35Likes

post #3811 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 12:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
I haven't seen it myself but others have reported this. It hasn't been narrowed down but may be due to receiving corrupted channel map data from the station.

Have you seen any reception issues on that channel, such as the audio dropping out or the video pixellating/freezing? If so that could corrupt the channel map too.
No, the stations come in just fine and I've never had a problem with reception. In fact, I had the FIOS guy test the signal at each outlet so I'd know if my tuner was going to be a problem or not and each outlet was very strong. But I appreciate your response. I just wish I knew if this was a bad unit, buggy firmware or something specific to FIOS.

Last edited by jtsarnak; 10-27-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3812 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I found it best to leave the IVIEW always ON. Early on I used the rearrange feature to move the usual channels I view to the top of the list. On occasions when the unit rebooted or I turned it off, that arrangement was lost. Corrupted Scheduled Recordings resulted. Eventually I deleted the channels and sub-channels I didn't need until the desired channels were at the top.

Now I just leave it ON, and nothing gets goofed up on occasions when it reboots. I've had essentially perfect recordings, except when due to user error.
post #3813 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsarnak View Post
No, the stations come in just fine and I've never had a problem with reception. In fact, I had the FIOS guy test the signal at each outlet so I'd know if my tuner was going to be a problem or not and each outlet was very strong. But I appreciate your response. I just wish I knew if this was a bad unit, buggy firmware or something specific to FIOS.
FIOS? I must have missed that. Yes, if you have FIOS your signal is probably OK. My suggestion was intended more for an antenna user. Of course, it's possible that Verizon is having reception problems with NBC, but not likely. Big companies like Verizon usually get a dedicated feed from the major stations.

Part of the problem is buggy firmware. The firmware goes too far when it detects any change in a channel's map and rebuilds it completely. Other tuners usually attempt to add new stations, remove deleted ones, or update subchannel labels without rebuilding everything from scratch. They're also more tolerant of glitches, which are bound to happen from time to time.

I know you're on V3 firmware now. I forgot which firmware version you started with, but there should be yet another version you could try, just to see if it helps. If that doesn't work either, I'd consider exchanging the box.
post #3814 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
The hardware is the hardware. It's not like a software update where you can uninstall it or go back to an older version. The only way to get an iView without the 3/4 switch and the hardware that goes with it is to buy an old model on eBay (using an auction with pictures of the actual item you will receive, so you can verify that you are getting the correct model).
Don't think you understanding what i mean. I'm not talking about removing the 3/4 channel switch.

I mean i would like to remove the firmware software upgrade i was given and installed for the Iview350stbii with the 3/4 switch in the back.

Thats what i mean lol
post #3815 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Firmware is not compatible between the old and new iViews. If you flash with firmware intended for the version without the 3/4 switch, you will brick your iView. I'll let someone with more experience tell you which, if any, firmware versions are safe to use, assuming any of them are worth using.
post #3816 of 3825 Old 10-27-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Just to clarify, you can't remove or undo a firmware update. You can only load a different one. I think there are 3 or 4 different versions for your model. Which version would you like to load?
post #3817 of 3825 Old 10-28-2014, 05:40 AM

I have an Iview 3500STBII with 20131213aV13 firmware yesterday the time was off so I checked the menu and I could not find the Eastern time zone everything else but no Eastern. So I manually set the time to GMT-4. That works but what is going on. Anyone else have this problem.

John
post #3818 of 3825 Old 10-28-2014, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Check your country setting. You may have it set to Mexico. If you set it to US or Canada, the Eastern time zone should be an available choice.

If that doesn't work try resetting to factory defaults. If all else fails reload the firmware.
post #3819 of 3825 Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Check your country setting. You may have it set to Mexico. If you set it to US or Canada, the Eastern time zone should be an available choice.

If that doesn't work try resetting to factory defaults. If all else fails reload the firmware.
That was it "Mexico". The box locks up sometimes and I have to unplug it to unlock it. Must have reset the country, I don't understand why Mexico would be the default. Oh well.

