post #3211 of 3682 Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

If that jack is 'hot' when the box in in standby, that wouldn't be a good idea. Maybe that's why they changed back.

I know I wouldn't like it. I mean why supply power to your USB HDD 24x7 when in my case I only use it 4-5 times/week for usually a hour each time. I guess if your USB HDD spun down it wouldn't be as bad but many don't resulting in lots of unused spinning and wasted power.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi There, I just purchased an iView-3500STB 2   with SW Version:20140305 V2    HW version:ATSC7816XD-02-Z00 and can't get it to scan any stations, I've only tried with cable that was recently switch to digital by the cable provider up in Toronto Canada. Is there a trick to scanning stations ? Do I need to upgrade the software ?

I could really use some help here.

Thanks in advance

post #3213 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you try it with any kind of antenna?
post #3214 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 04:59 PM

No I haven't tried an antenna, I bought this unit to use with a local cable provider. It was suppose to open stations that are scrambled. Not sure if it will do what I thought it would. A buddy of mine said that it worked for him, he's got the same unit and told me that someone here wrote a link on a trick on how to scan but  can't find it.

post #3215 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloanbk View Post

No I haven't tried an antenna, I bought this unit to use with a local cable provider. It was suppose to open stations that are scrambled. Not sure if it will do what I thought it would. A buddy of mine said that it worked for him, he's got the same unit and told me that someone here wrote a link on a trick on how to scan but  can't find it.

This unit will absolutely not unscramble encrypted cable stations and it was never supposed to do that. If that is your only purpose for it then send it back.
post #3216 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 05:14 PM

If that's the case I may just have to send it back. Is the iview3500 stb2 good for anything ??? if your using an led tv ???? If my LED can descramble stations 36 channels to be exact.......why can't the iview ?

post #3217 of 3682 Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloanbk View Post

If that's the case I may just have to send it back. Is the iview3500 stb2 good for anything ??? if your using an led tv ???? If my LED can descramble stations 36 channels to be exact.......why can't the iview ?

It's good (when it's working properly) for viewing OTA channels, timeshifting, and basic recording. It can also tune in clear QAM stations if the provider is sending them in a format the iview can recognize. If your TV is actually descrambling channels then it has a cable card. Otherwise you are mistaken about the channels being scrambled.
post #3218 of 3682 Old 05-19-2014, 07:41 PM

I purchased the Iview 3500ii. My main intended use was to use the HDMI out to connect to a audio/video sender for a TV without a cable jack nearby. I have Cox cable with no converter box  The cable is connected directly. The Iview 3500ii failed to find any channels while scanning both cable and air modes. From what I read on this forum, Amazon, and Google I am convinced the Iview will not work with my cable service. I tried firmware updates. I then returned the Iview.

My four HD TVs (Samsung, Panasonic and Vizio) will find all channels when doing a scan.  I also have a Magnavox DVD recorder that will find digital and analog channels while scanning.  Question is what does the TV and DVD recorder have that the Iview does not to enable channel reception from Cox?  If Cox is encrypted How does the TV and DVR recorder get reception without anything added on?

post #3219 of 3682 Old 05-22-2014, 04:50 PM

5-22-2014   Hi I just installed the Iview 3500STB2 connected to air antenna in the garage, using an Ibook 160GB hard drive. (I first tried 16 gb usb flash drive and the playback broke up)

The SW ver is 20130918 v9

The HW ver is ATSC 7816xD-01

Everything is working just fine with good recordings, time shift works great, so I ordered another unit as a backup and for the bedroom. I took the Cable box and DVR back to Comcast and asked for internet svr only!

My question for the pros--- do I need to update the software if it is available?

I really don't know how it would improve things unless it allowed me to change the recording names prior to recording. 

Is USB 3 improved over 2 for recording and playback. How do I know if my Dell Core two win 8 pc has usb 3 

Also anyone recorded to new USB sticks with USB 3 if available.

I have read most of these posts and sure do appreciate the input from you peeps!;) thanks roger

post #3220 of 3682 Old 05-22-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Jackson View Post

5-22-2014   Hi I just installed the Iview 3500STB2 connected to air antenna in the garage, using an Ibook 160GB hard drive. (I first tried 16 gb usb flash drive and the playback broke up)
The SW ver is 20130918 v9
The HW ver is ATSC 7816xD-01

Everything is working just fine with good recordings, time shift works great, so I ordered another unit as a backup and for the bedroom. I took the Cable box and DVR back to Comcast and asked for internet svr only!

