Forum Jump: 
 28Likes

post #3661 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Another possible cause of the problem is that you're recording one of the stations that just seems to flummox the iView. Ion affiliates are particularly bad about this, but I've seen it on others as well.

Many stations will cause the iView to "double-clutch" when you tune them: the station tunes in, but then the screen goes blank for a second and then the station tunes in again. Usually that's just a minor annoyance, but a few stations seem to go further: the station seems to get completely erased and added back. Any subchannels you deleted, renamed, or skipped suddenly reappear and go back to their original names. If this happens, I suspect you'd lose any timers you've set for the station as well.

I don't know of any sure cure for this. Leaving the iView turned on and tuned to the station in question may help, but even that's not guaranteed.
cwikkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
How 'bout a powered USB enclosure? I like the NexStar CX, which has both USB and eSATA ports, for the iView and a PC. Mine's a 3.5" model but they make 2.5" models too.

Then you can use a USB-powered hub. I use an IOGear 4-port hub, mostly because it was cheap. Works fine. A hub doesn't draw much current, so it won't overtax your iView.
Did you use the 2.0 USB enclosure or the 3.0?

Last edited by AntheaH; 09-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.
post #3663 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. I use a USB-powered 2.0 hub; to make sure it worked I tried it with both a USB-powered 3.0 HDD and an externally-powered USB 2.0 HDD. IIRC if both were plugged in, it labeled one 'C' and the other 'D' and I had to select one. If only one was plugged in, it was always 'C'.
AntheaH likes this.
post #3664 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Names of shows in recordings

My number one biggest complaint with this unit is it doesn't tell me Seinfeld recorded at 11:30 PM on Channel 5 INSTEAD it says something arcane like WKRC-011:30-12:00-3-3-14. Has anyone hacked a fix for this or know if the company knows of it and will fix.

Thanks
Brian
post #3665 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 332
You can only rename the files manually, e.g. by connecting the drive to a PC. The manufacturer doesn't seem to consider it to be a problem, as it would have been an easy change to make in any of the half dozen different firmware revisions that exist.
post #3666 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Thats what really bites about this, I guess you have to buy a tv guide to keep up with what you record. Sad because the info is right there for the thing to use.
post #3667 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the Iview were to name the file based on the PSIP data when the recording started, I'd be in trouble.

I start the recording one minute before the scheduled start in order to ensure a complete program. Thus, I'd probably have the file name based on the preceding program. Oops!
post #3668 of 3676 Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 332
Some DVRs compensate for that, but you're probably right: even if iView added the ability to name recordings based on PSIP, the recordings would probably have the wrong names when you started your recording early. It sounds just like something iView would do.
post #3669 of 3676 Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwikkid View Post
All I want to do is to record the same show (the news) every week night from an OTA antennae. I have reception. I am able to record. I schedule it to record. It records one night, maybe two nights but ultimately the scheduled recording entree is gone and it doesn't record the next night. The scheduled recording disappears from the "schedule" section. I've reprogrammed it 20 times. It's getting frustrating. I have a 3/4 switch. I have firmware v3. This set top box would be perfect if it would just not stop recording the one program I want it to record. I can't find any threads addressing this problem. I feel like this box should be able to do such a basic thing but it won't do it consistently or rather repeatedly and predictably.
You'll get lots of excellent info - like weak signal,etc. I've been dealing with these same problems since I first got the I-View 1.5+ years ago. Mine boils down to the I-View can't handle OTA stations that broadcast 720p. The more subchannels, the worse the I-View is at getting PSIP data out of the stream. I have thousands of hours of successful recordings on 1080i broadcast stations - NO missed recordings or lost scheduled events. 720p stations -> constant missed recordings and dropped events - so bad that I have to run another recorder just for 720p stations. Technically, the 720/1080 doesn't make much sense - I'm just reporting my experiences. If it was just one 720p station I would believe poor signal or PSIP issues, but not when it's all the 720p stations I've tried. Just to add to the confusion, I wouldn't rule out the occasional "non-conforming" PSIP data for some channels.
cwikkid likes this.
post #3670 of 3676 Old Today, 04:27 AM

First time recording on program with the iview and watching a different program on the tv tuner at the same time, OTA. Soon as the iview started up the reception on the tv went haywire. Running a cable from the wall to a splitter to the tv and iview from there, iview is hooked up hdmi if that matters.

Any suggestions ? Do I need to boost the signal from the attic antenna if I run both tuners ?
post #3671 of 3676 Old Today, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStalker57 View Post
Ok so I tired the v1 firmware with no success still no cable channels only over the air channels. I so I upgraded it to v3 and still no channels. It is set to cable scan and I'm in the USA. I'm not using an antenna because I'm just trying to use the dorm room 75 ohm cable jack and get some channels since my TV is effectively a monitor.
Try leaving the country set to the default which if I remember right is Mexico. I did that by mistake and then it scanned and found all of the channels though about half were mis-identified as radio channels. With this unit and all of the low end ones I have tried so the common problem is mis-identifying the channels as music/radio. The Channelmaster tuner finds everything fine though at three times the cost.
post #3672 of 3676 Old Today, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I've been using Ver3 on the 3/4 switch model.

