iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 127 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 63Likes

post #3781 of 4258 Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an Iview 3500STBII with 20131213aV13 firmware yesterday the time was off so I checked the menu and I could not find the Eastern time zone everything else but no Eastern. So I manually set the time to GMT-4. That works but what is going on. Anyone else have this problem.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 4258 Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Check your country setting. You may have it set to Mexico. If you set it to US or Canada, the Eastern time zone should be an available choice.

If that doesn't work try resetting to factory defaults. If all else fails reload the firmware.
post #3783 of 4258 Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Check your country setting. You may have it set to Mexico. If you set it to US or Canada, the Eastern time zone should be an available choice.

If that doesn't work try resetting to factory defaults. If all else fails reload the firmware.
That was it "Mexico". The box locks up sometimes and I have to unplug it to unlock it. Must have reset the country, I don't understand why Mexico would be the default. Oh well.

Thanks

John
post #3784 of 4258 Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Both the STBs I've had, have Mexico as the default out of the box.

Noticed on both too, some settings, will just toggle to default on their own. That likely happened on yours.

This current one they sent me, has already done this on audio. (Resetting to PCM)
post #3785 of 4258 Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
FIOS? I must have missed that. Yes, if you have FIOS your signal is probably OK. My suggestion was intended more for an antenna user. Of course, it's possible that Verizon is having reception problems with NBC, but not likely. Big companies like Verizon usually get a dedicated feed from the major stations.

Part of the problem is buggy firmware. The firmware goes too far when it detects any change in a channel's map and rebuilds it completely. Other tuners usually attempt to add new stations, remove deleted ones, or update subchannel labels without rebuilding everything from scratch. They're also more tolerant of glitches, which are bound to happen from time to time.

I know you're on V3 firmware now. I forgot which firmware version you started with, but there should be yet another version you could try, just to see if it helps. If that doesn't work either, I'd consider exchanging the box.
As a follow-up in case anyone else has a problem: I received a response from support with a V1 of the firmware. I loaded it up and reset all the defaults. I then did a new channel scan and this time it must have found EVERY FIOS station available because there was a couple hundred, almost all of which are encrypted and show no picture or sound. It was a huge headache to fish through all of them since they didn't have the nice mappings like 2-1, 4-1, 7-1 of the old firmware (the channels are all XXX-XXXXXX in format). I eventually found CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, My9, PIX and I even found the Weather Channel and some ION stations the previous firmware didn't pick up. The one downside is I don't seem to be getting any EPG data coming through.

I spent about 3 hours removing the blacked out channels and renaming the ones that did come in as well as adding the commonly used ones to my favorites. I then set up some test recordings that are set to run daily and record 5 minutes from several different stations and different times.

The past two days have seen all the recordings complete successfully, including automatically powering on and off the box. The re-schedules have occurred without corruption as well.

All in all V1 was a ton of work to set up but seems to be working. I don't have EPG but that's a compromise I'm willing to make at this point, especially since it used to update in the middle of watching a show and cause the picture and audio to cut out momentarily when it did.
post #3786 of 4258 Old 10-30-2014, 06:27 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Toshiba Transmemory USB 2.0 flash drive

I am considering another Iview this time I want to use a USB 2.0 32GB flash drive. There are a bewildering number of drives available, I believe the Iview needs a medium speed drive and the Toshiba Transmemory USB 2.0 gets good reviews and is inexpensive, has anyone tried this combination?
Thanks, Trevor.
post #3787 of 4258 Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I don't know where you got the idea it needs a medium speed flash drive. If you're going to use a flash drive at all, it should be as high speed as possible.
post #3788 of 4258 Old 10-31-2014, 06:10 AM

Flash drive speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I don't know where you got the idea it needs a medium speed flash drive. If you're going to use a flash drive at all, it should be as high speed as possible.
From what I have seen online this is how I would classify drive write speeds:
Slow: <5MB/s (USB 2.0) some are low as 0.5MB/s.
Medium: 10MB/s (2.0)
Fast: >20MB/s (typically 3.0) some are as high as 50MB/s.

The Toshiba Transmemory 2.0 write speed is 11MB/s. The Toshiba 3.0s seem to have reliability problems.

I am just trying to make sense of the crazy world of flash drives just like I did with 2.5" HDDs previously!!!
post #3789 of 4258 Old 10-31-2014, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The raw data rate of a digital OTA channel is 19.39 Mb/s. Cable channel data rates are even higher. Of course one channel often includes several subchannels, but a single HD subchannel will typically be well over 10 Mb/s.

Add to that raw data rate the overhead of keeping the file system updated as a file is written, and you can see you will generally need a pretty fast drive with a DVR such as the iView.

(BTW, that's why you rarely see two HD subchannels on one OTA channel. If you reduce the data rate enough to make that work, the picture quality suffers noticeably.)
post #3790 of 4258 Old 10-31-2014, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked: 815
Don't confuse Megabits and Megabytes. OTA is ~20 Megabits per second, whereas USB 2.0 has ~20 Megabytes per second of throughput, which is enough to record multiple shows at once, which the iView can't do. The problem is that cheap flash drives don't come anywhere near the maximum USB 2.0 throughput, which one of many reasons why it's a bad idea to use a flash drive.
post #3791 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 07:51 AM

Black high speed flash drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Don't confuse Megabits and Megabytes. OTA is ~20 Megabits per second, whereas USB 2.0 has ~20 Megabytes per second of throughput, which is enough to record multiple shows at once, which the iView can't do. The problem is that cheap flash drives don't come anywhere near the maximum USB 2.0 throughput, which one of many reasons why it's a bad idea to use a flash drive.
Thanks for clarifying the difference between bits (b) and bytes (B). There are 8 bits to a byte. With flash drives there are differences between read (much faster) and write speeds and block (faster) or random read/writes too. For recording I assume block writes are used and read rates are usually so much higher it does not matter. The number I quoted above are block write speeds. I believe the Toshiba Transmemory flash drive will work well with the Iview, the only problem is only comes in white translucent plastic (with flashing LED) that will stick out like a sore thumb in a darkened room. I have not been able to find any dark or black fast flash drives, perhaps I'll use this on my second TV and move my present Iview with HDD to the main TV?
post #3792 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 08:02 AM

A couple of questions?

1. I was hoping the Iview new remote's >>| (or |<<) keys would allow a fast advance thru commercials (or go back)? But the keys do not appear to do anything. With my Magnavox the key can be set to advance a number of seconds, I find 30 seconds works well.
2. Is there any way to get fixed (maximum or original) volume level over HDMI? At the moment the Iview powers up with the volume set at a medium and I have to adjust it to maximum. I would prefer it powered up at maximum fixed level.
Thanks, Trevor.
P.S. I have the Iview with the Ch.3/4 switch.
post #3793 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Right. But I don't think he was talking about the USB 2.0 interface speed. I thought he was talking about the actual write speed of various flash drives, which is much slower.

In theory you could put a fast enough flash drive in a USB 2.0 enclosure, but these are usually much newer models and go with USB 3.0 to maximize read speed (which is generally much faster than write speed).
post #3794 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
1. I was hoping the Iview new remote's >>| (or |<<) keys would allow a fast advance thru commercials (or go back)? But the keys do not appear to do anything. With my Magnavox the key can be set to advance a number of seconds, I find 30 seconds works well.
2. Is there any way to get fixed (maximum or original) volume level over HDMI? At the moment the Iview powers up with the volume set at a medium and I have to adjust it to maximum. I would prefer it powered up at maximum fixed level.
Thanks, Trevor.
P.S. I have the Iview with the Ch.3/4 switch.
To address your second question first, go to Menu / Option / Digital Audio and try the "RAW HDMI On" setting. That should be a straight pass-through of the audio; however:
  1. It may not work with some older TVs even though they have HDMI, since the TV needs to decode the audio itself. I have one like this.
  2. It doesn't work on the PVR option, where you play back your recordings. This is a firmware issue the developer has never addressed. But you can get around it by using a PC to rename the extension of your recordings from .mts to .ts, then playing them as "Movies" instead. (This trick also lets you play your recordings in Dolby Digital 5.1 if you have that setup.)

On your first question, those keys are programmed to go to the next or previous file. If you only have one recording they won't do anything.

I agree they should be programmed for skip forward/back as in other DVRs. So does videobruce (see the first 5 posts of this thread). This is another issue the firmware developer has never addressed. You just have to use the fast forward and rewind keys instead, which takes some practice.
post #3795 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I thought he was talking about the actual write speed of various flash drives, which is much slower.
Perhaps, but then where did he get those numbers? There is no standard rating system for flash drive speeds, which is why they are so troublesome. You have no idea beforehand whether a particular drive will be fast enough. SD cards, on the other hand, do have a standard speed rating system, which makes it easier to see if they will be fast enough to work.

It really doesn't matter, though, as a USB HDD is well under $100 for far more storage space, so buying a flash drive for a DVR is a waste of money regardless of how fast it is.
post #3796 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I wonder if the firmware could be de/recompiled to add some skip functions?
I've been using the goto right arrow to advance a given number of minutes.
Because of no skip I use the I view mainly for pbs (13 in Dallas). This channel has been the most problematic to schedule ota. When it does take the program successfully it continues to work subsequently. When it doesn't take, even though I check it before the record time for accuracy, it leaves a program entry with a nonsense channel number. Not 13 but 144???.

sent by mirrorflash Morse code
post #3797 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Rhetorical question I guess, but why is everyone willing to put up with no skip functions, virtually no guide data, no recording titles, etc. just to have a $40 DVR when for just $10 more (average price of HD Homerun Dual on ebay) you could have all those features and more in a PC based DVR?

There is no way you can disassemble the firmware code and add functions. It would take years to figure out. You could buy many Tivo's with lifetime service for that amount of time and effort. What you could do is program a universal remote to do short ffwd/rew sequences to emulate skips. That should be fairly easy and essentially free.
post #3798 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 04:16 PM

Originally, I bought the unit for my parents to use in their independent living facility as they have redistributed clear qam from twc. I have a number of older units that don't record HD but do have skip as well as a tuner card on my htpc. I don't mind programming without a guide for recurrent shows but skip would be nice. Let's see, on a remote it would be, ff 5 times- wait for x seconds then play?

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk
post #3799 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat55555 View Post
I wonder if the firmware could be de/recompiled to add some skip functions?
I've been using the goto right arrow to advance a given number of minutes.
Because of no skip I use the I view mainly for pbs (13 in Dallas). This channel has been the most problematic to schedule ota. When it does take the program successfully it continues to work subsequently. When it doesn't take, even though I check it before the record time for accuracy, it leaves a program entry with a nonsense channel number. Not 13 but 144???.

I actually hacked around with an iView firmware file. The majority of the file is compressed using a little-known compression method. I don't remember its name right off, but I have it at work. Anyhow, I was able to extract the compressed portion of the file and found a decompression program that worked. I was then able to see many of the literal words and phrases in the iView menus.

I suppose it'd be possible to make some simple changes, recompress the file, and incorporate the modified file back into the firmware update file. But I assume there's a checksum of some sort to ensure someone doesn't install a corrupt file and brick their iView. That checksum would have to be located and recalculated for the modified file.

It sounds like it's well above my minimal hacking skills, but I'm sure there's someone out there who could manage it. If so, the firmware link is in post #5 on this thread, so if anyone's up to the challenge, have at it.
post #3800 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Rhetorical question I guess, but why is everyone willing to put up with no skip functions, virtually no guide data, no recording titles, etc. just to have a $40 DVR when for just $10 more (average price of HD Homerun Dual on ebay) you could have all those features and more in a PC based DVR?
I actually use an HTPC myself. (In fact, I'm using it to post this response.) To be fair, it did cost a bit more than just a tuner - and there's quite a bit more maintenance involved. It actually ended up being not just a DVR, but a hobby! A rewarding one, though

Quote:
There is no way you can disassemble the firmware code and add functions. It would take years to figure out. You could buy many Tivo's with lifetime service for that amount of time and effort.
All true, but some folks consider such a challenge fun! It's like a crossword puzzle - and as I've discovered, at least there's no apparent super-heavy encryption used in the iView's firmware update files. It may be beyond my abilities, but not everyone's, I'd bet.

Quote:
What you could do is program a universal remote to do short ffwd/rew sequences to emulate skips. That should be fairly easy and essentially free.
Now that's a good idea! Especially if the universal remote can be programmed with precise delays. Just FF five times to get to 32x, delay 1 second, then Play. Should be about a 30 second skip. Can the Logitech Harmony remotes do that?
post #3801 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Perhaps, but then where did he get those numbers? There is no standard rating system for flash drive speeds, which is why they are so troublesome. You have no idea beforehand whether a particular drive will be fast enough. SD cards, on the other hand, do have a standard speed rating system, which makes it easier to see if they will be fast enough to work.

It really doesn't matter, though, as a USB HDD is well under $100 for far more storage space, so buying a flash drive for a DVR is a waste of money regardless of how fast it is.
I made the assumption that he knew what he was talking about. I figured he got those number from manufacturers' spec sheets, since they seemed like reasonable (assuming megabits/sec, not megabytes) average flash drive write speeds. But maybe not.

Anyway, I generally agree: USB-powered HDDs have good capacity and are both cheap ($50-$80 typically) and small enough to fit in many pockets. But flash drives are smaller still - perhaps the OP has a need for as tiny a drive as possible. I don't know.

Of course, he could simply record onto an HDD, then transfer the recordings to a flash drive later with his PC. They would probably play back just fine straight from the flash drive, since read speeds are usually plenty fast. Transferring recordings could take a while if the flash drive is slow, but it would work regardless of the flash drive's write speed.
post #3802 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 08:25 PM

If the device were available at say, Walmart, a hacker would keep returning bricked units until an image took. I'll have to reinstall the Logitech programming software and try the skip program. Maxed on devices, have to delete one.

post #3803 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

You're assuming a dishonest hacker, which unfortunately is the way that word is generally used today.

There was a time (not that long ago) when the word hacker didn't have the connotation of dishonesty. That's how I intended it.
post #3804 of 4258 Old 11-01-2014, 10:02 PM

Yes, a better alternative would be to deal with a company that supported an open-source policy that encouraged independent development, but no one wants to be that popular and good looking.

Sent from my Le Pan TC1020 using Tapatalk
JHBrandt likes this.
post #3805 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 06:07 AM

Quote:
I made the assumption that he knew what he was talking about. I figured he got those number from manufacturers' spec sheets, since they seemed like reasonable (assuming megabits/sec, not megabytes) average flash drive write speeds. But maybe not.

Anyway, I generally agree: USB-powered HDDs have good capacity and are both cheap ($50-$80 typically) and small enough to fit in many pockets. But flash drives are smaller still - perhaps the OP has a need for as tiny a drive as possible. I don't know.

Of course, he could simply record onto an HDD, then transfer the recordings to a flash drive later with his PC. They would probably play back just fine straight from the flash drive, since read speeds are usually plenty fast. Transferring recordings could take a while if the flash drive is slow, but it would work regardless of the flash drive's write speed.
I made up the categories based on comparative reviews online, I am just trying to make sense of flash drive speeds. An Iview with a 32GB flash drive is a compact and inexpensive solution for a second TV system with 4-5 hours recording capability. My main system has an Iview with 500GB HDD in a Sabrent case and Anker USB power supply. The flash drive costs $16, the HDD+ $68. I do not intend transferring recordings as the Iview's USB connector is best left untouched.

I realize that flash drives get a bad rap at this forum because it is not easy to discern whether a drive will work or not but with some research I believe we can suggest some suitable drives, I must like the challenge!!!!
post #3806 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 06:15 AM

Quote:
To address your second question first, go to Menu / Option / Digital Audio and try the "RAW HDMI On" setting. That should be a straight pass-through of the audio; however:
  1. It may not work with some older TVs even though they have HDMI, since the TV needs to decode the audio itself. I have one like this.
  2. It doesn't work on the PVR option, where you play back your recordings. This is a firmware issue the developer has never addressed. But you can get around it by using a PC to rename the extension of your recordings from .mts to .ts, then playing them as "Movies" instead. (This trick also lets you play your recordings in Dolby Digital 5.1 if you have that setup.)

On your first question, those keys are programmed to go to the next or previous file. If you only have one recording they won't do anything.

I agree they should be programmed for skip forward/back as in other DVRs. So does videobruce (see the first 5 posts of this thread). This is another issue the firmware developer has never addressed. You just have to use the fast forward and rewind keys instead, which takes some practice.
1. OK, I have been using the >> key to advance thru commercials, it works pretty good, it just takes a little getting used to, no biggie.

2. I tried RAW HDMI on and my second TV (older Samsung plasma) and it did not decode the audio. I will try it on my main TV when an HDMI switch arrives from Amazon.

It will be interesting to see if the Iview works with a simple HDMI 3:1 automatic switch.

Last edited by Trevor_Bartram; 11-02-2014 at 06:18 AM.
post #3807 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 06:31 AM
QAM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just to make things clear to everyone, I assume the last writer ONLY records SD (480p) programs/channels, so ANY generic USB thumb drive will do. (a one hour recording of a 480p program will take up approx. 800MB). IF however, he intends to record HD (1080i) programs/channels, then the USB thumb drive (formatted as NTFS) will drop frames like crazy. (a one hour recording of a 1080i program will take up approx. 8GB). Just saying...

HDD is the way to go to cover all possible recording situations, and have a perfect picture. Carry on.....

Last edited by QAM; 11-02-2014 at 07:06 AM.
post #3808 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Just to make things clear to everyone, I assume the last writer ONLY records SD (480p) programs/channels, so ANY generic USB thumb drive will do. (a one hour recording of a 480p program will take up approx. 800K bytes). IF however, he intends to record HD (1080i) programs/channels, then the USB thumb drive (formatted as NTFS) will drop frames like crazy. (a one hour recording of a 1080i program will take up approx. 8MB). Just saying...

HDD is the way to go to cover all possible recording situations, and have a perfect picture. Carry on.....
If by the last writer you are referring to me you are wrong. I want to record OTA HD and I believe if you use a medium or fast flash drive you will be able to record 4 hours of content on a 32GB drive. A generic USB 2.0 flash drive will probably pixelate as you suggest but I am not suggesting the use of a generic drive. HDDs are great when you want to store lots of content.

To guarantee speed if you go with a USB 3.0 drive I am noticing several (Toshiba and PNY) have reliability problems so it may be better to go a Sandisk Cruzer Extreme at twice the price. The best choice in inexpensive drives still seems to be Toshiba Transmemory 2.0. The only thing that's holding me back is it's not available in black.
post #3809 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

I have never seen a 480p OTA channel, only 480i.

@ Trevor

If you're determined to use flash memory, use a 32GB SDHC card with a USB to SD adapter.
post #3810 of 4258 Old 11-02-2014, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
Just to make things clear to everyone, I assume the last writer ONLY records SD (480p) programs/channels, so ANY generic USB thumb drive will do. (a one hour recording of a 480p program will take up approx. 800MB). IF however, he intends to record HD (1080i) programs/channels, then the USB thumb drive (formatted as NTFS) will drop frames like crazy. (a one hour recording of a 1080i program will take up approx. 8GB). Just saying...

As Aleron Ives pointed out, I assume you mean 480i. The ATSC standard theoretically allows 480p programming (a la DVDs) but I've never heard of a subchannel that used it.

But even 480i bitrates can vary considerably. I've seen it range from 800MB/hr all the way up to HD rates (in the case of a station with only a single SD channel).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders