Forum Jump: 
 9Likes

post #3331 of 3353 Old 06-20-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks for all the suggestions! As predicted, the USB 2 drive made no difference. All channels tested record perfectly... Except for PBS -- which is what I most wish to record.

I really can't move things around very much. But I will try my more directional Silver Sensor antenna. (Normally I use that for a Samsung tuner for my projector.)

I find it rather unfortunate that the IVIEW circuitry appears unable to send the data to a disk without affecting the tuner.

I wonder if USB power draw has anything to do with this... Edit: I tried a powered USB drive. No improvement.

Last edited by R Johnson; 06-20-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3332 of 3353 Old 06-21-2014, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I added an RF switch so that my Silver Sensor antenna can be used for my Samsung tuner or for the IVIEW. That antenna provided enough signal for the IVIEW to make a good recording of my PBS station.

As I've been experimenting with the IVIEW, I'm finding many nice features, but also many places for improvement and refinement.
post #3333 of 3353 Old 06-23-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Wanted Dead iView-3500STB

I would like to purchase a non-working iView 3500
Of course wouldn't be able to pay much since the prices of new units are so low.

Please PM me if you have a non-working PVR you'd like to part with.

Last edited by Mister_Mike; 06-23-2014 at 07:36 AM. Reason: format
post #3334 of 3353 Old 06-28-2014, 05:46 PM

Wow....

Is this topic finally dead?

No posts for 7 days.

About time. Was getting rather old with all the same old questions and answers.
All of the same old problems with no real solutions.

That iView lady even gave up months ago.

Nothing new from iView. I guess not much more they can do to correct all that's wrong on this PVR.

I continue to use my box and just live with all the little quirks.
Serves my needs. But then again I am only OTA.
Anyone who is still trying to use this for cable is wasting every ones time. Aren't they able to comprehend/understand that this thing just does not work for much than an OTA PVR.

3,330+ Posts and about every one of them mentions the inherent problems with receiving QAM. It's like beating a dead horse. It just ain't going nowhere.

With all that said....... Is there anyone out there that has a dead 3500 they would like to get rid of? I'll give you a few buck and pay for cheap shipping.

Well, Maybe...... I'm just the last man on earth
post #3335 of 3353 Old 06-29-2014, 02:48 PM

Using Iview stb3500ii without remote

Hi all...I'm new to this forum.

My Iview 3500stbii remote broke and i ordered a new one which should get here in a few days. I don't see any way to do a channel search without the remote. Is there a way to do it without the remote ?

Thank you...Joe
post #3336 of 3353 Old 06-29-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Unfortunately without a remote all you can do is turn the unit OFF/ON and change channels that were already in the channel list.
post #3337 of 3353 Old 06-29-2014, 05:09 PM

Using Iview stb3500ii without remote

Thanks for the info Jeff. I knew it but wanted it confirmed.

Thanks...
post #3338 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 08:10 AM

Liked: 12
Is there any reason that I shouldn't move some saved programs to /pvr subfolders on my HDD? (Would I still be able to watch from the iView?) I'd like to have the option to organize by series or channel for instance.

Last edited by dleedlee; 06-30-2014 at 08:55 AM.
post #3339 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 10:51 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a new stbII hooked up to FiOS and an old ReplayTV PVR. I found a JP1 file that I am going to convert to a RID file for the Replay. It's pretty old though and I was wondering if anyone familiar could tell me if the old Iview remote uses the same codes as the new one that comes with the STBII. It's a rather painful process getting new IR codes into a ReplayTV so I don't want to go through it until I'm sure I have the right codes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
post #3340 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Liked: 16
xx1x,

Cool, keep us posted on your progress. I have the older stb. I think there are some differences in the old vs. new remotes, but I think they are minor. I seem to recall flashing to a new firmware version with the newer remote codes, and some buttons were different. Don't recall what they were. I ended up not using this firmware version for other reasons though. This info should be somewhere, I recall reading about it when I was actively reading the forums.

I also have a couple Replay DVRs, but have retired them to the attic. Can't bear to part with them yet. They were my 1st DVRs. Souped up with the bigger HDs. I bought them used a few years ago, just as analog TV was going away. They must have been the shitz when they came out in 2000 or so. I imagine they work OK for the few remaining analog cable providers still around. As good as the image looked on a CRT, it was not very good when viewed on my HDTV.

I managed to get the guide working MOST of the time. But in the end, the guides were for cable TV, and I'm OTA. Plus, I didn't have luck with the RF extender controlling my digital tuner boxes. (Zenith and DTVPal+). I know this can be worked around, but I didn't want to spend the time on an SD DVR with such a small hard drive.
post #3341 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 12:36 PM

Schedules Direct and WIRNS gets me current correct guide info on my old RTVs for around $2/month. I've been using these (I have 3 all with upgraded drives) with the FiOS provided Motorala decoder but got tired of paying monthly for them. Plus every time Verizon changes their lineup the update to the Motorola boxes leaves them turned off so I end up missing recordings.

We're keeping 1 decoder for the main TV and replacing the other 2 with the Iview since FiOS sends the "free" channels in clear QAM. I have the Iview working with FiOS (it actually works really well) I just need to be able to get the RTV to be able to change channels. HD records pretty well considering it's been down-converted to SD. I wouldn't want to watch a ball game or anything with a lot of action that way but it's great for most stuff.

