post #3601 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I own two Homeworxes and I'm not raving about its tuner. Don't get me wrong - it's not terrible - just not quite as good as the tuners in my DTVPals or my Philco CECB. I don't have a VT-163 but I'd expect it's tuner to be about the same.

However, it's biggest problem seems to be dealing with weak stations adjacent to strong ones, which is more of an issue in the suburbs than in a fringe area. I installed one of my Homeworxes at my in-laws' who live in a fringe area and it performs OK.

Generally, you won't find a lot of difference between any two DTV tuners (unless you have an old one made before 2009). As long as you have a good antenna and preamp, the iView and its clones will probably work OK.
TY, I did some testing with several STB converter boxes in 2008, found the Zenith had a superior Tuner over the Sylvania/Magnavox (which is the same as your Philco) had a better Guide. The Apex fell short with the tuner, plus previous experience with Apex products had questionable quality (although seemed like it was well built.

With 90+ % vacated OTA for a pay service, the manufactures can take a lot of shortcuts with OTA tuners with few complaints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 211
I have several CECBs (a legacy of the transition era), including not only the Philco (yes, Philco, Magnavox, and Sylvania are all identical Funais on the inside - I bought the Philco only because it was one of the first CECBs with analog pass-through available), but also an Apex (DT250), a CM-7000, and a DTVPal CECB. (The last two have since been retired in favor of DTVPal and CM-7000Pal DVRs.) I never owned a Zenith (or the identical Insignia) but I remember it was one of the CECBs with the best reputation.

(BTW, among my CECBs, the best guide, hands down, was the DTVPal: a full week, grid-style a la TiVo, including TVGoS info back when that was a thing. And a major selling point of their DVR was that it had the same great guide. Second-best was the Apex, followed by the CM-7000. The Philco's 6-hour guide brings up the rear. I'd rate the iView guide right in the middle, between the Apex and the CM-7000.)

In my suburban environment all these CECBs perform pretty much the same. (I'm sure there are differences that become more apparent in other environments, though.) Part of the reason might be my constant fussing over my antenna and preamp. As I've noted elsewhere, a good antenna and preamp can overcome a lot of tuner issues, especially trouble with multipath and/or an overall lack of sensitivity.

But not all issues, apparently. No matter how I adjust my antenna, the Homeworx tuner just isn't quite as good, having trouble getting a stable signal on a few stations that the CECBs, DVRs, and a LG 32" TV all lock just fine.

Still, it works fine on most stations, including all the ones I actually watch.
post #3603 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'm puzzled by this. DirecTV has the AM21 module (about $40 on ebay) for OTA and full guide integration. If satellite goes out, OTA still works, and all your recordings are on the same box, with the right titles and everything, even dual OTA tuners. There's absolutely no reason a DirecTV sub would need an iView unless you don't have a DirecTV DVR at all. I had DirecTV for years with OTA and an AM21 and it worked beautifully. You should really look into it.
But I think that's the point. Yes, the AM21 is a great add-on if you have a compatible DirecTV box. (Their one drawback is that they can only tune the stations in the guide, so you might miss the few channels that don't publish guide info.)