Thanks

John
post #3820 of 3825 Old 10-29-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Both the STBs I've had, have Mexico as the default out of the box.

Noticed on both too, some settings, will just toggle to default on their own. That likely happened on yours.

This current one they sent me, has already done this on audio. (Resetting to PCM)
post #3821 of 3825 Old 10-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
FIOS? I must have missed that. Yes, if you have FIOS your signal is probably OK. My suggestion was intended more for an antenna user. Of course, it's possible that Verizon is having reception problems with NBC, but not likely. Big companies like Verizon usually get a dedicated feed from the major stations.

Part of the problem is buggy firmware. The firmware goes too far when it detects any change in a channel's map and rebuilds it completely. Other tuners usually attempt to add new stations, remove deleted ones, or update subchannel labels without rebuilding everything from scratch. They're also more tolerant of glitches, which are bound to happen from time to time.

I know you're on V3 firmware now. I forgot which firmware version you started with, but there should be yet another version you could try, just to see if it helps. If that doesn't work either, I'd consider exchanging the box.
As a follow-up in case anyone else has a problem: I received a response from support with a V1 of the firmware. I loaded it up and reset all the defaults. I then did a new channel scan and this time it must have found EVERY FIOS station available because there was a couple hundred, almost all of which are encrypted and show no picture or sound. It was a huge headache to fish through all of them since they didn't have the nice mappings like 2-1, 4-1, 7-1 of the old firmware (the channels are all XXX-XXXXXX in format). I eventually found CBS, NBC, FOX, ABC, My9, PIX and I even found the Weather Channel and some ION stations the previous firmware didn't pick up. The one downside is I don't seem to be getting any EPG data coming through.

I spent about 3 hours removing the blacked out channels and renaming the ones that did come in as well as adding the commonly used ones to my favorites. I then set up some test recordings that are set to run daily and record 5 minutes from several different stations and different times.

The past two days have seen all the recordings complete successfully, including automatically powering on and off the box. The re-schedules have occurred without corruption as well.

All in all V1 was a ton of work to set up but seems to be working. I don't have EPG but that's a compromise I'm willing to make at this point, especially since it used to update in the middle of watching a show and cause the picture and audio to cut out momentarily when it did.
post #3822 of 3825 Old Yesterday, 06:27 PM

Toshiba Transmemory USB 2.0 flash drive

I am considering another Iview this time I want to use a USB 2.0 32GB flash drive. There are a bewildering number of drives available, I believe the Iview needs a medium speed drive and the Toshiba Transmemory USB 2.0 gets good reviews and is inexpensive, has anyone tried this combination?
Thanks, Trevor.
post #3823 of 3825 Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I don't know where you got the idea it needs a medium speed flash drive. If you're going to use a flash drive at all, it should be as high speed as possible.
post #3824 of 3825 Old Today, 06:10 AM

Flash drive speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
I don't know where you got the idea it needs a medium speed flash drive. If you're going to use a flash drive at all, it should be as high speed as possible.
From what I have seen online this is how I would classify drive write speeds:
Slow: <5MB/s (USB 2.0) some are low as 0.5MB/s.
Medium: 10MB/s (2.0)
Fast: >20MB/s (typically 3.0) some are as high as 50MB/s.

The Toshiba Transmemory 2.0 write speed is 11MB/s. The Toshiba 3.0s seem to have reliability problems.

I am just trying to make sense of the crazy world of flash drives just like I did with 2.5" HDDs previously!!!
post #3825 of 3825 Old Today, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

The raw data rate of a digital OTA channel is 19.39 Mb/s. Cable channel data rates are even higher. Of course one channel often includes several subchannels, but a single HD subchannel will typically be well over 10 Mb/s.

Add to that raw data rate the overhead of keeping the file system updated as a file is written, and you can see you will generally need a pretty fast drive with a DVR such as the iView.

(BTW, that's why you rarely see two HD subchannels on one OTA channel. If you reduce the data rate enough to make that work, the picture quality suffers noticeably.)
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page