iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes

post #3271 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
I did not notice any change in the LED display when recording is started if the unit is already on - it may do this for timed recording as it switches ON...
True enough; the only change on the LED if the unit is not in standby mode would be the ersatz channel number. In my environment the iView is only powered up when making a recording or watching one. For live OTA viewing I use the television's tuner.

Like you, I used to rely on the HD activity light as a recording indicator. But since I installed the drives inside the iView boxes that option seems to have disappeared.

--

Be seeing you...

Dan Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 52
I recently bought an IVIEW 3500 STB II (with 3/4 switch). My problem: The station I most want to record -- PBS (on RF 47) -- is the hardest one to receive cleanly.

I'm in Chicago in a high-rise condo less than 2 miles from the towers, but with many other buildings in the way. I'm limited to using an indoor antenna. (Just a UHF loop and rabbit ears for now). I'm recording to a Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB 3 external portable hard disk.

After much antenna location and orientation experimentation, I am now able to get a good signal from PBS when watching live. But when I hit RECORD, the live picture (and the recording) becomes UNWATCHABLE.

However, I can record CBS (on RF 12) perfectly. I haven't yet tested recording other channels yet.

I wonder if the electronics in the USB 3 external disk drive are causing interference.... I'll try an older USB 2 disk to test that theory. I have a Silver Sensor antenna on another tuner that I can try on the IVIEW.

Has anyone else experienced a good "live" signal, but unacceptable recording?
post #3273 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
I recently bought an IVIEW 3500 STB II (with 3/4 switch). My problem: The station I most want to record -- PBS (on RF 47) -- is the hardest one to receive cleanly.

I'm in Chicago in a high-rise condo less than 2 miles from the towers, but with many other buildings in the way. I'm limited to using an indoor antenna. (Just a UHF loop and rabbit ears for now). I'm recording to a Toshiba Canvio 1TB USB 3 external portable hard disk.

After much antenna location and orientation experimentation, I am now able to get a good signal from PBS when watching live. But when I hit RECORD, the live picture (and the recording) becomes UNWATCHABLE.

However, I can record CBS (on RF 12) perfectly. I haven't yet tested recording other channels yet.

I wonder if the electronics in the USB 3 external disk drive are causing interference.... I'll try an older USB 2 disk to test that theory. I have a Silver Sensor antenna on another tuner that I can try on the IVIEW.

Has anyone else experienced a good "live" signal, but unacceptable recording?
You need to move the antenna as far as physically possible from the iview. Ideally get an outdoor antenna. If you have to use indoor, get an antenna with a long cable or a detachable cable you can replace with your own. You may also need to move the hard drive as far as possible from the antenna too.

post #3274 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1680 Post(s)
Liked: 1438
I would highly recommend building or buying a better antenna, too. In my experience UHF loops are the worst type of antenna you can use; I've even had better results receiving UHF stations with rabbit ears than with a UHF loop.
post #3275 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
QAM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If signal is marginal using rabbit ears or loop antenna, try an inexpensive in-line RF amplifier between the antenna and DVR/TV. Just a little bit of signal gain can make the difference between a marginal and solid signal for recording. The TV tuner may be more sensitive than the $40 DVR tuner. LOL Might be worth a try.
post #3276 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
R Johnson is only "2 miles from the towers" so more than likely multipath or even too strong of a signal is the problem, no need for a amplifier with a UHF loop close to the tuner.
I'd suggest a more directional antenna, maybe a Terk HDTVi or Silver Sensor, even a bow tie is probably better than a simple loop.
post #3277 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 06:29 PM
QAM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Are both the CBS (RF12) channel and the PBS channel being broadcast at the same resolution (ie 1080, 720, 480), SD or HD?

If not, then recording the HD 1080 channel will require more disc read/writes. SD recording does less disk access. Just find it hard to believe the external USB3 HDD gives off enough EMI to bother the iView tuner.

Edited to add: For test purposes, try a thumb drive to see if the signal breaks up when you hit record. N.G. for future use recording HD channels, but should rule out the HDD theory.

Last edited by QAM; 06-20-2014 at 06:38 PM. Reason: additional info
post #3278 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 06:40 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
[QUOTE=danshane;25120289]True enough; the only change on the LED if the unit is not in standby mode would be the ersatz channel number. In my environment the iView is only powered up when making a recording or watching one. For live OTA viewing I use the television's tuner.

I am able to receive TV signals from 3 market areas, and I don't like to rescan when I can simply switch inputs on the TV. So I use my TV tuner for Fresno, the IVIEW tuner for Sacramento, and I will use the Homeworx tuner for San Francisco. I record on the IVIEW or the Homeworx sometimes when they are the sole source for a program I want to see later, but I usually record network programming on my SIMPLE.TV (on yet another antenna). The SIMPLE.TV tuner works quite easily for scheduling, playback, and archiving, plus I can watch live TV or previously recorded shows away from home, or at home on any Roku, tablet, or PC.

