Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3511 of 3868 Old 08-27-2014, 06:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Firmware for 3500STB AND 3500STBII?

When I installed the v13 firmware on my 3500STB in the info screen it also showed 3500II.Can you use the firmware upgrades for the 3500STBII on there website for ether box as long as it does not have a 3/4 switch on the back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 3868 Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Yes. The firmware will display the box model it was written for, but it's compatible with the older boxes as well. Only the latest boxes (with the channel 3/4 switch) are incompatible with V13.

If you still have the remote that came with your 3500STB, you'll find some of the buttons don't function as labeled with V13. The 3500STBII's shipped with the new remotes, a few of the buttons are different, and the V13 firmware was written for the new button layout. If this bugs you, you can buy one of the new remotes from iView for $10 (free shipping). You'll probably like it better anyway.
post #3513 of 3868 Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Well I'm an idiot and I flashed the newest firmware for the older revision on my brand new device (flashed the non-3/4-switched firmware onto my 3/4-switched device). The device still turns on and the menu seems to function otherwise, but it won't search for channels anymore. Is there a copy of the original firmware I can flash back onto my device?
post #3514 of 3868 Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

It's a .zip file with four firmware versions for the new boxes. Good luck.
post #3515 of 3868 Old 08-27-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

It's a .zip file with four firmware versions for the new boxes. Good luck.

Thank you! It flashed fine and is scanning channels now. I'll report back if/when I get results.

Edit: It worked. Had to flash V1 since I have physical QAM channels here. Tried V3 at first but then read more of the thread and realized why it wasn't finding anything. Didn't try V2 or V2a.

Edit2: OK, it found a bunch of TV channels which is good, but there are whole blocks of channels that it sees as "radio" channels, which doesn't really make sense because I'm on cable. The channels show up fine on my other TV. It does the same thing when I search manually or auto. Tried the other firmwares in the zip (2 and 2a), and neither would pick up the physical QAM signals.

Last edited by IrDewey; 08-27-2014 at 08:12 PM.
post #3516 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
Edit2: OK, it found a bunch of TV channels which is good, but there are whole blocks of channels that it sees as "radio" channels, which doesn't really make sense because I'm on cable. The channels show up fine on my other TV. It does the same thing when I search manually or auto. Tried the other firmwares in the zip (2 and 2a), and neither would pick up the physical QAM signals.
What are these 'radio' channels referenced in the Manual? As this is similar to the HomeWorx 150, & seems that manual in some places seemed copied verbatim, aside of the extra front LED & the Display (which the thumbing through manual didn't clarify what it is for.. channel number?) I'm planning on using this strictly OTA.

How would the OTA Tuner stack up against the HomeWorx 150?

Also as this is not reccommended to be used with a flash drive, are these compatible with a SSHD?
post #3517 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:33 PM

I assume the "radio" mode is for picking up local music radio stations, since when I switch to that mode the screen just shows some music note and plays the audio. I have no clue why this is deciding that certain cable channels are radio channels, and then only plays the audio...
post #3518 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This is just a guess as I've never picked up any "radio" channels, but I think those are supposed to be audio-only channels. The "radio" label is probably misleading since they aren't AM, FM, or even so-called "HD radio;" they're just digital subchannels that don't happen to include a video stream.

Audio-only channels can exist either OTA or over cable, but they're pretty uncommon OTA. We used to have a few in DFW but they went away before I got my first Homeworx.

Also, AFAIK the iView and Homeworx have the same tuner, and the same one of two demodulators. The "new" iViews (with the channel 3/4 switch) and "new" HWs (with V1 firmware) have an MStar demodulator; the older ones have a Samsung demodulator. So I'd expect their ability to tune troublesome stations is pretty much the same.

As for using an SSD, I suspect it would work just fine, but it's a rather expensive choice unless you have an unused SSD laying around. Also, older SSDs had a limited number of writes before failing, although that's not such a problem with the new ones.
post #3519 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume the "radio" mode is for picking up local music radio stations, since when I switch to that mode the screen just shows some music note and plays the audio. I have no clue why this is deciding that certain cable channels are radio channels, and then only plays the audio...
So no built in FM Tuner? I just assumed these had strictly an ASTC Over the Air TV Tuner, & were not designed for cable.... thumbing the thread I see cable subs are using these.

Edit... also what remote comes with this... the nice functional black or that trendy looking silver?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 08-28-2014 at 03:53 PM.
post #3520 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 92
No FM tuner and they can tune ATSC or clear QAM although QAM success really varies by provider. The similar Homeworx needs to have a special request(from seller) firmware to tune QAM and like the iView it's spotty at best.
post #3521 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
This is just a guess as I've never picked up any "radio" channels, but I think those are supposed to be audio-only channels. The "radio" label is probably misleading since they aren't AM, FM, or even so-called "HD radio;" they're just digital subchannels that don't happen to include a video stream.

Audio-only channels can exist either OTA or over cable, but they're pretty uncommon OTA. We used to have a few in DFW but they went away before I got my first Homeworx.

Also, AFAIK the iView and Homeworx have the same tuner, and the same one of two demodulators. The "new" iViews (with the channel 3/4 switch) and "new" HWs (with V1 firmware) have an MStar demodulator; the older ones have a Samsung demodulator. So I'd expect their ability to tune troublesome stations is pretty much the same.

As for using an SSD, I suspect it would work just fine, but it's a rather expensive choice unless you have an unused SSD laying around. Also, older SSDs had a limited number of writes before failing, although that's not such a problem with the new ones.
TY, my PBS has a -9 Sub that is "audio only" & services reading to the blind, intermixed with music loops.

I have a number of extra HD's laying around a few in cases that likely would work, but was curious as a flash drive is basically a SSD.
post #3522 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
No FM tuner and they can tune ATSC or clear QAM although QAM success really varies by provider. The similar Homeworx needs to have a special request(from seller) firmware to tune QAM and like the iView it's spotty at best.

QAM .. Digital Audio channels from the cable provider?

BTW, never had cable/dish here, so I'm not well versed with it.
post #3523 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:

Hmmmm... I have my apartment's cable lineup in front of me and it lists the TV stations and their QAM channel numbers, and any channels in the 70-100 range, as well as some others randomly scattered about are only picked up as radio. Like I said, my TV in the other room picks up these channels just fine with video and all. Perhaps I will move the box to another room to see if it's a cabling or interference issue, though I see that as unlikely. I've emailed iView about it but I'm not sure when I'll hear back.
post #3524 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Bismark, for the purposes of this thread, you can just consider QAM=cable. The iview can receive clear QAM cable (unencrypted digital signals) although it is not always successful.

Irdewey, the radio section is leftover in firmware because these boxes were orignally designed to be FTA satellite receivers. It has no function on the iview. However, because of the various problems the box has getting cable channels, some people find some cable channels show up as radio. People have tried various remedies without success.

Edit: Also, to Bismark, the remote depends on which box you get. Most being sold today will come with the black remote that has a limited universal remote function. The original 3500STB (without the II) will come with the original silver remote (which most people didn't like). If buying online, verify with the seller which box you are getting since some do not put the "II" in the description.
jjeff and JHBrandt like this.

Last edited by jprc; 08-28-2014 at 04:28 PM.
post #3525 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Irdewey, the radio section is leftover in firmware because these boxes were orignally designed to be FTA satellite receivers. It has no function on the iview. However, because of the various problems the box has getting cable channels, some people find some cable channels show up as radio. People have tried various remedies without success.
Well I hope that tech support can point me in a new direction because currently every single sports channel is under "radio", and the whole reason I bought it was to watch sports on my projector... Do they tend to respond to emails in a timely manner or should I call?
post #3526 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well I hope that tech support can point me in a new direction because currently every single sports channel is under "radio", and the whole reason I bought it was to watch sports on my projector... Do they tend to respond to emails in a timely manner or should I call?

I doubt they are going to have a solution for you. QAM is very hit or miss and if you've tried all the firmware available, which I think you have, that is likely the only thing they are going to tell you to try.

Sometimes they respond quickly, sometimes it takes a couple days. In the past, emailing was more fruitful. I'm not sure our contact person, Evelyn, still works there anymore as no one seems to have been able to get in touch with her in a long time. If you want an immediate response, I suppose calling would be better during business hours. You're not likely to get in touch with anyone knowledgeable however.
IrDewey likes this.
post #3527 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
We in the Chicago area with Comcast cable service lost all Clear QAM some time ago. Sports on CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. broadcast channels were available like anything on those channels. Cable sports channels like ESPN were never available on Clear QAM.

Thanks to the FCC, the era of Clear QAM is likely drawing to a close for almost everyone.
JHBrandt likes this.
post #3528 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
We in the Chicago area with Comcast cable service lost all Clear QAM some time ago. Sports on CBS, ABC, NBC, etc. broadcast channels were available like anything on those channels. Cable sports channels like ESPN were never available on Clear QAM.

Thanks to the FCC, the era of Clear QAM is likely drawing to a close for almost everyone.
I'm in an apartment where we're not given cable boxes so I'm certain that everything is in the clear.

In the case I need to return this box, is there any alternative in the price range? I don't need OTA or analog tuning, or even DVR. Just a QAM tuner with HDMI out. You'd think that would be easy to find.
post #3529 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
You'd think that would be easy to find.
It is: it's called a cable box. The cable companies have an incentive to set up their technology so only their own proprietary receivers can use it. This allows them to charge you extra fees to be able to use your cable service (on top of the bill for the cable service itself).

Stand-alone tuners are rare, because it's assumed that you'll use the tuner in your TV if you don't have a cable box.
post #3530 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 07:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
I'm in an apartment where we're not given cable boxes so I'm certain that everything is in the clear.

