Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #3781 of 3791 Old 10-18-2014, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 173
I'm not sure about this, but I believe the new STBII's with the channel 3/4 switch only loop RF through when off. When these iViews are on, the RF modulator is always on too, since there's no firmware setting to control it any more.

A splitter is a quick, easy, and cheap fix. But if you really want loop-through when on, you could return or sell it and either:
  • try to buy an older iView w/o the channel 3/4 switch (e.g., on eBay)
  • buy a clone (e.g., Homeworx) that hasn't added the channel 3/4 switch.

Last edited by JHBrandt; 10-19-2014 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Fix typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3782 of 3791 Old 10-18-2014, 09:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I'm not sure about this, but I believe the new STBII's with the channel 3/4 switch only loop RF through when off. When these iViews are on, the RF modulator is always on too, since there's no firmware setting to control it any more.

A splitter is quick, easy, and cheap fix. But if you really want loop-through when on, you could return or sell it and either:
  • try to buy an older iView w/o the channel 3/4 switch (e.g., on eBay)
  • buy a clone (e.g., Homeworx) that hasn't added the channel 3/4 switch.
Ok Thank, will make some test about this
post #3783 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is there anything about the newer version, with the 3/4 switch, that makes it better?

Just wondering, since it seems it is a step back. Unless I'm missing something?
post #3784 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
Is there anything about the newer version, with the 3/4 switch, that makes it better?

Just wondering, since it seems it is a step back. Unless I'm missing something?
Only the included remote is better.
post #3785 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought both the "old" STBII (w/o the channel 3/4 switch) and the "new" one (with the switch) came with the newer remote. The original iView (STB, w/o the II) came with a different remote (although STB owners can buy the new remote separately and load a firmware update for it).

But IIRC the "new" STBII powers down the USB port in standby. The original STB did this too, but the "old" STBII did not. That would be an advantage for the new STBIIs, if you don't like running a USB-attached HDD 24/7: it would reduce heat produced by the iView's power supply, hopefully extending its life.
post #3786 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought a STB3500II with the 3/4 switch and was able to tune to my local FIOS stations. I tried some sample recording with a 1TB USB hard drive and the recordings came out great except when they are scheduled.

I found that if the box is on when the scheduled record time arrives, it does not record. So in my case if I am out and I have 2 scheduled recordings in the time I'm away, it records the first one (powers on the box and records it) but not the second one (since it doesn't power down after the first recording and won't record if it's already on). Is my box defective?

I would also love the ability for the box to automatically shut down after a scheduled recording so it's not on all day/night in some cases.

Appreciate any help!
post #3787 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsarnak View Post
I just bought a STB3500II with the 3/4 switch and was able to tune to my local FIOS stations. I tried some sample recording with a 1TB USB hard drive and the recordings came out great except when they are scheduled.

I found that if the box is on when the scheduled record time arrives, it does not record. So in my case if I am out and I have 2 scheduled recordings in the time I'm away, it records the first one (powers on the box and records it) but not the second one (since it doesn't power down after the first recording and won't record if it's already on). Is my box defective?

I would also love the ability for the box to automatically shut down after a scheduled recording so it's not on all day/night in some cases.

Appreciate any help!
If the box was off before recording, it should power down after recording, unless the recordings are back to back, in which case it would power down after the last recording. I never had the 3/4 switch box so I don't know if there is a problem like that in one of the software versions. You could try the other FW versions (email iview or see if the recent link posted here is still active) and see if it makes a difference - although you may not get all your cable stations on all versions and may not have a choice about which to use because of that.

Is the box frozen or still say it's recording even though it isn't when you get back to it in the above circumstance? If so, then that's a bug that happens sometimes. Have you only tried this once or does it happen all the time any time you try it? Is there time between the recordings or are they back to back? Are you sure it didn't shut off in between? If you weren't there to observe it, it could have shut off after the first recording and then turned back on for the second recording but not have been able to record. Does it happen regardless of which stations you are recording - both the first and second stations? Did you check the time is accurate on each station? Does your hard drive power down when not in use? See if it powers up properly in time when scheduling multiple recordings. Test these out to narrow down the problem.

Depending on the answers to the above, it could be a bug. It could also be because the iview isn't getting proper time data. It could also be because of some irregularity in the PSIP data that makes the iview have difficulty locking in on a station. It could be a hardware problem as well, although with this box, that is the least likely of the options because of all the software related issues that can cause recording problems.

Edit: Also check to see if it records the first scheduled recording if you leave the box on. It's not clear from what you said if you are assuming this doesn't work because the second recording doesn't happen or if you have already tried recording with the box on and it never works. Recording should absolutely work with the box on, assuming you are not encountering any of the above problems.

Last edited by jprc; 10-21-2014 at 01:12 PM.
post #3788 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
I thought both the "old" STBII (w/o the channel 3/4 switch) and the "new" one (with the switch) came with the newer remote. The original iView (STB, w/o the II) came with a different remote (although STB owners can buy the new remote separately and load a firmware update for it).

But IIRC the "new" STBII powers down the USB port in standby. The original STB did this too, but the "old" STBII did not. That would be an advantage for the new STBIIs, if you don't like running a USB-attached HDD 24/7: it would reduce heat produced by the iView's power supply, hopefully extending its life.
Thanks! That is good info.

That is not very energy efficient either. Too bad they didn't offer a menu option to have it shut off in standby.

They are sending me the pre 3/4 switch STBII as replacement. So, I'll have to live with that.
post #3789 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Is the box frozen or still say it's recording even though it isn't when you get back to it in the above circumstance? If so, then that's a bug that happens sometimes.
I had that happen to me twice Sunday. It was somewhat surprising since I'd gone through several weeks with no issues. I've had it happen once before, I think due to a glitch in the station's data stream. But this time it happened on two different stations that had always worked reliably before.

Then today, I had a recording fail to start. Turns out the box thought my HDD wasn't connected. When I wiggled my USB cable, it connected and started working.

A known issue with these boxes is that the USB connector can wear out over time, causing intermittent problems like this. I use a short USB extension cable to reduce wear and tear on the box's connector. But an extension cable's connector can wear out too, if you disconnect and reconnect the drive frequently, as I do. So I replaced the USB extension cable; hopefully over the next week or two I'll be able to tell if it helped.
post #3790 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 421 Post(s)
Liked: 382
Quote:

Yes, both STBII's have the new remote. But any cheap universal beats both the STB and STBII remotes IMO.

Thanks for the USB port info.

In any case, the 3/4 switch seems quite useless, and the dropped features like pass thru make it an undesirable model.
post #3791 of 3791 Old 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow View Post
Thanks! That is good info.

That is not very energy efficient either. Too bad they didn't offer a menu option to have it shut off in standby.

They are sending me the pre 3/4 switch STBII as replacement. So, I'll have to live with that.
You're right; it's not very energy efficient, although with most USB-powered drives, the extra power used is only a watt or two. It's still a lot more energy efficient than many DVRs (like my DTVPal, which draws over 20 watts 24/7).

There's a long-running debate on whether it's bad or good for the drive. On one hand, bearings don't last forever; OTOH, starting and stopping the drive may put more strain on it than letting it run 24/7. But modern HDDs seem reliable enough that it probably doesn't make much difference either way; hence, the debate continues unresolved.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page