You could probably figure out a way to put an activity LED from the hard drive (using the front of an enclosures guts) in the empty hole from the USB connector.
post #3279 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Most people using indoor antennas, including myself, who have any weak stations experience this problem recording. It has nothing to do with usb 3 vs 2. So far everyone who had done what I said has resolved it. Hopefully it will work for him too although he may also need a different antenna as suggested.
post #3280 of 5123 Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for all the suggestions! As predicted, the USB 2 drive made no difference. All channels tested record perfectly... Except for PBS -- which is what I most wish to record.

I really can't move things around very much. But I will try my more directional Silver Sensor antenna. (Normally I use that for a Samsung tuner for my projector.)

I find it rather unfortunate that the IVIEW circuitry appears unable to send the data to a disk without affecting the tuner.

I wonder if USB power draw has anything to do with this... Edit: I tried a powered USB drive. No improvement.

Last edited by R Johnson; 06-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.
post #3281 of 5123 Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I added an RF switch so that my Silver Sensor antenna can be used for my Samsung tuner or for the IVIEW. That antenna provided enough signal for the IVIEW to make a good recording of my PBS station.

As I've been experimenting with the IVIEW, I'm finding many nice features, but also many places for improvement and refinement.
post #3282 of 5123 Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wanted Dead iView-3500STB

I would like to purchase a non-working iView 3500
Of course wouldn't be able to pay much since the prices of new units are so low.

Please PM me if you have a non-working PVR you'd like to part with.

Last edited by Mister_Mike; 06-23-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: format
post #3283 of 5123 Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow....

Is this topic finally dead?

No posts for 7 days.

About time. Was getting rather old with all the same old questions and answers.
All of the same old problems with no real solutions.

That iView lady even gave up months ago.

Nothing new from iView. I guess not much more they can do to correct all that's wrong on this PVR.

I continue to use my box and just live with all the little quirks.
Serves my needs. But then again I am only OTA.
Anyone who is still trying to use this for cable is wasting every ones time. Aren't they able to comprehend/understand that this thing just does not work for much than an OTA PVR.

3,330+ Posts and about every one of them mentions the inherent problems with receiving QAM. It's like beating a dead horse. It just ain't going nowhere.

With all that said....... Is there anyone out there that has a dead 3500 they would like to get rid of? I'll give you a few buck and pay for cheap shipping.

Well, Maybe...... I'm just the last man on earth
post #3284 of 5123 Old 06-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Using Iview stb3500ii without remote

Hi all...I'm new to this forum.

My Iview 3500stbii remote broke and i ordered a new one which should get here in a few days. I don't see any way to do a channel search without the remote. Is there a way to do it without the remote ?

Thank you...Joe
post #3285 of 5123 Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 773 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Unfortunately without a remote all you can do is turn the unit OFF/ON and change channels that were already in the channel list.
post #3286 of 5123 Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Using Iview stb3500ii without remote

Thanks for the info Jeff. I knew it but wanted it confirmed.

Thanks...
post #3287 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there any reason that I shouldn't move some saved programs to /pvr subfolders on my HDD? (Would I still be able to watch from the iView?) I'd like to have the option to organize by series or channel for instance.

Last edited by dleedlee; 06-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
post #3288 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have a new stbII hooked up to FiOS and an old ReplayTV PVR. I found a JP1 file that I am going to convert to a RID file for the Replay. It's pretty old though and I was wondering if anyone familiar could tell me if the old Iview remote uses the same codes as the new one that comes with the STBII. It's a rather painful process getting new IR codes into a ReplayTV so I don't want to go through it until I'm sure I have the right codes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
post #3289 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Schedules Direct and WIRNS gets me current correct guide info on my old RTVs for around $2/month. I've been using these (I have 3 all with upgraded drives) with the FiOS provided Motorala decoder but got tired of paying monthly for them. Plus every time Verizon changes their lineup the update to the Motorola boxes leaves them turned off so I end up missing recordings.

We're keeping 1 decoder for the main TV and replacing the other 2 with the Iview since FiOS sends the "free" channels in clear QAM. I have the Iview working with FiOS (it actually works really well) I just need to be able to get the RTV to be able to change channels. HD records pretty well considering it's been down-converted to SD. I wouldn't want to watch a ball game or anything with a lot of action that way but it's great for most stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the response - I guess I'll just try the JP1 file I have and see if it works. If not I guess I'll have to see if I can find the box in the garage with the old learning remote and snag the codes off the remote that came with the Iview.
post #3290 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xx1x View Post
I have a new stbII hooked up to FiOS and an old ReplayTV PVR. I found a JP1 file that I am going to convert to a RID file for the Replay. It's pretty old though and I was wondering if anyone familiar could tell me if the old Iview remote uses the same codes as the new one that comes with the STBII. It's a rather painful process getting new IR codes into a ReplayTV so I don't want to go through it until I'm sure I have the right codes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
There are 3 iterations of the remotes. Here are the differences.

