Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #3661 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Another possible cause of the problem is that you're recording one of the stations that just seems to flummox the iView. Ion affiliates are particularly bad about this, but I've seen it on others as well.

Many stations will cause the iView to "double-clutch" when you tune them: the station tunes in, but then the screen goes blank for a second and then the station tunes in again. Usually that's just a minor annoyance, but a few stations seem to go further: the station seems to get completely erased and added back. Any subchannels you deleted, renamed, or skipped suddenly reappear and go back to their original names. If this happens, I suspect you'd lose any timers you've set for the station as well.

I don't know of any sure cure for this. Leaving the iView turned on and tuned to the station in question may help, but even that's not guaranteed.
cwikkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
How 'bout a powered USB enclosure? I like the NexStar CX, which has both USB and eSATA ports, for the iView and a PC. Mine's a 3.5" model but they make 2.5" models too.

Then you can use a USB-powered hub. I use an IOGear 4-port hub, mostly because it was cheap. Works fine. A hub doesn't draw much current, so it won't overtax your iView.
Did you use the 2.0 USB enclosure or the 3.0?

Last edited by AntheaH; Yesterday at 01:24 PM.
post #3663 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 161
No problem. I use a USB-powered 2.0 hub; to make sure it worked I tried it with both a USB-powered 3.0 HDD and an externally-powered USB 2.0 HDD. IIRC if both were plugged in, it labeled one 'C' and the other 'D' and I had to select one. If only one was plugged in, it was always 'C'.
AntheaH likes this.
post #3664 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Names of shows in recordings

My number one biggest complaint with this unit is it doesn't tell me Seinfeld recorded at 11:30 PM on Channel 5 INSTEAD it says something arcane like WKRC-011:30-12:00-3-3-14. Has anyone hacked a fix for this or know if the company knows of it and will fix.

Thanks
Brian
post #3665 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 326
You can only rename the files manually, e.g. by connecting the drive to a PC. The manufacturer doesn't seem to consider it to be a problem, as it would have been an easy change to make in any of the half dozen different firmware revisions that exist.
post #3666 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thats what really bites about this, I guess you have to buy a tv guide to keep up with what you record. Sad because the info is right there for the thing to use.
post #3667 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the Iview were to name the file based on the PSIP data when the recording started, I'd be in trouble.

I start the recording one minute before the scheduled start in order to ensure a complete program. Thus, I'd probably have the file name based on the preceding program. Oops!
post #3668 of 3669 Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Some DVRs compensate for that, but you're probably right: even if iView added the ability to name recordings based on PSIP, the recordings would probably have the wrong names when you started your recording early. It sounds just like something iView would do.
post #3669 of 3669 Old Today, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwikkid View Post
All I want to do is to record the same show (the news) every week night from an OTA antennae. I have reception. I am able to record. I schedule it to record. It records one night, maybe two nights but ultimately the scheduled recording entree is gone and it doesn't record the next night. The scheduled recording disappears from the "schedule" section. I've reprogrammed it 20 times. It's getting frustrating. I have a 3/4 switch. I have firmware v3. This set top box would be perfect if it would just not stop recording the one program I want it to record. I can't find any threads addressing this problem. I feel like this box should be able to do such a basic thing but it won't do it consistently or rather repeatedly and predictably.
You'll get lots of excellent info - like weak signal,etc. I've been dealing with these same problems since I first got the I-View 1.5+ years ago. Mine boils down to the I-View can't handle OTA stations that broadcast 720p. The more subchannels, the worse the I-View is at getting PSIP data out of the stream. I have thousands of hours of successful recordings on 1080i broadcast stations - NO missed recordings or lost scheduled events. 720p stations -> constant missed recordings and dropped events - so bad that I have to run another recorder just for 720p stations. Technically, the 720/1080 doesn't make much sense - I'm just reporting my experiences. If it was just one 720p station I would believe poor signal or PSIP issues, but not when it's all the 720p stations I've tried. Just to add to the confusion, I wouldn't rule out the occasional "non-conforming" PSIP data for some channels.
cwikkid likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page