iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum
First ... 112  113  114 115  116  ... Last
HDTV Recorders > iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread
PhilKE3FL's Avatar PhilKE3FL 01:53 PM 08-01-2014
Problem: My USB powered hard drive is ticking and the iView is unable to find anything (files or folder structure) on the HD. This is after a few months of it working flawlessly.

I tested the HD on my laptop and it works fine. I tested a self power HD on the iView and it worked fine. I tested the USB powered HD on the iView and it started ticking again.

Conclusion: the iView didn't have enough power to run the USB HD.

Quick fix for the problem: Buy or make a USB cable that has both the normal data/power from the iView as well as another plug for just additional power input from an AC USB power supply, I used a 5V, 2A USB wall power supply which wasn't doing anything.

This worked just fine and has now been doing so for about a month.

Initial worry: I was worried that the USB HD would remain in the On condition, it does not. When the iView turns off it must be sending an off signal to the USB HD because it too turns off. Using a switching USB AC power supply means that when the HD turns off the power usage goes way down, less than 1 watt since the Kill-O-Watt meter cannot measure it.

They used to make these things for USB external HDs but not any longer that I know of. Also, I've never seen one for a USB 2 and 3 type external HD, which is what mine is & I think all new ones are.

Rather than modifying the USB cord that came with the HD, I bought two USB 2 extension cables and combined them into the Y-cable needed with two inputs and one output. Buy two of the same type cable and then wire the same color wires together and it should be fine. NOTE: We're only going to patch in the power wires NOT the signal wires from the extra power input plug.

Before you do this buy some large heat shrink tubing to cover it all when you're done.

You only need to attach the red & black wires for the extra USB plug to the AC power supply. DO NOT CUT the other two wires on the one cable that is supplying both power and signal, those are the signal wires. When you are done connecting the power wires and soldering them cover them with tape or plastic dip. Once finished, wrap some aluminum foil over this area, make sure it connects to the previous shielding from the two cables. Now shrink the tubing over this area to both protect the area and to force a good connection with the original shielding and the new aluminum foil wrapped around the area. Having too much shielding is better than not having enough.

Test it on something other than your HD, perhaps a USB light if you have one. Make sure both inputs can supply power to the device under test ONE AT A TIME. I have a third USB extension cable with the power wires cut so I can test how much voltage and/or current is on the line to the device under test so you might want to buy a third USB extension cable for this type of testing. It does not have to be the same manufacturer as the other two since we're not wiring anything together.

Good-luck & I hope that if you've been having a similar problem this will give you the solution you need.

jprc's Avatar jprc 02:40 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairywoo View Post
hello all,

i just recently received my 3500STB2 and have an issue i'd like to share and possibly get some input.

i connected this hardrive in a 3.0 usb enclosure to the iview:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and when i go to timeshift on the iview it takes about 2 minutes or longer to pause even when i hit play the playback is extra jumpy and unwatchable. the same can be said for playback on any recording i've made.

i'm guessing that my hardrive is too slow for proper recording and playback?

if that's the case then i need help picking out a suitable replacement. i'd like to stay as affordable as possible while still maintaining quality and enough speed to work properly.

i've found these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE2N1WS/...3083CZL3&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W15P0/...CF34C0HL&psc=1

one is half the price of the other but i'm not sure if it's fast enough. any comments or suggestions?
Any hard drive should be fast enough to handle this. It could be your enclosure or the connectors that are causing the problem or there could be a problem with the drive or it could just be a random incompatibility/bug. The iview is very finicky, often with no rhyme or reason. But the speed of any modern hard drive is not going to be the issue.

I also always suggest using externally powered drives when possible. And if you have weak signal and/or indoor antenna then you will have to spend some time rearranging your equipment for least interference, but that will not cause a 2 minute delay when hitting the pause button so I think you have some kind of hardware problem either on the iview, the drive, the enclosure, or the connectors.
jprc's Avatar jprc 02:57 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell80 View Post
I should say my recording title workaround involves using a USB tuner on my PC for EPGCollector
to get the data. Media Portal can get EPG from IMDB without using a tuner.