But satellite DVRs are expensive, plus you have to pay a monthly surcharge to use one. If you don't have one and are mostly interested in recording OTA TV anyway, the iView can be an attractive alternative.
post #3604 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
I'm puzzled by this. DirecTV has the AM21 module (about $40 on ebay) for OTA and full guide integration. If satellite goes out, OTA still works, and all your recordings are on the same box, with the right titles and everything, even dual OTA tuners. There's absolutely no reason a DirecTV sub would need an iView unless you don't have a DirecTV DVR at all. I had DirecTV for years with OTA and an AM21 and it worked beautifully. You should really look into it.
You're confused??? I'm a fairly new DirecTV subscriber and haven't heard about an AM21 module until you mentioned it. But I have had some weather that caused my sat to lose it's signal often enough that I was concerned about missing some of my fav programs. I was also having some problems with my OTA not getting a good signal either which disappeared when I got my Iview hooked up and moved the antennae around a little bit more (that was almost impossible when trying to get my TV to re-auto program the OTA reception. Now that I have all the channels I wanted to get OTA found and working properly on the IView and now the tv without the Iview hooked up, I guess I can give it to my daughter. I haven't needed the PVR and won't with the Genie running I guess. I'll do some more research on the AM21 module. Thanks for the reply.
post #3605 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
I've got both an iView 3500STB and a 3500STBII (3/4 switch). I use them to record OTA. The big difference I have seen is that the 3500STBII won't wake up from being off and record like the 3500STB, but if you leave the STBII on it will record off of all of the channels I receive unlike the original STB. For OTA I think that the 3500STBII (3/4 switch) is the better deal since it seems to not miss recordings. Of course I've only run test runs so far. We will see how it does during the upcoming TV season. I'm using Toshiba Canvio 1 and 2T USB powered drives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post
The iView 3500STBII has V2. I'm using a version of Homeworx firmware on the 3500STB. It was the most stable at the time, and I've never bothered to upgrade since I could never discern from the comments here that there had been any real improvements.
Yes, iView's early firmware was terrible! In fact, I originally went with the Homeworx because they were the first with reasonably reliable firmware (V10 IIRC). But now I'm doing the opposite as you: I loaded iView V13 on it so I could use the STBII remote, which I prefer. (If you have both boxes in the same room, you probably won't want to do that. You'll want to keep using different remotes for each box.)

Interesting to hear the new iViews have trouble waking up, which wasn't a problem with the old ones. Of course you can always just leave it on 24/7, but I wonder if V2a or V3 firmware would fix it so you don't have to? The new iViews are shipping with V3 instead of V2 now.
post #3606 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question 500STBII (3/4 switch) - Pixelation

I'm hoping 3rd time will be the charm.
First box didn't even power up.
Second box powered up and located all but 1 or 2 channels and worked fine for about a day or so.

Then the box began having fits with some of the channels (I presume the weaker ones, since I'm not a techie) with pixelation.

I called iView technical support yesterday morning and they suggested I do a factory reset which I did last night - and it didn't solve the problem except to remove the channels I was having issues with, so not helpful.

I checked that the indoor antenna (RCA rabbit ears ANT100 which has Adjustable/retractable VHF dipoles that extend up to 36" to improve reception of channels 2-13 and a UHF loop for improved reception of channels 14-69) was able to pull the channels in directly to my SDTV without issue and it was.

Just because, I also used a TIVAX set-top box to ensure that I could pull in OTA signals using it (thus troubleshooting the antenna and ports, just in case), and was successful with great reception.

I contacted iView this morning and they have emailed me a firmware update so I'll see if that resolves the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I do like the box and have found recording to be easy and overall use is easy. I plan to upgrade to an outdoor antenna in a month or so, as well as to purchase a powered USB hub so I can swop hard drives easily and not have to be continually messing with the USB port on the box.

Is there a way to be able to watch TV AND record on a different channel? I'm not finding anything in the manual to be helpful in that regard.

Last edited by AntheaH; 09-10-2014 at 02:15 PM.
post #3607 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerguy View Post
You're confused??? I'm a fairly new DirecTV subscriber and haven't heard about an AM21 module until you mentioned it. But I have had some weather that caused my sat to lose it's signal often enough that I was concerned about missing some of my fav programs. I was also having some problems with my OTA not getting a good signal either which disappeared when I got my Iview hooked up and moved the antennae around a little bit more (that was almost impossible when trying to get my TV to re-auto program the OTA reception. Now that I have all the channels I wanted to get OTA found and working properly on the IView and now the tv without the Iview hooked up, I guess I can give it to my daughter. I haven't needed the PVR and won't with the Genie running I guess. I'll do some more research on the AM21 module. Thanks for the reply.
Yes; if you do have a compatible DirecTV DVR, the AM21 is a great bargain. OTA reception via your antenna, so you won't lose your OTA channels even when storm clouds knock the satellite out; one integrated guide for both OTA and satellite channels; no separate remote, just use your DirecTV remote; more OTA channels than with just satellite alone; better-than-satellite video quality for OTA channels; and both OTA and satellite recordings on one box.

