iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3901 of 3915 Old 12-19-2014, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been reading a lot of the stuff posted about this box and read about half way through the posts and haven't seen my issue. I figured if there was an solution, it would be early on. iView works really decent so far except for one issue. How do I get it to display the correct date and time? I programmed it with cable QAM and got all the available channels. However my cable company doesn't broadcast any guide info. Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again. Currently it shows today's date as July 11, 2011 and time about 3 hours off.

I figure there is a solution but my brain just doesn't work as well as it once did. I will continue to read ALL the posts and thank all that have gone ahead of me on this DVR. Thanks, Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3915 Old 12-19-2014, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBear View Post
....Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again. Currently it shows today's date as July 11, 2011 and time about 3 hours off.
I think that might be worth a shot. Unfortunatly because your cable system doesn't send out PSIP and PSIP is the ONLY place it can get it's time info, I think you might be SOL. Your one hope might be as you suggested, first scanning OTA and getting the correct time and then switching back to QAM and hope the time stays. Of course if the time drifts(which these cheap boxes are known to do unless they are constantly updated) your time will slowly get off. IMO the lack of a manual clock setting is one of the biggest downfalls of these boxes, you'd think mfgs. would have learned to offer a manual clock for DVRs after all the issues when we switched to digital and dropped analog channels but I guess learning from history isn't something they do well
post #3903 of 3915 Old 12-19-2014, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBear View Post
[SIZE=4]How do I get it to display the correct date and time? I programmed it with cable QAM and got all the available channels. However my cable company doesn't broadcast any guide info. Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again.
You can hook up some rabbit ears, switch the iView to "Air," do a manual scan of your best local OTA channel, then tune to it. That should get the time set correctly, then you can hook up cable and switch the iView back to cable. As long as you don't do an auto scan your cable channels should still be there.

Don't know how long the time will remain correct though. You'll probably have to switch back to OTA at least once or twice a week to keep it synced up with whatever OTA station you use for the time.
post #3904 of 3915 Old 12-19-2014, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You can hook up some rabbit ears, switch the iView to "Air," do a manual scan of your best local OTA channel, then tune to it. That should get the time set correctly, then you can hook up cable and switch the iView back to cable. As long as you don't do an auto scan your cable channels should still be there.

Don't know how long the time will remain correct though. You'll probably have to switch back to OTA at least once or twice a week to keep it synced up with whatever OTA station you use for the time.
I did exactly that except I did auto scan when I switched back to cable. It retained time and date and i pulled off a half hour recording. Until I get an external storage device, I stuck in an unused 8G thumb drive. Recording was just fine.
post #3905 of 3915 Old 12-23-2014, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Not having a lot of luck. I purchased the MikroTik 5VUSB 5V Power Injector for my WD HDD and I didn't have any luck. The power adapter seemed to be heating up and it's rated for USB 3.0 power. I also tried my USB sticks again and some were found but sometimes after a short while they'd drop off too. Jiggling helped in some cases, but not others. I'll call Iview again after the holiday and see if I can bring it in for servicing. It's pretty frustrating with a new product. I was contemplating buying a laptop hdd and an enclosure to see if it'd would fix my storage issue, but I'm going to hold off until I can get my USB connectivity issues resolved. I've returned my USB 3.0 1.5tb Western Digital HDD.
post #3906 of 3915 Old 12-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

I just rana cross this thread and I am considering one of these. At $39.99 the price seems right. As of today, is this a good choice or can I do better in quality for a smiliar price?
post #3907 of 3915 Old 12-27-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 450
There are no other entries at this price point (aside from the Homeworx, which uses the same hardware as this and thus isn't really a different product), but more expensive entries are certainly more reliable and have more features than the iView does.
post #3908 of 3915 Old 12-27-2014, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Watch out for boxes in the $60-$70 range though. They are often just overpriced clones of the iView.

To get a truly better product, you'll probably need to look for something in the $200 range (or a TiVo, which is under $200 but you must buy a $15/mo "subscription" for it to work).
post #3909 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Has anyone tried hooking up TTL serial on one of these yet to see what kind of console is available and to watch the boot messages, etc.?

