iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 119 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #3541 of 3559 Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
well im just gunna tape the sensor on my tv and just turn it on manually least until i get my new tv and hope i can get it to work with that cause i really would like a dvr.. but can anyone at lease direct me to the latest firmware update for the model with the 3/4 switch so i can get my channels scanned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3542 of 3559 Old 08-30-2014, 05:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes. The firmware will display the box model it was written for, but it's compatible with the older boxes as well. Only the latest boxes (with the channel 3/4 switch) are incompatible with V13.

If you still have the remote that came with your 3500STB, you'll find some of the buttons don't function as labeled with V13. The 3500STBII's shipped with the new remotes, a few of the buttons are different, and the V13 firmware was written for the new button layout. If this bugs you, you can buy one of the new remotes from iView for $10 (free shipping). You'll probably like it better anyway.
So I can use the firm ware for ether 3500 or 3500II as long as it doesn't have the 3/4 switch?
post #3543 of 3559 Old 08-30-2014, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Yes, just don't freak out that the Information display says 3500STBII. It'll even say that if you load V13 on a Homeworx!
post #3544 of 3559 Old 08-30-2014, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garret Stillions View Post
well im just gunna tape the sensor on my tv and just turn it on manually least until i get my new tv and hope i can get it to work with that cause i really would like a dvr.. but can anyone at lease direct me to the latest firmware update for the model with the 3/4 switch so i can get my channels scanned.
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

If you need QAM (digital cable) you'll probably have the best luck with V1; aside from QAM I'm not sure if there are any differences between the four versions in the .zip file.

I hope videobruce puts a link to this firmware in post 5 soon. My links keep getting lost as more folks post.
post #3545 of 3559 Old 08-30-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Johnson View Post
Thanks to the FCC, the era of Clear QAM is likely drawing to a close for almost everyone.
The current head of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (big cable) is a former FCC chairman. And, let's see here, no more cable theft, and you no longer need to send a tech out to connect or disconnect the cable!

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

Last edited by dkreichen1968; 08-30-2014 at 08:33 PM.
post #3546 of 3559 Old 08-31-2014, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
The current head of the National Cable and Telecommunications Association (big cable) is a former FCC chairman.
And the current FCC chairman is a former lobbyist for big cable. The "revolving door" is a major reason why the FCC is more interested in protecting the industries it's supposed to regulate than in protecting consumers or the public.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
... let's see here, no more cable theft, and you no longer need to send a tech out to connect or disconnect the cable!
Which is great for the cable industry - no one should be a victim of theft - but have you seen your cable bill drop thanks to these savings? That's what I thought....
post #3547 of 3559 Old 08-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Which is great for the cable industry - no one should be a victim of theft - but have you seen your cable bill drop thanks to these savings? That's what I thought....
And, they can charge extra for every DTA and CableCard. So, ultimately it is just a major win for the cable companies, and part of the reason I don't have cable, and don't plan on ever having it.
JHBrandt likes this.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

post #3548 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 112
My iView decided to take labor day seriously and stopped working completely today. Well, I just thought that was kind of funny, so humor me for sharing. Anyway, it's officially dead. I wasn't using it when it happened. It was plugged into a surge protector so shouldn't have been a power surge and my electricity didn't go off at any point. Left it unplugged for an hour and plugged back into a couple different sockets. No signs of life. Took it apart and reset all the connectors and air dusted it, although there was no visible dust in there anyway. No signs of damage inside and nothing loose. The USB died awhile ago so I was only using it as a third tuner. RIP.
post #3549 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
This post has a link to the new firmware for the boxes with the channel 3/4 switch: iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

If you need QAM (digital cable) you'll probably have the best luck with V1; aside from QAM I'm not sure if there are any differences between the four versions in the .zip file.

I hope videobruce puts a link to this firmware in post 5 soon. My links keep getting lost as more folks post.
Thanks for the link!

