Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Never mind. Found my answer. Comcast is encrypting even limited basic cable:
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/cable-tv/limited-basic-encryption/

That certainly proves that basic cable encryption is more than an urban myth. wink.gif Comcast represents about 22% of all MVPD customers. TWC represents another 11%. Alternative Distribution Services represent another 42%+ of the market, so clear QAM is becoming less and less relevant.

It's 2014 and you're still paying for television?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Updates to posts #3 & 5

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #363 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you for your answer. It will be powered off the USB bus.
post #364 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
One possible metric would be the percentage of the transport stream that must be fixed with ECC. A signal strength of 100% could potentially be used to indicate that 0% of the stream needed reconstructing.
Quote:
I was kinda under the impression it had to do with BER which is kinda what you described. It's another misleading way of measuring signal condition, which would be a better term that "strength".

Every one of these mystery indicators no matter what the device is gives inconsistent results. Weak signals can have a high number just like locals.

I've yet to find two different tuners that appeared to measure the same signal value. I thought at one time that the RCA DTA800B1 measured actual signal strength until I split the signal 4 ways and got the same value. wink.gif The DTA800B1 is good for pointing antennas, since it is very responsive and has a large range of measurement, but it also can give a high value despite multipath issues. If the signal value fluctuates a lot, it generally means you have multipath.

post #365 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Randolph, NJ, 725' above sea level, 30 miles west of ESB
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 109
I just hooked up an external drive and thought I would try a timer recording.

From reading through about 30 posts all I could get was the EPG doesn't work for doing a timer recording as instructed in the manual that came with this DVR.

So.....if you can't record using the EPG, then how does one schedule a recording?
post #366 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreichen1968 View Post

I'd recommend checking out TVfool to see what stations are in your area, where the towers are relative to your location, and the predicted signal strengths. You can also use rabbitears to find out what channels are offered by those stations.

Thanks for the links. According to TVFool, an attic antennae would serve me well. I think I smell a DIY project this weekend.

[Edit] The old set-top rabbit ears and the 3500stb picked up more channels than TVFool estimates for that set-up. That said, without the rabbit ears, the 3500stb wasn't finding anything. So the prospect of an attic antenna has my curiosity piqued.
post #367 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenL View Post

From reading through about 30 posts all I could get was the EPG doesn't work for doing a timer recording as instructed in the manual that came with this DVR.

So.....if you can't record using the EPG, then how does one schedule a recording?

With the stock firmware you have to enter the timers manually. You go into the EPG, and it will let you "Book" a timer. Then you have to program the details (channel, time on, time off, view/record) manually. Make sure to change the event from view to record, or it won't record. Record is the default in the unreleased beta firmwares. With the beta firmwares it does let you "book" an event directly from the EPG, but you also have the option of adding timers manually.

post #368 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:

This is the way I do it.

Go into the EPG, press OK (Book), press #1 (Add) and then schedule your recording. Remember to change the Mode from View to Record if you are using the stock firmware.
post #369 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

Push the HOLD button on the remote and it should bring up a grid to enter start and stop times. If you PM videobruce he'd probably send you a copy of the latest firmware which allows one to program from the EPG.
post #370 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 01:24 PM

Liked: 12
One other thing did the firmware set it to turn off all lights when off. I just noticed the power light now is off even if on love that.
post #371 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by troydog View Post

One other thing did the firmware set it to turn off all lights when off. I just noticed the power light now is off even if on love that.
With the newest firmware that I just loaded the LED is now GREEN when on and RED when OFF(before that it was green when off) correct IMO, that or no LED when on would be OK also.
post #372 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM

Edit version 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

With the newest firmware that I just loaded the LED is now GREEN when on and RED when OFF(before that it was green when off) correct IMO, that or no LED when on would be OK also.

Ok looking at front of box off no lights at all. When on the only light on green is lock what ever lock means. lol Tv is off but this would be the most recent firmware.

Edit to add version 6
post #373 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine also shows V6 (CL630133 130531 V6 to be precise) and I have a green LED when ON and red when off.....
post #374 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 02:37 PM

Oh I fig out what happen. When I took the display out to add film over it I must have not got them 2 leds in the right spot. No got red and green aging. Also found out what locks means. It is to let you know there is a a antenna hooked to it..
post #375 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
For Comcast/QAM users, to be clear, Comcast scrambles basic CABLE, but AFAIK NOT over-the-air channels. That said, not all tuners can make sense of the weirdness they do to the channels.

