36Likes
post #3871 of 3900 Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post
Anything chronologically after v7 doesn't have the problem.... The second v3 and second v6 have the fix as well as v9, v12, v13 (also known as v10) all have the fix.
Thanks I'll try them again also 12, 13/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 3900 Old 11-28-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Used Iview For Sale

Just letting you guys know I am putting my Iview-3500STBII up for sale. It works, but no longer recognizes an external USB hard drive. The unit has no RF 3/4 switch and comes with the latest remote. If you are interested or want more info e-mail me at hallmark@gmail.com. Asking $20.00 for the unit plus S&H. Thanks
post #3873 of 3900 Old 11-28-2014, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
I have now watched several hours of recorded HD both 720p and 1080i and up until today I had not seen pixelation but unfortunately today I saw occasional pixelation on a 1080i program. So I CANNOT recommend the PNY Turbo Attache USB 3 flash drive for the Iview.
All the best, Trevor.
Try this: Reformat the Turbo Attache on a PC. Stick with NTFS but max out the cluster size: use 64K instead of the default. That should minimize overhead writes to maintain the file system and maximize the bandwidth available for writing data.

Recording to a thumb drive will always push the envelope, but I just threw KTVT/11 (1080i; no subchannels) at a Turbo Attache and it recorded (and played back) fine.

BTW, occasional (as opposed to consistent) pixelation could simply be a reception issue. Even with a very good antenna, amp, a real HDD, etc., I still get pixelation on windy days. It's really tough to get perfect reception of all channels all the time.
post #3874 of 3900 Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How prescient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Try this: Reformat the Turbo Attache on a PC. Stick with NTFS but max out the cluster size: use 64K instead of the default. That should minimize overhead writes to maintain the file system and maximize the bandwidth available for writing data.

Recording to a thumb drive will always push the envelope, but I just threw KTVT/11 (1080i; no subchannels) at a Turbo Attache and it recorded (and played back) fine.

BTW, occasional (as opposed to consistent) pixelation could simply be a reception issue. Even with a very good antenna, amp, a real HDD, etc., I still get pixelation on windy days. It's really tough to get perfect reception of all channels all the time.
I did a full (rather than quick) reformat of my HDD yesterday to remove disc errors. I was not sure what the file allocation size should be, so after an internet search (including some AVS threads) I concluded 64K seemed to make the most sense for large HD video files. It had been 4K previously. I have not tried the HDD yet but will report back on the disc error.
I will try my Turbo Attache thumb drive too, I assume a quick reformat is appropriate to a thumb drive?
post #3875 of 3900 Old 11-30-2014, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Formatting won't fix disk errors, which would indicate faulty hardware. You can run chkdsk /r on NTFS volumes to scan for surface errors, and I would assume fsck has similar functionality for ext volumes.
post #3876 of 3900 Old 11-30-2014, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I did a full (rather than quick) reformat of my HDD yesterday to remove disc errors. I was not sure what the file allocation size should be, so after an internet search (including some AVS threads) I concluded 64K seemed to make the most sense for large HD video files. It had been 4K previously. I have not tried the HDD yet but will report back on the disc error.
I will try my Turbo Attache thumb drive too, I assume a quick reformat is appropriate to a thumb drive?
Yes, a quick format should be fine for the thumb drive.

A full format won't "remove" disk errors; it just finds clusters containing bad sectors and flags them so it won't use them to store data. If any bad sectors are found, you end up with slightly less HDD capacity. CHKDSK /R does the same thing except without reformatting (if the cluster is part of a file, it tries to recover as much data as possible and move it somewhere else on the disk). Most modern HDDs have a similar sector remapping function in their firmware also. The firmware function preserves more space, but you must use special software (such as the freeware MHDD program) to access it.
post #3877 of 3900 Old 12-01-2014, 04:23 AM

Quote:

A full format won't "remove" disk errors; it just finds clusters containing bad sectors and flags them so it won't use them to store data. If any bad sectors are found, you end up with slightly less HDD capacity. CHKDSK /R does the same thing except without reformatting (if the cluster is part of a file, it tries to recover as much data as possible and move it somewhere else on the disk). Most modern HDDs have a similar sector remapping function in their firmware also. The firmware function preserves more space, but you must use special software (such as the freeware MHDD program) to access it.
My terminology was incorrect. I had read that a full format identified disc errors and flagged the file not for use. That was my purpose in reformatting the HDD. I will be able to see if it worked a few minutes into my first recording and report back here.
No one answered my question regarding which is more appropriate a quick or full format of a thumb drive? I did a quick format anyhow, again it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
post #3878 of 3900 Old 12-01-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I assume a quick reformat is appropriate to a thumb drive?
Quote:
Quote:
No one answered my question regarding which is more appropriate a quick or full format of a thumb drive? I did a quick format anyhow, again it will be interesting to see if there is any improvement.
???
post #3879 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't knwo if I'm posting at the right place but here it goes.
How much recording can I get per Meg, Gig or whatever size?
Is 1080 considered High Definition?