More thoughts on PVR function:

0. When exiting PVR mode it should return to live TV and to exit you should be able to press PVR again (to save looking for the exit button).

1. Playback should be fullscreen by default.

2. When skipping, pressing play will pause the video instead of playing, unless you've already pressed it once. The play pause button should not pause when in skipping mode.

2.1. Agreed with all skipping comments the skip should be 30 seconds not speed based.

3. When recording it's annoying to have the "Rec 00:38:00" box in the top left corner. That should timeout and pop back up when you attempt to interupt the recording.

3.1. If a HDD is attached it should be fast enough to allow you to watch a recording while a current recording is on going. I can only think the flash drive option is what held back this functionality.

4. Pressing info should bring up meta data like show title and description rather than technical details.

5. Aspect ratio cannot be changed when in playback mode.

I'll keep playing and see what other user interface snags I can find.
You can get immediate fullscreen playback by hitting the Play button.
You can get rid of the REC timer onscreen by hitting Exit.
Press Info twice for show decription.
Although you can't watch a separate recording while recording another, you can watch/timeshift a program at the same time that you are recording it when using a hard drive.

Don't expect the filename change to EPG info you requested. The iview does not record by EPG, it records by time. Although you can use the EPG as a shortcut to program a recording, it is not using the EPG at all for the recording. It simply starts at the specified time and goes for the number of minutes until the end time. It does not know what program it is. The filename of a program is station and date/time because that is the programmed info and that is all it knows.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 04:14 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Don't expect the filename change to EPG info you requested. The iview does not record by EPG, it records by time.
That's not necessarily a true limitation, though. The TViX records by time, too, but all recordings are named with date, time and the name of the program as provided by PSIP. The iView's programmers are just too lazy to pick up the PSIP name and append it to the filename.
jprc's Avatar jprc 04:25 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That's not necessarily a true limitation, though. The TViX records by time, too, but all recordings are named with date, time and the name of the program as provided by PSIP. The iView's programmers are just too lazy to pick up the PSIP name and append it to the filename.
Well, I said don't expect it. I didn't say it was impossible. And because of iview not having it's own clock, appending PSIP info wouldn't be very useful to most people since everyone I know sets their timer to begin several minutes before the program, so it would actually have the wrong program name. If you're going to have to change the name anyway or remember or write down what programs are playing before each program you record so that you can figure out which program it really is, that just doesn't seem very useful to me. But either way, we can't expect iview to change it realistically.
duracell80 09:14 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairywoo View Post
hello all,

i just recently received my 3500STB2 ...... and when i go to timeshift on the iview it takes about 2 minutes or longer to pause even when i hit play the playback is extra jumpy and unwatchable. the same can be said for playback on any recording i've made.

i'm guessing that my hardrive is too slow for proper recording and playback?

Had a thought on this. Have you run any disk error checking on it? If it's hitting some bad sectors that may impact performance. Defragment with Windows if FAT. A USB cable issue could happen too, if you have another cable try that.

If there's no valuable data on it I'd try making a partion just for DVR usage and try different file systems.

Try SD channels too, high bitrates will take longer to write.
duracell80 09:27 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
You can get immediate fullscreen playback by hitting the Play button ... you can watch/timeshift a program at the same time that you are recording it when using a hard drive.

Don't expect the filename change to EPG info you requested.
Aha! Thanks for the tips! I do like that you can rewind a recording as it happens could be a nice hack to get constant timeshifting rather than having to enter that mode.

The EPG data could be stored
in an XML file (.nfo) next to the recording or as you book the recording it could set the filename there and then (like a label) or write an .nfo file as the show is booked.

It's a big let down having EPG data but it vanishing into the ether because you don't wanna be figuring out which ABC, NBC CBS file is the one you want to watch. Considering a text file named exactly as the recording filename would suffice.

Unless the preview window could be auto playing the file as selected with the down arrow? That could be a neat workaround?

If iView want to set us up as beta testers we could really help. Humax did a similar thing when I lived in the UK and the interface became killer.
duracell80 09:42 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
Well, I said don't expect it. I didn't say it was impossible.
To clarify I was suggesting
having the STB pull the show title into a text file that lived along side the recording (like the example of the hand writen note).

The example of writing down what you recorded and when is meta data. It's a low tech .nfo file. Nobody who uses a Dish or DirectTV DVR has hand written notes to direct them to the correct recording.

My frustration is that a DVR without meta data (show title) is useless.

As a user you don't select a recording to watch based on when it was recorded. You say I would like to watch House and normally the top of the list is the most recent.

Most DVR users won't recall the exact time and channel it was recorded on they want to call up the "Simpsons Folder" and watch the mos recent recordings (top of the list not bottom of the list). Filtering out all other irellevant recordings from the list.

This software cannot function as a DVR without meta data and organisation.
jprc's Avatar jprc 11:39 PM 08-01-2014
Quote:
To clarify I was suggesting
having the STB pull the show title into a text file that lived along side the recording (like the example of the hand writen note).

The example of writing down what you recorded and when is meta data. It's a low tech .nfo file. Nobody who uses a Dish or DirectTV DVR has hand written notes to direct them to the correct recording.

My frustration is that a DVR without meta data (show title) is useless.

As a user you don't select a recording to watch based on when it was recorded. You say I would like to watch House and normally the top of the list is the most recent.

Most DVR users won't recall the exact time and channel it was recorded on they want to call up the "Simpsons Folder" and watch the mos recent recordings (top of the list not bottom of the list). Filtering out all other irellevant recordings from the list.

I think you're forgetting how much (little) this box costs. You pay Dish and DirecTV monthly fees and they are large companies. You can't expect the same functionality from a cheap one time purchase from a discount company that is reselling cheap discount boxes for which they don't even have full access to the code.

I have to completely disagree with your statement that a DVR without meta data is useless. The primary purpose of a DVR/PVR is to record and (as long as it is working properly) the iView does that. You can have all the meta data in the world but without a recording the meta data is useless. On the other hand, a recording without meta data is far from useless though because it is still a recording and you can watch it, which is the whole purpose. It just takes a couple extra seconds to determine which recording it is. Yes, it would be ideal to have a show title or more descriptive filename and not have to take those extra couple seconds to figure it out, but not having the show title doesn't change the fact that you recorded what you wanted to record and can play it back and watch it. Nothing useless about that at all.

There are lots of things I wish this box did differently but you do have to keep the price point in mind. Even the things that could have been done differently originally without increasing the price cannot be done now after the fact without costing more money. Most things are simply not going to be changed. Those of us who were early adopters of this product did a lot of beta testing for iview. Some of us, myself being one, put countless hours of work into this and did everything we could to get the changes that we got so far just to make the box functional as a PVR at all. It's original shipping state was truly next to useless as a PVR. I'm just trying to tell you that you need to set your expectations more realistically.
Hallmerk's Avatar Hallmerk 05:14 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilKE3FL View Post
Problem: My USB powered hard drive is ticking and the iView is unable to find anything (files or folder structure) on the HD. This is after a few months of it working flawlessly.

I tested the HD on my laptop and it works fine. I tested a self power HD on the iView and it worked fine. I tested the USB powered HD on the iView and it started ticking again.

Conclusion: the iView didn't have enough power to run the USB HD.

Quick fix for the problem: Buy or make a USB cable that has both the normal data/power from the iView as well as another plug for just additional power input from an AC USB power supply, I used a 5V, 2A USB wall power supply which wasn't doing anything.

This worked just fine and has now been doing so for about a month.

Initial worry: I was worried that the USB HD would remain in the On condition, it does not. When the iView turns off it must be sending an off signal to the USB HD because it too turns off. Using a switching USB AC power supply means that when the HD turns off the power usage goes way down, less than 1 watt since the Kill-O-Watt meter cannot measure it.

They used to make these things for USB external HDs but not any longer that I know of. Also, I've never seen one for a USB 2 and 3 type external HD, which is what mine is & I think all new ones are.

Rather than modifying the USB cord that came with the HD, I bought two USB 2 extension cables and combined them into the Y-cable needed with two inputs and one output. Buy two of the same type cable and then wire the same color wires together and it should be fine. NOTE: We're only going to patch in the power wires NOT the signal wires from the extra power input plug.

Before you do this buy some large heat shrink tubing to cover it all when you're done.

You only need to attach the red & black wires for the extra USB plug to the AC power supply. DO NOT CUT the other two wires on the one cable that is supplying both power and signal, those are the signal wires. When you are done connecting the power wires and soldering them cover them with tape or plastic dip. Once finished, wrap some aluminum foil over this area, make sure it connects to the previous shielding from the two cables. Now shrink the tubing over this area to both protect the area and to force a good connection with the original shielding and the new aluminum foil wrapped around the area. Having too much shielding is better than not having enough.

Test it on something other than your HD, perhaps a USB light if you have one. Make sure both inputs can supply power to the device under test ONE AT A TIME. I have a third USB extension cable with the power wires cut so I can test how much voltage and/or current is on the line to the device under test so you might want to buy a third USB extension cable for this type of testing. It does not have to be the same manufacturer as the other two since we're not wiring anything together.

Good-luck & I hope that if you've been having a similar problem this will give you the solution you need.
I am having the exact same problem after my unit worked well for about four months. My Seagate 500GB just freezes, and the led on it goes blank indicating it has no power. I do not believe my problem is with the USB connectors, but rather with something related to the Iview box itself. Will give you fix a try if I get up the courage to make the necessary cable.
laridae's Avatar laridae 06:46 AM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Actually that's not entirely true - the key is to be realistic in your expectations. It works fine for me;

But then I'm a watch-and-delete kind of guy so I only have a few shows on the go at any one time, usually one page in the listing of files.

Sure, the lack of show names on the files is a pain but you get used to it. It's taken me a while to get used to this flaky little box (actually I have a couple of Homeworx 150's, but same diff). It's great value for the price and a real boon for the growing mass of cord-cutters. And, let's face it, there's really not much else out there at this price point so let's be grateful that these boxes at least offer us a choice!

You get what you pay for.
Hallmerk's Avatar Hallmerk 01:24 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post
I am having the exact same problem after my unit worked well for about four months. My Seagate 500GB just freezes, and the led on it goes blank indicating it has no power. I do not believe my problem is with the USB connectors, but rather with something related to the Iview box itself. Will give you fix a try if I get up the courage to make the necessary cable.
It appears to me that this fix will ultimately supply power to the HD from both the Iview's USB port, AND the AC power supply simultaneously. This won't cause a problem? Seems like 5 volts and 5 more volts going to the same device could cause a problem. What am I missing here?
mat55555 02:42 PM 08-02-2014
In parallel, it's still 5v. Try it with 2 batteries connecting pos to pos and neg to neg.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code
duracell80 10:41 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
Actually that's not entirely true - the key is to be realistic in your expectations. It works fine for me.
And that's great but cord cutters will be disapointed and by that I mean non-technical people who are being priced out of DVR's.

There are a tonne of issues still remaining that hold it back from being a DVR that people can use and I was highlighting these issues.

These boxes are the best option at the moment for non computer users who just want an affordable DVR (my wife). I'm perfectly happy with XBMC and 5 tuners (as cord cutters) but it's overkill for the general public. My wife isn't a cord cutter but does need a DVR without the high fees.

These boxes promise to be a DVR but haven't got to the point where you can use them as DVR's (by far the biggest issue is the usability of the software).

It's eaiser to playback the recordings from this box on a computer and that just defeats the point.
duracell80 10:47 PM 08-02-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post
It appears to me that this fix will ultimately supply power to the HD from both the Iview's USB port, AND the AC power supply simultaneously. This won't cause a problem? Seems like 5 volts and 5 more volts going to the same device could cause a problem. What am I missing here?
Modify a cable to only supply power from an external source and cut the black/red cables coming from the iView.
laridae's Avatar laridae 06:38 AM 08-03-2014
Quote:
And that's great but cord cutters will be disapointed and by that I mean non-technical people who are being priced out of DVR's.

There are a tonne of issues still remaining that hold it back from being a DVR that people can use and I was highlighting these issues.
If a cord cutter is going to be happy with one of these boxes it would help if they were;

Resourceful - they'll need to jump through some hoops and install an OTA antenna, and

Flexible - they'll need to learn new ways of doing things and reception of their shows will become unreliable and subject to the vagaries of weather, leaves, aircraft, etc. If watching that show is life-or-death (and you can't wait for the boxed set) then this is not for you.

