Forum Jump: 
 29Likes

post #3661 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Another possible cause of the problem is that you're recording one of the stations that just seems to flummox the iView. Ion affiliates are particularly bad about this, but I've seen it on others as well.

Many stations will cause the iView to "double-clutch" when you tune them: the station tunes in, but then the screen goes blank for a second and then the station tunes in again. Usually that's just a minor annoyance, but a few stations seem to go further: the station seems to get completely erased and added back. Any subchannels you deleted, renamed, or skipped suddenly reappear and go back to their original names. If this happens, I suspect you'd lose any timers you've set for the station as well.

I don't know of any sure cure for this. Leaving the iView turned on and tuned to the station in question may help, but even that's not guaranteed.
cwikkid likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
How 'bout a powered USB enclosure? I like the NexStar CX, which has both USB and eSATA ports, for the iView and a PC. Mine's a 3.5" model but they make 2.5" models too.

Then you can use a USB-powered hub. I use an IOGear 4-port hub, mostly because it was cheap. Works fine. A hub doesn't draw much current, so it won't overtax your iView.
Did you use the 2.0 USB enclosure or the 3.0?

Last edited by AntheaH; 09-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.
post #3663 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. I use a USB-powered 2.0 hub; to make sure it worked I tried it with both a USB-powered 3.0 HDD and an externally-powered USB 2.0 HDD. IIRC if both were plugged in, it labeled one 'C' and the other 'D' and I had to select one. If only one was plugged in, it was always 'C'.
AntheaH likes this.
post #3664 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Names of shows in recordings

My number one biggest complaint with this unit is it doesn't tell me Seinfeld recorded at 11:30 PM on Channel 5 INSTEAD it says something arcane like WKRC-011:30-12:00-3-3-14. Has anyone hacked a fix for this or know if the company knows of it and will fix.

Thanks
Brian
post #3665 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 335
You can only rename the files manually, e.g. by connecting the drive to a PC. The manufacturer doesn't seem to consider it to be a problem, as it would have been an easy change to make in any of the half dozen different firmware revisions that exist.
post #3666 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Thats what really bites about this, I guess you have to buy a tv guide to keep up with what you record. Sad because the info is right there for the thing to use.
post #3667 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
If the Iview were to name the file based on the PSIP data when the recording started, I'd be in trouble.

I start the recording one minute before the scheduled start in order to ensure a complete program. Thus, I'd probably have the file name based on the preceding program. Oops!
post #3668 of 3682 Old 09-16-2014, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Some DVRs compensate for that, but you're probably right: even if iView added the ability to name recordings based on PSIP, the recordings would probably have the wrong names when you started your recording early. It sounds just like something iView would do.
post #3669 of 3682 Old 09-17-2014, 07:36 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwikkid View Post
All I want to do is to record the same show (the news) every week night from an OTA antennae. I have reception. I am able to record. I schedule it to record. It records one night, maybe two nights but ultimately the scheduled recording entree is gone and it doesn't record the next night. The scheduled recording disappears from the "schedule" section. I've reprogrammed it 20 times. It's getting frustrating. I have a 3/4 switch. I have firmware v3. This set top box would be perfect if it would just not stop recording the one program I want it to record. I can't find any threads addressing this problem. I feel like this box should be able to do such a basic thing but it won't do it consistently or rather repeatedly and predictably.
You'll get lots of excellent info - like weak signal,etc. I've been dealing with these same problems since I first got the I-View 1.5+ years ago. Mine boils down to the I-View can't handle OTA stations that broadcast 720p. The more subchannels, the worse the I-View is at getting PSIP data out of the stream. I have thousands of hours of successful recordings on 1080i broadcast stations - NO missed recordings or lost scheduled events. 720p stations -> constant missed recordings and dropped events - so bad that I have to run another recorder just for 720p stations. Technically, the 720/1080 doesn't make much sense - I'm just reporting my experiences. If it was just one 720p station I would believe poor signal or PSIP issues, but not when it's all the 720p stations I've tried. Just to add to the confusion, I wouldn't rule out the occasional "non-conforming" PSIP data for some channels.
cwikkid likes this.
post #3670 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 04:27 AM

First time recording on program with the iview and watching a different program on the tv tuner at the same time, OTA. Soon as the iview started up the reception on the tv went haywire. Running a cable from the wall to a splitter to the tv and iview from there, iview is hooked up hdmi if that matters.

Any suggestions ? Do I need to boost the signal from the attic antenna if I run both tuners ?
post #3671 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathStalker57 View Post
Ok so I tired the v1 firmware with no success still no cable channels only over the air channels. I so I upgraded it to v3 and still no channels. It is set to cable scan and I'm in the USA. I'm not using an antenna because I'm just trying to use the dorm room 75 ohm cable jack and get some channels since my TV is effectively a monitor.
Try leaving the country set to the default which if I remember right is Mexico. I did that by mistake and then it scanned and found all of the channels though about half were mis-identified as radio channels. With this unit and all of the low end ones I have tried so the common problem is mis-identifying the channels as music/radio. The Channelmaster tuner finds everything fine though at three times the cost.
post #3672 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
I've been using Ver3 on the 3/4 switch model.

I still have the glitches I posted previously. (I did do reset to factory default too.)

As before, will still randomly flip back to PCM audio and off HDMI RAW.

Recordings are still hit and miss. Usually miss. It will turn on, begin the recording, then after a while it just stops recording and the unit remains on, instead of shutting off after, etc.

The file that is created when this happens will not show total length when played just 00:00.

I'm recording the Roosevelt Doc on PBS. They repeat it back, to back. Every night, the 8-10pm recording fails. But, the 10PM-12AM recording has the complete file, though the unit still doesn't shut off after.

Last night, I tried an experiment and did a recording before the 8-10PM. The 8-10PM still failed.

Not signal related, as I get this particular channel 100%, without an amp. (Besides, I have other full recordings from another PBS, that is very far away, with marginal signal. This box still records in that condition. One gets the drop outs, etc. as the live broadcast would have had for me.)

Using WD 120GB USB HDD that doesn't require external power. (Passport)

P.S. Above, someone mentioned the "Double Clutch" on channels, during non recording live viewing. I get that too. I found that when this happens, it also wipes the last channel viewed from memory, so you can't press return to toggle back. If there are two channels I want to flip between, I've just started to press return right after it tunes to the other channel. This seems to interrupt it from double tuning the same channel.

Last edited by StormCrow; 09-18-2014 at 08:15 AM.
post #3673 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatnikV View Post
First time recording on program with the iview and watching a different program on the tv tuner at the same time, OTA. Soon as the iview started up the reception on the tv went haywire. Running a cable from the wall to a splitter to the tv and iview from there, iview is hooked up hdmi if that matters.

Any suggestions ? Do I need to boost the signal from the attic antenna if I run both tuners ?
It's been reported that some iView/HDD combinations produce a lot of RF interference. Usually it messes up the recording itself, but I can believe it messing up live viewing too, especially if the live-viewed station is weak and the station being recorded is stronger.

An amplifier or amplified splitter might help. Making the signals stronger would make it less likely that interference would screw a signal up. It's hard to say for sure until you try though.
post #3674 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks, I picked up a Radio Shack antenna booster at DD's for 9.99, I'm going to give it a shot.

http://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Hig.../dp/B00AIZ85N6

Reading reviews I probably tossed 9.99 in the trash.

Just like anything I've ever bought with Radio Shacks label, it doesn't work. It does do something, completely eliminates all signal completely.

I did get a couple of new 6' cables out of it, so not a total loss.

Last edited by BeatnikV; 09-18-2014 at 05:03 PM.
post #3675 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM

Hi, First of all this thread has been really helpful to have an idea of what I was purchasing as well as initial setup. I got my new iView 3500STBii today with a 3/4 switch in the back and it's running firmware V2, even though I've read some people have newer firmware (v3?). I am hooked up to existing cable and just want to be able to record a few shows from ABC, like jeopardy that I can't find online. Here is my problem:

In my area near New york city KABC is channel 7 on cable and OTA and I'm doing an auto scan which comes up with 30 channels. While it is scanning I can see KABC-HD show up in the scan list and it lists it as channel 26. As soon as the scan is done I hit the EPG button and scroll over to 7-1 and it is showing programming from a different channel (I think 4-1 or 4-2) and then it quickly disappears and I can not access the channel ever again. It just says invalid channel.