Thanks
post #3880 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, 1080i and 720p are both considered HD. (So is 1080p, but TV stations don't broadcast at that resolution yet.)

A very rough guideline is that 1 Gigabyte (1 billion bytes) will hold 30-40 minutes of SD video or 8-10 minutes of HD video. But it varies a lot, depending on how much the station compresses the video stream that they broadcast.
post #3881 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

At most, one hour of programming requires 8GB of storage (if the station has no subchannels). Most stations have at least one subchannel, so 6GB / hr is more common for HD.
post #3882 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 99
And if your unfortunate enough to have a local ABC channel like in my market and several others I've read, you can easily fit 1hr of 720p ABC HD on a standard 4.7GB DVD
Of course it macroblocks with any movement but still video looks OK
On the opposite spectrum is a clear channel CBS, more than double my ABC offering!
post #3883 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 06:19 PM

What does i and p stand for?
What does 1080 and 720 stand for?
Why, if a station has a substation, one hour or recording take less room on the Hard Disk?

Thanks
post #3884 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The 720 and 1080 numbers indicate the vertical resolution of the image, i.e. how many pixels tall the image is. The "i" stands for an interlaced picture, where the odd and even lines of the image are displayed separately (the way an old CRT tube television works), whereas the "p" stands for progressive picture, where the odd and even lines of the image are displayed at the same time (the way new LCD flat panel televisions work).

DTV channels have a fixed amount of "space" to work with, which happens to be ~19 Mbps (megabits per second). A station is allowed to divide its available bandwidth however it wants. If a station is only broadcasting one program (e.g. CBS on channel 6.1), then all of the bandwidth will go to that program, and you'll need 8 GB / hr to record it. If the station is showing two programs at once (e.g. CBS programming on 6.1 and MeTV programming on 6.2), then they must split their bandwidth between the two programs. If the first channel is HD while the second is not, it's likely that the HD channel will get most of the bandwidth and thus only require 6 GB / hr to record, whereas the other 2 GB / hr go to the subchannel. You only need 6 GB / hr in this case, because the other 2 GB / hr is devoted to a separate progam that you're not recording (in this example; sizes vary between channels).
post #3885 of 3900 Old 12-04-2014, 11:52 PM

Thanks M. Ives, now it's much clearer to me.

Last edited by Pilule; 12-04-2014 at 11:55 PM.
post #3886 of 3900 Old 12-07-2014, 09:02 AM

Hdtv

I have another question. Let's say that I have a 27" LED TV and I'm watching a HD program. The picture is 1920 x 1080 so around 2Meg pixel. If I watch a program on a 46" LED TV, are the LED bigger or are there more LED per pixel. How does it work?

Thanks
post #3887 of 3900 Old 12-07-2014, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 585 Post(s)
Liked: 443
The pixels (LCD elements) are bigger. There are more LEDs (backlight elements), the larger the display.
post #3888 of 3900 Old 12-07-2014, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

LED TVs don't use LEDS for the picture. The LEDs replace the fluorescent tube for providing the display's backlight. The actual pixels are still using LCD technology, and as mdavej said, if two displays have the same resolution while the second display is larger than the first, then the pixels in the larger display are bigger, which makes it easier to see each individual pixel when you're close to the TV.
post #3889 of 3900 Old 12-13-2014, 06:08 AM

Quote:
My terminology was incorrect. I had read that a full format identified disc errors and flagged the file not for use. That was my purpose in reformatting the HDD. I will be able to see if it worked a few minutes into my first recording and report back here.
Thanks everyone for your replies.
I reformatted my HDD (full) and flash drive (quick) at 64K file allocation size and I am still getting occasional pixelation breakup, a couple of minor events on the HDD and more frequently on the flash drive over two weeks of recording.
I am pretty sure with the flash drive that playback with format conversion done by the iView (from 720p to 1080i or vice versa) increases the frequency of breakup. It is a pity the iView doesn't have a video setting to always output at the native rate and let the HDTV do the conversion.
In my case, because I have two iViews, main and backup, it's not a big deal BUT I reiterate again the PNY Attache Turbo 3.0 is NOT a recommended solution, there is something about the HDDs that causes the iView's USB interface to perform better, perhaps it is a matter of memory buffering rather than raw speed?
post #3890 of 3900 Old 12-13-2014, 02:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello All, I've been following this thread a while and finally made the purchase on one these little wonder boxes. My results have been mixed. I did get the latest version (STB3500II w/3/4 switch) which I hear some of you say to avoid due to the upgradablity and the QAM issues. However, QAM is not a factor for me and it looks like they're shipping with a 5/14 Firmware so I figured it was fairly well updated at this point and the price was right for Black Friday.