Anyway, thanks for the response - I guess I'll just try the JP1 file I have and see if it works. If not I guess I'll have to see if I can find the box in the garage with the old learning remote and snag the codes off the remote that came with the Iview.
post #3342 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by xx1x View Post
I have a new stbII hooked up to FiOS and an old ReplayTV PVR. I found a JP1 file that I am going to convert to a RID file for the Replay. It's pretty old though and I was wondering if anyone familiar could tell me if the old Iview remote uses the same codes as the new one that comes with the STBII. It's a rather painful process getting new IR codes into a ReplayTV so I don't want to go through it until I'm sure I have the right codes.

Thanks in advance for any help!

John
There are 3 iterations of the remotes. Here are the differences.

The second remote had these changes from the first:
The Repeat and Info keys were swapped.
The new Repeat key (old Info key) also has the function of a dash key "-" for entering subchannel numbers.
There were also some name changes that would not affect the functions of the buttons.

The third remote has these changes from the second:
The Play button is now both Play and Pause.
The old Pause button is now the PVR button.
A dedicated dash "-" key was added and that function was removed from the Repeat/Info key.
There is an added HDMI button that changes the resolution.
The Page- and Page+ buttons were removed.
There is also the whole new section for the semi-universal remote.

Last edited by jprc; 06-30-2014 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added something I forgot.
post #3343 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the info. I guess the only codes that I really need to work for this application is the numbers and the "-" so I can change channels. It sounds like those haven't changed over time so the JP1 file I have should work.

If anyone cares, I'll post results in a few days when I've had time to test all this. I doubt there are very many of us left still using ReplayTV recorders.
post #3344 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
3500STBII dies

OK.. simple question. I bought an iView 3500STBII on May 29th from Amazon to use as a set top box rather than rent from Time Warner. It tuned the clear QAM signals just fine after updating the firmware; if anything, the picture was better than the box I used to rent from TimeWarner. However, tonight it just died after being powered on for about 5 minutes. It won't power back on, no indicator lights.. totally bricked. I opened it up, didn't smell anything burnt, didn't see anything obviously wrong, no fuses, no bad solder joints, all wiring looms and connectors looked good and solid. Tried it on another, also-known-good outlet.. nothing. Went to return it via Amazon, and, of course, I was ONE @#$# DAY PAST the return deadline. Fortunately, Amazon rocks; I had their customer service call me and they issued me a return shipping label despite the past deadline.

Sooo.. anyone else had the same problem? What caused it? Should I just order another one and hope for a better experience? It worked fine for what we need it for... a tuner for a projector that has no tuner. Ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Bb
post #3345 of 3353 Old 06-30-2014, 10:59 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Did your unit have the channel 3/4 switch on the back?

If it did, I see iView has a warning about there not being FW for this newer version. The FW there for the 3500STBII will brick these. According to the warning, these have different chips. (They should have made these 3500STBIII and avoided confusion.)

I just bought one myself from Amazon. It has the switch. I saw too, that the FW that is there at iView site, is about the same date as what is already on mine.

I find my unit is not very responsive to the remote and I have direct line of sight, etc.

I also found breakup on a channel, where my TV has none and that is getting signal off the TV out on the STB. If anything, the TV is getting weaker signal...

I may return it.
post #3346 of 3353 Old 07-01-2014, 06:26 AM

Dead 3500STBII

Thanks for the reply. No, mine did not have the 3/4 switch, and I had successfully updated the firmware about 30 days ago and it's been working fine ever since until suddenly losing all signs of electrical life yesterday.

Bb
post #3347 of 3353 Old 07-04-2014, 12:26 PM

Firmware upgrade question

I just recently purchased the Iview 3500stbii and i see you can do firmware upgrades on it. My question is can i use any usb flash drive to do this upgrade ? As you see i'm a novice when dealing with converter boxes.

Thanks for any help.

Joe..
post #3348 of 3353 Old 07-04-2014, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 247
Does your unit have a channel 3/4 switch on the back? If so, do not try to update the firmware. You'll brick the DVR if you try. If your unit does not have a channel 3/4 switch, you can update the firmware with a USB flash drive, as long as you format it to FAT32 and put nothing else on it besides the update file.
post #3349 of 3353 Old 07-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Does your unit have a channel 3/4 switch on the back? If so, do not try to update the firmware. You'll brick the DVR if you try. If your unit does not have a channel 3/4 switch, you can update the firmware with a USB flash drive, as long as you format it to FAT32 and put nothing else on it besides the update file.
It does have a 3/4 switch in the back. So i guess no firmware upgrades lol

Thank you Aleron

Joe
post #3350 of 3353 Old 07-09-2014, 09:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
3/4 switch firmware

So I bricked my new version by putting old firmware on it. Now it loads the menus, but when you try to do a channel search it freezes and reboots. Does anyone know if there is a copy of the firmware that these newer models have on them anywhere? I am still able to update the firmware at this point, and was hoping to get it back to its original state.
post #3351 of 3353 Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 247
If you apply a firmware update to a unit with the channel 3/4 switch on the back, your unit is toast. The only relevant question at present is whether you can send it back to get a refund.
post #3352 of 3353 Old 07-10-2014, 03:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So, did the new chip set in the iView 3500STBIIb (3/4 switch) improve anything? I've got OTA channels my original iView doesn't like to record (double scanning hiccup). Is that fixed? It would be nice to be able to record off all my channels without worrying about which ones have the problem, and which don't.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #3353 of 3353 Old Yesterday, 06:20 PM

Liked: 22
I would appreciate knowing which brand and model DTV Tuners provide the very best picture quality and have the best tuners? Thanks!
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page