My question for the pros--- do I need to update the software if it is available?
I really don't know how it would improve things unless it allowed me to change the recording names prior to recording. 

Is USB 3 improved over 2 for recording and playback. How do I know if my Dell Core two win 8 pc has usb 3 
Also anyone recorded to new USB sticks with USB 3 if available.

I have read most of these posts and sure do appreciate the input from you peeps!wink.gif thanks roger

If you're not using cable, the only advantage of a software upgrade would be to adjust the transparency of the menus. If the menu transparency is fine with you then no reason to change anything.

The iview does not have usb 3.0. If using a hard drive the only advantage of using a USB 3.0 hard drive would be faster transfer to your PC if you plan on transferring files and your PC has 3.0. You can tell if your computer has USB 3.0 ports because they will have blue connectors.

If using flash drives, then using USB 3.0 vs 2.0 would give you better chance of getting higher USB 2.0 speeds. Flash drives are generally discouraged for the reason you discovered since most are not fast enough and/or have latency issues with full HD timeshift or recording. Some high speed flash drives do work if you really want to go that route, and if you do, I would recommend trying usb 3.0 or using a microSD card with high quality USB adapter. But if not necessary to have something very small and portable like a flash drive, then stick with a hard drive. Hard drives will always work better for recording and especially timeshifting and they are cheaper.

Also, when you get your 2nd box, before making any upgrade decisions, make sure it is the same version as the box you have now. If it is a version with a different chipset as mentioned recently in this thread and also updated in post 5, then an upgrade will kill your box.
post #3221 of 3682 Old 05-22-2014, 07:48 PM

I just purchased one of these units and I got one of the new batch units with the 3/4 switch on the back. Glad I read through everything again before trying to flash some firmware that would have bricked the thing. 

Anyway, similar to someone else on the thread, I purchased this box so I could route my QAM cable channels through my HDMI receiver as opposed to connecting the coax directly to my TV. I was able to pick up all the local channels in HD when plugging the coax into the TV. I was hoping to get the same result from this box as it specifically says QAM on the box. I don't need anything else but the local stuff.

It looks like those of us with units from this new batch either need to wait for them to give us a firmware update or just return our units. Their website says firmware is in testing now, but who knows what that means.

Does anyone know of a different box that could perform the same function that I was hoping this one would perform? Or should I just hold out and see if new firmware will help?

post #3222 of 3682 Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billin30 View Post

I just purchased one of these units and I got one of the new batch units with the 3/4 switch on the back. Glad I read through everything again before trying to flash some firmware that would have bricked the thing. 

Anyway, similar to someone else on the thread, I purchased this box so I could route my QAM cable channels through my HDMI receiver as opposed to connecting the coax directly to my TV. I was able to pick up all the local channels in HD when plugging the coax into the TV. I was hoping to get the same result from this box as it specifically says QAM on the box. I don't need anything else but the local stuff.

It looks like those of us with units from this new batch either need to wait for them to give us a firmware update or just return our units. Their website says firmware is in testing now, but who knows what that means.

Does anyone know of a different box that could perform the same function that I was hoping this one would perform? Or should I just hold out and see if new firmware will help?

I'll throw out some possibilities but no one here that has an original version has posted about also having a new chipset version so we don't really know much for certain about the software that is on it.

My guess is that the firmware on the new boxes is similar in function to the fw that the version II boxes with old chipset originally shipped with. That would be v9 btw. V9 can pick up virtual cable channels only and besides that simply does not work well with cable. IF your software if based off that you can expect the same results.

So, you can email iview and see if they have an eta on new fw and ask whether it will support physical cable channels. Or you can just wait. Or you can use an antenna to get local channels unless that is not an option where you live. Or you can return it and get an original version of the box that you can upgrade to v13 or any other version posted here. Even with an upgrade that supports physical QAM channels, there is no guarantee you will be able to get them in.

The only other thing I would mention before doing any of that is to make sure the cable channels you get directly connected to your TV are not analog.
post #3223 of 3682 Old 05-24-2014, 09:31 AM

I am wanting to update my iview but dont know what version that I have. How can I find out? where do I look?

post #3224 of 3682 Old 05-24-2014, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpilgrim View Post

I am wanting to update my iview but dont know what version that I have. How can I find out? where do I look?

