iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > HDTV > HDTV Recorders > iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread

HDTV Recorders

JHBrandt's Avatar JHBrandt
11:40 AM Liked: 246
post #4051 of 4082
02-04-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawbones999 View Post
You can skip step 4 (press ok to start the preview) and once you've highlighted your recording just press the play button and it should start playing in full screen without having to bother with the preview. Of course the preview can be useful sometimes if you don't remember the exact channel or time/date you recorded on. The naming of recordings is not a strong point on these.

Cheers,
-SB
Thanks. I don't think that worked on early FW releases; they've long since fixed it but I still do it the "old-fashioned" way. Habits are hard to break.
sawbones999
11:41 AM Liked: 3
post #4052 of 4082
02-04-2015 | Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by dleedlee View Post
FWIW, I've had a 3TB 3.5" WD on my iView (original STBII) for the past two months. So far, working well. I got it after using a 2.5 WD Ultra successfully for about 4-5 months. Then, the iView stopped recognizing it. Common wisdom here seems to say it's either a defective USB port or a power issue. I tried an old powered Maxtor HDD that worked very briefly before it errored out. Didn't recognize/changed format or something. Had to get a utility to salvage that drive. The 3TB has been in the manual with the STBII and reported here before but that info never made it to first 5-6 posts which doesn't seem to be actively maintained.
Are you using NTFS or FAT32?

Cheers,
-SB
dleedlee's Avatar dleedlee
12:03 PM Liked: 13
post #4053 of 4082
02-04-2015 | Posts: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Good to hear. If you have it working with one 3TB partition (instead of, say, a couple of 1.5 TB partitions), that's something even the DVR+ can't handle yet.
Only one. I just bought it and plugged it in.

Quote:
Are you using NTFS or FAT32?

Cheers,
-SB
NTFS

It's this one:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._external.html
sawbones999
12:10 PM Liked: 3
post #4054 of 4082
Quote:
Thanks. I don't think that worked on early FW releases; they've long since fixed it but I still do it the "old-fashioned" way. Habits are hard to break.
Thank you telling me what step 4 is! Lol. My poor old 24" RCA CRT tv in the bedroom, which this is connected to, is so blurry I can't read which button it is that makes the preview go full screen.

I have to go super close to it sometimes to even read titles and descriptions in the EPG.

Cheers,
-SB
MCnDaHouse's Avatar MCnDaHouse
10:43 PM Liked: 10
post #4055 of 4082
02-04-2015 | Posts: 33
Just got my iview today. It's the one with the ch 3/4. It has V1 firmware as best I can tell. The OTA works great. However I'm on Suddenlink cable and apparently there are no clear QAM channels that aren't scrambled. The only thing I get are 21 channels that start with 89- and they have no signal. I don't have a cable box on this TV and it gets the local stations and a few more channels that I thought would be clear QAM. Anyone else on here have Suddenlink cable? Thanks
sawbones999
11:10 PM Liked: 3
post #4056 of 4082
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCnDaHouse View Post
Just got my iview today. It's the one with the ch 3/4. It has V1 firmware as best I can tell. The OTA works great. However I'm on Suddenlink cable and apparently there are no clear QAM channels that aren't scrambled. The only thing I get are 21 channels that start with 89- and they have no signal. I don't have a cable box on this TV and it gets the local stations and a few more channels that I thought would be clear QAM. Anyone else on here have Suddenlink cable? Thanks

Are you saying that you have a digital tv, and it picks up those stations, but not on the iview?

If so you should make sure that you are on v1 firmware. it's in the menu somewhere, something like information. that will give you the firmware date and revision number.

Second, did you run an automatic scan for channels, and if so, are you sure that you changed the type from "Air" to "Cable" before running the scan?

Hope that might help.
Cheers,
-SB
12:34 AM Liked: 10
post #4057 of 4082
02-05-2015 | Posts: 33
Yes, I have a digital tv and it picks up the stations on cable but not on iView set to Cable. (SW Version: 20140522 V1) Model: iVIEW-3500STBI. I changed it from Air to Cable and did an automatic scan. It only picks up the channels that start with 89- and non of them have a signal. I assume they are scrambled because I can't get them with the TV Tuner either. It is a 40" Samsung LCD TV.

I was thinking if the TV tuner gets these cable channels and they aren't scrambled the iView should get them. I do realize that it won't pick up the analog channels that cable is sending, but the digital and HD channels it should pick up since they are unencrypted (with the exception of the 89- and other encrypted ones). Any advice would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I rescanned and it found some channels that are not scrambled. Not sure what happened first time.
12:25 PM Liked: 10
post #4058 of 4082
I am getting a ton of unscrambled channels. Now if there was a program guide for cable I'd be set...
TDome
12:51 PM Liked: 0
post #4059 of 4082
02-05-2015 | Posts: 2
Interesting note on how the 3500STBII passes analog NTSC signals:

My cable provider uses a hybrid system --- analog and digital signals on the same wire. I use the Iview to tune the Clear QAM digital cable stations and I use the analog cable tuner in my old Hitachi projection TV to tune the analog cable stations.

When the Iview is on (i.e. decoding the digital QAM signal and transmitting it on analog NTSC ch3 or ch4), the analog signal is degraded to the point that I am not able tune many other analog cable stations. In other words, the Iview ch3/ch4 analog signal sent to the coax out corrupts the other analog cable signals.

The solution is to either turn the Iview off (the analog signal gets passed through to the TV just fine since the Iview is not sending along any decoded signals on ch3/ch4) ---or--- to simply split the raw signal from the cable company, passing one leg to the Iview and the other leg to the TV as others have suggested here.

Hope this helps others that are setting up their Iviews.
sawbones999
12:59 PM Liked: 3
post #4060 of 4082
02-05-2015 | Posts: 40
Quote:
I am getting a ton of unscrambled channels. Now if there was a program guide for cable I'd be set...
Sounds like you are on the right track now.

Unfortunately iview isn't able to sort channels on QAM into virtual station numbers the way most tv's can(why? I'm not sure, most el cheapo tv's have no problems here). you can rename the channels in the menu to make them match what they're supposed to be for boxless tv. Then I use the tv guide app on my phone for program guide. Just enter your zipcode, provider, and then whether or not you have a cable box. Works great, the problem is ordering the channels correctly on the iview. Blah!

With the scrambled channels what you have to be careful of is hitting the 400 channel limit, because once you hit that, even if you delete those scrambled channels, they're not really gone and you can't add more.

What I do is run a scan, then go through all of it and write down which channel #'s that have clear QAM stations. If they are all encrypted, or there is only like 1 unencrypted and it's home shopping or something don't write it down.

Then, in my case I have a switch so that I can go back and forth between antenna and cable for EPG and time purposes. So if you have that, run a channel scan on OTA channels, remember to change the setting to air, and that will clear your 400 stations. otherwise you will want to do a factory reset to get those 400 channels cleared.

Now go to manual scan and put it to the first ch number which had a clear QAM channel Wi-Fi you already wrote down (after changing back to Cable if applicable). you should see on the signal meter that there is a station. let it add all substations, then you can go into the program guide and delete any encrypted channels it may have picked up. Continue to do this on all the clear QAM channels that you wrote down until you are finished.

If you finish and you think that there may be more channels which you didn't get before because you already hit 400, go into manual scan and start with your highest channel. Then from there you can up channel by channel and check the signal meter to see if there are stations. If you see some scan it. most likely more encrypted channels, but if you know that some are missing after your initial scan, then you should do this first, before doing the process I described above. That way if there are unencrypted channels in the higher ch #'s you can write them down before you start inputting manually.

If you've already hit 400 you will have to factory reset before you start looking at the channels higher than the highest one auto scan found.

I know that sounds complicated, but believe me it's a lot better than deleting 350 encrypted channels only to learn that you still can't add any more.

I really wish iview would put out a new fw which allows deleted channels to actually be deleted, opening up that spot for another channel.

Of course if you haven't hit the 400 limit this is all unnecessary. I have time Warner cable and there are well over 400 encrypted channels alone and something like 120 unencrypted.

Cheers and good luck!
-SB
01:30 PM Liked: 10
post #4061 of 4082
Thanks for the information. I don't think I hit the 400 channel limit but haven't really finished going through and documenting all the channels. How do you delete the scrambled channels from the guide? I don't see a way to do that (or even rename them).

The second problem is the coax pass thru isn't working. Does it have to be enabled? I want to be able to just turn the TV on and use it without using the iView. However I'm not getting a signal with the iView off or on when I connect the coax cable out to the TV.

Thanks
AgroCoders
05:58 PM Liked: 0
post #4062 of 4082
02-05-2015 | Posts: 4
Quote:
Sounds like you are on the right track now.

Unfortunately iview isn't able to sort channels on QAM into virtual station numbers the way most tv's can(why? I'm not sure, most el cheapo tv's have no problems here). you can rename the channels in the menu to make them match what they're supposed to be for boxless tv. Then I use the tv guide app on my phone for program guide. Just enter your zipcode, provider, and then whether or not you have a cable box. Works great, the problem is ordering the channels correctly on the iview. Blah!

With the scrambled channels what you have to be careful of is hitting the 400 channel limit, because once you hit that, even if you delete those scrambled channels, they're not really gone and you can't add more.

What I do is run a scan, then go through all of it and write down which channel #'s that have clear QAM stations. If they are all encrypted, or there is only like 1 unencrypted and it's home shopping or something don't write it down.

Then, in my case I have a switch so that I can go back and forth between antenna and cable for EPG and time purposes. So if you have that, run a channel scan on OTA channels, remember to change the setting to air, and that will clear your 400 stations. otherwise you will want to do a factory reset to get those 400 channels cleared.

Now go to manual scan and put it to the first ch number which had a clear QAM channel Wi-Fi you already wrote down (after changing back to Cable if applicable). you should see on the signal meter that there is a station. let it add all substations, then you can go into the program guide and delete any encrypted channels it may have picked up. Continue to do this on all the clear QAM channels that you wrote down until you are finished.

If you finish and you think that there may be more channels which you didn't get before because you already hit 400, go into manual scan and start with your highest channel. Then from there you can up channel by channel and check the signal meter to see if there are stations. If you see some scan it. most likely more encrypted channels, but if you know that some are missing after your initial scan, then you should do this first, before doing the process I described above. That way if there are unencrypted channels in the higher ch #'s you can write them down before you start inputting manually.

If you've already hit 400 you will have to factory reset before you start looking at the channels higher than the highest one auto scan found.

I know that sounds complicated, but believe me it's a lot better than deleting 350 encrypted channels only to learn that you still can't add any more.

I really wish iview would put out a new fw which allows deleted channels to actually be deleted, opening up that spot for another channel.

Of course if you haven't hit the 400 limit this is all unnecessary. I have time Warner cable and there are well over 400 encrypted channels alone and something like 120 unencrypted.

Cheers and good luck!
-SB
Hey thanks.

I have TWC and my 2006 Panasonic DVR/VCR tunes all unencrypted TWC cables fine directly from the cable with no CATV box.

It's not a big deal as I hadn't had television except OTA PBS for 5 years. I typically don't watch TV except channel 51 HGTV and others but only when they are local network and showing a sporting event.

However, I'd like to put this 25 pound behemoth Panasonic DVR/VCR in storage because although can also read SD cards the actual VCR head seems to be ruint and it's big & heavy. These new VCRs are not near as sturdy as those made in the 80s so not all new technology is better. So I bought a iView competitor's brand to replace and got their QAM firmware. Well it does find about 250 channels but most are blank and only about 25 or so tuned. And none of them on the correct channel like the Panasonic DVR/VCR can do. And it doesn't find all channels, not HGTV or any of those channels. It seems to get only network channels, religious channels, government channels, or shopping channels. :-(

Can I tune this competitor's PVR channel but channel? Or should I just buy an iView brand and hope it does better than the brand I bought.

I know the iView has had more HW and SW engineering done from the licensed source than the brand I have but it matters not if it doesn't start approaching my old Panasonic DVR/VCR digital ATSC/QAM tuner's capability.

I already have the iView STB3500II in my Amazon cart along with a electronic A/B switch but of course if the competitor QAM could be tuned with the right approach that's a savings of $35.

Thanks.
AgroCoders
07:59 PM Liked: 0
post #4063 of 4082
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgroCoders View Post
Hey thanks.

I have TWC and my 2006 Panasonic DVR/VCR tunes all unencrypted TWC cables fine directly from the cable with no CATV box.

It's not a big deal as I hadn't had television except OTA PBS for 5 years. I typically don't watch TV except channel 51 HGTV and others but only when they are local network and showing a sporting event.

However, I'd like to put this 25 pound behemoth Panasonic DVR/VCR in storage because although can also read SD cards the actual VCR head seems to be ruint and it's big & heavy. These new VCRs are not near as sturdy as those made in the 80s so not all new technology is better. So I bought a iView competitor's brand to replace and got their QAM firmware. Well it does find about 250 channels but most are blank and only about 25 or so tuned. And none of them on the correct channel like the Panasonic DVR/VCR can do. And it doesn't find all channels, not HGTV or any of those channels. It seems to get only network channels, religious channels, government channels, or shopping channels. :-(

Can I tune this competitor's PVR channel but channel? Or should I just buy an iView brand and hope it does better than the brand I bought.

I know the iView has had more HW and SW engineering done from the licensed source than the brand I have but it matters not if it doesn't start approaching my old Panasonic DVR/VCR digital ATSC/QAM tuner's capability.

I already have the iView STB3500II in my Amazon cart along with a electronic A/B switch but of course if the competitor QAM could be tuned with the right approach that's a savings of $35.

Thanks.

OK, I hadn't tried a manual tune as described in this thread with the competitor brand I have so I tried it. While it was convenient and takes much less time than an auto-scan it didn't find anymore channels and it didn't find known channels my Panasonic DVR/VCR can find. The brand I have now can play back MP4 videos from YouTube and such places but so can the STB3500II if I read correctly.

I guess I'll keep the STB3500II in my shopping cart for next time I accumulate enough items to get free shipping.

I'll post back in the thread how the STB3500II compares to my Panasonic DMR EZ47V DVR/VCR as I know that it tunes in the clear CATV channels from TWC and even assigns them to the correct channel number that TWC does.

If iView wanted a good reference software / hardware to compare to what they have the Panasonic DMR EZ47V would be one.
08:50 PM Liked: 246
post #4064 of 4082
02-05-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I don't think I hit the 400 channel limit but haven't really finished going through and documenting all the channels. How do you delete the scrambled channels from the guide? I don't see a way to do that (or even rename them).
Press Menu, move down to Program Edit, press OK, enter passcode (000000 unless you've changed it). Then move to each station, press 4 to delete or the Return key to rename.

Quote:
The second problem is the coax pass thru isn't working. Does it have to be enabled? I want to be able to just turn the TV on and use it without using the iView. However I'm not getting a signal with the iView off or on when I connect the coax cable out to the TV.

Thanks
I believe with the new ch 3/4 boxes, pass-thru only works when the box is in standby. It won't work if it's on; nor if it's powered completely down. Solution is to avoid it and just use an RF splitter as TDome mentioned a few posts ago.
09:07 PM Liked: 10
post #4065 of 4082
Quote:
Press Menu, move down to Program Edit, press OK, enter passcode (000000 unless you've changed it). Then move to each station, press 4 to delete or the Return key to rename.

I believe with the new ch 3/4 boxes, pass-thru only works when the box is in standby. It won't work if it's on; nor if it's powered completely down. Solution is to avoid it and just use an RF splitter as TDome mentioned a few posts ago.
Will do. Thanks for the valuable info guys.

MC
AgroCoders
09:31 PM Liked: 0
post #4066 of 4082
That's correct. The Panasonic DVR/VCR I have has a 3/4 channel switch and if I turn off the Panasonic the CATV signal is cut off from being passed from the Panasonic to the PVR.
Trevor_Bartram's Avatar Trevor_Bartram
09:45 AM Liked: 10
post #4067 of 4082
02-06-2015 | Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
I have requested a refund/replacement from Amazon. Unfortunately it is just out of warranty at 3+months, so fingers crossed. I'll temporarily use my USB 3 flash drive until pixelation and dropped frames etc drives me crazy enough to stop recording, ugh!!!!!
I got a refund from Amazon for my HGST HDD so now I need to buy another. My reason for buying HGST originally was Hitachi drives had a good reputation for reliability and power consumption. Hitachi was sold to Western Digital and the manufacturing moved overseas, so it looks like the quality may have slipped. I still have my Sabrent case (2.5" HDD) and Anker USB supply but if I need to go to a 3.5" drive to get better reliability so be it.
JHBrandt mentioned WD and Samsung drives. Does anyone else have an opinion on the most reliable HDDs?
Thanks in advance, Trevor.
P.S. In the meantime I have been using my PNY 64GB Attache Turbo USB 3.0 flash drive to record network TV and I don't know if its the cooler temperatures this time of year but it has been performing very well with typically just a single instance of pixelation every hour. It may be due to the fact that I'm only recording or playing back one hour at a time and the iView stays sufficiently cool not to misbehave.
10:38 AM Liked: 10
post #4068 of 4082
02-06-2015 | Posts: 33
Ok I'm back with something strange. (I have the iView with the ch 3/4 and V1 firmware) So I found a ton of channels when I did another scan on my cable. All is fine and dandy, the non-scrambled ones work great. I check back a few hours later and it won't tune in anything on these channels. Says "No Signal". Turn off iView and turn back on. Same result. I connected the cable back to the TV. The TV tuner is picking up the channels so it's not the cable.

Reconnected the cable to the iView and did another auto scan. It only finds the 89-series channels which don't work anyway. I unplugged the iView and plugged back in same result. I reset it to factory default, then reset it to USA and Cable and did another auto scan. Same results.

Then I connected the antenna, set it for Air and did an auto scan. It picks up the antenna channels just fine.

What the heck??? Any ideas??? This is really puzzling.
11:41 AM Liked: 246
post #4069 of 4082
02-06-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Yes, that is very strange and puzzling. Something seems to be flipping the iView back and forth between receiving all your cable channels and only receiving the useless block at cable RF 89. Yet your TV picks up all the clear QAM channels even when the iView doesn't, so it sounds like they are "there." Also, your iView works fine on OTA channels.

I wonder if the cable signal is too strong for the iView's tuner? We've heard some reports of this with OTA; the user puts in a splitter or does something else that weakens the signal, and the iView's tuner suddenly works better. It's a bit of a long shot but sounds like it's worth a try.
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #4070 of 4082
02-06-2015 | Posts: 33
They do have a booster on the cable. I took it off and that seems to have resolved the problem. I put it back on and put a splitter on and so far it's working.

Thanks for the spot on advice!
AgroCoders
07:19 PM Liked: 0
post #4071 of 4082
02-06-2015 | Posts: 4
I tried a 12 dB and 18 dB video signal boosters and it did nothing but amplify the noise on the CATV cable such that it made a good picture bad. They are useful for people in fringe locations to boost OTA signals but those people are liable to introduce noise if they have nearby OTA signals. If they have only weak signals though a signal booster helps in some cases. Now that broadcasts are digital the usefulness of signal boosters is largely gone.

As far as USB flash drives vs USB HDDs it's the USB speed that is limiting. If you want something fast and big USB flash can be had now at sizes of 256GB, 512GB, & 1TB. SSD hard drives would work to if put on a USB adaptor. The main thing here that is the problem is speed of USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0.
Pilule's Avatar Pilule
05:16 PM Liked: 10
post #4072 of 4082
02-10-2015 | Posts: 28
This device works great but it's definitively not user friendly, which brings a few questions.
What is timeshift?
The menu is bigger than my screen, is that normal? Can I fix that?
The menu is so pale I can hardly read what's there. When it shows the recording menu, I can't read it at all.
How do you delete a recording?
That should be it for now.

Thanks
11:44 AM Liked: 246
post #4073 of 4082
02-11-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
What is timeshift?
Time-shifting is the term for pausing, rewinding, fast-forwarding, or otherwise moving through a live broadcast, by means of a temporary recording written to a buffer file. For example, when a program starts, you can hit pause, go do something else for 20 minutes, come back, hit play to start watching the show, fast-forward through commercials, etc.
Quote:
The menu is bigger than my screen, is that normal?
No.
Quote:
Can I fix that?
Maybe. It sounds like your TV or monitor is set to enlarge the picture being sent to whichever input you have the iView hooked to. Check your TV or monitor for an "aspect" or "zoom" setting and see if you can change it to a more reasonable size.
Quote:
The menu is so pale I can hardly read what's there. When it shows the recording menu, I can't read it at all.
You may need to make the menu less transparent. There's a setting to do this - but it's in the menu itself! Try disconnecting the antenna (so all you see is "no signal"), then you should be able to pull up the menu and read well enough to reduce or turn off transparency.

If I'm not understanding you correctly, take a pic (say, with a cell phone camera) and post it here so we can better see what you're dealing with.
Trevor_Bartram's Avatar Trevor_Bartram
03:08 PM Liked: 10
post #4074 of 4082
02-14-2015 | Posts: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor_Bartram View Post
I got a refund from Amazon for my HGST HDD so now I need to buy another. My reason for buying HGST originally was Hitachi drives had a good reputation for reliability and power consumption. Hitachi was sold to Western Digital and the manufacturing moved overseas, so it looks like the quality may have slipped. I still have my Sabrent case (2.5" HDD) and Anker USB supply but if I need to go to a 3.5" drive to get better reliability so be it.
JHBrandt mentioned WD and Samsung drives. Does anyone else have an opinion on the most reliable HDDs?
Thanks in advance, Trevor.
P.S. In the meantime I have been using my PNY 64GB Attache Turbo USB 3.0 flash drive to record network TV and I don't know if its the cooler temperatures this time of year but it has been performing very well with typically just a single instance of pixelation every hour. It may be due to the fact that I'm only recording or playing back one hour at a time and the iView stays sufficiently cool not to misbehave.
I thought this thread would create interest but no, so I am bumping it hoping someone will provide feedback, I am itching to buy a new HDD!!
Pilule's Avatar Pilule
11:02 AM Liked: 10
post #4075 of 4082
02-15-2015 | Posts: 28
Quote:
Time-shifting is the term for pausing, rewinding, fast-forwarding, or otherwise moving through a live broadcast, by means of a temporary recording written to a buffer file. For example, when a program starts, you can hit pause, go do something else for 20 minutes, come back, hit play to start watching the show, fast-forward through commercials, etc.
No. Maybe. It sounds like your TV or monitor is set to enlarge the picture being sent to whichever input you have the iView hooked to. Check your TV or monitor for an "aspect" or "zoom" setting and see if you can change it to a more reasonable size.
You may need to make the menu less transparent. There's a setting to do this - but it's in the menu itself! Try disconnecting the antenna (so all you see is "no signal"), then you should be able to pull up the menu and read well enough to reduce or turn off transparency.

If I'm not understanding you correctly, take a pic (say, with a cell phone camera) and post it here so we can better see what you're dealing with.
M. Brandt,

You understood me correctly, I haven't had time to try your suggestions yet, but I will soon.

How do I delete a recording from the menu?

Thanks
01:59 PM Liked: 246
post #4076 of 4082
02-15-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
M. Brandt,

How do I delete a recording from the menu?

Thanks
It's not intuitive, especially if you can't see the menu clearly. Highlight the unwanted recording, then press the EPG button. Then press OK twice to confirm. Here's a screen shot (from post 4 of this thread):

Note: some buttons have changed since this screen shot was taken. The new remote has no "recall" or "hold" buttons, so the current firmware now shows different buttons for the "Up folder" and "Preview / FullScreen" functions. You still use EPG for deletion, though.
wildvista1
12:17 PM Liked: 0
post #4077 of 4082
02-21-2015 | Posts: 1
Iview 3500STBII loops between "Installation guide" and "Menu" and the box shows "boot"

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum and not sure if this is the right place to ask for help with my iview 3500STBII, if not please let me know.

This problem started when it was saving the scanned channels and got stuck on the smilie face. I restarted the box by pressing the red button on the remote which usually brought me to a saved live channel, but the last time it brought me to "Installation Guide" screen. Since then whatever I do, I can only go between that screen and the Menu. On the "Installation Guide" screen when I select "OK" it scans for channels (doesn't find any) and then goes back to "Installation Guide" screen. When I scan for channels from the Menu, it does the same thing, after scanning displays "Installation Guide" screen. And the box display reads "boot", as if it doesn't go beyond that.

Here is what I have tried so far: 1) I upgraded firmware from iviewus.com/firmware3500STBII/ to version 10/13 date 3/10/2014. 2) I also tried the other version 9 dated 1/17/2014 from same location. 3) Tried switching the box off for few minutes and unpluging the power cord. 4) Tried to google this problem but didn't find any solutions.

At this point I am not sure what else to do. Any help with be greatly appreciated. Thanks
09:33 AM Liked: 246
post #4078 of 4082
02-23-2015 | Posts: 2,208
Does your iView have a channel 3/4 switch on the back? If so you need different firmware. They started over at version 1 for this box. You can get a .zip file (with versions 1, 2a, and 3) for this box at http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html.

All three versions are for the Ch 3/4 switch version of the iView. The firmware on iView's Web site is for boxes without the channel 3/4 switch.

If that isn't the problem, something must be keeping the iView from finding any channels. Try another receiver to see if you have a signal. If not, that's your problem; you'll have to troubleshoot what caused you to lose your signal.

If you do, your iView's tuner or demod chip has probably failed, and you'll have to replace it
GregSWA
11:07 PM Liked: 0
post #4079 of 4082
02-23-2015 | Posts: 1
I have the 3500STBii 3/4 with 20140522 V1 connected to cable.

There are 2 problems that I am having with this box.
1) When attempting to set up recordings, only a handful of channels (ie 4 or 5) are available for selection. This appears to be the first channel in the program list and the last channel. I think it also includes sub-channels related to these channels. So, I thought, "No Problem, I'll just move the channel that I want to record on to the top of the list". This works briefly, but Problem 2 steps in and all of a sudden, I am recording random channels.
2) Even though I have manually added only the channels that I want, and have sorted and re-named the list as I want, this box decides to search for and add channels on its own. Doing this, it changes the channels that are in my recording list.

Because of these problems, I can basically only use this box for recording shows while I am home. In other words, "Useless".

I have attempted to email iView, but have not received any response, yet.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Any ideas on how to fix this?

BTW, I haven't changed the firmware, yet, but plan to do so.
chazdole's Avatar chazdole
11:17 PM Liked: 26
post #4080 of 4082
02-23-2015 | Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSWA View Post
I have the 3500STBii 3/4 with 20140522 V1 connected to cable.

[snip]

Because of these problems, I can basically only use this box for recording shows while I am home. In other words, "Useless".

I have attempted to email iView, but have not received any response, yet.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Any ideas on how to fix this?
[On Edit: Just noticed you use cable TV. DVR+ is OTA only]

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but my advice on how to fix it would be to disconnect the 3500, throw it in a box, put it in the attic, buy a Channel Master DVR+, and don't look back. A bit pricey at $250, but it is reliable.

Unless you don't mind the disappointment of missed recordings, a crappy guide, and a host of other problems.

I had two 3500s and an iView. While they 'sort of' worked, they couldn't be relied upon, and it became too much of a hassle to find the recording I wanted.

Reply HDTV Recorders

Subscribe to this Thread