I have seen some discussion on the mediasonic forum about making requests for U-Boot because it is GPL'd and getting no response, even having the thread deleted! Someone said something about GPL violations, and also about how mediasonic wouldn't release source because of a license agreement with MSTAR. Someone else mentioned a possibility to install Linux on these boxes.

I would be EXTREMELY shocked if this entire box is not running on a linux kernel, developed with GNU tools, and distributed in binary only closed source format. I mean everything from the menu system to the device drivers. I bet the whole firmware is one big GIANT GPL violation!

I mean think about it. You're in China, freaking patent, logo, and copyright infringement is totally rampant and unenforceable. Why would they bother taking the time and spending money to develop their own kernel, filesystem, etc. when it's already freely available? I mean come on the processor is even an open design, but still must be licensed for commercial use(although mips 34Kf is highly customizable and the processor design is likely highly specific and proprietary). But basically GPL is also totally unenforceable there.

I can understand the reluctance on their part to release source because it would reveal proprietary information about the specific nature of their processor (pipeline size, cache config, number of concurrent thread, etc.). Also in the new boxes (ch 3/4 switch) about their demodulator. In a market like china, if another semiconductor manufacturer got hold of this information they would be stamping out clones next week and selling them as authentic.

Still, if any of it was linked to a GPL'd library file, or even compiled with GNU tools then all of those parts are required by GPL license to be available as source. I would be willing to bet money that nearly all of it was created using GNU assemblers and compilers, but I seriously doubt that we will ever see that source code.

I bet all of these manufacturers are buying licensing from MSTAR for the base system kernel, menus, etc and probably have very little access to source themselves. Possibly only that which relates to the PVR software itself(if even that). But if the source was available, why license it from MSTAR when you can just compile it yourself, right? Here again there would be 20 manufacturers jumping out to make clones and MSTAR wouldn't generate any revenue from it, so I can understand their logic, but I also think that they shouldn't be breaking licensing agreements in GPL. If they want closed source, they should have to pony up for a non-GNU compiler that someone wrote in assembly and that they must pay for, but I bet they didn't! Why? Because it's china...need I say more? No offense to the Chinese, I like the people, but this kind of thing is so commonplace.

Worldwide, GPL violations are so common it's unbelievable. I don't think ANYONE could compute the number of products available which are closed source and include Linux and/or lots of other GPL or BSD style licensed code. It goes all the way from TV's, to cars, from embedded devices, to mp3 players, satellite recivers, and video gamess and everything in between, and we will probably not see source for 95% of that(or more). Even really large manufacturers are doing this...

In spite of all of that I would LOVE to see MSTAR release this source to us. We could do some pretty awesome stuff with this hardware if we had it. Imagine if we could add networking on the USB via a hub? We could stream the raw source to a computer or other device, download useful guide information for QAM, make the clock synchronized, etc.. With source we could improve the menu system, possibly add something like XBMC for streaming video playback, the limitations would be based on RAM a lot, but the ROM size isn't much of an issue if it's only used to boot up a basic system and then load the rest from an external drive, or even a network share.

This box could do so much, but likely it will remain as it is. Don't get me wrong, I just got this device as a christmas gift and I am really enjoying it. I would love to see it become a community development, though.

Cheeers!
-SB
post #3910 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftateche View Post
Hello all...
This week, I received a new IVIEW 3500STBII with ch 3/4 switch and the new remote. It has software version 20140305V2 and the hardware version is ATSC7816XD-02-Z00. The IVIEW seems to have a more sensitive tuner than my Homeworx HW-150PVR when hooked up under identical conditions. This is good, but the bright LED display, which only displays numerical channel number information that is not related to the digital channel ID, is very distracting. It should have an ON/OFF or DIM setting somewhere. I like the IVIEW remote much more than the simpler Homeworx remote. The menu option which displays the channel by LCN, Service Name, Service ID, and ONID does not seem to have any effect on the LED display. I have not done any recording as yet. Most likely I will end up using black electrical tape over the LED display.

Antenna in use: 91XG plus Y10-7-13 with a Winegard LNA-200 preamp pointed toward Sacramento (90 miles). Most channels are at or near 100% signal strength (using the INFO button).
I seem to have this same model with firmware version 20140522V1, which appears to be newer despite being labeled version1?

Does anyone have a download of a FW yet for the model with the ch 3/4 switch? I'd be interested in what versions are out in the wild.

If I ever get time I might try connecting to the serial port to see if I can dump the firmware through u-boot.

Cheers!
-SB
post #3911 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 04:38 PM

I did encounter a site claiming to have a zip of v1 v2 v2a and v3 (supposedly obtained via email from iview) for ch 3/4 model but when I clicked the link I never could get the zip to download on android.

I visited same site on PC and my antivirus blocked the site bc it tried to transmit a malware.

Cheers,
-SB
post #3912 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbones999 View Post
I did encounter a site claiming to have a zip of v1 v2 v2a and v3 (supposedly obtained via email from iview) for ch 3/4 model but when I clicked the link I never could get the zip to download on android.

I visited same site on PC and my antivirus blocked the site bc it tried to transmit a malware.

Cheers,
-SB
Contact iView for the firmware.
post #3913 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

You can use the following link to avoid malware: http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html. The only thing is, there are several "decoy" download links from unscrupulous advertisers on the page. The one you want is labeled "Download Now" and will display a zippyshare.com url when you hover over it.

It has V1, V2a, and V3 (but not V2) for iViews with the ch. 3/4 switch

Last edited by JHBrandt; Yesterday at 09:30 PM. Reason: Warn about unscrupulous ads
post #3914 of 3915 Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
I would be EXTREMELY shocked if this entire box is not running on a linux kernel, developed with GNU tools, and distributed in binary only closed source format. I mean everything from the menu system to the device drivers. I bet the whole firmware is one big GIANT GPL violation!
That's quite possible. The main limitation of the GPL is that you need money to sue people who violate it, and most FOSS developers don't have that money and thus can only use public shaming as a disincentive for license violations.

Not everybody does it, though: if you look at the manual for an LG TV, for instance, there are GPL disclaimers and links to where you can obtain source code for the relevant software modules.
post #3915 of 3915 Old Today, 01:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Has anyone tried hooking up TTL serial on one of these yet to see what kind of console is available and to watch the boot messages, etc.?
Yes, I've done that.

Quote:
I have seen some discussion on the mediasonic forum about making requests for U-Boot because it is GPL'd and getting no response, even having the thread deleted! Someone said something about GPL violations, and also about how mediasonic wouldn't release source because of a license agreement with MSTAR. Someone else mentioned a possibility to install Linux on these boxes.
Sounds like you're describing posts I've written.

Quote:
I would be EXTREMELY shocked if this entire box is not running on a linux kernel, developed with GNU tools, and distributed in binary only closed source format.
Then be extremely shocked.
There is absolutely no indication that Linux is running on these boxes as shipped.

Quote:
You're in China,
FYI MStar is a Taiwanese company.

Quote:
Still, if any of it was linked to a GPL'd library file, or even compiled with GNU tools then all of those parts are required by GPL license to be available as source..
I'm not a lawyer, but as an embedded Linux kernel developer, I'm aware of the GPL, and think you're wrong.
For example, many GPU and VDUdrivers are closed source in Linux. The Nvidia drivers for Linux are only available as binary blobs, and do not violate the GPL.

Quote:
I bet all of these manufacturers are buying licensing from MSTAR for the base system kernel, menus, etc and probably have very little access to source themselves.
You obviously don't know how this business works.
The SoC manufacturers are selling semiconductors, i.e. tangible hardware. A reference design (circuit boards and software) is often available for free to developers, but some manufacturers (e.g. Broadcom, MStar) restrict access by using NDAs. SoC manufacturers on the industrial side rather than the consumer and multimedia products tend to offer complete datasheets, reference manuals, and open source Linux device drivers (e.g. TI, Freescale, Atmel).

Regards
Reply HDTV Recorders