You should read at minimum the first 5 posts of this thread.
post #3225 of 3682 Old 05-25-2014, 03:26 PM

I am a new user. I have the iView 3500 TBII. It's connected to an analog tv and was working fine right out of the box. Today I started exploring with a view to using the record function. I pressed a menu item that was labelled "channel 3 modulation" or such like and now I have nothing but static. I can't access the menu or get out of the static. Unplugging the 3500 hasn't helped. Anyone with an idea on how to restore my channels?

This is a great thread. Sorry my first question is so lame. smile.gif

Thanks
post #3226 of 3682 Old 05-25-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antproof View Post

I am a new user. I have the iView 3500 TBII. It's connected to an analog tv and was working fine right out of the box. Today I started exploring with a view to using the record function. I pressed a menu item that was labelled "channel 3 modulation" or such like and now I have nothing but static. I can't access the menu or get out of the static. Unplugging the 3500 hasn't helped. Anyone with an idea on how to restore my channels?

This is a great thread. Sorry my first question is so lame. smile.gif

Thanks

Don't worry. I posted a method to get it back. Let me go find it again in my posts since I'm not where my iview is right now to try it out again. I will edit this post when I've got it. Wait a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is. Post 2986: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread/2940_60#post_24330225
post #3227 of 3682 Old 05-25-2014, 04:01 PM

Excellent, thanks so much jpcr. I love this place.
post #3228 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 10:19 AM

post #3229 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Don't worry. I posted a method to get it back. Let me go find it again in my posts since I'm not where my iview is right now to try it out again. I will edit this post when I've got it. Wait a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is. Post 2986: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465875/iview-3500stb-tuner-dvr-owners-thread/2940_60#post_24330225

As a side note and to make a long story short I needed to do a factory reset because PAL was selected and there was nothing on the display. I don't own the 3500ii anymore, but I was able to a factory reset as shown below to recover. The steps below are from Amazon reviews. I modified them slightly by adding step 0:

0. Press the EXIT button on the remote
1. Press the Menu button on the converter box remote.
2. Wait for the Converter Box's display to show four dashes
3. Press the RIGHT arrow key 5 times
4. Press the DOWN arrow key 3 times
5. Press the Right arrow key 1 time
6. Enter zero 6x (000000) Note: this is the default password. Change if you set a different

password.
7. Press "OK" The converter should reset.

post #3230 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceDog100 View Post

As a side note and to make a long story short I needed to do a factory reset because PAL was selected and there was nothing on the display. I don't own the 3500ii anymore, but I was able to a factory reset as shown below to recover. The steps below are from Amazon reviews. I modified them slightly by adding step 0:

0. Press the EXIT button on the remote

1. Press the Menu button on the converter box remote.

2. Wait for the Converter Box's display to show four dashes

3. Press the RIGHT arrow key 5 times

4. Press the DOWN arrow key 3 times

5. Press the Right arrow key 1 time

6. Enter zero 6x (000000) Note: this is the default password. Change if you set a different
password.

7. Press "OK" The converter should reset.

I could have saved you the factory reset if you had asked here. smile.gif I know it's too late for you, but for anyone else who changes that setting, here is how to change it back without erasing all your data.

-Turn it off and then turn it on again.
-After you give it time to be fully booted, press Menu.
-Using the navigation keys do the following: Right, Down 3 times, Right.
-Give it a couple seconds to switch - it may not be instantaneous.
-Hit Exit so you don't accidentally change it again.

Btw, the reason that I suggest turning the box off and then on again in both my sets of instructions is to make sure you are starting at the right place. There are several places in iview navigation, like if you are recording, timeshifting, in the PVR menu and also other places where Exit will not Exit you out without you pressing another button, like OK or the Stop button for instance. Usually when people change one of these settings and can't view the screen anymore, they end up pressing every button on their remote and pressing things multiple times. They can end up anywhere and even multiple Exits may not get them back to a place where they can bring up the Menu to start the above steps correctly.
post #3231 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Has anyone has issues with not being able to flash the unit?

I place the file on a flash drive, go to the menus, select the file to flash. The unit then shows the iview logo, goes black, shows the iview logo again, the screen flashes green briefly and then brings me back to the installation guide.