So my issue is this: After a few days of usage the STB would lose connection to my USB hard drive. This would typically happen within the first 3 minutes or so of recording, then the STB would shut down. I'm using a WD My Passport Ulta 1.5TB. Prior to this recording 1 or 2 hours at a time worked fine. I tried reformatting, repositioning it, loading factory defaults, tweaking the USB internal connector, but nothing seemed to work.

I read how some users were using a Y USB connector with additional power and that seemed to help some, but not others. And to try and do a little more troubleshooting I formatted a spare 16Gb thumb drive with NTFS and to my amazement it worked! I did a test 1080i recording of an hour and it went smooth and played back fine. Also, for the first time the Fast Forward and Pause worked really well as well.

Another question I have is have any of you reformatted your HD using the optional 8196 File Allocation Unit Size? My thinking was it may provide better performance over the 4096 default. I tried a few tests with the larger size early when I got my unit but the USB problem added too many wrinkles to trying see if that was of any benefit.

I'll probably call iVeiw next week. As it turns out they're only a few miles from me. If I do and they have some useful info I'll report on that as well.

Last edited by SD73; 12-13-2014 at 02:42 PM.
post #3891 of 3900 Old 12-13-2014, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am pretty sure with the flash drive that playback with format conversion done by the iView (from 720p to 1080i or vice versa) increases the frequency of breakup. It is a pity the iView doesn't have a video setting to always output at the native rate and let the HDTV do the conversion.

... there is something about the HDDs that causes the iView's USB interface to perform better, perhaps it is a matter of memory buffering rather than raw speed?
On your first point, it isn't just the iView. Few STBs or DVRs allow this because it would force an HDMI handshake every time you changed to a channel with a different format (480i, 720p, or 1080i), which would drastically slow down changing channels. Things got bad enough with the switch from analog to digital; this would be even worse.

On the second point, it's possible. HDDs usually have rather large read/write caches and I wouldn't be surprised if they're much larger than whatever the typical flash drive has. An HDD's cache could let the drive take bigger "gulps" of data from the iView.
post #3892 of 3900 Old 12-13-2014, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
So my issue is this: After a few days of usage the STB would lose connection to my USB hard drive. This would typically happen within the first 3 minutes or so of recording, then the STB would shut down. I'm using a WD My Passport Ulta 1.5TB. Prior to this recording 1 or 2 hours at a time worked fine. I tried reformatting, repositioning it, loading factory defaults, tweaking the USB internal connector, but nothing seemed to work.
I believe someone else reported similar behavior. It sounds like the power supply is overheating. My guess is that the My Passport drive is right on the margin of what the PS can stand, so it works for a few days but really stresses the PS components. Eventually the stress reduces the PS capacity even more, so it starts overheating and shutting down. (iView really should re-engineer the PS to provide at least 1 amp. A lot of folks are going to be hooking USB 3.0 drives to the iView, and even though iView uses only USB 2.0, those newer drives are going to expect more current.)

If so, the Y USB connector you mentioned should fix it. IIRC it worked for the other user.

Quote:
Another question I have is have any of you reformatted your HD using the optional 8196 File Allocation Unit Size? My thinking was it may provide better performance over the 4096 default. I tried a few tests with the larger size early when I got my unit but the USB problem added too many wrinkles to trying see if that was of any benefit.
Earlier I recommended not just 8192, but 64K (65536); the largest size MiniTool Partition Wizard would let me choose. I agree; it should reduce overhead since the drive will hold mostly huge video files.
post #3893 of 3900 Old 12-13-2014, 08:36 PM

Thanks, JHBrandt. I think I will call them on Monday to see if they concur with the that. Also, since I just bought the HD, and I do have the option to return it. I got it at a pretty good price, but if I have to start adding components and possibly risk the DVR I may opt for something that people have had better luck with. Has anyone got a recommendation of something currently available between 500Gb and 1.5Tb? I basically want to stick to 50 to 75 bucks.

Also, are you HD users getting great response from your ff pause and play buttons? It really is nice on the thumb drive. My usb hd was sluggish, but I'm guessing it was mostly due to the ps issues.
post #3894 of 3900 Old 12-14-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
On your first point, it isn't just the iView. Few STBs or DVRs allow this because it would force an HDMI handshake every time you changed to a channel with a different format (480i, 720p, or 1080i), which would drastically slow down changing channels. Things got bad enough with the switch from analog to digital; this would be even worse.

On the second point, it's possible. HDDs usually have rather large read/write caches and I wouldn't be surprised if they're much larger than whatever the typical flash drive has. An HDD's cache could let the drive take bigger "gulps" of data from the iView.
Thanks for the explanation on native rate. I thought there had to be a reason for it. It is not a problem for my HDD system and I'll use my flash drive system to record lower bandwidth channels.
post #3895 of 3900 Old 12-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Hello All, I've been following this thread a while and finally made the purchase on one these little wonder boxes. My results have been mixed. I did get the latest version (STB3500II w/3/4 switch) which I hear some of you say to avoid due to the upgradablity and the QAM issues. However, QAM is not a factor for me and it looks like they're shipping with a 5/14 Firmware so I figured it was fairly well updated at this point and the price was right for Black Friday.

I read how some users were using a Y USB connector with additional power and that seemed to help some, but not others. And to try and do a little more troubleshooting I formatted a spare 16Gb thumb drive with NTFS and to my amazement it worked! I did a test 1080i recording of an hour and it went smooth and played back fine. Also, for the first time the Fast Forward and Pause worked really well as well.

I'll probably call iVeiw next week. As it turns out they're only a few miles from me. If I do and they have some useful info I'll report on that as well.
I had the exact same problem and I solved it using the Y cord (that came with the USB HDD case) and a separate USB power supply. Initially I used a Samsung 10W USB supply (from my wife's phone to experiment) and it worked fine. I settled on an Anker USB supply (about $15 from Amazon) because I wanted a corded unit I could place next to the Iview and it works great.
I did not experiment with the more common 5W supplies because I read somewhere that the HDD peak power requirements were in excess of 10W. I believe the average power is a lot lower.
As I mentioned in another thread I did a full reformat of my HDD at 64K file allocation size (on a Windows 7 PC, it will take several hours to complete) BUT truth be told I am unsure it may a difference from the default 4K.
post #3896 of 3900 Old 12-14-2014, 08:58 AM

Thanks for the input, Trevor. I'll call WD as well on Monday and see if they have any specific power requirements they can tell me about. I tried looking for USB 2.0 HDs and it looks like they're hard to come by so I'll likely stick with what I have.
post #3897 of 3900 Unread Yesterday, 06:57 PM

So today I ended up talking to Western Digital and iView. The first call was to the HDD manufacturer. After I explained the situation they recommended returning my HDD for an externally powered My Book series they offer. They did not endorse the power injectors by Mikrotik.

Then I called iView. I spoke with Evelyn. She suggested starting off with a flash upgrade. After I loaded it, I noticed it was the same version I already had. Since I was close by she next suggested I bring the unit in with my HDD for the tech to look at. He noted it was in fact the HDD drawing just a bit more power than the DVR could supply. Something akin to needing about 5.3 volts instead of just the 5 the unit was supplying. He also didn't recommend the Y adapter approach, but didn't strongly feel against it either. He regularly uses a Micro SD card with a USB 2.0 adapter to troubleshoot these. That may be a good way to go for some who don't need the high capacity. He also said USB sticks should work fine.

Side note, he also said they had just gotten a new unit in for testing. He hadn't looked at it yet so he couldn't elaborate if it solved any power problems or if it was USB 3.0 compatible. But it was nice hearing a newer product is in the pipeline.

I'll give it a little more thought, but I think I'll end up trying the Y adapter rather than exchanging my HDD.
post #3898 of 3900 Unread Yesterday, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

On the Homeworx thread someone reported that a Class 10 Micro SD card with a USB adapter worked fine. Since the HW and iView are so similar it'd probably work on the iView too.

I wouldn't recommend a USB stick, but there are a few that may work OK. I've had good luck with a PNY Turbo Attache 64GB USB 3.0 stick, but others have had some problems with it. Use at your own risk.

I still think the Y adapter is the best bet.
post #3899 of 3900 Unread Today, 09:07 AM

Quote:
On the Homeworx thread someone reported that a Class 10 Micro SD card with a USB adapter worked fine. Since the HW and iView are so similar it'd probably work on the iView too.

I wouldn't recommend a USB stick, but there are a few that may work OK. I've had good luck with a PNY Turbo Attache 64GB USB 3.0 stick, but others have had some problems with it. Use at your own risk.

I still think the Y adapter is the best bet.
I just bought the Y adapter. I was going to settle on using my USB stick, but I tried using my STB this morning and changing channels was like walking through mud. The remote was slow and unresponsive. Then a few USB disconnected/connected notices popped up. After I unplugged the USB things were back to normal. I'm HOPING it just doesn't like my USB stick and the port itself isn't damaged.
post #3900 of 3900 Unread Today, 12:29 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy an Iview 3500stb11 in Canada, newegg.ca is out of stock.

John
Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page