Is there anything I can do to get this channel? I know it is there because all my other TV's in the house tune this with their built in tuner on 7-1 and this unit should as well. It also will not work doing a manual scan of channel 7 or 26, but I don't know what other channels I could try. I feel it's finding it in the scan but is somehow getting confused with it. It's just ironic because I get NBC, CBS, Fox, and the one channel I bought this for is having a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #3676 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

KABC is in Los Angeles, not NYC WABC is in NYC. (Interestingly, both stations are on channel 7.)

I'm making a lot of guesses here: first, I'm guessing you're using an antenna. Cable channels are almost never numbered correctly on the iView, and IIRC Cablevision in NYC scrambles all their channels, so you couldn't use the iView anyway.

Start here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=1. This Web page shows all the channels in the NYC area. (However, you probably won't be within range of all of them.)

The leftmost column shows the "virtual" channel number. This is the channel number you're used to seeing. The second column shows the physical channel number: this is the channel number you have to use when doing a manual scan.

Notice that in many cases, the virtual channel and physical channel are different. Also notice that for the major networks, the physical channel is usually a UHF channel. WABC is different though. It's virtual and physical channel are both 7, which is VHF.

Many modern antennas are designed for UHF and perform poorly on VHF. If yours is one, that could be part of the problem. WABC's signal from your antenna may be weaker than you expect, and the iView's tuner may not be quite good enough to lock it in reliably.

In that case, the solution may be as simple as a different antenna. What kind of antenna are you using?
post #3677 of 3682 Old 09-18-2014, 04:41 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
KABC is in Los Angeles, not NYC WABC is in NYC. (Interestingly, both stations are on channel 7.)

I'm making a lot of guesses here: first, I'm guessing you're using an antenna. Cable channels are almost never numbered correctly on the iView, and IIRC Cablevision in NYC scrambles all their channels, so you couldn't use the iView anyway.

Start here: http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?mktid=1. This Web page shows all the channels in the NYC area. (However, you probably won't be within range of all of them.)

The leftmost column shows the "virtual" channel number. This is the channel number you're used to seeing. The second column shows the physical channel number: this is the channel number you have to use when doing a manual scan.

Notice that in many cases, the virtual channel and physical channel are different. Also notice that for the major networks, the physical channel is usually a UHF channel. WABC is different though. It's virtual and physical channel are both 7, which is VHF.

Many modern antennas are designed for UHF and perform poorly on VHF. If yours is one, that could be part of the problem. WABC's signal from your antenna may be weaker than you expect, and the iView's tuner may not be quite good enough to lock it in reliably.

In that case, the solution may be as simple as a different antenna. What kind of antenna are you using?
Our local ABC affiliate is also on physical/virtual channel 7, which I think might be holdover from the old days when ABC first started broadcasting. They were relegated to the high-VHF range when all the "big" existing networks had grabbed up the primo (at that time) low-VHF channels, with their superior ability to cover a wide area and over mountains. My other ABC channel is located about 120 miles away on channel 10.

Yes, unless you have a VHF section on your antenna you are unlikely to pick up a high-VHF station. Generally, for a cheap indoor antenna a VHF section will just be the classic rabbit ears which I have recommended in this thread from experience and theory to adjust as flat as possible and with a distance of about 32 inches between
the tips of the "ears" for receiving channel 7.

But there may be another issue, because I know there is for me. You see, I don't just have one "channel 7" ("virtual" channel 7), I have two: one that broadcasts from about 45 miles away on physical channel 7, and the same virtual channel 7 on physical channel 35 from about 20 miles away. Several other channels also use these types of "repeaters" or "translators", and I hate them with a fiery passion, BECAUSE...

I get the physical channel 7 perfectly at 100 percent bar, but the physical channel 35 only comes in at about 70 percent at best and is more subject to multipath interference being UHF (my antenna is aimed towards the physical channel 7 and the closer channel 35 is about 35 degrees off-axis as well).

For different TVs and receivers this seems to present a differing set of problems. Most notably, my ChannelMaster converter box will quite often not be able to pick up channel 7 at all, even though I can watch it fine on my flat-screen right above it on a splitter. I do think that some boxes and TVs get confused by the two physical channels for the same virtual channel and in the case of the ChannelMaster box they just kind of give up.

Now many people have noted that the iView has a nasty habit of apparently tuning into a station successfully, then go black for a second, then come back a second later. This does seem to happen to me on the stations that have repeaters. For other stations, it might be adjacent channels that "confuse" the iView. In any event, you can't always rely on any particular box or TV to tune into any particular station, even WITH an appropriate antenna. Once again, welcome to the golden age of digital TV broadcasting...

Now, that said, I have a question about ABC, which may even be pertinent. For a few weeks now, I have been getting bad audio from the ABC stations during ABC programming. Local programming is fine, but the ABC shows and commercials have this kind of tinny echo-y flimsy sound, which degrades to virtual unlistenability when I crank up a program with low-frequency audio.

I thought it was just the physical channel 7 station, so I called them up about it a couple days ago and left a message with the station engineer. It now seems just a tad better but still nothing like the sound quality of all the other DD5.1 stations. Has anybody else noticed this on ABC programming? I say it may be pertinent because in my painful experience, bad digital data of any sort can have a major impact on the receivability of the station (I actually had a bad signal from a local station completely lock up my stupid Sony flat-screen, which I could only get permanently fixed by calling the station engineer, which they fixed somehow within a few hours).

--
maxreactance
post #3678 of 3682 Old 09-19-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

A translator for WABC might explain the OP seeing it on RF 26. If rabbitears.info has current info, there are two NYC-area stations on that frequency: WYXN-LD, a puny 600-watt station, supposedly has CCTV News; and W26DC, licensed for 15kW, is supposedly off the air. But if rabbitears is out of date, one or the other could be simulcasting WABC.

No telling what the iView would do with duplicate channel 7-1's. It should just list them both, but its firmware doesn't exactly have a reputation for reliability

It's been a while since we had any duplicates in DFW. For awhile after the DTV transition, KTVT/11 was broadcasting on both RF 11 and RF 19, so I could see how various boxes handled it. Some worked correctly and just listed 11-1 twice. IIRC the CM-7000 CECB just dropped RF 11; I guess RF 19 was the last station scanned and it just overlaid the RF 11 entry. The DTVPal and CM-7000Pal DVR renumbered RF 19 to channel 70, above any "real" channel number; and an Apex DT250 just used the physical channel number, so RF 19 was listed as 19-1. But KTVT shut off the RF 11 signal before the iView hit the market.
post #3679 of 3682 Old 09-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
A translator for WABC might explain the OP seeing it on RF 26. If rabbitears.info has current info, there are two NYC-area stations on that frequency: WYXN-LD, a puny 600-watt station, supposedly has CCTV News; and W26DC, licensed for 15kW, is supposedly off the air. But if rabbitears is out of date, one or the other could be simulcasting WABC.

No telling what the iView would do with duplicate channel 7-1's. It should just list them both, but its firmware doesn't exactly have a reputation for reliability

It's been a while since we had any duplicates in DFW. For awhile after the DTV transition, KTVT/11 was broadcasting on both RF 11 and RF 19, so I could see how various boxes handled it. Some worked correctly and just listed 11-1 twice. IIRC the CM-7000 CECB just dropped RF 11; I guess RF 19 was the last station scanned and it just overlaid the RF 11 entry. The DTVPal and CM-7000Pal DVR renumbered RF 19 to channel 70, above any "real" channel number; and an Apex DT250 just used the physical channel number, so RF 19 was listed as 19-1. But KTVT shut off the RF 11 signal before the iView hit the market.
Definitely different TVs/receivers handle duplicate VIRTUAL channels differently. My Sony flatscreen will show both in the list of channels scanned. I'm not sure how it decides which one to show, but I do know that sometimes I will lose the currently tuned physical channel for whatever reason, and I can go to the scanned channel list and select the other physical channel, and then that works. But later, if I tune in the virtual channel again, it will go to the bad physical channel, and I have to go through the whole silly process again.

One of the reasons I hate the translators is very conveniently most are located on physical channels for stations that I could otherwise get, from distances of from 90-120 miles away. So I get weird spotty or non-reception from the local stations and can't get the additional non-local stations they block out.

As far as adjacent channels are concerned, I seem to have a problem like that with my ChannelMaster boxes, in that they get all confused between virtual channel 2 and virtual channel 48, broadcast on physical channels 48 and 49 respectively, and wind up showing channel 2 without station info quite often...until I rescan, then they work OK for a while, then go back to the bad behavior after a few weeks. The Sony flatscreen has no problem with these adjacent physical channels.

Again, welcome to the golden age of digital TV...and I still don't know why my ABC stations have such horrible audio for ABC programming, except that sometimes I do have weird reception problems for them as noted above...

--
maxreactance
post #3680 of 3682 Old 09-21-2014, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrDewey View Post
The 3/4 switch is indicative of a new hardware revision (i.e. completely new circuitry) and has little to do with the actual switch itself. This hardware revision has a lot of issues, and quite frankly is not ready for production, but it seems to work for OTA if that's what you plan to use it for.
FWIW, I had a 3500STBII without the 3/4 switch about six months or so ago. After updating the firmware, was able to tune in all of the in-the-clear cable channels that exist on my internet-only TimeWarner cable subscription.; the Iview tuned every channel that the tuner in my TV did. I used the "properties" menu on my TV to find out the physical channel and frequency of each station, then used the manual search function on the iView to program each physical channel.. which usually included more than one viewable channel.

Fast forward a month or two... the unit bricked. Just stopped working... shut off completely while we were watching a game and would not turn back on.. no lights, nothing. I opened it up and there wasn't any evidence of burned or shorted components, but I didn't do any actual circuit tracing. Amazon was nice enough to still accept the unit back as defective and credited me. Unlike most internet retailers, Amazon's service continues to impress me.

Well, football season is here again, and I wanted to watch the games on our tuner-less projector. Figured I'd chance another $30 on a new iView and hope for the best.. even if it only lasts one month, it's still cheaper than a month of cable. This time, Amazon shipped a 3500STBII WITH the 3/4 switch and the v2 firmware; just got it yesterday. I was bummed initially. However, after screwing around with it for about an hour, it tuned in NBC, CBS, ABC, ION, CW, FOX, and four local PBS stations... no firmware updates necessary.

The trick? Make SURE you've got all of the menu settings correct. I thought I had, but I had missed one. Country- USA, not Mexico (although earlier in this huge thread someone mentioned that Mexico worked for them better), signal - CABLE, not AIR (stupid, I know... but I thought I had set it correctly only to find that I somehow pressed too many buttons or not enough, and it was STILL on AIR when I returned to that screen to check my settings..I put it on CABLE and everything worked great). Then, manual scan by typing in each physical channel one at a time, waiting until the signal strength meter shows signal, then press OK... then repeat for the next physical channel you want to program. That's it.. works great.

So, either I got lucky, or all the talk about the 3500STBII w/ the 3/4 switch and v2 software not working for cable is not true and it's just a matter of making sure the settings are correct before scanning.

I called iView yesterday to get the new firmware, but they were closed (Saturday) and their voicemail was full....?@??!?! I emailed them instead and asked them to send me the firmware... we'll see. I just found the posts linking to the v3 software, which I've downloaded. Since, right now, everything seems to be working, is there any point in updating the v2 to v3?

Oh... any, just out of curiosity, does anyone have any idea why my first box bricked when it had been working great?
videobruce likes this.
post #3681 of 3682 Old 09-21-2014, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Great post.

Why it stopped working? Not checking the voltages off the PS, some component failed. Main processor? Something common to the entire unit? Most would say the PS. A common part to go bad.

Most/many tuners (TV's, DVR, tuners etc.) will not show the physical channel number. Having one that does is a huge plus, especially in this situation since these MSO's love to play "musical channels" but moving things around. That doesn't affect their equipment, but it does yours which they really don't care about.
Your solution is what I have used for years to find out 'who's on first' with CATV systems and OTA in other markets.

The problem with many of these tuners is the inability to decipher ID data for these CATV channels. Some do it better than others. It also depends on the operator, whether they providing virtual OTA channel numbers or not. This has a huge problem doing this. It seems to be either one way or the other with certain firmware versions or worse yet neither on some systems. No idea why there.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #3682 of 3682 Old 09-21-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Since, right now, everything seems to be working, is there any point in updating the v2 to v3?
IMHO I wouldn't. If it's working, leave it alone until or if there's a problem.

I recently got the same unit, but use it for ota only. It's working great and I'm leaving it as is.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page