In the case I need to return this box, is there any alternative in the price range? I don't need OTA or analog tuning, or even DVR. Just a QAM tuner with HDMI out. You'd think that would be easy to find.
Most TVs can tune QAM. Do you have a really old TV?
post #3531 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Most TVs can tune QAM. Do you have a really old TV?
I'm using it with a projector. I have another TV with a tuner that I'm using in another room and it picks up every channel perfectly.
post #3532 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm using it with a projector. I have another TV with a tuner that I'm using in another room and it picks up every channel perfectly.
Your cheapest options are to rent a cable box or buy enough hdmi cable to reach from the other room. Talk to your property manager or landlord. Assuming this is a legal setup, you should have some way of renting a box for a couple bucks a month either through your apt complex or directly from the cable company. Or you could buy a cheap small second hand TV with a tuner and hdmi for the projector room.

Last edited by jprc; 08-28-2014 at 07:46 PM.
post #3533 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
http://elauwit.myshopify.com/collect...-converter-box
Pioneer Dorm room connector issue
$80 for this box, haven't read any reviews though.
post #3534 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
remote mixed up

so i just got the iview box and my remote control for it interferes with my TV.. like i press the down arrow and it turns off my TV. and if i press the left button the menu for the TV pops and wont go away.. is there an update for it or am i just screwed??
post #3535 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret Stillions View Post
so i just got the iview box and my remote control for it interferes with my TV.. like i press the down arrow and it turns off my TV. and if i press the left button the menu for the TV pops and wont go away.. is there an update for it or am i just screwed??
No update is going to change all the remote codes - that would render it useless. You could buy a Homeworx or you could get a Homeworx remote and load HW firmware for a compatible model. Or you could separate the two devices so you have to point at one or the other for the remote to affect it.
post #3536 of 3868 Old 08-28-2014, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel your pain. The "Goto" button turns off my TV too. Luckily in my case, Goto is the only button that causes this problem, and it's not used a whole lot.

I too was going to suggest getting a Homeworx remote and loading Homeworx firmware. I don't like the Homeworx remote as well, but it's OK and it would resolve the issue. (Or you could get a universal remote and set it to operate a Homeworx.)

But the Homeworx firmware you need has gotten harder to obtain. The Homeworx has gone through so many hardware changes, Mediasonic took down all the firmware they had publicly posted to keep folks from loading the wrong version on their particular model and causing problems.

But Mediasonic does offer QAM-enabled versions of their firmware to those who want to try the HW with cable. So you may be able to get the firmware version you need from a HW user. You can ask on the Homeworx HW-150PVR, Support and Discussion thread.

If you have one of the new iViews with the channel 3/4 switch, you'll need HW firmware version 1. If you have an iView without the switch, you'll need either version 8, 13, or 14. I'm not sure which of those is most compatible with the iView, but V8 is probably your best bet.
post #3537 of 3868 Old 08-29-2014, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Bismark, for the purposes of this thread, you can just consider QAM=cable. The iview can receive clear QAM cable (unencrypted digital signals) although it is not always successful.

Edit: Also, to Bismark, the remote depends on which box you get. Most being sold today will come with the black remote that has a limited universal remote function. The original 3500STB (without the II) will come with the original silver remote (which most people didn't like). If buying online, verify with the seller which box you are getting since some do not put the "II" in the description.

TY & that answers a lot! It does look like a FTA Sat Box I was looking into come to think of it.

One more thing, the Digital display on the front is for Channel numbers then?

I'm curious to what brand of TV's the remotes are affecting, Samsungs? I know my Zenith STB can be programmed to control a couple functions of the Funai (Sylvania) VCR below it, but not enough to run it.
post #3538 of 3868 Old 08-29-2014, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
One more thing, the Digital display on the front is for Channel numbers then?

I'm curious to what brand of TV's the remotes are affecting, Samsungs? I know my Zenith STB can be programmed to control a couple functions of the Funai (Sylvania) VCR below it, but not enough to run it.
Yes only the channel order number, first channel is C001 second channel is C002 and so on, each sub channel is counted as a channel too.
AFA remote conflicts, I know for sure Westinghouse is one TV that has been reported, hadn't heard about Samsung and considering how popular they are I'd be surprised if that was the case or at least not all Samsungs.
post #3539 of 3868 Old 08-29-2014, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Yes only the channel order number, first channel is C001 second channel is C002 and so on, each sub channel is counted as a channel too.
AFA remote conflicts, I know for sure Westinghouse is one TV that has been reported, hadn't heard about Samsung and considering how popular they are I'd be surprised if that was the case or at least not all Samsungs.
Ouch... I have a Westinghouse too!
post #3540 of 3868 Old 08-29-2014, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an old Syntax-Brillian Olevia. Frankly, a lot of remotes interfere with it. In a sense I was lucky: the Goto button is the only one on the iView remote that interferes. Several functions on my PC's "peanut" remote also interfere.

I'm still hunting for polarized filters that work in the near-IR range. That would be a perfect solution; unfortunately, the only near-IR polarized filters I can find are very expensive photography filters
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page