17Likes

post #3481 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Problem is, the stupid Sony blu-ray player said "cannot recognize the USB device connected to the front panel".
"The one and only." Guess this really isn't a "piece of junk" after all.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3482 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanginghelmet View Post
So if I can get the firmware update that JH mentioned will that allow me to get all my basic cable channels? Why I purchased this box is because I don't have a cable box and the tv tuner on my plasma tv stopped working. I used to get channels like ESPN, TBS, TNT,etc. After purchasing this and doing the scan, all I get are the OTA HD channels.
Most likely, your tv tuner didn't really stop working. Rather your cable company now requires a cable box. If that's the case, iView won't work for you. I'd look into a cable card tuner from Ceton or Silicon Dust if you don't want to rent a cable box or get a Tivo. Samsung also makes a cable card tuner which is stand-alone.
post #3483 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I can't find KenH's sticky about the tuner comparisons...can you give me the link?
post #3484 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know the link. But all you really need to decide is how many tuners and internal or external. They come in 2, 3, 4 or 6 tuners per card. My 6 tuner Ceton is wonderful. It's light years beyond iView. I run a 5 TV whole home DVR system with mine from a $150 computer. Works with a regular remote, so to the end user, it works just like a cable DVR.

Samsung is just a cable box you can buy. No DVR capability. Pretty long payback period on that, since you're only saving $5 per month over renting a cable box. In a big system like mine, I'm saving $50 per month.

iView however, is perfect for my kids who are on a clear QAM system and have limited funds.

So I'm not bashing iView. I'm just offering alternatives in cases it won't work at all, like your case.
post #3485 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 08:27 PM

I'm not really looking for DVR function. I just want a tuner that will replace what my TV tuner did. Is there such a tuner out there?
post #3486 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 293
If mdavej's assumption is correct (which seems likely), it's called a cable box, and you only need to call your cable company to request one (which may come with an associated monthly fee).
post #3487 of 3509 Old 08-16-2014, 10:57 PM

I don't think you're understanding me. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee for a cable box from the cable company. Time Warner hasn't changed anything as I have 2 other tvs in the house where the cable is plugged into them and I still get all my basic channels. All I want to know ifs there a cable tv tuner box that I can purchase that will give me exactly all of the channels I was able to get with the cable plugged into the back of my LG Plasma tv

Last edited by hanginghelmet; 08-16-2014 at 11:06 PM.
post #3488 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 01:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 293
There isn't exactly a big market for tuners, since it's assumed that your TV will already have one. Buying an iView or Homeworx will probably be about the same price, or possibly cheaper, than whatever tuner-only alternative you might be able to find. I for one don't know of any.
post #3489 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think you're understanding me. I don't want to have to pay a monthly fee for a cable box from the cable company. Time Warner hasn't changed anything as I have 2 other tvs in the house where the cable is plugged into them and I still get all my basic channels. All I want to know ifs there a cable tv tuner box that I can purchase that will give me exactly all of the channels I was able to get with the cable plugged into the back of my LG Plasma tv
Given this new info, iView or an old VCR should work for you. I didn't realize your other TVs still worked without a box.

To buy just a cable box, get the Samsung. You'll at least have to rent a cable card in that case. My cable company charges $2. TWC should be similar.
post #3490 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:45 AM

The Iview is only giving me the local HD channels nothing else. My basic cable package includes ESPN, TBS, TLC, TNT, etc which I get on my other TV's with just the cable plugged into the back of the tvs.
post #3491 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
The Iview is only giving me the local HD channels nothing else. My basic cable package includes ESPN, TBS, TLC, TNT, etc which I get on my other TV's with just the cable plugged into the back of the tvs.
I'm in the exact same boat. My bedroom LCD gets basic HD service but I can't pick up anything but OTA HD channels with the iView. I guess I will try V3 firmware?
post #3492 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 07:04 AM

I tried the v3 firmware and still had the same results as before. Let me know if it works for you!!
post #3493 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Then those are most likely still analog. You can just pick up an old VCR at goodwill for next to nothing.
videobruce likes this.
post #3494 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 117
You guys have to understand, are those stations analog or digital? If they are digital, they would have to be 'in the clear' to be received w/o a CC device. If they actually are in the clear, then it is the problem of how they are ID'd. Either by the physical channel number or the virtual number. That will depend on the cable operator.

On your 'TV' how are the numbers labeled; whole numbers or number with a decimal point? 2 vs 2.1?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3495 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
I can't find KenH's sticky about the tuner comparisons...can you give me the link?
The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis!
Had a hard time finding it, it used to be a sticky thread at the top of the HDTV Technical forum, moderators must have unstuck it
post #3496 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 05:39 PM

My new Iview box with the 3/4 switch has a menu item under the "Channel Search" menu called "Antenna Power". The only options are on and off. Anyone know what this is? Firmware version 20130305V2. I couldn't find anything on it in the first few posts of this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
post #3497 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post
My new Iview box with the 3/4 switch has a menu item under the "Channel Search" menu called "Antenna Power". The only options are on and off. Anyone know what this is? Firmware version 20130305V2. I couldn't find anything on it in the first few posts of this thread.