I still have the glitches I posted previously. (I did do reset to factory default too.)

As before, will still randomly flip back to PCM audio and off HDMI RAW.

Recordings are still hit and miss. Usually miss. It will turn on, begin the recording, then after a while it just stops recording and the unit remains on, instead of shutting off after, etc.

The file that is created when this happens will not show total length when played just 00:00.

I'm recording the Roosevelt Doc on PBS. They repeat it back, to back. Every night, the 8-10pm recording fails. But, the 10PM-12AM recording has the complete file, though the unit still doesn't shut off after.

Last night, I tried an experiment and did a recording before the 8-10PM. The 8-10PM still failed.

Not signal related, as I get this particular channel 100%, without an amp. (Besides, I have other full recordings from another PBS, that is very far away, with marginal signal. This box still records in that condition. One gets the drop outs, etc. as the live broadcast would have had for me.)

Using WD 120GB USB HDD that doesn't require external power. (Passport)

P.S. Above, someone mentioned the "Double Clutch" on channels, during non recording live viewing. I get that too. I found that when this happens, it also wipes the last channel viewed from memory, so you can't press return to toggle back. If there are two channels I want to flip between, I've just started to press return right after it tunes to the other channel. This seems to interrupt it from double tuning the same channel.

Last edited by StormCrow; Today at 08:15 AM.
post #3673 of 3676 Old Today, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatnikV View Post
First time recording on program with the iview and watching a different program on the tv tuner at the same time, OTA. Soon as the iview started up the reception on the tv went haywire. Running a cable from the wall to a splitter to the tv and iview from there, iview is hooked up hdmi if that matters.

Any suggestions ? Do I need to boost the signal from the attic antenna if I run both tuners ?
It's been reported that some iView/HDD combinations produce a lot of RF interference. Usually it messes up the recording itself, but I can believe it messing up live viewing too, especially if the live-viewed station is weak and the station being recorded is stronger.

An amplifier or amplified splitter might help. Making the signals stronger would make it less likely that interference would screw a signal up. It's hard to say for sure until you try though.
post #3674 of 3676 Old Today, 08:50 AM

Thanks, I picked up a Radio Shack antenna booster at DD's for 9.99, I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Hig.../dp/B00AIZ85N6

Reading reviews I probably tossed 9.99 in the trash.

Last edited by BeatnikV; Today at 10:41 AM.
post #3675 of 3676 Old Today, 10:42 AM

Hi, First of all this thread has been really helpful to have an idea of what I was purchasing as well as initial setup. I got my new iView 3500STBii today with a 3/4 switch in the back and it's running firmware V2, even though I've read some people have newer firmware (v3?). I am hooked up to existing cable and just want to be able to record a few shows from ABC, like jeopardy that I can't find online. Here is my problem:

In my area near New york city KABC is channel 7 on cable and OTA and I'm doing an auto scan which comes up with 30 channels. While it is scanning I can see KABC-HD show up in the scan list and it lists it as channel 26. As soon as the scan is done I hit the EPG button and scroll over to 7-1 and it is showing programming from a different channel (I think 4-1 or 4-2) and then it quickly disappears and I can not access the channel ever again. It just says invalid channel.

Is there anything I can do to get this channel? I know it is there because all my other TV's in the house tune this with their built in tuner on 7-1 and this unit should as well. It also will not work doing a manual scan of channel 7 or 26, but I don't know what other channels I could try. I feel it's finding it in the scan but is somehow getting confused with it. It's just ironic because I get NBC, CBS, Fox, and the one channel I bought this for is having a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3676 of 3676 Old Today, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

KABC is in Los Angeles, not NYC WABC is in NYC. (Interestingly, both stations are on channel 7.)

I'm making a lot of guesses here: first, I'm guessing you're using an antenna. Cable channels are almost never numbered correctly on the iView, and IIRC Cablevision in NYC scrambles all their channels, so you couldn't use the iView anyway.

Start here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=1. This Web page shows all the channels in the NYC area. (However, you probably won't be within range of all of them.)

The leftmost column shows the "virtual" channel number. This is the channel number you're used to seeing. The second column shows the physical channel number: this is the channel number you have to use when doing a manual scan.

Notice that in many cases, the virtual channel and physical channel are different. Also notice that for the major networks, the physical channel is usually a UHF channel. WABC is different though. It's virtual and physical channel are both 7, which is VHF.

Many modern antennas are designed for UHF and perform poorly on VHF. If yours is one, that could be part of the problem. WABC's signal from your antenna may be weaker than you expect, and the iView's tuner may not be quite good enough to lock it in reliably.

In that case, the solution may be as simple as a different antenna. What kind of antenna are you using?
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List