iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 124 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #3691 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yes. The LNA-200 has a power injector; if you intend to pass power through the splitter, make sure you have a splitter that can pass power through one leg. (The proper leg to pass power should be marked on the splitter.) Otherwise, install the power injector above the splitter.

If you don't need a power injector (e.g., if you have an AC outlet near where the amp will go), you can use the cheaper LNA-100.

So you have two antennas pointing to two different tower farms in opposite directions. It's not an ideal situation, but sometimes it's all you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes. The LNA-200 has a power injector; if you intend to pass power through the splitter, make sure you have a splitter that can pass power through one leg. (The proper leg to pass power should be marked on the splitter.) Otherwise, install the power injector above the splitter.

If you don't need a power injector (e.g., if you have an AC outlet near where the amp will go), you can use the cheaper LNA-100.

So you have two antennas pointing to two different tower farms in opposite directions. It's not an ideal situation, but sometimes it's all you can do.
It's crazy the LNA-100 is about 43.00 prime amazon and the LNA-200 is 47.99 prime amazon so I'm leaning towards the 200.

Here's the end result, at least what I think it should be, please correct me... dotted line represents actual cabling the ___ used to provide clarity in viewing.

antenna-------___________________________------------LNA200-----------STB PVR/DVR device---HDMI---TV

___________---joiner---------------------splitter

antenna-------___________________________--------------------------------TV
post #3693 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Unhappy USB Not Inserted

Now that I've switched over to the HD, I'm getting a USB not inserted message, it was working fine on Sunday!
post #3694 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntheaH View Post
Now that I've switched over to the HD, I'm getting a USB not inserted message, it was working fine on Sunday!
AntheaH I've not had the issue but if I was having your problem I'd review what drive model and size did you end up going with? It is USB 2.0 or 3.0? What is the drive file system format FAT32/NTFS? Are you able to view drive on a computer via USB? When on menu screen in USB area of the STB did you plug in drive to see if does any recognition, refresh?

As information only I'm using two different drives one Western Digital Elements (USB 2.0) and one Western Digital My Passport (USB 2.0/3.0). Both at 1TB drives.
post #3695 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Amazon's LNA-100 price is a bit high. Solid Signal has it for $32.49 plus $6.49 shipping (total $38.98, so you'd save about $9 over the LNA-200): http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...-100&ss=316242

I'm pretty sure they're identical, except for the LNA-200's weatherproof housing and power injector.

Regarding your diagram, it may work OK the way you've diagrammed it. If not, move the amp in front of the splitter. Of course there, it will also amplify the signal to the TV (which shouldn't matter since your TV already gets all the stations you want), but it will give the amp the strongest signal, and therefore the best S/N ratio, to work with. The idea behind using an amp is to "lock in" the best possible S/N ratio by boosting the signal before anything can weaken it too much, so you usually want your amp "upstream" of any splitters, long cables, etc.

If the cable between the joiner and splitter is very long (over 25' for RG-6 or over 15' for RG-59), you might want to put the amp right after the joiner. In this case the LNA-200 might be more convenient to hook up:

Joiner ---- LNA-200 --------------------(long cable)----------------------- Power injector ---- Splitter
post #3696 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Understood on amp location... Thanks for reply. Lot's of attic time is in my future for a reconfig and of course the always fun "scanning" of channels. Thanks again.
post #3697 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterdeal View Post
AntheaH I've not had the issue but if I was having your problem I'd review what drive model and size did you end up going with? It is USB 2.0 or 3.0? What is the drive file system format FAT32/NTFS? Are you able to view drive on a computer via USB? When on menu screen in USB area of the STB did you plug in drive to see if does any recognition, refresh?

As information only I'm using two different drives one Western Digital Elements (USB 2.0) and one Western Digital My Passport (USB 2.0/3.0). Both at 1TB drives.
I was able to view the HD over the weekend with no problems. Now its not registering either flash drive or the NTFS HD.

Yes, I've done both plus I reset back to factory default and updated to the new firmware.
post #3698 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 11:59 AM

Oh if it's not registering media it recognized before I say box it up and send it back.

You mention firmware, is it a Ch 3/4 model?
post #3699 of 4185 Old 10-07-2014, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntheaH View Post
A recurring problem with iViews is the tendency of the USB port to wear out and fail to make good contact over time.

First I'd check the HDD in a PC to make sure it works there. If it does, try wiggling the cable in the iView's USB socket to see if you can get it to connect.

If it won't work in the iView at all, it might be a power issue. They used to make USB Y-adapters that would feed the power from one USB plug (plugged into a USB wall adapter) and feed the data from the other (plugged into the iView.) You might see if you can still find one of those online.

OTOH if it's an intermittent connection, try a USB extension cable. It might connect better. If not, you might be able to open up the iView (assuming it's not under warranty) and very carefully squeeze the USB socket with pliers so it makes better contact.

I usually recommend plugging a short USB extension cable or a hub into the iView socket and plugging your HDD into that. That way, only the extension cable or hub will wear out, both of which are cheaper to replace than the iView.
post #3700 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Désilets View Post
Hi All, ,

I have buy the 3500STBII (3/4 switch) , for over ota for 4 channel ,everything seem to work , i love the option to play my media file from my HDD .

My only problem, is that a got 4 channel, and only 1 of them i can retrieve program listing, all the other 3, i got searching...and nothing happens,

Anyone have any idea ??

Thank you

Anyone have any idea of my problem??

Thank you again
post #3701 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 07:52 AM

Issue with playing recorded mts files

There seems to be an issue with recorded programs on a usb drive. I recorded two or three sample programs, then went to play them. The files show on the left and I clicked ok to play them. The first time playing them there was no problem. After shutting off the converter box and pulling out the usb drive, then turning on the box again, I put in the usb drive. I go to PVR to play the recorded programs again, but they will not play again.

They only play the first time I record them but not a second time. I see the files listed on the left, I click on one file to play. Then it says init (i guess initiazing) but the program does not play. It does seem to highlight the next file below. None of the mts files play after the first time.

Did anyone have this issue?

I have the STB3500ii model and used a 64gig usb.
post #3702 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
The ability to record without freezing or skipping depends on the drive's write speed. SSDs are optimized for speed, so I'd expect them to work just fine (albeit rather expensive for DVR use).

Yes, many have reported that USB 3.0 drives also work without freezing or skipping. Presumably they're faster than USB 2.0 drives, or there would be no point in giving them 3.0 capability. But they're not necessarily as fast as SSDs, so you can't be sure until you try.

(Read speed is usually much faster, so the Homeworx can play back even HD video from just about any USB drive. It's just recording that you need to worry about.)

It also depends on the bit rate of the channel you're recording. Even USB 2.0 drives are often OK for recording most SD channels.

BTW, I haven't tried .FLVs, but the iView and Homeworx both play .MP4s. Occasionally I've run into problems trying to play .MP4 in pillar-box mode: if the .MP4 was cropped, it can confuse the iView and make it play at an absurd aspect ratio. If this happens, you just have to play them in full-screen mode. The iView and Homeworx can also both play audio, such as music, and photo slide shows.
TY, In a sense I thought a thumb drive is based on the same principal as the SSD.

I finally opened mine up & took a look see, hooked up to a 20" CRT & ran it via the RF modulator on Channel 4, set up for 4:3 Pan & Scan, (I may want to use on a LCD 16:9 in the future though).

I played a 320P (what I believe is a) MP4 file, as these are compressd, is the iView uncompressing on the fly, or am I viewing in compressed mode, or is it upconverting to 480p? I thought the PQ was near DVD quality I was impressed, yet not so impressed with the sound, sounded distorted, I'll have to wait to view more files to give a specific evaluation. I'm planning on converting some of these files to DVD, so I was curious. Did get one freeze where I couldn't toggle between directories, just exited & returned.

My front numeric display is red much to my surprise, was expecting green, though it mixes it up a bit not a problem.

Comparing the tuner to my Zenith DT901, the iView did not handle my problematic VHF channels well at all compared to the Zenith, however the stronger channels were acceptable with good PQ & sound.

I use quick connect F connectors, where they fit very snugly on the Zenith, while they fit loose on the iView, needed a bit of bending them to get them to stay put.

Anyhow it's a new unit with a channel 3/4 switch on the back, not sure of the firmware. Will the firmware correct any of the reception issues?

Last edited by Bismarck440; 10-08-2014 at 12:11 PM.
post #3703 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Désilets View Post
Anyone have any idea of my problem??

Thank you again
In the US, full-power TV stations are required to broadcast at least 9-12 hours of guide info; I'm not sure about Canada's rules, though.

You might check the same stations on a TV or other device. (But don't use a device like a TiVo that gets show info from the Internet. You want to check only what's coming over the air.) Most tuners can display at least the name of the current show. If that's missing, it's the stations' fault.

In Quebec, I'd expect the stations to broadcast the guide in both English and French, but you might try both language settings on your iView, in case those 3 stations are only broadcasting the guide in only one language.
post #3704 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopey60 View Post
There seems to be an issue with recorded programs on a usb drive. I recorded two or three sample programs, then went to play them. The files show on the left and I clicked ok to play them. The first time playing them there was no problem. After shutting off the converter box and pulling out the usb drive, then turning on the box again, I put in the usb drive. I go to PVR to play the recorded programs again, but they will not play again.

They only play the first time I record them but not a second time. I see the files listed on the left, I click on one file to play. Then it says init (i guess initiazing) but the program does not play. It does seem to highlight the next file below. None of the mts files play after the first time.

Did anyone have this issue?

I have the STB3500ii model and used a 64gig usb.
Haven't heard of this one before. It sounds as if your files got corrupted somehow. Could the iView have been recording when you shut it off?
post #3705 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
TY, In a sense I thought a thumb drive is based on the same principal as the SSD.

I finally opened mine up & took a look see, hooked up to a 20" CRT & ran it via the RF modulator on Channel 4, set up for 4:3 Pan & Scan, (I may want to use on a LCD 16:9 in the future though).

I played a 320P (what I believe is a) MP4 file, as these are compressed, is the iView uncompressing on the fly, or am I viewing in compressed mode, or is it upconverting to 480p? I thought the PQ was near DVD quality I was impressed, yet not so impressed with the sound, sounded distorted, I'll have to wait to view more files to give a specific evaluation. I'm planning on converting some of these files to DVD, so I was curious. Did get one freeze where I couldn't toggle between directories, just exited & returned.

My front numeric display is red much to my surprise, was expecting green, though it mixes it up a bit not a problem.

Comparing the tuner to my Zenith DT901, the iView did not handle my problematic VHF channels well at all compared to the Zenith, however the stronger channels were acceptable with good PQ & sound.

I use quick connect F connectors, where they fit very snugly on the Zenith, while they fit loose on the iView, needed a bit of bending them to get them to stay put.

Anyhow it's a new unit with a channel 3/4 switch on the back, not sure of the firmware. Will the firmware correct any of the reception issues?
I think thumb drives and SSDs are the same basic technology (flash ROM), just implemented differently: thumb drives to minimize cost/megabyte, SSDs to maximize speed and durability.

The iView decompresses the video, either a file or what it receives over the air, and scales it down (or up) to 480i for the composite and RF outputs. If you use the high-definition (component and HDMI) outputs, it will scale them to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p; whatever best matches your display.

The iView also decompresses audio and down-mixes any "home theater" (5.1-channel) tracks to stereo. The RF modulator further mixes the left & right channels down to mono; if you want stereo, use the L/R (white/red) RCA audio jacks or a digital audio output (coaxial or HDMI). The digital outputs can also provide raw 5.1-channel audio for a home theater system if that's what the station broadcasts.

The audio & video compression used for over-the-air TV is the same as for DVDs, so standard definition .mts files created by the iView can be "remuxed" to DVD-format .vob files without re-encoding them, making the process reasonably quick. (I use a free program called "DVD Styler" on my PC to do this.)

High-definition recordings will need to be re-encoded, though; either to scale them down to 480p for DVDs, or to convert to the more compact h.264 compression for Blu-Ray. (Strictly speaking, I suppose you could just remux them for Blu-Ray, but you wouldn't be able fit nearly as much on each disc.) Re-encoding will take longer; possibly a lot longer depending on your PCs speed.

In the long run you'll probably want to buy some cables with screw-on F connectors so you know they'll stay in place. But quick-connect is probably fine for now.

I don't think new firmware would help your VHF reception issues. The iView's tuner is a bit weaker than the Zenith's, but I'd still look at my antenna first. What kind are you using?
post #3706 of 4185 Old 10-08-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
In the US, full-power TV stations are required to broadcast at least 9-12 hours of guide info; I'm not sure about Canada's rules, though.

You might check the same stations on a TV or other device. (But don't use a device like a TiVo that gets show info from the Internet. You want to check only what's coming over the air.) Most tuners can display at least the name of the current show. If that's missing, it's the stations' fault.

In Quebec, I'd expect the stations to broadcast the guide in both English and French, but you might try both language settings on your iView, in case those 3 stations are only broadcasting the guide in only one language.

Ok Thank you!, i will look at this!
post #3707 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 12:35 AM

Liked: 10
I have been using a Magnavox recorder for about four years, it's been a great OTA recorder for timeshifting but it's SD, I have never used the DVD, I have only ever used about half the capacity of the 320GB hard drive. It is time to upgrade to HD. Up to now the price and firmware quirks have put me off the Channelmasters and Tivos etc. The enthusiasm for the Iview is infectious. I am looking to put together an Iview system that has value, reliability and good looks (WAF), I did read most of the early pages of this thread but I have questions:
1. If I start with a USB stick, say 8GB, just to get the hang of the Iview, what stick do you recommend?
2. I am new to external hard drives. From reading this thread it appears that the Iview power supply or cooling is the weak point. I assume a USB drive with its own power supply is a better option? If so and I need a 500GB drive what is recommended? I have seen some WD drives that look like a small book that look nice.
3. I need to upgrade my attic antenna, it's UHF only, long and highly directional and even with the Magnavox the loss in the coax down lead causes some stations to be marginal. With the Iview there is no traditional pass thru so I will need an inline amplifier at the antenna, a power injector at the other end of the down lead and then a two way splitter. I am considering the RCA inline amplifier it seems to offer good value?
I would like to be able to buy from Amazon for obvious reasons.
I hope this thread will help other Iview newbies.
Thanks, Trevor.
post #3708 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
I have been using a Magnavox recorder for about four years, it's been a great OTA recorder for timeshifting but it's SD, I have never used the DVD, I have only ever used about half the capacity of the 320GB hard drive. It is time to upgrade to HD. Up to now the price and firmware quirks have put me off the Channelmasters and Tivos etc. The enthusiasm for the Iview is infectious. I am looking to put together an Iview system that has value, reliability and good looks (WAF), I did read most of the early pages of this thread but I have questions:
1. If I start with a USB stick, say 8GB, just to get the hang of the Iview, what stick do you recommend?
2. I am new to external hard drives. From reading this thread it appears that the Iview power supply or cooling is the weak point. I assume a USB drive with its own power supply is a better option? If so and I need a 500GB drive what is recommended? I have seen some WD drives that look like a small book that look nice.
3. I need to upgrade my attic antenna, it's UHF only, long and highly directional and even with the Magnavox the loss in the coax down lead causes some stations to be marginal. With the Iview there is no traditional pass thru so I will need an inline amplifier at the antenna, a power injector at the other end of the down lead and then a two way splitter. I am considering the RCA inline amplifier it seems to offer good value?
I would like to be able to buy from Amazon for obvious reasons.
I hope this thread will help other Iview newbies.
Thanks, Trevor.
First thing to keep in mind is that if reliability is important to you (which you said) the iview is not a box to count on for recording purposes.

If you still want to get it, a USB flash drive is not recommended. If you really want to use one anyway, best to go with a USB 3.0 stick with high write speeds and low latency. 8GB will only be enough for one hour of full HD recording so that size is not ideal either.

It is best in my opinion to go with an externally powered HDD but many have used usb powered drives without issue. With an externally powered drive, my iview never got even what I would call warm. If you used a usb powered HDD then it would be best to get one that does not draw too much power. There are recs in this thread but I don't remember off hand. I used externally powered drives, both usb 2.0 and 3.0 WD My Book drives.

I don't personally have amplifier recs. Your reception with the iview may vary from your other devices. It is prone to easy interference. You have to be careful with amplification. I did in my circumstances have to use an amplified antenna but for many using amplification will make reception worse on the iview. Some have had to use attenuators where they normally wouldn't.
post #3709 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

That's pretty much correct. The iView can work reliably in some environments, but by no means all. As they used to say on car ads, Your Mileage May Vary.

For storage, I use external 2.5" drives intended primarily for laptops. They require little power, can be purchased for around $50-$60, and can be reused with a PC or another DVR if you decide to bail on the iView.

Its tuner is a bit weak, but again, YMMV. Many folks get all their stations just fine. My advice is to try the iView without making any changes first; then, if you have "problem" stations, you can look at upgrading your antenna and/or adding amplification.

Amplification can sometimes make things worse instead of better, especially if your signals are strong to start with. If you have tuner issues, post back and we'll try to help.
post #3710 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 07:55 AM

Liked: 1
Quote:
KABC is in Los Angeles, not NYC WABC is in NYC. (Interestingly, both stations are on channel 7.)

I'm making a lot of guesses here: first, I'm guessing you're using an antenna. Cable channels are almost never numbered correctly on the iView, and IIRC Cablevision in NYC scrambles all their channels, so you couldn't use the iView anyway.
Thank you for your reply. I had left it alone for a few days, but to clarify this I AM connected to cable. The channel numbers were completely different and confusing after I got the latest firmware from May '14 which was labelled V1 for some reason. I got way more channels but I'm still missing ABC HD.

To check this I hooked up the cable to my tv and it immediately found it as channel 7-1 (HD) with no issues.

I am scared to do another scan because it found almost 400 blocked channels and I had to go and manually delete all the blank channels and ones I don't care to watch. The manual search was unsuccessful for every channel I tried.

Is there any other way to try and find a channel that my TV is picking up no problem?
post #3711 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Ah, I see now. Apparently you're one of the lucky New Yorkers who still has some unencrypted cable TV.

Even so, cable is really tough to work with on these boxes. You may already know that digital TV channels have two different kinds of channel numbers: a "real" (or RF) channel number, and a virtual channel number which is the one you normally see. For OTA, the RF channel number is set by the FCC and will rarely change, but for cable, each cable operator assigns their own - and they may also change it from time to time.

Normally you don't see, or even care about, any of this because most tuners will show you the virtual channel number instead. The problem with the iView is that it only understands one way of assigning virtual channel numbers, called PSIP. PSIP is used for almost all OTA channels, but is very rarely used with cable. That would explain why you got so few channels with the original firmware: they're probably the handful the iView could find PSIP virtual channel numbers for.

Firmware V1 is different: for cable, it doesn't use PSIP-assigned channel numbers at all, so it finds everything, including the hundreds of encrypted channels as you discovered. Instead, it uses the RF channel number, so all your stations have weird channel numbers.

Chances are your cable company's customer service is used to dealing with customers using the cable company boxes, or other tuners that pick up the virtual channel numbers, so they probably won't know any RF channel numbers. But I believe there are online databases that try to keep track of the RF channel numbers that various cable operators use. You'll have to search for one that lists your cable company, then see if they list the RF channel for ABC HD.
post #3712 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
I think thumb drives and SSDs are the same basic technology (flash ROM), just implemented differently: thumb drives to minimize cost/megabyte, SSDs to maximize speed and durability.

The iView decompresses the video, either a file or what it receives over the air, and scales it down (or up) to 480i for the composite and RF outputs. If you use the high-definition (component and HDMI) outputs, it will scale them to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p; whatever best matches your display.

The audio & video compression used for over-the-air TV is the same as for DVDs, so standard definition .mts files created by the iView can be "remuxed" to DVD-format .vob files without re-encoding them, making the process reasonably quick. (I use a free program called "DVD Styler" on my PC to do this.)

High-definition recordings will need to be re-encoded, though; either to scale them down to 480p for DVDs, or to convert to the more compact h.264 compression for Blu-Ray. (Strictly speaking, I suppose you could just remux them for Blu-Ray, but you wouldn't be able fit nearly as much on each disc.) Re-encoding will take longer; possibly a lot longer depending on your PCs speed.

In the long run you'll probably want to buy some cables with screw-on F connectors so you know they'll stay in place. But quick-connect is probably fine for now.

I don't think new firmware would help your VHF reception issues. The iView's tuner is a bit weaker than the Zenith's, but I'd still look at my antenna first. What kind are you using?
So converting a 360P gets upscaled to a 480P then? The same videos look awful when blown up to full screen on a PC, yet don't look so bad on a SD 20" CRT... I expected them to look worse.

I'm using (& tested this on) an old 90 or 120 mile Radio Shack antenna from the 80's or 90's laying in the attic, I also have a small Gemini inline amp at the set. The back end is damaged but still held together, which would be the low VHF end, was considering removing the back 4-6 elements to make the antennna more manuverable. It's pretty much served well in analog years even with a Channel 3 & 5 here, though now the lowest Physical channel is 8, though we have a LP on 7 & a soon coming med power on 6, though I don't get 7 & don't expect to get 6, as there will be a null in my direction. I lose my 25 & 55 (Physical 26 & 30 respectevly) when the roof is wet, & my 23 diminishes during the winter months.

I'm in a cluster home, the attic services my upstairs bedrooms, but my main set was served by a common outdoor antenna. Over Memorial Day weekend either a distribution amp went south or someone cut my line. The HOA refuses to look into this & was even told by one on the board that OTA TV don't exist, & to just buy cable & pay for TV like evereone else, common antennas were going to be removed anyway during the next re-roof.

May look into getting a outdoor put on, but have a laundry list of things before that, for now either watch DVD's or TV upstairs.

The iView will eventually replace a VCR I currently use with a Zenith STB. I usually justy record movies off the diginets (ie: Recorded the Valachi Papers off This! the other night), so having a really massive HD isn't that important.
post #3713 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Chances are your cable company's customer service is used to dealing with customers using the cable company boxes, or other tuners that pick up the virtual channel numbers, so they probably won't know any RF channel numbers. But I believe there are online databases that try to keep track of the RF channel numbers that various cable operators use. You'll have to search for one that lists your cable company, then see if they list the RF channel for ABC HD.
Thank you for your response. I see why so many people run V1 on this box. I just upgraded to V3 and did a scan and ran into the same problem, and like you said it didn't find all of the channels, I'm guessing there isn't much I can do. I will try V2a now for the heck of it and see.

Lastly, look at this pic. On V1 and V3 they find WABC-HD and after the scan I start flipping channels and when I get to 7-1 I see an SD 4:3 picture and then it sets me back to the first channel and then the channel is not able to tune after that. I wonder why this is, any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4046.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	302490  
post #3714 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So converting a 360P gets upscaled to a 480P then? The same videos look awful when blown up to full screen on a PC, yet don't look so bad on a SD 20" CRT... I expected them to look worse.
Yes, scaling up videos can actually look worse on a high-resolution monitor. At least that's been my experience. I usually watch low-resolution videos on my phone; they look just fine on that little screen. SD (480i) videos will usually scale up to 1080i without looking too bad, so I watch those on my PC sometimes.

Quote:
I'm using (& tested this on) an old 90 or 120 mile Radio Shack antenna from the 80's or 90's laying in the attic, I also have a small Gemini inline amp at the set. The back end is damaged but still held together, which would be the low VHF end, was considering removing the back 4-6 elements to make the antennna more manuverable. It's pretty much served well in analog years even with a Channel 3 & 5 here, though now the lowest Physical channel is 8, though we have a LP on 7 & a soon coming med power on 6, though I don't get 7 & don't expect to get 6, as there will be a null in my direction. I lose my 25 & 55 (Physical 26 & 30 respectevly) when the roof is wet, & my 23 diminishes during the winter months.
RS exaggerates the range of their antennas but those were still quite nice all-band antennas. I wouldn't remove the VHF-Lo elements though; even though you don't have VHF-Lo stations, the same elements are actually used for VHF-Hi also! But (assuming FM radio isn't a consideration - I just made that mistake on another thread) you might look into a new antenna designed for VHF-Hi and UHF, such as the Channel Master 20xx series, the AntennaCraft HBU series, or the Winegard 769x series.

Quote:
I'm in a cluster home, the attic services my upstairs bedrooms, but my main set was served by a common outdoor antenna. Over Memorial Day weekend either a distribution amp went south or someone cut my line. The HOA refuses to look into this & was even told by one on the board that OTA TV don't exist, & to just buy cable & pay for TV like everyone else, common antennas were going to be removed anyway during the next re-roof.

I've been lucky and never had to deal with an HOA. Sounds like there's a bunch of ignorant elitist snobs on yours.

Quote:
May look into getting a outdoor put on, but have a laundry list of things before that, for now either watch DVD's or TV upstairs.

The iView will eventually replace a VCR I currently use with a Zenith STB. I usually just record movies off the diginets (ie: Recorded the Valachi Papers off This! the other night), so having a really massive HD isn't that important.
If you have an antenna in the attic, and it points through the roof (not just the side of the house), try to use the biggest one you can afford and that will fit, so your stations will have the best shot in the rain. (You can always move it to your roof later.)

Also, if you need an amp, look for one with a power injector, like the LNA-200 I was discussing with someone else earlier, so you can put it up at the antenna end. That might help a bit more.
post #3715 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles609 View Post
Thank you for your response. I see why so many people run V1 on this box. I just upgraded to V3 and did a scan and ran into the same problem, and like you said it didn't find all of the channels, I'm guessing there isn't much I can do. I will try V2a now for the heck of it and see.

Lastly, look at this pic. On V1 and V3 they find WABC-HD and after the scan I start flipping channels and when I get to 7-1 I see an SD 4:3 picture and then it sets me back to the first channel and then the channel is not able to tune after that. I wonder why this is, any ideas?
Hm. That is weird.

Here's what I think might be happening. Apparently your cable does have PSIP for some channels (the call letters and the 7-1 both come from that, and I think V3 only finds ones with PSIP), but apparently the info for WABC-HD is incorrect.

So the scan stores a channel for WABC-HD, but when you try to tune to it, the subchannel doesn't exist on that frequency, or it does exist but the PSIP info doesn't match the info the iView stored during the scan. So the iView refreshes the RF channel it just tuned to (which it thought WABC-HD was on) and WABC-HD disappears.

(I'm guessing other tuners get the virtual channel numbers via a protocol other than PSIP, so they aren't affected. Or maybe they do use PSIP, but are more tolerant of errors in the data than the iView is.)

I see something similar happen on a couple of OTA channels. I scan them, delete any unwanted subchannels, and they work for a while; but one day, I tune to them and something has changed, the iView tries to refresh the channel, gets confused, and I end up losing every subchannel except a useless infomercial channel I'd deleted to start with. I have to manually scan the channel again, then I'm good for another week or so.

One of your TVs may have a way to show you the RF channel number when you tune to WABC. Look for an "info" screen and see if it shows the RF channel number. Or Google something like "<my cable co.> RF channel numbers" and see if you can find the correct channel number online someplace.

Then you could do a manual scan of that channel on the iView. Probably need to use V1 too. And there may be a dozen or so subchannels on that RF channel, most of which will be encrypted and you'll have to delete them. But hopefully you can find WABC among them somewhere.

Good luck. Even if you figure it out, your cable company may decide to move things around someday. If they do, you'll have to rescan.
post #3716 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 01:46 PM

Ok, I have semi-fixed my problem and I'm not sure why but I know how. I want to post what I did in case anyone else has this problem or similar.

I was doing auto scans and I noticed that it would stop at 400 channels. I searched all of the unknown limitations and features of this unit but I didn't see any limit, but the channel I wanted to add was above the top channel that it would scan (I feel it has a max of 400 but not sure, and this was not the case with V3 so maybe not the issue). Initially during my failed scans I saw WABC-HD come up when it reached the frequency 699 MHz but would never show up. When I would manually add 699 MHz which is channel 108, it would not add anything. When I had done my scan of 400 channels it stopped at channel 81 and never went higher. Through messing with firmware updates and resetting to factory defaults I tried adding channel 108 manually after a fresh start and sure enough the channel was right there (108-707). I tried another auto scan but it wiped everything out and I ran into the same problem not being able to add the channel 108 again. I reset to default and did the scan manually.

In the end I had to write down all the channel numbers I wanted in my lineup which took a lot of time (20-704, 20-705, 40-702, and 108-707 etc) and manually add them (Channel 20, 40, and 108...) to get all of my channels I wanted. And somehow when all was complete ABC showed up on channel 7-1 and I have no idea how it wasn't 108-707 now, but it work.

I also had no guide info on any channels added from the auto scan, but I have full guide info when manually added. This was the same on Firmware V1 and V3 so I just stuck with V3 since it was newer.

Thank you JHBrandt for your help
JHBrandt likes this.
post #3717 of 4185 Old 10-09-2014, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Glad you figured it out. Now we know there's a 400-channel limit to the iView's program table; more than enough for OTA, but not for many cable systems since the scan includes encrypted channels. That could explain many of the problems folks have using the iView on cable systems.

Speculating: maybe V3 also adds encrypted channels temporarily but then throws out channels with no PSIP info, so it's subject to the same limit even though you end up with far fewer than 400 channels. But at least V3 gives you the virtual channel-subchannel number you're used to seeing (7-1), not the RF channel-subchannel number (108-707)

I've begged & pleaded for a firmware update to skip encrypted channels. There are even a few encrypted OTA channels (Ion Airbox) and I have to manually delete them every time I rescan Ion. Unfortunately, Ion is one of the channels that automatically rescans itself every week or two, and it adds back the Airbox channels every time.
post #3718 of 4185 Old 10-10-2014, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just received the iView 3500 box. All works great except for the remote. The remote seems to be very weak and unresponsive. Changed batteries several times in the remote so that is not the problem. Remote top led flashes brightly when sending commands. I also removed the front shipping plastic on the face of the unit. Sometimes even pointing the remote directly up to the ir window will not work to change the box. Is this a firmware issue? How do I go about getting the firmware files for this box?? Model # is iView-3500STBI, SW Version: 20140522 V1, HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-ZOO. Firmware on iView site is older than what I have. Any help is greatly appreciated.
post #3719 of 4185 Old 10-10-2014, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdro View Post
Just received the iView 3500 box. All works great except for the remote. The remote seems to be very weak and unresponsive. Changed batteries several times in the remote so that is not the problem. Remote top led flashes brightly when sending commands. I also removed the front shipping plastic on the face of the unit. Sometimes even pointing the remote directly up to the ir window will not work to change the box. Is this a firmware issue? How do I go about getting the firmware files for this box?? Model # is iView-3500STBI, SW Version: 20140522 V1, HW Version: ATSC7816XD-02-ZOO. Firmware on iView site is older than what I have. Any help is greatly appreciated.
This is not typical. Some Homeworx (an iView clone) users have reported remote issues, but it's always been from a distance, not right up to the IR window!

I don't think it's firmware. Others are using V1 without these issues. It sounds like either a bad remote or a bad sensor. (If you want to know which, you could try to program the "learning" buttons on the remote for your TV. If it will work your TV OK, it's the sensor; otherwise it's the remote.) But either way, I'd return it for a replacement.
post #3720 of 4185 Old 10-10-2014, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll try programming the remote. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page