iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 118 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #3511 of 4177 Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Which is great for the cable industry - no one should be a victim of theft - but have you seen your cable bill drop thanks to these savings? That's what I thought....
And, they can charge extra for every DTA and CableCard. So, ultimately it is just a major win for the cable companies, and part of the reason I don't have cable, and don't plan on ever having it.
JHBrandt likes this.

It's 2015 and you're still paying for television?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3512 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 115
My iView decided to take labor day seriously and stopped working completely today. Well, I just thought that was kind of funny, so humor me for sharing. Anyway, it's officially dead. I wasn't using it when it happened. It was plugged into a surge protector so shouldn't have been a power surge and my electricity didn't go off at any point. Left it unplugged for an hour and plugged back into a couple different sockets. No signs of life. Took it apart and reset all the connectors and air dusted it, although there was no visible dust in there anyway. No signs of damage inside and nothing loose. The USB died awhile ago so I was only using it as a third tuner. RIP.
post #3513 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

If you need QAM (digital cable) you'll probably have the best luck with V1; aside from QAM I'm not sure if there are any differences between the four versions in the .zip file.

I hope videobruce puts a link to this firmware in post 5 soon. My links keep getting lost as more folks post.
Thanks for the link!

I had emailed iView requesting these a while back. Did this via their contact us web email page, as well as their direct email address and never a reply.. Not, even an automated one. (Checked junk mail box, etc.)

Using V3 and notice now, that the green LED goes out when unit is off. A good things, as these are too bright!

Haven't scheduled any recordings yet.

(Previous issue was that often, unit would not shut off when recordings ended. Then, the file it produced when this would happen, was too small and did not show total length. While playing the file FF caused file to stop and next file would start playing.)

The other issue, was it kept switching audio back to PCM, from HDMI RAW.

I will report if this FW fixes these.
post #3514 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, im new to this, but i have install my Ota antenna, i able to get my channel, but since i was with the cable company , i want to be able to watch and record at the same time, like at 2 different channel,i think what i need is a dual tuner?

I wanted to know if the iView-3500STB can do that? I have a small budget, or do you know any model that can do that for not too much money?

Thank !
post #3515 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Désilets View Post
Hi all, im new to this, but i have install my Ota antenna, i able to get my channel, but since i was with the cable company , i want to be able to watch and record at the same time, like at 2 different channel,i think what i need is a dual tuner?

I wanted to know if the iView-3500STB can do that? I have a small budget, or do you know any model that can do that for not too much money?

Thank !
No, the iview cannot do that. Yes, you need a box with at least two tuners. Well, technically you can watch a subchannel while recording but I doubt that fits anyone's needs who wants this capability.

However, assuming your TV has a working tuner, you can use a splitter (or if loop through is working without one) to watch through your TV tuner while recording through the iview.
post #3516 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1164 Post(s)
Liked: 614
Doesn't exist at iView prices. All you need is another cable, if your TV has a tuner. Set the iView to pass thru.
post #3517 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Great will go with a splitter,

Thank for the info!
post #3518 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 10:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

You don't need a splitter. iView will split.
post #3519 of 4177 Old 09-01-2014, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That depends. For some of our boxes, it would only work with the Iview on. Some others, it would only work with the iview off. Some did not work at all. Others, depending on the firmware could get it working both on and off.

I don't think anyone with a 3/4 switch has answered (but i may have missed it) whether loop through is still an option either in software or by default, and if it is, how it does or doesn't work.

Last edited by jprc; 09-01-2014 at 10:25 PM.
post #3520 of 4177 Old 09-02-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I see the Homeworx mentioned here, but I don't see the ViewTV At-163 mentioned, which actually looks like a closer clone. The few reviews I've read on this says it has a weak tuner.

Is this another clone or a whole different animal?
post #3521 of 4177 Old 09-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I see the Homeworx mentioned here, but I don't see the ViewTV At-163 mentioned, which actually looks like a closer clone. The few reviews I've read on this says it has a weak tuner.

Is this another clone or a whole different animal?
They're all clones. There is a long list of them. The ViewTV has been talked about a few times here and in the Homeworx thread as well as other threads. It is the same box but without any support. The Homeworx and iView have at least limited support and firmware available.
post #3522 of 4177 Old 09-02-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That depends. For some of our boxes, it would only work with the Iview on. Some others, it would only work with the iview off. Some did not work at all. Others, depending on the firmware could get it working both on and off.