My Mits HDTV can find all OTA channels SD and HD (plus WGN) in the clear from Comcast's QAM, but my Philips (Magnavox/Funai) DVR doesn't see a thing (except some of the SD down conversions. The channels aren't SCRAMBLED, but the quality of the tuner matters.

--
(this space for rent)
post #376 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

For Comcast/QAM users, to be clear, Comcast scrambles basic CABLE, but AFAIK NOT over-the-air channels. That said, not all tuners can make sense of the weirdness they do to the channels.

My Mits HDTV can find all OTA channels SD and HD (plus WGN) in the clear from Comcast's QAM, but my Philips (Magnavox/Funai) DVR doesn't see a thing (except some of the SD down conversions. The channels aren't SCRAMBLED, but the quality of the tuner matters.

Note that this is going to depend on your area. Since I don't have Comcast I have no clue what they are doing in my area. But, "limited basic" is local channels. They are rolling out the encryption just like they did away with analog, and whether you still have clear QAM or not depends on your area!!! Don't expect for it to stay around long, and Julius (the non-genius) Genachowski, the FCC Chairman who authorized it, is gone. eek.gif Clear QAM for most MVPD customers is going away! Period!!! Don't be fooled by your current situation!

Why do cable companies have two seperate channels for SD and HD? Why don't their STBs simply down convert the HD channel?

post #377 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

Why do cable companies have two seperate channels for SD and HD? Why don't their STBs simply down convert the HD channel?

First, it gives them an excuse to charge more to let you access the HD channel (rather than forcing them to explain why you need to pay more to see the primary HD feed without downscaling), and second, many people who want the regular SD channel want the pan-and-scan version which fills the screen, rather than the letterboxed wide version.
post #378 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billc918 View Post

I am considering purchasing one of these units. I have a question about the operation of the HD connected to the USB port. Does this disk spin 24 hrs. per day or is it turned on and off as needed?

On and off as needed!!! Even if you put a recording on pause for a few minutes. When you take the recording off pause the disk then spins up again. When you turn the box on the drive spins up, but spins down if it isn't used for a few minutes.

post #379 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

law086;
The best way for CATV systems is to do a manual adsd for each physical channel that has 'in the clear' sub channels. If you don't know these you can;
1. Call your MSO and ask. It will probably take more than one phone call,
2. Go to your local reception thread over at AV Science and ask.

This has a huge problem with QAM channels. Some get skipped, others that should be, aren't until it gets fixed. BTW, all the CATV channels will be labeled "0-0".

Bruce,

I found a QAM channel listing for my service provider:
http://www.sectv.com/PDF/mapfreqLV.pdf

So I went into the setup on the box, did a manual channel scan (I think that's what you're saying I should do), and entered channel 58. That found me 9 channels. Perfect! The problem is that other than 58 I can't get any other of the channels on the above list to come in. So for example I put in 73 and get nothing. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
post #380 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post

First, it gives them an excuse to charge more to let you access the HD channel (rather than forcing them to explain why you need to pay more to see the primary HD feed without downscaling), and second, many people who want the regular SD channel want the pan-and-scan version which fills the screen, rather than the letterboxed wide version.

"Pan-and-scan"? As far as I know the SD version is either center cut, or letter box... And, a random mix of center cut or letter box. Comcast SD service in this area is a joke. It looks worse than NBC Universal Sports when it was a multicast channel.

Aleron Ives,

I'm not dissing you!!! I'm just telling you what I've seen.

post #381 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 06:45 PM

What should modulation loop through ,ch3, ch4 be set to just using hdmi? Also what is antenna power on off for?
post #382 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
By taking another look at those posts you missed. The 2nd firmware (which was the 1st real update) allowed a direct scheduled recoding w/o doing it manually. Two presses of the "Ok" button will schedule that program. You can change it to daily or weekly if need be. There probably are issues with either one of those choices though. wink.gif

Quote:
With the newest firmware that I just loaded the LED is now GREEN when on and RED when OFF(before that it was green when off)
That was changed with that 'patch' version. Why, I don't know. The "Lock" & "Power" should be reversed. Actually, there is no need for any LED when this is on since the display is always on when this is on. What is needed is a record LED to prevent messing with the box when the TV is off. You have no way of knowing if this is recording with the TV off. That is in my list.