Also, I think you'll still be protected from the occasional spats between DirecTV and the major networks, when DirecTV takes some network channels off their satellite feed temporarily. But I'm not sure. Depends on what DirecTV does with the guide when this happens.
post #3608 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes; if you do have a compatible DirecTV DVR, the AM21 is a great bargain. OTA reception via your antenna, so you won't lose your OTA channels even when storm clouds knock the satellite out; one integrated guide for both OTA and satellite channels; no separate remote, just use your DirecTV remote; more OTA channels than with just satellite alone; better-than-satellite video quality for OTA channels; and both OTA and satellite recordings on one box.

Also, I think you'll still be protected from the occasional spats between DirecTV and the major networks, when DirecTV takes some network channels off their satellite feed temporarily. But I'm not sure. Depends on what DirecTV does with the guide when this happens.
Yes, I have the Geni DVR.
When we lost NBC for a week I almost missed my Packer Season opener, fortunately, my OTA signal held up for the most part though the signal did disappear towards the end of the game.

Last edited by Timerguy; 09-10-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #3609 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntheaH View Post
I'm hoping 3rd time will be the charm.
First box didn't even power up.
Second box powered up and located all but 1 or 2 channels and worked fine for about a day or so.

Then the box began having fits with some of the channels (I presume the weaker ones, since I'm not a techie) with pixelation.

I called iView technical support yesterday morning and they suggested I do a factory reset which I did last night - and it didn't solve the problem except to remove the channels I was having issues with, so not helpful.

I checked that the indoor antenna (RCA rabbit ears ANT100 which has Adjustable/retractable VHF dipoles that extend up to 36" to improve reception of channels 2-13 and a UHF loop for improved reception of channels 14-69) was able to pull the channels in directly to my SDTV without issue and it was.

Just because, I also used a TIVAX set-top box to ensure that I could pull in OTA signals using it (thus troubleshooting the antenna and ports, just in case), and was successful with great reception.

I contacted iView this morning and they have emailed me a firmware update so I'll see if that resolves the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I do like the box and have found recording to be easy and overall use is easy. I plan to upgrade to an outdoor antenna in a month or so, as well as to purchase a powered USB hub so I can swop hard drives easily and not have to be continually messing with the USB port on the box.

Is there a way to be able to watch TV AND record on a different channel? I'm not finding anything in the manual to be helpful in that regard.
If your TV has a digital tuner, you can use a splitter to watch TV and record at the same time. If you have an iview that does not have a channel 3/4 switch on the back, you may or may not be able to use the loop through setting to do the same without a splitter using a cable from the RF out to the TV. If you have the 3/4 version there appears to be no option for this (you can still use a splitter). If no TV digital tuner, then no. The iview only has one tuner so cannot do both.
post #3610 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I need some help with this device

Ok so i got this device today. Im at college living in a dorm room and my TV doesn't have RF in (so effectively its just a monitor with HDMI). When i hooked it up to the cable jack im only getting the few local over the air channels it seems. Ive done channel scans. Ive set it to scan under cable and not antenna. I planned on updating the firmware but i have the new version with the 3/4 switch which the website says not to update. So what i need is all the channels that come out of the wall since the service company says it just needs to be QAM 256 compatible which i believe this product is. I have this same problem with a Technicolor DCI-401 also.

Thank You.

PLEASE HELP
post #3611 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 06:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStalker57 View Post
Ok so i got this device today. Im at college living in a dorm room and my TV doesn't have RF in (so effectively its just a monitor with HDMI). When i hooked it up to the cable jack im only getting the few local over the air channels it seems. Ive done channel scans. Ive set it to scan under cable and not antenna. I planned on updating the firmware but i have the new version with the 3/4 switch which the website says not to update. So what i need is all the channels that come out of the wall since the service company says it just needs to be QAM 256 compatible which i believe this product is. I have this same problem with a Technicolor DCI-401 also.

Thank You.

PLEASE HELP
Either download the firmware from here or ask iview for it.
iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread
post #3612 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 07:55 PM

Well what I need to know how to get my cable channels and not just the local channel's
post #3613 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Well what I need to know how to get my cable channels and not just the local channel's
I'm in the same boat as you, and had to buy an older unit (original 3500STB). the 3500STBII says it can handle QAM but it's very hit or miss. Check the radio channels to see if more channels come up as audio only because that's the problem I was having. The firmwares for the 3/4 switch model is in this thread somewhere if you want to try that.

Edit: The firmwares for the 3/4 switch are located here http://firedrive.com/file/A4AB3EEBBFC31291
post #3614 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:05 PM

Ok so is there a diffent firmware out for my device? Even though the manufacturers website says not to download anything yet? I mean my service is not encrypted but its digital. Its just dorm room regular service that is in everyones room
post #3615 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You need the V1 firmware for clear QAM stations.
post #3616 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:07 PM

Ok I see that firmware you posted I'll give it a shot. I've had these same issues with the recomnded device my provider said to use which was the technicolor DCI-401
post #3617 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:08 PM

So is that link to the v1 firmware?
post #3618 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It should have V1, V2, V2a and V3 firmware. You will need to unzip it and use the V1 firmware.
post #3619 of 3904 Old 09-10-2014, 08:38 PM

So I believe I installed the v1 firmware correctly. Plugged it in loaded the software and did a factory reset. Doing the channel scan now
post #3620 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 11:02 AM

Question Antenna issue/ 3500 w/switch

I upgraded the STB3500II with the firmware iView emailed to me and it managed to pull up most of the channels, except for 2 VHF channels (ABC & NBC). PBS came through with pixelation.

After some thought and research, I now realize that the issue I'm having is with the VHF channels being pulled in (ABC, PBS, NBC) - the UHF channels are coming in with very little issue.

Any suggestions? Could the box still be the issue?

Could an outdoor antenna fix the problem?
post #3621 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I pulled mine out of the box yesterday, it's the 3/4 switch version.

Wired it in (cable splitter and hdmi), plugged it in, scanned 60+ ota channels, same amount as the tv tuner. Set my favorite channels, stuck a flash drive in the usb port, played with the time shift thing a bit. Set it for recording a couple of shows and turned it off.

This morning when I got up it was on, so I guess it's recording ? I did nothing to the firmware at all yet.
post #3622 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 12:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I upgraded the STB3500II with the firmware iView emailed to me and it managed to pull up most of the channels, except for 2 VHF channels (ABC & NBC). PBS came through with pixelation.

After some thought and research, I now realize that the issue I'm having is with the VHF channels being pulled in (ABC, PBS, NBC) - the UHF channels are coming in with very little issue.

You don't say what kind of antenna you have. I have a UHF (Silver Sensor clone) and a VHF (cheapo RCA UHF/VHF) joined with a band combiner to my non-3/4 STB3500II.
http://sunnydirect.ca/pico-macom-uvs...r-antenna.html
post #3623 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
You don't say what kind of antenna you have. I have a UHF (Silver Sensor clone) and a VHF (cheapo RCA UHF/VHF) joined with a band combiner to my non-3/4 STB3500II.
http://sunnydirect.ca/pico-macom-uvs...r-antenna.html
I did in my original post:

post #3624 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I did in my original post:

Sorry, didn't see it. Sounds similar to the RCA antenna I have, can't find the model#.
I don't know if there's any difference between the 3/4 and non-3/4 tuner but I haven't had any problems with VHF from the get go. I had a problem with PBS-UHF until I added the Silver Sensor clone. Other UHF channels have been fine too.
post #3625 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK so i got this device today. I'm at college living in a dorm room and my TV doesn't have RF in (so effectively its just a monitor with HDMI). When I hooked it up to the cable jack I'm only getting the few local over the air channels it seems. I've done channel scans. I've set it to scan under cable and not antenna. I planned on updating the firmware but I have the new version with the 3/4 switch which the website says not to update. So what i need is all the channels that come out of the wall since the service company says it just needs to be QAM 256 compatible which i believe this product is. I have this same problem with a Technicolor DCI-401 also.