It would also help if they are somewhat disillusioned or at least indifferent to TV in general. There's a lot of crap out there and most of it isn't worth watching. So, take it or leave it. Develop alternatives. Find something else to do with that extra $100 a month.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 03:58 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by laridae View Post
they'll need to learn new ways of doing things and reception of their shows will become unreliable and subject to the vagaries of weather, leaves, aircraft, etc. If watching that show is life-or-death (and you can't wait for the boxed set) then this is not for you.
On the other hand, satellite TV is notorious for being affected by weather patterns, and cable systems have a habit of going dark, too. At least when the OTA stops working, you don't have to wait for the cable guy to show up "some time between 12 and 5 on Tuesday" to fix it.
duracell80 10:57 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
On the other hand, satellite TV is notorious for being affected by weather patterns, and cable systems have a habit of going dark, too. At least when the OTA stops working, you don't have to wait for the cable guy to show up "some time between 12 and 5 on Tuesday" to fix it.
That's very true. OTA holds up well during storms when our Dish goes out. Plus with the USB tuner in the laptop if the power goes out we can still watch live radar and storm tracks.
duracell80 11:05 PM 08-03-2014
I reckon I've figured out where the iView STB (and others with the same software) fits in to my setup.

It's not a DVR. It just doesn't store meta data and can't be organised enough to be a DVR.

I would advocate this as a timeshift device, ie pause live tv and maybe make the occasional recording.

I assume the 4GB limit on timeshift is due to filesystems. Would be awesome if usinf NTFS the system could let you select "infinity".

Why isn't it a DVR? EPG data only goes out a few hours so you can't see a trailer for a show on Thursday when it's Monday and book it (this is not an issue with the iView but EPG data broadcast inband). When you do book a recording no meta data is stored with it like show title which makes finding a recording very difficult.

You can't series link with this device and it'll record weekend events if you set up a daily timer (sometimes BBC news for example jumps around PBS, this box cannot detect that in the EPG data so it can miss things).

Also you can't watch a previous recording while a current recording is ongoing (spoilers). To get around that you'd need a second box with a second hard drive and you'd have to have the presence of mind to swap drives over to your "playback box" if what you want to watch is on the disk that's in your "recording box" and you couldn't do that if the recording had already started so you'd be screwed.

It's not a DVR.

That's actually a bigger deal than in seems. What's the point of recording something if you are forced ro watch it as it is recording?

Don't waste time or money on a 1TB HDD for this box because you'll have a tonne of nonsense titles to scroll through before you find what you were looking for.

For $30 you cannot go wrong and this is awesome for watching live TV on the TV, but for a DVR just hook up a PC to your TV and run XBMC with Media Portal (you can record series links with a plugin).
jprc's Avatar jprc 11:51 PM 08-03-2014
Quote:
I reckon I've figured out where the iView STB (and others with the same software) fits in to my setup.

It's not a DVR. It just doesn't store meta data and can't be organised enough to be a DVR.

I would advocate this as a timeshift device, ie pause live tv and maybe make the occasional recording.

I assume the 4GB limit on timeshift is due to filesystems. Would be awesome if usinf NTFS the system could let you select "infinity".

Why isn't it a DVR? EPG data only goes out a few hours so you can't see a trailer for a show on Thursday when it's Monday and book it (this is not an issue with the iView but EPG data broadcast inband). When you do book a recording no meta data is stored with it like show title which makes finding a recording very difficult.

You can't series link with this device and it'll record weekend events if you set up a daily timer (sometimes BBC news for example jumps around PBS, this box cannot detect that in the EPG data so it can miss things).

Also you can't watch a previous recording while a current recording is ongoing (spoilers). To get around that you'd need a second box with a second hard drive and you'd have to have the presence of mind to swap drives over to your "playback box" if what you want to watch is on the disk that's in your "recording box" and you couldn't do that if the recording had already started so you'd be screwed.

It's not a DVR.

That's actually a bigger deal than in seems. What's the point of recording something if you are forced ro watch it as it is recording?

Don't waste time or money on a 1TB HDD for this box because you'll have a tonne of nonsense titles to scroll through before you find what you were looking for.

For $30 you cannot go wrong and this is awesome for watching live TV on the TV, but for a DVR just hook up a PC to your TV and run XBMC with Media Portal (you can record series links with a plugin).
You can't just change existing definitions of words/acronyms to suit yourself. A DVR has a definition and this fits it. It is a DVR. That's a fact. It's not an opinion and it's not something you get to decide based on your own personal whims. You may not like how it works but it doesn't change the fact that it is a DVR.

If you want the extra features and automation you're talking about, then like with any other product, you have to pay for it. If you want $400 features, you don't spend $30-$40 and then call it useless because it doesn't do what the $400 box does. That's like buying a bike and complaining that it doesn't have all the features of a car. People spend more money when they want more features. That is how all products work.

If you want to spend 1/10 of the price of the product that does what you want it to do, then there are going to be trade offs. It's either not going to do many of the things you want or you are going to have to do some extra work yourself to get what you want. Just like you have to pedal the bicycle instead of just stepping on the gas pedal, if you want your recordings nicely organized by name and sorted into folders then you have to take a few minutes every so often to do it yourself.

None of that changes the definition of what a DVR is or the fact that this is a DVR. I have major issues with the way the box functions myself and I've had many complaints about it, but I don't make up my own definitions and say it isn't what it is.
Aleron Ives's Avatar Aleron Ives 12:45 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
It's not a DVR TiVo.
Fixed. Why yes, you're absolutely correct.

The problem isn't that the iView lacks the features of the more expensive DVRs; that's a given. The problem is that the iView doesn't always implement the features it does support correctly, which leads to missed recordings.
Hairywoo 06:38 AM 08-04-2014
i fixed my problems i was having with jittery play back and extra long timeshift wait. i had the resolution set to 1080i when doing the initial set up with component cables. my reciever doesn't have hdmi so i was trying to run it through the surround sound but for some reason i wasn't getting any sound. i ended up just running hdmi from the iview directly to my TV but i never changed the resolution to 1080p. when i changed it to 1080p everything functions normally.
duracell80 08:58 AM 08-04-2014
It has STB in the model name which is suggestive of it not being a DVR.

Is it a Digital VCR? Why yes I do believe so but that doesn't make it a DVR. What defines that is features above and beyond recording. Like series link like EPG grid like folder structures and semantic data.

OK if it was 2008 this box would be amazing and it's not the price bringing it down.

I looked at more expensive ATSC DVRs and same thing the dual tuner ones don't have an EPG grid.

A DVR starts with the EPG and here in America EPG is a real issue holding back a lot of these devices. This particular DVR cannot store EPG data which makes it useless as a DVR.
jprc's Avatar jprc 10:54 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
It has STB in the model name which is suggestive of it not being a DVR.

Is it a Digital VCR? Why yes I do believe so but that doesn't make it a DVR. What defines that is features above and beyond recording. Like series link like EPG grid like folder structures and semantic data.

OK if it was 2008 this box would be amazing and it's not the price bringing it down.

I looked at more expensive ATSC DVRs and same thing the dual tuner ones don't have an EPG grid.

A DVR starts with the EPG and here in America EPG is a real issue holding back a lot of these devices. This particular DVR cannot store EPG data which makes it useless as a DVR.
Educate yourself on the basic terms you're discussing. This is ridiculous.
R Johnson's Avatar R Johnson 11:29 AM 08-04-2014
Quote:
... I looked at more expensive ATSC DVRs and same thing the dual tuner ones don't have an EPG grid.

As far as I can tell, if you want a full function EPG based device, you have to pay for a guide subscription one way or another. The PSIP data transmitted by each station is generally not adequate for that purpose. Many of us would prefer not to pay for a guide.

The iView provides high quality recording capability very economically. Recording capacity is limited only to the number and sizes of drives you wish to use. Of course it helps to connect the drive(s) to a computer to rename and organize recordings you wish to keep.

