iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 114 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #3391 of 3395 Old Today, 12:53 PM

Location: Maryland North of Washington D.C. and West of Baltimore MD.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Problem: My USB powered hard drive is ticking and the iView is unable to find anything (files or folder structure) on the HD. This is after a few months of it working flawlessly.

I tested the HD on my laptop and it works fine. I tested a self power HD on the iView and it worked fine. I tested the USB powered HD on the iView and it started ticking again.

Conclusion: the iView didn't have enough power to run the USB HD.

Quick fix for the problem: Buy or make a USB cable that has both the normal data/power from the iView as well as another plug for just additional power input from an AC USB power supply, I used a 5V, 2A USB wall power supply which wasn't doing anything.

This worked just fine and has now been doing so for about a month.

Initial worry: I was worried that the USB HD would remain in the On condition, it does not. When the iView turns off it must be sending an off signal to the USB HD because it too turns off. Using a switching USB AC power supply means that when the HD turns off the power usage goes way down, less than 1 watt since the Kill-O-Watt meter cannot measure it.

They used to make these things for USB external HDs but not any longer that I know of. Also, I've never seen one for a USB 2 and 3 type external HD, which is what mine is & I think all new ones are.

Rather than modifying the USB cord that came with the HD, I bought two USB 2 extension cables and combined them into the Y-cable needed with two inputs and one output. Buy two of the same type cable and then wire the same color wires together and it should be fine. NOTE: We're only going to patch in the power wires NOT the signal wires from the extra power input plug.

Before you do this buy some large heat shrink tubing to cover it all when you're done.

You only need to attach the red & black wires for the extra USB plug to the AC power supply. DO NOT CUT the other two wires on the one cable that is supplying both power and signal, those are the signal wires. When you are done connecting the power wires and soldering them cover them with tape or plastic dip. Once finished, wrap some aluminum foil over this area, make sure it connects to the previous shielding from the two cables. Now shrink the tubing over this area to both protect the area and to force a good connection with the original shielding and the new aluminum foil wrapped around the area. Having too much shielding is better than not having enough.

Test it on something other than your HD, perhaps a USB light if you have one. Make sure both inputs can supply power to the device under test ONE AT A TIME. I have a third USB extension cable with the power wires cut so I can test how much voltage and/or current is on the line to the device under test so you might want to buy a third USB extension cable for this type of testing. It does not have to be the same manufacturer as the other two since we're not wiring anything together.

Good-luck & I hope that if you've been having a similar problem this will give you the solution you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3392 of 3395 Old Today, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairywoo View Post
hello all,

i just recently received my 3500STB2 and have an issue i'd like to share and possibly get some input.

i connected this hardrive in a 3.0 usb enclosure to the iview:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and when i go to timeshift on the iview it takes about 2 minutes or longer to pause even when i hit play the playback is extra jumpy and unwatchable. the same can be said for playback on any recording i've made.

i'm guessing that my hardrive is too slow for proper recording and playback?

if that's the case then i need help picking out a suitable replacement. i'd like to stay as affordable as possible while still maintaining quality and enough speed to work properly.

i've found these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FE2N1WS/...3083CZL3&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E3W15P0/...CF34C0HL&psc=1

one is half the price of the other but i'm not sure if it's fast enough. any comments or suggestions?
Any hard drive should be fast enough to handle this. It could be your enclosure or the connectors that are causing the problem or there could be a problem with the drive or it could just be a random incompatibility/bug. The iview is very finicky, often with no rhyme or reason. But the speed of any modern hard drive is not going to be the issue.

I also always suggest using externally powered drives when possible. And if you have weak signal and/or indoor antenna then you will have to spend some time rearranging your equipment for least interference, but that will not cause a 2 minute delay when hitting the pause button so I think you have some kind of hardware problem either on the iview, the drive, the enclosure, or the connectors.

Last edited by jprc; Today at 02:12 PM.
post #3393 of 3395 Old Today, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duracell80 View Post
I should say my recording title workaround involves using a USB tuner on my PC for EPGCollector
to get the data. Media Portal can get EPG from IMDB without using a tuner.

More thoughts on PVR function:

0. When exiting PVR mode it should return to live TV and to exit you should be able to press PVR again (to save looking for the exit button).

1. Playback should be fullscreen by default.

2. When skipping, pressing play will pause the video instead of playing, unless you've already pressed it once. The play pause button should not pause when in skipping mode.

2.1. Agreed with all skipping comments the skip should be 30 seconds not speed based.

3. When recording it's annoying to have the "Rec 00:38:00" box in the top left corner. That should timeout and pop back up when you attempt to interupt the recording.

3.1. If a HDD is attached it should be fast enough to allow you to watch a recording while a current recording is on going. I can only think the flash drive option is what held back this functionality.

4. Pressing info should bring up meta data like show title and description rather than technical details.

5. Aspect ratio cannot be changed when in playback mode.

I'll keep playing and see what other user interface snags I can find.
You can get immediate fullscreen playback by hitting the Play button.
You can get rid of the REC timer onscreen by hitting Exit.
Press Info twice for show decription.
Although you can't watch a separate recording while recording another, you can watch/timeshift a program at the same time that you are recording it when using a hard drive.

Don't expect the filename change to EPG info you requested. The iview does not record by EPG, it records by time. Although you can use the EPG as a shortcut to program a recording, it is not using the EPG at all for the recording. It simply starts at the specified time and goes for the number of minutes until the end time. It does not know what program it is. The filename of a program is station and date/time because that is the programmed info and that is all it knows.
post #3394 of 3395 Old Today, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Don't expect the filename change to EPG info you requested. The iview does not record by EPG, it records by time.
That's not necessarily a true limitation, though. The TViX records by time, too, but all recordings are named with date, time and the name of the program as provided by PSIP. The iView's programmers are just too lazy to pick up the PSIP name and append it to the filename.
post #3395 of 3395 Old Today, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
That's not necessarily a true limitation, though. The TViX records by time, too, but all recordings are named with date, time and the name of the program as provided by PSIP. The iView's programmers are just too lazy to pick up the PSIP name and append it to the filename.
Well, I said don't expect it. I didn't say it was impossible. And because of iview not having it's own clock, appending PSIP info wouldn't be very useful to most people since everyone I know sets their timer to begin several minutes before the program, so it would actually have the wrong program name. If you're going to have to change the name anyway or remember or write down what programs are playing before each program you record so that you can figure out which program it really is, that just doesn't seem very useful to me. But either way, we can't expect iview to change it realistically.

Last edited by jprc; Today at 03:29 PM.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page