iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 118 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 130Likes

post #3511 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

If you need QAM (digital cable) you'll probably have the best luck with V1; aside from QAM I'm not sure if there are any differences between the four versions in the .zip file.

I hope videobruce puts a link to this firmware in post 5 soon. My links keep getting lost as more folks post.
I'm sorry, but there is no link to new firmware in the link you have above. As a matter of fact the link in post 5 still has the warning not to d/l it if you have a 3/4 switch on the back. Is there or is there not new firmware for the box?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 AM

So, which of these is the firmware I want to use?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asu046c7h...1pROv_lfa?dl=0
Missed one: usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-07-2014 at 03:32 AM.
post #3513 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I updated post 5 with links to the two firmware versions that are on their web site.
Reference to older firmware versions were removed due to questionable accuracy. Sorry, for the inconvenience, but I didn't want someone flashing the wrong version to one of these new boxes.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1977. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??

post #3514 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 AM

So, here they are:
READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.

File Version Size Date
IVIEW-3500STBII 10/13 3/10/2014
IVIEW-3500STBII 9 3.2MB 1/7/2014

is the top one, usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin The one for the 3/4 box? The bottom one is v9 I believe while the top is 10 and 13(that's what's so confusing to me)? I had the v13 already downloaded before. V13a_122713
Or--- does that warning apply to both?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-07-2014 at 05:04 AM.
post #3515 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am having a problem. I have ClearQAM on campus and an LG TV decodes all 120 channels fine, but with the Iview 3500II unit, I am having about half of the channels being decoded as music and not getting any video. Getting the same on several other inexpensive decoders. Any ideas on what is happening or what is the best software that avoids this behavior.

Thanks
post #3516 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2273 Post(s)
Liked: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp226 View Post
I am having a problem. I have ClearQAM on campus and an LG TV decodes all 120 channels fine, but with the Iview 3500II unit, I am having about half of the channels being decoded as music and not getting any video. Getting the same on several other inexpensive decoders. Any ideas on what is happening or what is the best software that avoids this behavior.

Thanks
You have to get the original 3500 and load the latest firmware, or figure out which of the 20 firmware versions to load on the II.
post #3517 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 AM

STB-3500 Wanted Dead Or Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
My iView decided to take labor day seriously and stopped working completely today. Well, I just thought that was kind of funny, so humor me for sharing. Anyway, it's officially dead. I wasn't using it when it happened. It was plugged into a surge protector so shouldn't have been a power surge and my electricity didn't go off at any point. Left it unplugged for an hour and plugged back into a couple different sockets. No signs of life. Took it apart and reset all the connectors and air dusted it, although there was no visible dust in there anyway. No signs of damage inside and nothing loose. The USB died awhile ago so I was only using it as a third tuner. RIP.
Would you be willing to sell me your dead iView?
If so just PM me.

Thanks
post #3518 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by dp226 View Post

Thanks
There is no known solution. Just part of the problem these boxes have tuning in QAM. You can try different firmware just in case you get lucky, but don't expect anything.
post #3519 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mike View Post
Would you be willing to sell me your dead iView?
If so just PM me.

Thanks
Already had it picked up for electronic recycling with my old crt.
post #3520 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Timerguy, you can either contact iview and get firmware for your box, which is what I recommend since you seem to not understand warning messages and are set on bricking your iview. Or you can use the file posted in post 3476 which you were already linked to.
post #3521 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
There is no known solution. Just part of the problem these boxes have tuning in QAM. You can try different firmware just in case you get lucky, but don't expect anything.
I've got exactly the same problem... I've emailed iView over a week ago and haven't gotten any response. I just bought a Hauppauge USB tuner so that I can get all the channels, seems to be the only other option in this price range. Still not sure if I will return the iView or keep it for the 20 or so channels I do get with it.
post #3522 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
I've got exactly the same problem... I've emailed iView over a week ago and haven't gotten any response. I just bought a Hauppauge USB tuner so that I can get all the channels, seems to be the only other option in this price range. Still not sure if I will return the iView or keep it for the 20 or so channels I do get with it.
As I said before, original 3500 works fine. II with 3/4 switch does not. Get an original. Mine was $25 shipped on ebay. So you've got practically nothing to lose.

Or use a Homerun and WMC and all these issues go away, and you get a full guide and correctly named recordings, all for the price of 2 iViews.
post #3523 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 PM

OTA Only ----> STB-II Vs Original

I haven't been following this topic for awhile now.

I see iView has another STB, Which is designated as the 3500II which has a slide switch to choose either channels 3 or 4, rather than that being a menu choice.

After looking at several pages of previous posts I either missed it or didn't clearly understand the major differences between the original STB and the latest offering. From what I've read, most issues/problems with the newer STB has to do with QAM and cable reception in general. Which seem to be the same old problem we've seen since inception.

I checked the first few posts to see if Bruce made any comments regarding the differences. Did not see anything there. Other than the various firmware upgrades.

My question.... For OTA use only are there any known issues with the new model?

I want to purchase a second 3500. Should it matter to me (OTA only) it I get a new model or should I look for an older model.

Last edited by Mister_Mike; 09-07-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Title wrong
post #3524 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mike View Post
I haven't been following this topic for awhile now.

I see iView has another STB, Which is designated as the 3500II which has a slide switch to choose either channels 3 or 4, rather than that being a menu choice.

After looking at several pages of previous posts I either missed it or didn't clearly understand the major differences between the original STB and the latest offering. From what I've read, most issues/problems with the newer STB has to do with QAM and cable reception in general. Which seem to be the same old problem we've seen since inception.

I checked the first few posts to see if Bruce made any comments regarding the differences. Did not see anything there. Other than the various firmware upgrades.

My question.... For OTA use only are there any known issues with the new model?

I want to purchase a second 3500. Should it matter to me (OTA only) it I get a new model or should I look for an older model.
There are three versions. 3500STB, 3500STBII, and 3500STBII with 3/4 switch.

For OTA it should not matter.

The USB is powered differently on the 2nd model, which you can find pictures of in the thread if that interests you, and you get a better remote with either of the II versions. If you are using with an analog TV or TV without a tuner, you may want the physical switch, although it's not necessary. If you want to use loop through, apparently not an option with the switch, but it may not work on the other models anyway or may only work partially so I recommend a splitter anyway.
post #3525 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
As I said before, original 3500 works fine. II with 3/4 switch does not. Get an original. Mine was $25 shipped on ebay. So you've got practically nothing to lose.

Or use a Homerun and WMC and all these issues go away, and you get a full guide and correctly named recordings, all for the price of 2 iViews.
I will pick up an original 3500 on eBay if I find a good deal, but I think you lucked out with your $25.00 unit as I can't find any near that price. I bought my 3/4 unit from Amazon so hopefully they will let me return it open box (especially since it doesn't even do what it purports to). But I've already sunk more money into this than I wanted to... Wouldn't even be so bad if I had gotten any response at all from their support.

Thanks for your help. This is a long thread and it's hard to find pertinent information so I really appreciate the extra effort.
post #3526 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 05:12 PM

I'm going to go test if pass through works on my 3/4 model since that seems to be a hot topic these last few pages. Will report back in a few minutes.

Edit: No option in the settings for pass-thru, so I suppose it's switch only for channels 3/4. This is on the V1 firmware posted elsewhere in the thread.

Last edited by IrDewey; 09-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
post #3527 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 07:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked: 860
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericc123 View Post
I called them last a few days ago asking about the firmware and they emailed me the files momentarily. They gave me firmware V1, V2, V2A and V3. I flashed V3 and it allowed my box to receive the cable channels. Here you go.

firedrive.com/file/A4AB3EEBBFC31291

My box has the 3/4 switch on the back.
The OP left off the http: part, so you can't click on it but if you copy the above link and paste it into your browser it should work

Edit: This was in respone to TimerGuy.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 09-07-2014 at 07:21 PM.
post #3528 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 07:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerguy View Post
So, which of these is the firmware I want to use?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asu046c7h...1pROv_lfa?dl=0
Missed one: usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin
None of those firmware versions are for the new boxes with the channel 3/4 switch. They are all for the 3500STB or original 3500STBII. The last three, along with the flashAA.bin you mentioned, all appear to be the same: V13, which is the latest firmware version for the two older iView models.

See my previous post for firmware for the new iViews with the channel 3/4 switch.
post #3529 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Well, that's assuming you already have a PC and a version of Windows that includes WMC. Windows 7 Home Premium included it, but with Windows 8, you need Windows 8 "Professional" (plus $10 to unlock WMC, IIRC). Not sure which version of Vista you need for WMC.

If you don't have the right version of Windows, it's going to cost you at least 2-3 more iViews to upgrade.
post #3530 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Not sure which version of Vista you need for WMC.
I've got it on Vista Home Premium, FWIW.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #3531 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1692 Post(s)
Liked: 1449
If you're looking for a more reliable HTPC option, you could always install Mythbuntu for free, instead of dealing with expensive Windows licenses and WMC. The only disadvantage of using something other than WMC is that you can't record copy-once channels with it, but the iView can't handle encrypted cable at all, so WMC and the iView are in totally different DVR categories to begin with.
post #3532 of 5185 Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
I will pick up an original 3500 on eBay if I find a good deal, but I think you lucked out with your $25.00 unit as I can't find any near that price. I bought my 3/4 unit from Amazon so hopefully they will let me return it open box (especially since it doesn't even do what it purports to). But I've already sunk more money into this than I wanted to... Wouldn't even be so bad if I had gotten any response at all from their support.

Thanks for your help. This is a long thread and it's hard to find pertinent information so I really appreciate the extra effort.
I ordered three original 3500's from Amazon but received three II's with the 3/4 switch. Returned all three for a full refund because they weren't as described. Very frustrating.

I probably did get lucky on ebay, as the originals have gotten more valuable lately.

I got the iView for one of my kids in college, for whom it works fine. I personally use WMC which I highly recommend if you have a bigger budget. Mine has already paid for itself several times over.
post #3533 of 5185 Old 09-08-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
None of those firmware versions are for the new boxes with the channel 3/4 switch. They are all for the 3500STB or original 3500STBII. The last three, along with the flashAA.bin you mentioned, all appear to be the same: V13, which is the latest firmware version for the two older iView models.

See my previous post for firmware for the new iViews with the channel 3/4 switch.
Problem was, I wasn't directed to that link but to another one that had nothing to do with the firmware in question. Needless to say, that confused me. I have now downloaded the 4 files that came with the Zip.
Quote:
Timerguy, you can either contact iview and get firmware for your box, which is what I recommend since you seem to not understand warning messages and are set on bricking your iview. Or you can use the file posted in post 3476 which you were already linked to.
I guess you had a hard time understanding that was exactly why I was questioning what/where the firmware I might need when my box is delivered today--I don't know precisely which one I'm getting. So I was merely trying to get prepared for the possibility I might need different than what I already have.

Next Question: does the usb port provide power to run a 1tb external drive? In particular this one: Toshiba Canvio Connect 1TB Portable External Hard Drive which does not have a AC adapter. Will that drive work with my new box?
Also since I'm going to be hooking the box up via HDMI the 3/4 switch might not be a problem anyhow. Is this a correct assumption?

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-08-2014 at 06:59 AM.
post #3534 of 5185 Old 09-08-2014, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Also since I'm going to be hooking the box up via HDMI the 3/4 switch might not be a problem anyhow. Is this a correct assumption?
The 3/4 switch is indicative of a new hardware revision (i.e. completely new circuitry) and has little to do with the actual switch itself. This hardware revision has a lot of issues, and quite frankly is not ready for production, but it seems to work for OTA if that's what you plan to use it for.
post #3535 of 5185 Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
If you're looking for a more reliable HTPC option, you could always install Mythbuntu for free, instead of dealing with expensive Windows licenses and WMC. The only disadvantage of using something other than WMC is that you can't record copy-once channels with it, but the iView can't handle encrypted cable at all, so WMC and the iView are in totally different DVR categories to begin with.
The other disadvantage is you don't get WMC's free guide. But, a Schedules Direct subscription is only $25/year, which is less than an iView every 20 months or so, so it's still a pretty good deal.
post #3536 of 5185 Old 09-08-2014, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Problem was, I wasn't directed to that link but to another one that had nothing to do with the firmware in question. Needless to say, that confused me. I have now downloaded the 4 files that came with the Zip.
That's weird. It took me right to the correct post when I clicked on it. Oh well, at least you have the right firmware for your box now.
Quote:
Next Question: does the usb port provide power to run a 1tb external drive? In particular this one: Toshiba Canvio Connect 1TB Portable External Hard Drive which does not have a AC adapter. Will that drive work with my new box?
It's only 3" wide so it must be a 2.5" drive inside. That should work.
Quote:
The switch isn't a problem (unless you were counting on RF loop-through), just an easy way to tell which firmware you need without opening up the box.

Technical description: IView changed the demod chip inside at the same time they changed the RF modulator. The new RF modulator has the channel 3/4 switch, but it's the new demod chip that requires the new firmware.
post #3537 of 5185 Old 09-08-2014, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I've got both an iView 3500STB and a 3500STBII (3/4 switch). I use them to record OTA. The big difference I have seen is that the 3500STBII won't wake up from being off and record like the 3500STB, but if you leave the STBII on it will record off of all of the channels I receive unlike the original STB. For OTA I think that the 3500STBII (3/4 switch) is the better deal since it seems to not miss recordings. Of course I've only run test runs so far. We will see how it does during the upcoming TV season. I'm using Toshiba Canvio 1 and 2T USB powered drives.

It's 2015 and you're still paying for television?
post #3538 of 5185 Old 09-09-2014, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Which firmware versions are on your two iViews?
post #3539 of 5185 Old 09-09-2014, 10:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Already had it picked up for electronic recycling with my old crt.
There are places that recycle electronics...(at what cost?) .... darn have a whole room full of obsolete & broken stuff.

BOT the iView have a metal or plastic shielded case?
post #3540 of 5185 Old 09-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
There are places that recycle electronics...(at what cost?) .... darn have a whole room full of obsolete & broken stuff.

BOT the iView have a metal or plastic shielded case?
In California, it's the law. You have to recycle electronics. In my city, there's an organization that will pick them up for free.

It was metal.

Edit: I should mention that we also pay mandatory electronic recycling fees here, so even though it's free when you actually are ready to recycle, in most cases you've already paid for it when you purchased, at least with any major purchase.

Last edited by jprc; 09-09-2014 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page