I don't think anyone with a 3/4 switch has answered (but i may have missed it) whether loop through is still an option either in software or by default, and if it is, how it does or doesn't work.
Forgot about that. My STB loops, but my 3/4 STBII on orig firmware would not. Default was modulated. Never tried later f/w.
post #3523 of 4177 Old 09-02-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I was going to mention, yes; for watching TV live while the iView is recording, you can use loop-through (except the newest boxes with the channel 3/4 switch, apparently), but it might be better to go with a splitter anyway. Don't know about the iView specifically, but the Homeworx distorts the looped-through output enough that weaker stations can be unwatchable after passing through.

If you want to record two stations at once, your cheapest option is probably an iView and one of the clones (Homeworx, VT-163, etc.), as long as they use different remotes so you can control each one separately. I know the iView and Homeworx remotes don't interfere with each other, and as a bonus they are probably the two best-supported models.
post #3524 of 4177 Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
They're all clones. There is a long list of them. The ViewTV has been talked about a few times here and in the Homeworx thread as well as other threads. It is the same box but without any support. The Homeworx and iView have at least limited support and firmware available.
I haven't gone through 119 pages of thread (my bad). The VT-163 is probably the most visually appealing, yet more complaints of a weaker tuner (? Is something in this part of the circuitry different). Reading about the iView & Homeworx, they have raves on the tuners, & me being in a fringe area that would be an asset here.

I found my Zenith 901 STB has a pretty good tuner compared to what I seen in the actual TV's, yet no HD capability unfortunately.

I've been using the 901 & and a VHS for time shift, reason for the interest.
post #3525 of 4177 Old 09-03-2014, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

I haven't seen the ViewTV myself but the two people who talked about owning one said it looked nothing like the picture on Amazon and was very cheap plastic. The person who would probably be able to answer hardware questions about what is slightly different inside the boxes is satpro since he's opened up at least a dozen I think. Maybe he will see this. Otherwise, I would just expect the tuners to be about the same, with some individual difference per box.
post #3526 of 4177 Old 09-04-2014, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I haven't gone through 119 pages of thread (my bad). The VT-163 is probably the most visually appealing, yet more complaints of a weaker tuner (? Is something in this part of the circuitry different). Reading about the iView & Homeworx, they have raves on the tuners, & me being in a fringe area that would be an asset here.
I own two Homeworxes and I'm not raving about its tuner. Don't get me wrong - it's not terrible - just not quite as good as the tuners in my DTVPals or my Philco CECB. I don't have a VT-163 but I'd expect it's tuner to be about the same.

However, it's biggest problem seems to be dealing with weak stations adjacent to strong ones, which is more of an issue in the suburbs than in a fringe area. I installed one of my Homeworxes at my in-laws' who live in a fringe area and it performs OK.

Generally, you won't find a lot of difference between any two DTV tuners (unless you have an old one made before 2009). As long as you have a good antenna and preamp, the iView and its clones will probably work OK.
post #3527 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

If you need QAM (digital cable) you'll probably have the best luck with V1; aside from QAM I'm not sure if there are any differences between the four versions in the .zip file.

I hope videobruce puts a link to this firmware in post 5 soon. My links keep getting lost as more folks post.
I'm sorry, but there is no link to new firmware in the link you have above. As a matter of fact the link in post 5 still has the warning not to d/l it if you have a 3/4 switch on the back. Is there or is there not new firmware for the box?
post #3528 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 03:17 AM

So, which of these is the firmware I want to use?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/asu046c7h...1pROv_lfa?dl=0
Missed one: usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-07-2014 at 03:32 AM.
post #3529 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 04:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked: 202
I updated post 5 with links to the two firmware versions that are on their web site.
Reference to older firmware versions were removed due to questionable accuracy. Sorry, for the inconvenience, but I didn't want someone flashing the wrong version to one of these new boxes.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #3530 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 04:58 AM

So, here they are:
READ BEFORE DOWNLOADING: Do NOT download this firmware if your 3500STBII Converter Box has a CH 3/4 switch behind it. You own a converter box that was released in a new batch that has a different chip piece that is not compatible with the box. If you do install this firmware your box will automatically shut completely off and it will not be able to turn on. Please be patient, a new firmware is being currently tested that will be compatible with your box soon.

File Version Size Date
IVIEW-3500STBII 10/13 3/10/2014
IVIEW-3500STBII 9 3.2MB 1/7/2014

is the top one, usb_upgrade_all_flashAA.bin The one for the 3/4 box? The bottom one is v9 I believe while the top is 10 and 13(that's what's so confusing to me)? I had the v13 already downloaded before. V13a_122713
Or--- does that warning apply to both?
Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-07-2014 at 05:04 AM.
post #3531 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 08:40 AM

I am having a problem. I have ClearQAM on campus and an LG TV decodes all 120 channels fine, but with the Iview 3500II unit, I am having about half of the channels being decoded as music and not getting any video. Getting the same on several other inexpensive decoders. Any ideas on what is happening or what is the best software that avoids this behavior.