Quote:
Even if you put a recording on pause for a few minutes. When you take the recording off pause the disk then spins up again. When you turn the box on the drive spins up, but spins down if it isn't used for a few minutes.
This depends on the interface as I stated. Mine does not do this. It's running when the box is on (I'm powering it through the USB buss which may make a difference). I never heard of a drive stopping when the DVR is in pause. confused.gif

Quote:
What should modulation loop through ,ch3, ch4 be set to just using hdmi? Also what is antenna power on off for?
Doesn't matter. That's only for a RF connection to a analog TV.
To power a in-line preamp. Leave this off.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #383 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So I went into the setup on the box, did a manual channel scan (I think that's what you're saying I should do), and entered channel 58. That found me 9 channels. Perfect! The problem is that other than 58 I can't get any other of the channels on the above list to come in. So for example I put in 73 and get nothing. Any thoughts on what I could be doing wrong?
Probably the same thing I did until I figured it out. Take a look at post 3.

Looking at your list, you want the virtual channels 502-513 which are your HD locals, not 1-13 which are the SD versions. Those should be in the clear also, but why bother? wink.gif You can give some of those lower numbered virtual channels a try, but it's doubtful any of those are unencrypted.
The numbers to enter in are in the 2nd column. Great job on getting that list. Actually, I'm surprised you managed to get that. No idea what the "service number" is suppose to mean.

post #384 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:

"Pan-and-scan"? As far as I know the SD version is either center cut, or letter box... And, a random mix of center cut or letter box. Comcast SD service in this area is a joke.

I used the term in its generic sense of how wide content is framed to fit a 4:3 ratio, but it's certainly true that shoddy converters may be too lazy to do any panning and will just scan the middle of each frame in every scene.
post #385 of 3682 Old 06-05-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I managed to attach a copy of the latest firmware in post five with a link from another post. I couldn't do an attachment for some unknown reason. The file extension is labeled zip, but it was originally packed using 7zip (which is half the size of a zip file)

Please do not PM me for a copy. Use that link posted. iI there is any problem, let me know.
Grs1900 likes this.

post #386 of 3682 Old 06-06-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Bruce, I accidentally updated the firmware by selecting the first file(flash.bin) and it seemed to work just fine.....just saying.
post #387 of 3682 Old 06-06-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

I managed to attach a copy of the latest firmware in post five with a link from another post. I couldn't do an attachment for some unknown reason. The file extension is labeled zip, but it was originally packed using 7zip (which is half the size of a zip file)

Please do not PM me for a copy. Use that link posted. iI there is any problem, let me know.

It appears that either I never had to unzip a file in the past 2 years or I don't have a utility loaded on my Win7 computer that will recognize these files. I have unzipped hundreds of files in the past but these I can't.

So...anyone have suggestions as to what I can use to unzip?
post #388 of 3682 Old 06-06-2013, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

BY the way....there are only 2 reasons I can think of to create a ZIP file.

1. The file is very big and you want to compact it for faster downloads and it can be unzipped into a larger file..
2. You have many files and you want to create one file for downloads that can then be unzipped into many files.

I don't think any of these conditions exist. So why the heck is this file zipped?
post #389 of 3682 Old 06-06-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't feel bad, I had the same problem biggrin.gif
VB send me the first firmware update and for the life of me I couldn't get it unpacked(the term he used). We exchanged several PMs as he couldn't figure out how a computer could be made that didn't have such a program. Like you I've unzipped many files in the past and I'm quite sure I have on my Vista PC but I think the unzipping program must have been part of the download as right clicking the download of this file I had no option to decompress it.
Like you I also question why go through the bother for such a small file but I think VB said it had something to do with viruses or something not liking to directly download .exe files.
VB gave me a link to this program (zip7) which I easily downloaded and it did the trick, I too was surprised a similar program was not already on my PC
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
post #390 of 3682 Old 06-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

It appears that either I never had to unzip a file in the past 2 years or I don't have a utility loaded on my Win7 computer that will recognize these files. I have unzipped hundreds of files in the past but these I can't.

So...anyone have suggestions as to what I can use to unzip?

Search (google) 7zip, download the software and you can open the file.
videobruce likes this.
Reply HDTV Recorders

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page