There are many improvements I'd like to see on the iView. But it's not likely that it will ever satisfy your definition of a "DVR".
mdavej's Avatar mdavej 01:40 PM 08-04-2014
If you are open to using a PC in the mix, you should forget the iView and use HDHomeRun and Windows Media Center. Guide data is free on that platform, and it's a full featured DVR. I use WMC for my main system and iView where a PC is not convenient.
duracell80 05:41 PM 08-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
If you are open to using a PC in the mix, you should forget the iView and use HDHomeRun and Windows Media Center. Guide data is free on that platform, and it's a full featured DVR. I use WMC for my main system and iView where a PC is not convenient.
The HDHR's are great aren't they? I have one in the basement and a cat 5 run into the office where the computer lives.

I have some great FFMPEG scripts that transcode the recordings to MP4. But it still remains not on my TV in the lounge. I have to run EPG collector a few times a day to get the gride view in XBMC through Media Portal on an Android TV box connected to the TV.

My issue is all of that isn't a box connected to the TV that non-techies can use.

The iView can get free EPG data. What it cannot do is save this meta data and thus make filenames such as showtitle-channel-date.mts which is my point about it being useless as a DVR.

If the iView saved to EPG data it clearly collects (ie it handwrites its own recording look up table), it can figure out what it has recorded.

Ok if it is a DVR, it's not a very self aware one. It's a dumb recorder like a VCR. In the sense that you record something but it never had any meta data on the tape.

I know what a DVR is and what is ridiculous is that one user who is handwriting a lookup table to match filename to show title.

That data is there the iView can read the EPG why shouldn't we expect it to save the show title in the filename? Thus becoming a usable DVR.

If it did save EPG data, it could create an EPG grid even with one tuner.

I'm talking about usability!!

Have I been over critical? Yes. Is this almost there as a DVR? Yes, the issue I've highlighted is a real concern and makes it less useful as a DVR.
duracell80 06:01 PM 08-04-2014
I should add that I brought this not for myself. I can use it with its quirks, the people I brought it for are going to be utterly confused by the iView.

Anyways I didn't mean to cause offense, it's clearly for the price and lack of functionality one of the best out therw in this price range.

It's a converter box that can record like a VCR. It records based on time and date (like a VCR). The EPG as far as I can see is just a list of those V+ codes we had in the printed TV Guide in the 80's so you didn't have to program the start time and channel.

That simply doesn't make it a DVR.

EPG is critical to a DVR.

What would make it a DVR is if I could set it to record the Price Is Right (on a series link) and it know that the show doesn't air on the weekendso don't record it but on a Monday it is on an hour earlier and on a Tuesday it is on an hour later. (Just an example).

The iView cannot do that because the EPG is divorced from the scheduler.
duracell80 11:57 AM 08-05-2014
I created a Windows Batch file to move recordings into channel folders.

You'll need to take your HDD or flash drive to your computer and move the following file to the HBPVR folder.

www.leejordan.org.uk/hbpvr/move2ch.bat

Create your channel folders based on your recording filenames and in the BAT file edit the line set "list =" with your channel names.

When you run this it will organise the recordings into channel folders to at least shorten the list of recordings.

What is very odd is my iView is creating files with dates 20 years into the future (in the meta data of the file).

So my filenames are like ABC-08022014-1830.mts but the date created shows up in Windows as 26/7/2034 .... anyone else see this?

I can't then rename the files from the date created because it's obviously not recording the date properly. I couldn't figure out how to further structure the files. I would like /ABC/MONDAY/recording-date-time.mts.
StumpZ's Avatar StumpZ 12:40 PM 08-05-2014
Couple quick questions on this tuner:

I cut the cord a couple months on cable. Have a OTA mounted outside and everything was fine. I just realized that I still have cable service for free. It is basic high def but at least I have ESPN, etc.

My bedroom TV is fine as it has an internal tuner but my great room Panasonic plasma is a model that doesn't have a internal tuner. I get the channels but they are not HD.

Will this tuner take incoming cable and run it to through via an HDMI cable to my plasma? I wouldn't really use the DVR stuff at all but for this price I would get it to have the free cable that could be cut any day.

Thanks.
First ... 112  113  114 115  116  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop