iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 36Likes

post #3901 of 3904 Old Today, 04:33 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been reading a lot of the stuff posted about this box and read about half way through the posts and haven't seen my issue. I figured if there was an solution, it would be early on. iView works really decent so far except for one issue. How do I get it to display the correct date and time? I programmed it with cable QAM and got all the available channels. However my cable company doesn't broadcast any guide info. Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again. Currently it shows today's date as July 11, 2011 and time about 3 hours off.

I figure there is a solution but my brain just doesn't work as well as it once did. I will continue to read ALL the posts and thank all that have gone ahead of me on this DVR. Thanks, Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 3904 Old Today, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBear View Post
....Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again. Currently it shows today's date as July 11, 2011 and time about 3 hours off.
I think that might be worth a shot. Unfortunatly because your cable system doesn't send out PSIP and PSIP is the ONLY place it can get it's time info, I think you might be SOL. Your one hope might be as you suggested, first scanning OTA and getting the correct time and then switching back to QAM and hope the time stays. Of course if the time drifts(which these cheap boxes are known to do unless they are constantly updated) your time will slowly get off. IMO the lack of a manual clock setting is one of the biggest downfalls of these boxes, you'd think mfgs. would have learned to offer a manual clock for DVRs after all the issues when we switched to digital and dropped analog channels but I guess learning from history isn't something they do well
post #3903 of 3904 Old Today, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBear View Post
[SIZE=4]How do I get it to display the correct date and time? I programmed it with cable QAM and got all the available channels. However my cable company doesn't broadcast any guide info. Do I need to hook up some rabbit ears and download OTA channels and info to get the correct clock setting, the switch settings and scan cable again.
You can hook up some rabbit ears, switch the iView to "Air," do a manual scan of your best local OTA channel, then tune to it. That should get the time set correctly, then you can hook up cable and switch the iView back to cable. As long as you don't do an auto scan your cable channels should still be there.

Don't know how long the time will remain correct though. You'll probably have to switch back to OTA at least once or twice a week to keep it synced up with whatever OTA station you use for the time.
post #3904 of 3904 Old Today, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You can hook up some rabbit ears, switch the iView to "Air," do a manual scan of your best local OTA channel, then tune to it. That should get the time set correctly, then you can hook up cable and switch the iView back to cable. As long as you don't do an auto scan your cable channels should still be there.

Don't know how long the time will remain correct though. You'll probably have to switch back to OTA at least once or twice a week to keep it synced up with whatever OTA station you use for the time.
I did exactly that except I did auto scan when I switched back to cable. It retained time and date and i pulled off a half hour recording. Until I get an external storage device, I stuck in an unused 8G thumb drive. Recording was just fine.
Reply HDTV Recorders