Thank You.

PLEASE HELP
Don't know about the Technicolor, but you can download the correct firmware for your iView version from this post, which @jprc also linked to above. There are four firmware files in the .zip. For QAM you'll probably have the best luck with version V1.
post #3626 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
Sorry, didn't see it. Sounds similar to the RCA antenna I have, can't find the model#.
I don't know if there's any difference between the 3/4 and non-3/4 tuner but I haven't had any problems with VHF from the get go. I had a problem with PBS-UHF until I added the Silver Sensor clone. Other UHF channels have been fine too.
My issue isn't with the UHF channels, its with the 3 Hi-VHF channels:

KTUL (ABC)
KOED (PBS)
KJRH (NBC)

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...d24383dba3e257
post #3627 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 02:52 PM

Question

Quote:

post #3628 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

The demod chip did change in the models with the channel 3/4 switch, but it's unlikely that change would affect only VHF. The tuner in the iView and its clones has always been a bit weak, but I can receive all three of your "problem" VHF channels on a Homeworx (iView clone) as far away as Stroud with an attic-mounted Channel Master 4228 antenna and an AntennaCraft 10G212 preamp. So while the tuner may be weak, it is possible to make up for it.

Looking at the tvfool chart you're in a pretty good reception area, but a 36-inch VHF dipole may not be enough. As a quick fix, you could try capacitance hats: crumple a 1-inch-diameter ball of aluminum foil onto each end of the dipole. (Folks have used that trick for ages.)

It should help, but may still not be enough. If not, you could try an antenna with longer VHF elements. Most rabbit ears can easily go out to 42-44 inches each. And if you can get a set with one of those 12-position tuning knobs, you can probably find a setting that improves the signal a bit more.

If that's still not enough, you could mount a small VHF/UHF outdoor antenna in your attic. Many small "outdoor" antennas can even be mounted indoors if you can rig up a stand for them.
post #3629 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 04:06 PM

Ok so I tired the v1 firmware with no success still no cable channels only over the air channels. I so I upgraded it to v3 and still no channels. It is set to cable scan and I'm in the USA. I'm not using an antenna because I'm just trying to use the dorm room 75 ohm cable jack and get some channels since my TV is effectively a monitor.
post #3630 of 3904 Old 09-11-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The demod chip did change in the models with the channel 3/4 switch, but it's unlikely that change would affect only VHF. The tuner in the iView and its clones has always been a bit weak, but I can receive all three of your "problem" VHF channels on a Homeworx (iView clone) as far away as Stroud with an attic-mounted Channel Master 4228 antenna and an AntennaCraft 10G212 preamp. So while the tuner may be weak, it is possible to make up for it.

Looking at the tvfool chart you're in a pretty good reception area, but a 36-inch VHF dipole may not be enough. As a quick fix, you could try capacitance hats: crumple a 1-inch-diameter ball of aluminum foil onto each end of the dipole. (Folks have used that trick for ages.)

It should help, but may still not be enough. If not, you could try an antenna with longer VHF elements. Most rabbit ears can easily go out to 42-44 inches each. And if you can get a set with one of those 12-position tuning knobs, you can probably find a setting that improves the signal a bit more.

If that's still not enough, you could mount a small VHF/UHF outdoor antenna in your attic. Many small "outdoor" antennas can even be mounted indoors if you can rig up a stand for them.
I have no clue how I'd go about installing anything in the attic so I'd have to get a professional to take care of that. I thought I'd try the outdoor pole with the satellite dish on it to see if that would improve the reception any on the RCA ANT751 that someone suggested.
Reply HDTV Recorders