What it should do is provide power to an amplifier. Although I have no explanation for this, it improves my signal without an amp via my indoor antenna.
post #3498 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:08 PM

Hmmm, I have an amplified antenna. I'll have to see if this can power it somehow.

post #3499 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
What it should do is provide power to an amplifier. Although I have no explanation for this, it improves my signal without an amp via my indoor antenna.
Presumably it supplies DC voltage to the RF input, replacing a power injector. But to be useful, you'd need to know what voltage and polarity it provides so you could buy an amp that required what it provides.

Someone should measure it with a voltmeter and post the results. I'd do it myself but I don't actually have an iView; just a Homeworx with iView firmware.
post #3500 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
It should be 5V. I lost my voltmeter last time I moved so I can't confirm.
post #3501 of 3509 Old 08-17-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Sounds to me like you have both analog and digital (QAM) channels in your basic package. Boxes like the iView can only receive the digital ones, but your TV's can receive both analog and digital. All HD channels are digital, but SD channels could be either.

The good news is, your cable company will probably replace analog channels with digital ones over time, since digital is much more efficient. The bad news is, they're also likely to encrypt more and more channels over time, and may encrypt them all at some point.

So with luck, your iView may become more useful for a while, but will eventually become less useful and eventually completely useless. (So will your TVs.) In the long run, you'll eventually need a CableCARD from your cable co. and a compatible tuner (and/or a TV antenna ).
post #3502 of 3509 Old 08-18-2014, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
"The one and only." Guess this really isn't a "piece of junk" after all.
Oh, they're all pieces of junk.

After I re-replaced my ChannelMaster CECB in place if the iView, it started acting flaky. It was doing something that it's done before occasionally, turning itself off without warning (red indicator light), then I used to be able to turn it back on.

I say I "used" to be able to turn it back on. Now that ChannelMaster box is inoperable, with the red indicator light always on, no way to start it. So I dug up an identical box that I bought for obscure reasons (back-up is good enough, I guess), and replaced my now-brick ChannelMaster box with the other one.

Of course it works fine, but here's the deal on that: I only used the box briefly to see if it worked several years ago. About the third time I turned it on, it couldn't receive any channels, no matter what type of RF input I gave it. So I thought the thing was an infant death victim and threw it in the discarded electronics box six friggin' years ago.

Now it works perfectly. This is just like the tuner on my stupid Sony TV, stops working for several months, then starts working again. I have little doubt that years from now the recently-deceased ChannelMaster box with the eternal red indicator light will rise again from the ashes...

To sum up, all modern electronix sux...

--
max
post #3503 of 3509 Old 08-18-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I know this is OT, but on your dead CM-7000, I'd open it up and check the power supply board for bulging electrolytic caps. The symptoms sound identical to an Olevia TV I own and that was the problem there.

Of course it may be too late - the whole power supply may be shot now - but it's worth a try.
post #3504 of 3509 Old 08-18-2014, 05:01 PM

Will the PrimeDTV PHD-VRX2 work for what I am trying to do? The specs say it has 2 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners. It says "you can connect your digital and analog (NTSC) cable signals as well as digital broadcasting signal to tuner 1, and connect all digital signals to tuner 2"
post #3505 of 3509 Old 08-18-2014, 05:56 PM

Tried firmware V3, nothing. V1 firmware gets me more channels but not ESPN and others. Damn.
post #3506 of 3509 Old 08-18-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Will the PrimeDTV PHD-VRX2 work for what I am trying to do? The specs say it has 2 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners. It says "you can connect your digital and analog (NTSC) cable signals as well as digital broadcasting signal to tuner 1, and connect all digital signals to tuner 2"
Looks like it will work fine on paper. But are you sure you want to spend that much money just to avoid getting a cable box? You could rent a box for a couple of years and even buy most of a new TV for that kind of money.

Also consider that analog and QAM are going away soon (as pointed out by others before) and you'll be left with an expensive door stop. I still think a cable card tuner would be a much wiser move and is only $2.50 per month. You can't even get a Starbucks for that.
jjeff likes this.
post #3507 of 3509 Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Will the PrimeDTV PHD-VRX2 work for what I am trying to do? The specs say it has 2 ATSC/QAM/NTSC tuners. It says "You can connect your digital and analog (NTSC) cable signals as well as digital broadcasting signal to tuner 1, and connect all digital signals to tuner 2"
The PHD-VRX2 will tune both analog and unencrypted QAM (digital) channels, same as your TVs; it will only record the digital ones (same as the iView) but you can watch the analog ones live. More info here: ePVision PHD-VRX & VRX2 Owners Thread

It is a 2-tuner DVR, so you can record two (digital) channels at once, or record one while watching another; but that makes it rather pricey at around $200. So the payback vs. a cable box could be a pretty long time.
post #3508 of 3509 Old 08-19-2014, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd still go with a VCR for analog and keep the iView for digital. Cheapest route by far.
post #3509 of 3509 Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I saw your first message right after I posted mine, and basically agree. But I guess @hanginghelmet is looking for one box to tune both analog and digital.

Among DVRs, the Digital Stream is the cheapest one I know of with analog capability. It only lets you record one show at a time, but that should be OK since he was fine with that limitation in the iView. It still costs a lot more than an iView plus an old VCR, though.

I know how he feels - I too would resent having to pay my cable co. monthly for a box just to watch the shows I was already paying them for. But if you're looking at $170 just to avoid a $5/mo. charge, that's a 3-year payback period, and I doubt analog or even clear QAM will last that long.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page