Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Have you tried adjusting SAP?

Otherwise, here are a couple of possible things to look at:

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/3548

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5...thread-id/2312

As videobruce suggests you try, a good Canadian forum is digitalhome.ca -- http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=957855
dleedlee likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3692 of 3708 Old 09-26-2014, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plplplpl View Post
Have you tried adjusting SAP?

Otherwise, here are a couple of possible things to look at:

https://community.shaw.ca/thread/3548

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5...thread-id/2312

As videobruce suggests you try, a good Canadian forum is digitalhome.ca -- http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=957855
I have tried the iView menu and nothing helps. Thanks, I thought some Canadians would also be on this forum and of course Video Bruce you probably get CTV as well.

Thanks,

John
post #3693 of 3708 Old 09-26-2014, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I assume that if I take my new unit from Amazon (with CH3/CH4 switch) out of the box, connect the antenna and HDMI, plug it in, and the display reads "boot" and never changes, that its defective and needs to be returned immediately?
post #3694 of 3708 Old 09-27-2014, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 109
How About

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmicro View Post
I assume that if I take my new unit from Amazon (with CH3/CH4 switch) out of the box, connect the antenna and HDMI, plug it in, and the display reads "boot" and never changes, that its defective and needs to be returned immediately?
Sounds good except you need to connect a hard drive or thumb drive before you declare it dead.
post #3695 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My STB II does not respond to the remote control after the box has been in standby overnight. I have tried briefly unplugging but that didn't work. The control operates the TV on/off OK. I get the box going via the front panel. If I leave the box on (green light, etc.) overnight, the remote control works the next morning and keeps on working. I can even briefly go to standby and the control will work. I have not tired to determine how long the box has to be in standby before the remote quits working. This points to being a heat related problem. I have resorted to leaving the box always on and just turning the TV on or off as wanted. I am using a 1T Buffalo 2 1/2 drive which does not spin down due to inactivity. If nothing else I will probably switch to a WD drive that does.

I would like suggestions on fixing the problem (component(s) to replace if possible), and the wisdom of leaving the box on 24/7. I would also appreciate any other comments you have on this situation.

Thanks
post #3696 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 03:01 PM

I just got 2 STB II's and everythign is working great except I can't get any TV function except the power button to work on the iView remote. I would really like to get the volume and source buttons working, so that I don't have to use 2 remotes for one TV. Is there anyway of programming them except for the included instructions of pointing the remotes at each other?
post #3697 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuke068 View Post
I just got 2 STB II's and everythign is working great except I can't get any TV function except the power button to work on the iView remote. I would really like to get the volume and source buttons working, so that I don't have to use 2 remotes for one TV. Is there anyway of programming them except for the included instructions of pointing the remotes at each other?
Are you sure you're following the instructions, because there's really no way for it not to work unless something is physically broken. You have to program the buttons individually, according to the instructions. Did you only program the Power button?
post #3698 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Joining MTS files

Is there a way to merge/join the mts files that the iView generates once you move the files over to a pc/laptop?
post #3699 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 345
If you open a command prompt under Windows, you could probably use

Code:
copy /b part01.ts + part02.ts + part03.ts episode.ts
to merge them. You'd want to try playing the resulting file to make sure nothing weird happens at the merge points, of course.
post #3700 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntheaH View Post
Is there a way to merge/join the mts files that the iView generates once you move the files over to a pc/laptop?
Most video editors will do that. There are even several free programs. I'm not at my computer right now to verify the name but I have a small free program named something like MTS Converter that will do that.

But are you taking about a single program that is divided into multiple parts because you can avoid that in the first place by just formatting NTFS.

Also if you just care about playing it, you can play the first file in VLC and it will play the whole show if all the files are in the folder.
post #3701 of 3708 Old 09-28-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Are you sure you're following the instructions, because there's really no way for it not to work unless something is physically broken. You have to program the buttons individually, according to the instructions. Did you only program the Power button?
I only programmed the power button. I must have just read right over programming buttons individually. Many thanks, working great now.
post #3702 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmicro View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post
Sounds good except you need to connect a hard drive or thumb drive before you declare it dead.
Actually it should work even without a drive attached, although the PVR and media player functions obviously won't be available.
post #3703 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsmith View Post
My STB II does not respond to the remote control after the box has been in standby overnight. I have tried briefly unplugging but that didn't work. The control operates the TV on/off OK. I get the box going via the front panel. If I leave the box on (green light, etc.) overnight, the remote control works the next morning and keeps on working. I can even briefly go to standby and the control will work. I have not tired to determine how long the box has to be in standby before the remote quits working. This points to being a heat related problem. I have resorted to leaving the box always on and just turning the TV on or off as wanted. I am using a 1T Buffalo 2 1/2 drive which does not spin down due to inactivity. If nothing else I will probably switch to a WD drive that does.

I would like suggestions on fixing the problem (component(s) to replace if possible), and the wisdom of leaving the box on 24/7. I would also appreciate any other comments you have on this situation.

Thanks
Sounds like a sort of reversed heat problem: instead of overheating, it needs to "warm up" before the remote works.

Check the power supply voltages when the box is cold and the remote isn't working. Maybe one of the voltages is out of spec until it warms up a bit.

You can also buy a can of "cold gas" and spray various components with it to see if there's one that stops the remote from working when it's chilled down.

That said, I don't think it hurts to leave the box on 24/7, unless your HDD draws so much power it stresses the iView's power supply. Most 2.5" drives should be fine.
post #3704 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntheaH View Post
I use AVIDemux, which is free. Just open part 1, append part 2, etc., then save. (Make sure to change the output to the MPEG TS Muxer before saving; it defaults to .AVI format regardless of the file extension you use!) Afterwards, you can delete the .idx2 files it creates.

AVIDemux tends to crash if you try to move across the join points after appending files. Very annoying. So if you want to edit the file, save it first, then close, and finally reopen the file you just saved.
post #3705 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Sounds like a sort of reversed heat problem: instead of overheating, it needs to "warm up" before the remote works.
That could be consistent with a hairline crack somewhere in the circuitry.
post #3706 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 02:03 PM

Remote not waking up box.
Thanks for the advise. All are appreciated. I'll try to pin this problem down, as soon as I can get the box for awhile. We (wife uses a Homeworx HW-150) use these boxes all of the time recording OTA programs for each other.
post #3707 of 3708 Old 09-29-2014, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Symptoms also consistent with IR noise from the TV screen. Try relocating the box or, turning off "ambient" sensor on TV or covering IR window on box with painter's (masking) tape. To test, try turning box on and off before turning on the TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3708 of 3708 Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
The ability to record without freezing or skipping depends on the drive's write speed. SSDs are optimized for speed, so I'd expect them to work just fine (albeit rather expensive for DVR use).

Yes, many have reported that USB 3.0 drives also work without freezing or skipping. Presumably they're faster than USB 2.0 drives, or there would be no point in giving them 3.0 capability. But they're not necessarily as fast as SSDs, so you can't be sure until you try.

(Read speed is usually much faster, so the Homeworx can play back even HD video from just about any USB drive. It's just recording that you need to worry about.)

It also depends on the bit rate of the channel you're recording. Even USB 2.0 drives are often OK for recording most SD channels.

This isn't true everywhere, but in most markets the local CBS and Fox affiliates are the "acid tests" for a drive's ability to keep up. They usually have no or few SD subchannels, so all or most of the bandwidth is allocated to the main HD channel. If your drive works with those, it should work with anything.

BTW, I haven't tried .FLVs, but the iView and Homeworx both play .MP4s. Occasionally I've run into problems trying to play .MP4 in pillar-box mode: if the .MP4 was cropped, it can confuse the iView and make it play at an absurd aspect ratio. If this happens, you just have to play them in full-screen mode. The iView and Homeworx can also both play audio, such as music, and photo slide shows.
The iView showed up on Saturday. The box is smaller than I thought it would be. Amazing picture!

I tried pausing during the Packer / Bears game on Fox on Sunday using a PNY 3.0 Turbo 32GB thumb drive. Not the answer.

I ordered a WD portable hard drive from B&H - no tax and free shipping. I am going to borrow a SSD from work to try just for fun.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page