT103B-CONVERT...eywords=ematic

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
post #3232 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrin1933 View Post
This 'ematic' unit seems to be similar to the iView... has anyone checked it out?
It's been talked about several times here and in other threads, including just a few posts ago.
post #3233 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danshane View Post
I can testify that the box runs quite cool. In fact, I removed the USB port from the front of the 3500 and tucked my little hard drive inside the box connected to the USB jack hanging loose within. Makes for a tidy arrangement, and the drive cable does not get knocked loose as it sometimes did.

I have learned that the 3500 likes some disk drives better than others when relying on the USB interface to power the drive. I used to believe that the USB line might be somewhat defective, but I am now pretty comfortable with the idea that some drives are more power-hungry than others. If I had a USB drive with an external power supply I would have more assurance that my theory is correct; perhaps other users can verify that.
I used two externally powered HDD with it and it would sporadically show as disconnected even when the light was still flashing for it being in use. It got worse and worse until it would not record more than few minutes with out showing as disconnected. Then it stopped recognizing all drives including flash drives.
post #3234 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I used two externally powered HDD with it and it would sporadically show as disconnected even when the light was still flashing for it being in use. It got worse and worse until it would not record more than few minutes with out showing as disconnected. Then it stopped recognizing all drives including flash drives.
Well, that seems to point to a problem on the iView mainboard after all. I am running the latest firmware (v13). I do not know if other versions exhibit the same USB connection drops.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
post #3235 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
It's been talked about several times here and in other threads, including just a few posts ago.
I did a search on 'ematic' here with no results...thants why I posted.
A link to these "other threads" would be appreciated.

Orrin - Engineer/Photographer/Webmaster
post #3236 of 5042 Old 06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did a search on 'ematic' here with no results...thants why I posted.
A link to these "other threads" would be appreciated.

This thread, like I said just a few posts before you asked the question and several other times in this thread, the Homeworx thread, the List of Comsumer DVRs thread, the epVision thread, the Magnavox thread, and others - not in "quotes."
post #3237 of 5042 Old 06-13-2014, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post
I am hoping somebody can confirm or deny if their is something wrong with the factory firmware on the 3500stbii with the ch 3/4 switch.

I have a feeling that this new demod might have caused a step back in the firmware just like the sunkey based firmware problems.

I have both 3500stbII models, a recent one with and one without the 3/4 external switch.

It seems there is no difference in the firmware performance between the two other than the incompatibility between the two box versions, the 'without' box is currently running v13a. Both units have menu transparency in percentages. The 'with' box does not indicate in the menu options a 'modulation' choice of channel 3/4 choice nor loop through under 'channel search'. It would seem the external switch takes care of that and the unit always passes the analog signal whether the box is on or off.

I read this entire thread and still gambled on buying one of these knowing the pitfalls. The first unit is the 'without' box, I ordered a second and got a 'with' version.

After a month of tinkering I have some observations:

1 - By far the worst problem with both boxes in the unreliability of the USB port. I have external powered 3.5 HDs, one IDE, one SATA. The connections are unacceptably loose and will fail connection to the iView with the slightest touch of the plug. The problem does not exist when the HD USB connection is made on my PC port.
The iView port can be made more secure by removing the little PC board and carefully bending the side springs and even more carefully bending the bottom springs in the port. I am considering replacing the port if I can determine the exact correct replacement port.

2 - After some frustrating attempts to get the iView to faithfully see the 1T HD I resorted to this sequence. I had successfully recorded around 100g of hidef. program material. Then the iView decided there was no space available to record nor was there any space on the HD! It read 0.00g. In one attempt I copied the files and reformatted (NTSC) the entire drive on the PC but the same thing happened again. I then reformatted again on the PC but also let the iView format the drive and got the 123456789 filename. So far so good. . .

3 - I have read and experienced others' problems with program schedules getting dropped. I have the same problem as I use both iViews for only OTA reception. It appears the dropped schedules/missing station identification is due to reception issues and happens on the same channels. In my area it is Fox and a weaker local PBS channel. Both boxes have the same issue with the same channels.

This is my worst complaint about this little box - the unreliability of scheduled recordings. I will continue to attempt to make antenna adjustments to see if this solves this problem; both are indoor, a large one in the attic and another small one in a bedroom. Aside from this the hidef. recordings are really great, I watch them on a 55" Samsung 6350 TV and a smaller Sony.

The EPG will sometimes freeze, not often, and if I wait for it to populate it will not freeze on both boxes. When it does, iView will restart itself after some time. When that happens I have learned to check all the menu settings and have had to to reset them. Daily, weekly and through midnight programming works fine - when it records!

Still, this is an amazing box for the price of a little over 30 bucks even with the quirks. It seems they are still trying to improve the 3500stbII with a new model. Oh, and BTW, they must have listened to the early complaints about the brightness of the cryptic channel display as it is an acceptable brightness, much dimmer than my 'without' box! And curiously, when the newer box is 'off', both red and green LEDs are lit. Whatevah. . .

Lastly, apologies for a long first post, and I have hi-res. pics of the new box if necessary to post.

Thanks - LJD51
satpro, danshane and jprc like this.

Last edited by LJD51; 06-13-2014 at 02:19 PM.
post #3238 of 5042 Old 06-13-2014, 04:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 4
new iView 3500stbII pics

new iView 3500stbII pics

Hope I did this right
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4182.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	114633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4183.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	114641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4186.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	114649   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4187.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	114657  
satpro likes this.
post #3239 of 5042 Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

The only difference between the original and the "II" is the remote. Interior pics were already posted in the first 5 posts.

post #3240 of 5042 Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
The only difference between the original and the "II" is the remote. Interior pics were already posted in the first 5 posts.
There is a difference in the power to the USB port.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page