No blue screen with "upgrading software".

Of course, when I go back to the menu and check the firmware version nothing has changed.

I've tried a couple of different flash drives, thinking that it might be picky. I even let it format one of the flash drives before copying the files over to it. No version of the firmware has upgraded the box. I'm stuck at the 918 version.
post #3232 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscoles View Post

Has anyone has issues with not being able to flash the unit?

I place the file on a flash drive, go to the menus, select the file to flash. The unit then shows the iview logo, goes black, shows the iview logo again, the screen flashes green briefly and then brings me back to the installation guide.

No blue screen with "upgrading software".

Of course, when I go back to the menu and check the firmware version nothing has changed.

I've tried a couple of different flash drives, thinking that it might be picky. I even let it format one of the flash drives before copying the files over to it. No version of the firmware has upgraded the box. I'm stuck at the 918 version.

Are you downloading the files from here or from the iview site? If iview, don't use their files. Make sure you are not choosing the flash.bin file - that won't update anything. Make sure there are no spaces in the filename.
post #3233 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

Are you downloading the files from here or from the iview site? If iview, don't use their files. Make sure you are not choosing the flash.bin file - that won't update anything. Make sure there are no spaces in the filename.

Initially I was trying the files from iview, but was not having any luck. I then came here and tried the files from post #5 of this thread. The files are named as extracted from the archives - 120113_V12_physical.bin and V13a_122713.bin

Essentially everything looks just like the pictures posted, except when I select OK when I'm on the highlighted file, it never goes to the blue 'Upgrading Software" screen.

What do you mean "Make sure you are not choosing the flash.bin file?" I hope I'm not just being dense here...?!?

I have flashed plenty of other devices... Mede8er, TViX, other media boxes that I don't even remember the name of, Motherboards, etc.
post #3234 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
For upgrade you need to use fat32 format but before you do anything make sure your unit does not have the new ch 3/4 switch on the rear. In that case do not use any of the files.

Still hoping somebody can post some higher resolution picture of the new board with the ch 3/4 switch.

Mainly what is written on the front edge and if right next to that it uses zendell like sunkey board uses.

bscoles likes this.
post #3235 of 3682 Old 05-26-2014, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satpro View Post

For upgrade you need to use fat32 format but before you do anything make sure your unit does not have the new ch 3/4 switch on the rear. In that case do not use any of the files.

Fat32, that's the ticket. I'm usually transporting files bigger than 4GB so I usually format everything to NTFS.

No ch 3/4 switch. Upgraded great.

Thank You!
post #3236 of 3682 Old 05-27-2014, 02:03 AM

Liked: 13

Always look at the first postings on page one for most current updates.  As the thread owner updates the post with new info.

post #3237 of 3682 Old 05-27-2014, 02:09 AM

Liked: 13

Remember input to the 3500STB needs to be digital not analog.  And most vcrs / cable boxes ect. produce a analog signal output.

post #3238 of 3682 Old 05-27-2014, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by vr24cod View Post

Remember input to the 3500STB needs to be digital not analog.  And most vcrs / cable boxes ect. produce a analog signal output.

Your first part is true but I do take exception with your word "most" in youir second sentence. I've never seen a vcr or cable box that outputted anything other than modulated analog channels, you can be assured if your trying to record from such a modulated output it will be analog and therefor not recordable by the iView :)

post #3239 of 3682 Old 05-28-2014, 06:00 AM

I scanned for channels, got 15 channels, after scanning picture shows on tv and then 20 seconds later the screen goes blank and message on screen says "NO VIDEO",  does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

post #3240 of 3682 Old 05-28-2014, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd4 View Post

I scanned for channels, got 15 channels, after scanning picture shows on tv and then 20 seconds later the screen goes blank and message on screen says "NO VIDEO",  does anyone have any idea whats wrong?

I have experienced this on one or two individual channels from time to time, but not on all of them. Are you losing all of them? I noticed it happens on the channel with the weakest signal, at least as far as I can tell from the relative signal strength graph. It's annoying because once the channel disappears, it gets deleted from the list, and the box then rearranges the rest of the channels proceeding it. I have to do a full rescan to restore the one that goes missing, but eventually it disappears again.

BTW, I'm using QAM over cable, not OTA.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page