The second remote had these changes from the first:
The Repeat and Info keys were swapped.
The new Repeat key (old Info key) also has the function of a dash key "-" for entering subchannel numbers.
There were also some name changes that would not affect the functions of the buttons.

The third remote has these changes from the second:
The Play button is now both Play and Pause.
The old Pause button is now the PVR button.
A dedicated dash "-" key was added and that function was removed from the Repeat/Info key.
There is an added HDMI button that changes the resolution.
The Page- and Page+ buttons were removed.
There is also the whole new section for the semi-universal remote.

Last edited by jprc; 06-30-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added something I forgot.
post #3291 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess the only codes that I really need to work for this application is the numbers and the "-" so I can change channels. It sounds like those haven't changed over time so the JP1 file I have should work.

If anyone cares, I'll post results in a few days when I've had time to test all this. I doubt there are very many of us left still using ReplayTV recorders.
post #3292 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
3500STBII dies

OK.. simple question. I bought an iView 3500STBII on May 29th from Amazon to use as a set top box rather than rent from Time Warner. It tuned the clear QAM signals just fine after updating the firmware; if anything, the picture was better than the box I used to rent from TimeWarner. However, tonight it just died after being powered on for about 5 minutes. It won't power back on, no indicator lights.. totally bricked. I opened it up, didn't smell anything burnt, didn't see anything obviously wrong, no fuses, no bad solder joints, all wiring looms and connectors looked good and solid. Tried it on another, also-known-good outlet.. nothing. Went to return it via Amazon, and, of course, I was ONE @#$# DAY PAST the return deadline. Fortunately, Amazon rocks; I had their customer service call me and they issued me a return shipping label despite the past deadline.

Sooo.. anyone else had the same problem? What caused it? Should I just order another one and hope for a better experience? It worked fine for what we need it for... a tuner for a projector that has no tuner. Ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Bb
post #3293 of 5123 Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Did your unit have the channel 3/4 switch on the back?

If it did, I see iView has a warning about there not being FW for this newer version. The FW there for the 3500STBII will brick these. According to the warning, these have different chips. (They should have made these 3500STBIII and avoided confusion.)

I just bought one myself from Amazon. It has the switch. I saw too, that the FW that is there at iView site, is about the same date as what is already on mine.

I find my unit is not very responsive to the remote and I have direct line of sight, etc.

I also found breakup on a channel, where my TV has none and that is getting signal off the TV out on the STB. If anything, the TV is getting weaker signal...

I may return it.
post #3294 of 5123 Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dead 3500STBII

Thanks for the reply. No, mine did not have the 3/4 switch, and I had successfully updated the firmware about 30 days ago and it's been working fine ever since until suddenly losing all signs of electrical life yesterday.

Bb
post #3295 of 5123 Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Firmware upgrade question

I just recently purchased the Iview 3500stbii and i see you can do firmware upgrades on it. My question is can i use any usb flash drive to do this upgrade ? As you see i'm a novice when dealing with converter boxes.

Thanks for any help.

Joe..
post #3296 of 5123 Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does your unit have a channel 3/4 switch on the back? If so, do not try to update the firmware. You'll brick the DVR if you try. If your unit does not have a channel 3/4 switch, you can update the firmware with a USB flash drive, as long as you format it to FAT32 and put nothing else on it besides the update file.
post #3297 of 5123 Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Does your unit have a channel 3/4 switch on the back? If so, do not try to update the firmware. You'll brick the DVR if you try. If your unit does not have a channel 3/4 switch, you can update the firmware with a USB flash drive, as long as you format it to FAT32 and put nothing else on it besides the update file.
It does have a 3/4 switch in the back. So i guess no firmware upgrades lol

Thank you Aleron

Joe
post #3298 of 5123 Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
3/4 switch firmware

So I bricked my new version by putting old firmware on it. Now it loads the menus, but when you try to do a channel search it freezes and reboots. Does anyone know if there is a copy of the firmware that these newer models have on them anywhere? I am still able to update the firmware at this point, and was hoping to get it back to its original state.
post #3299 of 5123 Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you apply a firmware update to a unit with the channel 3/4 switch on the back, your unit is toast. The only relevant question at present is whether you can send it back to get a refund.
post #3300 of 5123 Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
So, did the new chip set in the iView 3500STBIIb (3/4 switch) improve anything? I've got OTA channels my original iView doesn't like to record (double scanning hiccup). Is that fixed? It would be nice to be able to record off all my channels without worrying about which ones have the problem, and which don't.

It's 2015 and you're still paying for television?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page