Thanks
post #3532 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp226 View Post
I am having a problem. I have ClearQAM on campus and an LG TV decodes all 120 channels fine, but with the Iview 3500II unit, I am having about half of the channels being decoded as music and not getting any video. Getting the same on several other inexpensive decoders. Any ideas on what is happening or what is the best software that avoids this behavior.

Thanks
You have to get the original 3500 and load the latest firmware, or figure out which of the 20 firmware versions to load on the II.
post #3533 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 AM

STB-3500 Wanted Dead Or Alive

Quote:
My iView decided to take labor day seriously and stopped working completely today. Well, I just thought that was kind of funny, so humor me for sharing. Anyway, it's officially dead. I wasn't using it when it happened. It was plugged into a surge protector so shouldn't have been a power surge and my electricity didn't go off at any point. Left it unplugged for an hour and plugged back into a couple different sockets. No signs of life. Took it apart and reset all the connectors and air dusted it, although there was no visible dust in there anyway. No signs of damage inside and nothing loose. The USB died awhile ago so I was only using it as a third tuner. RIP.
Would you be willing to sell me your dead iView?
If so just PM me.

Thanks
post #3534 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp226 View Post

Thanks
There is no known solution. Just part of the problem these boxes have tuning in QAM. You can try different firmware just in case you get lucky, but don't expect anything.
post #3535 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mike View Post
Would you be willing to sell me your dead iView?
If so just PM me.

Thanks
Already had it picked up for electronic recycling with my old crt.
post #3536 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Timerguy, you can either contact iview and get firmware for your box, which is what I recommend since you seem to not understand warning messages and are set on bricking your iview. Or you can use the file posted in post 3476 which you were already linked to.
post #3537 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
There is no known solution. Just part of the problem these boxes have tuning in QAM. You can try different firmware just in case you get lucky, but don't expect anything.
I've got exactly the same problem... I've emailed iView over a week ago and haven't gotten any response. I just bought a Hauppauge USB tuner so that I can get all the channels, seems to be the only other option in this price range. Still not sure if I will return the iView or keep it for the 20 or so channels I do get with it.
post #3538 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 03:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
I've got exactly the same problem... I've emailed iView over a week ago and haven't gotten any response. I just bought a Hauppauge USB tuner so that I can get all the channels, seems to be the only other option in this price range. Still not sure if I will return the iView or keep it for the 20 or so channels I do get with it.
As I said before, original 3500 works fine. II with 3/4 switch does not. Get an original. Mine was $25 shipped on ebay. So you've got practically nothing to lose.

Or use a Homerun and WMC and all these issues go away, and you get a full guide and correctly named recordings, all for the price of 2 iViews.
post #3539 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 PM

OTA Only ----> STB-II Vs Original

I haven't been following this topic for awhile now.

I see iView has another STB, Which is designated as the 3500II which has a slide switch to choose either channels 3 or 4, rather than that being a menu choice.

After looking at several pages of previous posts I either missed it or didn't clearly understand the major differences between the original STB and the latest offering. From what I've read, most issues/problems with the newer STB has to do with QAM and cable reception in general. Which seem to be the same old problem we've seen since inception.

I checked the first few posts to see if Bruce made any comments regarding the differences. Did not see anything there. Other than the various firmware upgrades.

My question.... For OTA use only are there any known issues with the new model?

I want to purchase a second 3500. Should it matter to me (OTA only) it I get a new model or should I look for an older model.

Last edited by Mister_Mike; 09-07-2014 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Title wrong
post #3540 of 4177 Old 09-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_Mike View Post
I haven't been following this topic for awhile now.

I see iView has another STB, Which is designated as the 3500II which has a slide switch to choose either channels 3 or 4, rather than that being a menu choice.

After looking at several pages of previous posts I either missed it or didn't clearly understand the major differences between the original STB and the latest offering. From what I've read, most issues/problems with the newer STB has to do with QAM and cable reception in general. Which seem to be the same old problem we've seen since inception.

I checked the first few posts to see if Bruce made any comments regarding the differences. Did not see anything there. Other than the various firmware upgrades.

My question.... For OTA use only are there any known issues with the new model?

I want to purchase a second 3500. Should it matter to me (OTA only) it I get a new model or should I look for an older model.
There are three versions. 3500STB, 3500STBII, and 3500STBII with 3/4 switch.

For OTA it should not matter.

The USB is powered differently on the 2nd model, which you can find pictures of in the thread if that interests you, and you get a better remote with either of the II versions. If you are using with an analog TV or TV without a tuner, you may want the physical switch, although it's not necessary. If you want to use loop through, apparently not an option with the switch, but it may not work on the other models anyway or may only work partially so I recommend a splitter anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders