iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 134 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 41Likes
post #3991 of 4020 Old 01-16-2015, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I agree, that site is like a virus with crap flashing all over the screen!
Personally I'd spend the extra few dollars to get a better remote(this one looks like the very poor original iView remote) and added outputs if one should ever need them. Not that it's a big deal at all, and the OEM ones are just crap Zinc, but it looks like this one doesn't come with batteries for the remote like my iViews did.
Again personal but I'd rather give my money to Amazon than the Evil Empire aka W/M. Also depending on your state Amazon may not have sales tax. Unfortunately starting this year Amazon collects my states tax because they are looking into building a distribution center in my state and apparently that constitutes enough of a presence to start collecting taxes
I do get a kick out of a line in the description "Never miss your favorite program again"........if I could say the same about my iView I'd be one very happy camper
JHBrandt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4020 Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Iview 3500stbii I tried to upgrade firmware now unit will not power on. How may I reverse this?
post #3993 of 4020 Old 01-17-2015, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Does your unit have the Ch 3/4 switch on the back? If you try to load firmware from the wrong hardware version, you will brick your iView.
post #3994 of 4020 Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Remote Control

My iView died a few months ago, but I still have the "newer" model remote control that works just fine. If anyone wants it at a cheap price please let me know. I can be reached at hallmerk@gmail.com. Thanks
post #3995 of 4020 Old 01-21-2015, 12:06 PM
QAM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Have owned the 3500STBII for over a year now, so time for a brief review:

USB port issue solved with use of USB extender cable, so not an issue any more. Power supply issue (eventually couldn't power my 2.5" USB powered HDD) solved by using an externally powered HDD. The "improved" remote of the 3500STBII is solid and works well. So what are the remaining issues? The power supply appears to be degrading over time, as now the recorded picture shows signs of "dimming" and even dropping out occasionally implying the PS may not be optimal. Getting to the point where picture breaks up (NOT pixilation, as the RF signal is solid), drops out, tears/smears more than a few times in a 1 hour recording. I suspect that the lifespan of this unit may be in the 1-year category. Probably a good time to start looking for a replacement DVR (possibly the Homeworx HW-150PVR or something similar).
post #3996 of 4020 Old 01-21-2015, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow 1 year, thats pathetic! with solid state electronics they have the capability of going for decades, not years like vacuum tube electronics
Knock on wood my original production iView(with free new remote when iView did that) is still going, albeit with only infrequent use. I'm still using my original Hitachi 1Tb USB3 HDD which has probably been disconnected 20?? times from the iView. Mostly early on when experimenting with things, now the drive just sits along the iView and never really gets moved. The reason I rarely use the iView is it's just a overflow recorder for me, my Tivo gets the brunt of use in my household. I don't really trust the iView to actually record what I program so I use it I use it for my least important event and keep my fingers crossed it actually records. To me, even with the new remote the scan or skip features really leave something to be desired, of course I'm comparing it to a Tivo that cost me over 10x what the little iView did(well I guess 6x if you include the 1Tb USB HDD I needed for the iView).
My iView has basically been plugged in since day 1 and never unplugged, I have a NIB unit ordered shortly after my first, wonder if it has a better or worse chance of still working a year from now? Guess I'll find out if my main one ever dies......

Last edited by jjeff; 01-21-2015 at 01:57 PM.
post #3997 of 4020 Old 01-21-2015, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Don't overlook the possibility that the HDD may be what's failing. It is a mechanical device.

If things look fine when watching live, but recordings are breaking up, the HDD should be on the suspect list.
post #3998 of 4020 Old 01-21-2015, 08:08 PM
QAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Don't overlook the possibility that the HDD may be what's failing. It is a mechanical device.

If things look fine when watching live, but recordings are breaking up, the HDD should be on the suspect list.
Hardly, as HDD is brand new 3.5". If the drive were failing, the PVR would detect a "missing USB device" and prematurely halt the timed recording, which is not what is happening. Symptoms are not consistent with a bad drive.
post #3999 of 4020 Old 01-21-2015, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

As much as I hate to say it, the iView and Homeworx boxes are pretty much junk. Cheap, but don't perform.

They will do in a pinch, but they can't be relied upon. Sorry. They have their place. If you have a lot of time to fool around with searching for this update or that update to make it functional, have at it. Our time is worth something, no?

Last edited by chazdole; 01-21-2015 at 08:17 PM.
post #4000 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QAM View Post
If the drive were failing, the PVR would detect a "missing USB device" and prematurely halt the timed recording, which is not what is happening. Symptoms are not consistent with a bad drive.
Not necessarily. "Missing USB device" means the PVR doesn't see the HDD at all, which would mean a completely dead HDD. However, if bad sectors exist, the HDD will try repeatedly to read or write them correctly, causing freezes during playback and dropped frames when recording.

Certainly I wouldn't expect a new drive to be failing so soon. But don't rule it out; stranger things have happened. I'd hate to buy a new Homeworx, see the same symptoms, then give up on these low-cost devices, buy (say) a $249 DVR+, still see the same symptoms, then finally realize "hey; maybe it was the HDD after all!"
post #4001 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am considering ordering the iview. I assume that I will get the one with the ch 3/4 switch on the back. Am I correct in assuming that the V1 firmware for it is the way to go? I want to be able to do clear QAM recording from my cable. Did I read correctly that V1 with QAM means no EPG??

Thanks!
post #4002 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

You won't get a cable guide with any firmware revision. No guide also means no clock, so you can't make timed recordings.
post #4003 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 03:52 PM
QAM

Quote:
Not necessarily. "Missing USB device" means the PVR doesn't see the HDD at all, which would mean a completely dead HDD. However, if bad sectors exist, the HDD will try repeatedly to read or write them correctly, causing freezes during playback and dropped frames when recording.

Certainly I wouldn't expect a new drive to be failing so soon. But don't rule it out; stranger things have happened.... yada yada yada....

Latest Update:
------------------
FYI, my iView died a peaceful death last night... not totally unexpected..... after all "I told you so".

Did a post mortem on the HDD by playing the .mts files on my PC and they were "flawless". That tells me the iView recording circuitry & HDD were OK, just the playback h/w sucked! Likely culprit was an overheated PS or onboard decoder circuitry. Gee, that Homeworx is lookin' better and better right now... bwahahahaha! As they say in the movies, "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $40 goodbye". Small price to pay for so much pleasure....

Later y'all!
post #4004 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 04:55 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCnDaHouse View Post
I am considering ordering the iview. I assume that I will get the one with the ch 3/4 switch on the back. Am I correct in assuming that the V1 firmware for it is the way to go? I want to be able to do clear QAM recording from my cable. Did I read correctly that V1 with QAM means no EPG??

Thanks!
I've tried all versions of the firmware on mine. For the last few weeks I've been back to the more updated V3 version. You can find most of the versions from the link about that JHBrandt posted for me.

In my case I was having some issue losing hdd access which is why I wanted to go back to an earlier version of the firmware. I've since learned (or so I hope) that it was because of the way I was formatting my hdd. I thought I was clever in changing the default format size to 64Kb thinking I'd get better performance. I didn't notice any performance difference and I think that was what would cause my hdd to read 0 drive size for the volume I was using to store my dvr files on. My other volume remained the default size and I was able to access that, so I've since reformatted both partitions to the default and have not had a problem since.
post #4005 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM

...And sorry. I didn't answer your question about QAM. I'm strictly OTA. I believe JHBrandt also answered which versions will work from QAM upthread as well. For OTA I haven't noticed any noticeable differences with the newer firmwares.
post #4006 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 08:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:

Thanks!
Per recent email conversation with Iview support, you should use the V1 firmware if you want to tune clear QAM (usb_upgrade_all_flashV1.bin, 3,255,684 bytes file size.)

Also from Iview support, you will not get the EPG from the cable company --- cause stated was that the unit has too little memory to process the program guide data feed from the cable company; it may work after staying on one channel for some time (15 minutes?); there is a firmware upgrade in the works to address this but no timetable for release.
post #4007 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. I guess since there's no guide for QAM it's not as big a decision. Is there a EPG for OTA on the newer versions with the ch 3/4 button?

Thanks
post #4008 of 4020 Old 01-22-2015, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

As long as your stations provide PSIP (which most stations do, and you can check with your existing TV to see if you can see program titles and descriptions), you'll get an OTA guide with the iView.
post #4009 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks!
The main difference is that V1 often finds more channels - usually including encrypted channels as well, which you'll probably just want to delete since you won't be able to watch them. But if a QAM channel provides EPG (rare), the EPG should work with any firmware version.

I'd probably try the version that comes with the box first. If it finds all the clear QAM channels you expect, great! No need to update. If not, try V1 and see if it works better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You won't get a cable guide with any firmware revision. No guide also means no clock, so you can't make timed recordings.
PSIP (where the clock and guide come from) is rare on cable systems, but there are a few MSOs that provide PSIP for at least some channels. So he may get lucky. There's no real way to know until he tries.
post #4010 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Latest Update:
------------------
FYI, my iView died a peaceful death last night...

Gee, that Homeworx is lookin' better and better right now...

Later y'all!
The latest Homeworxes have reportedly fixed a few longstanding bugs, although the only fix I know about for sure is that Closed Captions now work when playing back recordings.

Be aware the Homeworx doesn't do QAM as shipped. However you can email Mediasonic, give them your system info, and they can email a compatible QAM-enabled firmware version back to you. There's no support (if, e.g., it doesn't find all your channels, you're SOL), but it should mostly work like the iView did.

The Homeworx's only real drawback is its remote. All the same functions are there, but you'll spend a lot more time finding the right button to push at the bottom. So you might consider a learning remote instead.
post #4011 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD73 View Post
I went back to V1 of the firmware. I lost access to my hdd after about an hour into recording with V3. It gave me the same error as I reported earlier, a zero for the files size of that volume. Mine had V2 when I got it. Is V2 available anywhere? I'd like to have that one available to test again if the problem returns.

Thanks
It's probably a good idea to disconnect your hard drive when flashing firmware and user a thumb drive or something.

Try plugging your hdd into a Windows pc and see if it gives any errors at plug in. probably get one about not disconnecting the drive properly. if so let it run the disk check.

If you don't get any errors go ahead and run a filesystem check anyway, then properly disconnect the drive (click the USB icon and select the drive to disconnect it) you will get a message saying safe to disconnect.

Now connect it to your iview while it's off, then power on the iview. go to menu, then PVR settings, select drive and see if your partitions are listed. they should both be back.

Cheers,
-SB

Edit: just saw your post about your 64k block size. Still what I posted above may supply in some cases.

Last edited by sawbones999; 01-23-2015 at 03:51 PM.
post #4012 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbones999 View Post
It's probably a goods idea to disconnect your hard drive when flashing firmware.

Try plugging your hdd into a Windows pc and see if it gives any errors at plug in. probably get one about not disconnecting the drive properly. if so let it run the disk check.

If you don't get any errors go ahead and run a filesystem check anyway, then properly disconnect the drive (click the USB icon and select the drive to disconnect it) you will get a message saying safe to disconnect.

Now connect it to your iview while it's off, then power on the iview. go to menu, then PVR settings, select drive and see if your partitions are listed. they should both be back.

Cheers,
-SB
Back when this first occurred, when I did my flash upgrade I did move my hdd over to my laptop, and sure enough everything was showing fine there. I did try what you suggested back then as well by powering it off, and even unplugging it and back on again then reselecting it in the PVR menu and that didn't help either. At this point I'm fairly certain it was my larger block size I chose for the format that caused my issue. Knock on wood, it's been reliable since!
sawbones999 likes this.
post #4013 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapiron View Post
Iview 3500stbii I tried to upgrade firmware now unit will not power on. How may I reverse this?
If you did flash the wrong firmware, it may be possible to resurrect the unit.

You will need a USB to ttl serial converter(just a couple bucks on eBay, especially if you don't mind waiting on shipping from China). There are 3 or 4 pins on the board depending on your model, which you will need to connect to the adapter. Then you can use a terminal emulator on your pc (I use putty) to connect to the bootloader.

From here, make sure you have the correct firmware on a fat32 formatted USB drive(thumb drive is good for this).

Type help in the bootloader prompt and follow the prompts to install the firmware from the USB device.

I haven't done this myself but that is what I would do if I flashed wrong firmware. I don't know how deep won't power on is. It's likely that it still boots as far as the boot loader and serial console.

Cheers,
-SB
JHBrandt likes this.

Last edited by sawbones999; 01-23-2015 at 04:08 PM.
post #4014 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallmerk View Post
My iView died a few months ago, but I still have the "newer" model remote control that works just fine. If anyone wants it at a cheap price please let me know. I can be reached at hallmerk@gmail.com. Thanks
Exactly what do you mean when you say it died? Like won't power on at all? did you have a hdd connected for a longtime that was powered by the USB? Flashed wrong firmware? Anything like that?

I might be interested in the unit itself for a good price

Cheers,
-SB
post #4015 of 4020 Old 01-23-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Latest Update:
------------------
FYI, my iView died a peaceful death last night... not totally unexpected..... after all "I told you so".

Did a post mortem on the HDD by playing the .mts files on my PC and they were "flawless". That tells me the iView recording circuitry & HDD were OK, just the playback h/w sucked! Likely culprit was an overheated PS or onboard decoder circuitry. Gee, that Homeworx is lookin' better and better right now... bwahahahaha! As they say in the movies, "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $40 goodbye". Small price to pay for so much pleasure....

Later y'all!

I might be interested in taking that off your hands cheap if you want to get rid of it. If say it's likely a power supply issue. Could be bad capacitors, bad solder joints on psu or board, etc. I don't think iview puts in a strong enough psu for USB powered drives.

I'd like to get a cheap dead one to play with, see if it's fixable. I might find the problem and share it back to the group. I can try replacing caps in psu, or try other power sources. I work on computers so I have lots of power supplies laying around.

Usually you can tell if too much current was drawing if you look under the psu board or under the mobo where it connects to psu and you see any brown around the solder joints, especially under the caps. like the solder got hot.

If I had a second one, resurrected, I might play with some other companies' fw's as well.

Cheers,
-SB

Last edited by sawbones999; 01-23-2015 at 04:11 PM.
post #4016 of 4020 Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
For Sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbones999 View Post
Exactly what do you mean when you say it died? Like won't power on at all? did you have a hdd connected for a longtime that was powered by the USB? Flashed wrong firmware? Anything like that?

I might be interested in the unit itself for a good price

Cheers,
-SB
Unit powers up, everything works fine except the USB plug. Unit does not recognize a hard drive. I've replaced the USB plug and still does not work. If you want it e-mail me at hallmark@gmail.com and we'll discuss a cheap price.
post #4017 of 4020 Unread Today, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
iView 3500

I picked mine up yesterday from WalMart's Site To Store. I originally bought this for my son to use at college, but until he comes home I am running this through its paces. It seems to have a good ATSC tuner. Do I need to update firmware? Also, I might try the recording function. We have DISH Network throughout the house sent over RG-6 through a cable channel. Can I use the iView 3500 to record what comes through via that cable or will this only record Over The Air? Also, I have a 32 GB San Disk Dual USB drive. Can I record to that and then watch it through my Nexus 7 tablet? How much video can I record on a 32 GB USB drive?
post #4018 of 4020 Unread Today, 06:41 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My external USB HDD failed last night after two months use and the iView is showing NO USB DEVICE and the HDD does not show up when connected to my PC. The HDD spins and the blue light on the case is illuminated. How do I tell if it's the HGST Travelstar 2.5" 500GB HDD or the Sabrent EC-UK25 SSD to USB enclosure?
Thanks in advance.
post #4019 of 4020 Unread Today, 07:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1348 View Post
I picked mine up yesterday from WalMart's Site To Store. I originally bought this for my son to use at college, but until he comes home I am running this through its paces. It seems to have a good ATSC tuner. Do I need to update firmware? Also, I might try the recording function. We have DISH Network throughout the house sent over RG-6 through a cable channel. Can I use the iView 3500 to record what comes through via that cable or will this only record Over The Air? Also, I have a 32 GB San Disk Dual USB drive. Can I record to that and then watch it through my Nexus 7 tablet? How much video can I record on a 32 GB USB drive?
Did you get a iView through W/M or was it one of it's clones? I didn't realize W/M sold the iView.
Personally I wouldn't worry about the firmware unless you run into issues, I'm running quite older firmware and for the most part things are fine.
I'm guessing your Dish RG6 is analog channel 3 or 4? if so the iView won't tune it as it only has a digital tuner. The iView has both a ATSC and QAM tuner but again not any analog.
If your USB flash drive is fast enough it may work for you, try recording something like full bandwidth WCCO(CBS) and while recording try playing the title back from the beginning(chase play) if it works without stuttering you should be OK.
Recording time really varies, from minimal bandwidth KSTP(ABC) where you can get probably 8 hrs on a 32GB drive to full bandwidth WCCO where you'll be lucky to fit more than a couple full length movies(4?? hrs).
I don't have a Nexus tablet but if it can play standard MPEG2 video then you should be just fine playing what the iView records, it's not encrypted or anything.
post #4020 of 4020 Unread Today, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

[QUOTE=jjeff;31207705]Did you get a iView through W/M or was it one of it's clones?.....
I'm guessing your Dish RG6 is analog channel 3 or 4? if so the iView won't tune it as it only has a digital tuner. The iView has both a ATSC and QAM tuner but again not any analog.....[QUOTE]

I got the Iview 3500TBCII Multi-function Digital Converter Box http://www.walmart.com/ip/38774646 It looks like they raised the price. When I ordered it, the price was under $40.00, but now it lists $48.90.

Actually, I did NOT with an over the air channel, but I went with cable channel 73 for TV 1 and channel 93 for TV 2. I beleive that it is QAM format with a resolution of 480i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page