I had emailed iView requesting these a while back. Did this via their contact us web email page, as well as their direct email address and never a reply.. Not, even an automated one. (Checked junk mail box, etc.)

Using V3 and notice now, that the green LED goes out when unit is off. A good things, as these are too bright!

Haven't scheduled any recordings yet.

(Previous issue was that often, unit would not shut off when recordings ended. Then, the file it produced when this would happen, was too small and did not show total length. While playing the file FF caused file to stop and next file would start playing.)

The other issue, was it kept switching audio back to PCM, from HDMI RAW.

I will report if this FW fixes these.
post #3550 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi all, im new to this, but i have install my Ota antenna, i able to get my channel, but since i was with the cable company , i want to be able to watch and record at the same time, like at 2 different channel,i think what i need is a dual tuner?

I wanted to know if the iView-3500STB can do that? I have a small budget, or do you know any model that can do that for not too much money?

Thank !
post #3551 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Désilets View Post
Hi all, im new to this, but i have install my Ota antenna, i able to get my channel, but since i was with the cable company , i want to be able to watch and record at the same time, like at 2 different channel,i think what i need is a dual tuner?

I wanted to know if the iView-3500STB can do that? I have a small budget, or do you know any model that can do that for not too much money?

Thank !
No, the iview cannot do that. Yes, you need a box with at least two tuners. Well, technically you can watch a subchannel while recording but I doubt that fits anyone's needs who wants this capability.

However, assuming your TV has a working tuner, you can use a splitter (or if loop through is working without one) to watch through your TV tuner while recording through the iview.
post #3552 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked: 325
Doesn't exist at iView prices. All you need is another cable, if your TV has a tuner. Set the iView to pass thru.
post #3553 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Great will go with a splitter,

Thank for the info!
post #3554 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
AVS Special Member

You don't need a splitter. iView will split.
post #3555 of 3559 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That depends. For some of our boxes, it would only work with the Iview on. Some others, it would only work with the iview off. Some did not work at all. Others, depending on the firmware could get it working both on and off.

I don't think anyone with a 3/4 switch has answered (but i may have missed it) whether loop through is still an option either in software or by default, and if it is, how it does or doesn't work.

Last edited by jprc; Yesterday at 10:25 PM.
post #3556 of 3559 Old Today, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I see the Homeworx mentioned here, but I don't see the ViewTV At-163 mentioned, which actually looks like a closer clone. The few reviews I've read on this says it has a weak tuner.

Is this another clone or a whole different animal?
post #3557 of 3559 Old Today, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
I see the Homeworx mentioned here, but I don't see the ViewTV At-163 mentioned, which actually looks like a closer clone. The few reviews I've read on this says it has a weak tuner.

Is this another clone or a whole different animal?
They're all clones. There is a long list of them. The ViewTV has been talked about a few times here and in the Homeworx thread as well as other threads. It is the same box but without any support. The Homeworx and iView have at least limited support and firmware available.
post #3558 of 3559 Old Today, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
That depends. For some of our boxes, it would only work with the Iview on. Some others, it would only work with the iview off. Some did not work at all. Others, depending on the firmware could get it working both on and off.

I don't think anyone with a 3/4 switch has answered (but i may have missed it) whether loop through is still an option either in software or by default, and if it is, how it does or doesn't work.
Forgot about that. My STB loops, but my 3/4 STBII on orig firmware would not. Default was modulated. Never tried later f/w.
post #3559 of 3559 Old Today, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

I was going to mention, yes; for watching TV live while the iView is recording, you can use loop-through (except the newest boxes with the channel 3/4 switch, apparently), but it might be better to go with a splitter anyway. Don't know about the iView specifically, but the Homeworx distorts the looped-through output enough that weaker stations can be unwatchable after passing through.

If you want to record two stations at once, your cheapest option is probably an iView and one of the clones (Homeworx, VT-163, etc.), as long as they use different remotes so you can control each one separately. I know the iView and Homeworx remotes don't interfere with each other, and as a bonus they are probably the two best-supported models.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page