iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 136 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
 55Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #4051 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 07:36 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
You say that your TV picks up many channels that the iView doesn't. Do those channels end in .1, .2, .3, etc., or do they end in .0 or have no sub-number at all? If you get a channel such as 37.0 or simply 37, it's an NTSC channel that the iView can't tune.
They are regular cable stations (so no .# after them). The iView does pick some of these up (Discovery channel for instance). Just some and not others. Many people have mentioned they use their iView for cable stations, so as far as I can see, the machine does have the ability to get them.
Natalie Smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4052 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Yes, her TV is showing the virtual channel numbers, not the RF channel/subchannel numbers, it's not so easy to tell which ones might be analog.

RF channel 135 is 858-864 MHz. I guess that's the limit of her cable system, so it sounds like her iView is scanning all her digital channels. Her cable system hasn't reached the 400-channel limit (yet).

Basically, if the channel is HD and/or has a channel number over 135 on her TV, it's gotta be digital. But if it's SD and has a channel number between 2 and 135 on her TV, it could be either analog or digital.

One way she might be able to tell which ones, if any, are analog would be to hook up an old-fashioned cable-ready VCR or DVD recorder to her cable. Those typically didn't have digital tuners, so if they can tune in a station, it's most likely analog.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4053 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 696
How unusual; I guess her cable feed actually provides PSIP, which is masking the true channel numbers. On the bright side, maybe that means her iView would actually have a clock and thus be able to make timed recordings on cable (on the channels it feels like tuning, at least).
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #4054 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Well, virtual channel numbers, date & time, and guide info are all provided in separate PSIP tables. So a cable company could provide virtual channel numbers without also providing a guide, or even the date & time. But you'd think if they invested in a PSIP encoder, they would at least send the date & time along with the channel tables.

But I suspect that cable companies generally use some alternative to PSIP for virtual channel numbers, which most cable-ready digital tuners understand - but (apparently) not the iView. Reasons I think so:
  1. Cable virtual channels generally don't include subchannel numbers (they're like channel 210, not 210.1)
  2. The iView doesn't seem to recognize them, even though it understands PSIP.

Nevertheless, I've been able to learn almost nothing about how cable companies send this info. I'm guessing there's some ridiculous NDA involved.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4055 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 09:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Yes, her TV is showing the virtual channel numbers, not the RF channel/subchannel numbers, it's not so easy to tell which ones might be analog.

RF channel 135 is 858-864 MHz. I guess that's the limit of her cable system, so it sounds like her iView is scanning all her digital channels. Her cable system hasn't reached the 400-channel limit (yet).

Basically, if the channel is HD and/or has a channel number over 135 on her TV, it's gotta be digital. But if it's SD and has a channel number between 2 and 135 on her TV, it could be either analog or digital.

One way she might be able to tell which ones, if any, are analog would be to hook up an old-fashioned cable-ready VCR or DVD recorder to her cable. Those typically didn't have digital tuners, so if they can tune in a station, it's most likely analog.
Well, when I use my TV plugged into the TV, I get both the ones with the subchannels and the virtual. For example, I'll get say abc at 8.1 and then regular cable abc at just 8. And my ivew is picking up both as well. I have two versions of a lot of stations. It's just a lot of those cable stations are missing.

As for the person that said I might get a clock and guide, no such luck
Natalie Smith is offline  
post #4056 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 09:37 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Smith View Post
Well, when I use my TV plugged into the TV, I get both the ones with the subchannels and the virtual. For example, I'll get say abc at 8.1 and then regular cable abc at just 8. And my ivew is picking up both as well. I have two versions of a lot of stations. It's just a lot of those cable stations are missing.

As for the person that said I might get a clock and guide, no such luck
Sorry, meant TV plugged into the cable outlet.
Natalie Smith is offline  
post #4057 of 4191 Old 03-06-2015, 09:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
How unusual; I guess her cable feed actually provides PSIP, which is masking the true channel numbers. On the bright side, maybe that means her iView would actually have a clock and thus be able to make timed recordings on cable (on the channels it feels like tuning, at least).
Actually, when I used v2 and v3, it was picking up times and names of programs (and even names of stations). But it was only getting a few stations. Even more were missing than were missing with v1. Actually, I don't think any of them were really cable, despite being tuned to cable search.
Natalie Smith is offline  
post #4058 of 4191 Old 03-07-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Smith View Post
Actually, when I used v2 and v3, it was picking up times and names of programs (and even names of stations). But it was only getting a few stations. Even more were missing than were missing with v1. Actually, I don't think any of them were really cable, despite being tuned to cable search.
That's more or less what I thought would happen. I think V2 and V3 only pick up stations with PSIP even on cable. So, it sounds like you have PSIP for the over-the-air stations your cable system retransmits, but not the cable-only stations. (That would also explain why ABC shows up on both channel 8 and 8.1. The plain 8 is the cable company's virtual channel; 8.1 is the PSIP virtual channel.)

That sounds kind of like what I've read about FiOS. But the way FiOS works, I don't think it has any analog stations.

Perhaps more details would help us. What cable system are you using, and can you tell us some of the channels your TV gets but your iView doesn't? Maybe someone else here will be familiar with your cable system.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4059 of 4191 Old 03-08-2015, 06:24 AM
Newbie
 
n2ptf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Having trouble with my 1-1.5 year old 3500STBII (without the 3/4 switch). After turning on, I'm only getting the iview splash screen over and over. I did unplug it overnight and I finally saw the boot screen and worked as normal. After awhile of normal viewing, I shut off and now it is acting up again. I'm thinking I should leave on all the time, or is this box on the threshold of being "bricked"

I have it connected to an HDMI switch-there is a ROKU 3 also on the switch. (I have an older Sony CRT HDTV with only 1 HDMI port). I've had this configuration for some time, so I wouldn't think this is an issue.

I'm also using it as a cable QAM tuner, if that helps.

N2PTF
n2ptf is offline  
post #4060 of 4191 Old 03-08-2015, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Since it's been working it sounds like something is starting to fail. Could be the iView or the HDMI switch.

You could temporarily remove the HDMI switch and hook the iView directly to the TV just to eliminate that possibility.

If it is the iView and you can get to a menu, try re-flashing the firmware in case that's gotten corrupted somehow. You can get V10/V13 from iView's website (linked on post 5 of this thread).

If that doesn't work, it's out of warranty so go ahead and open it up, and look for any bulging electrolytic capacitors. Replace any you find. That's a bit of a long shot on a 1.5-year-old device, but at least it's an easy thing to check.
n2ptf likes this.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4061 of 4191 Old 03-08-2015, 12:16 PM
Newbie
 
n2ptf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Since it's been working it sounds like something is starting to fail. Could be the iView or the HDMI switch.

You could temporarily remove the HDMI switch and hook the iView directly to the TV just to eliminate that possibility.

If it is the iView and you can get to a menu, try re-flashing the firmware in case that's gotten corrupted somehow. You can get V10/V13 from iView's website (linked on post 5 of this thread).

If that doesn't work, it's out of warranty so go ahead and open it up, and look for any bulging electrolytic capacitors. Replace any you find. That's a bit of a long shot on a 1.5-year-old device, but at least it's an easy thing to check.
Thanks-I was thinking maybe a power supply issue-so I will at least give a visual inspection of the electrolytics-First, like you said, I will try re-flashing with that firmware (I have that version installed now, but I will get a fresh download). It's on and working now so as long as I don't shut it off it seems to function properly (for now at least)

N2PTF
n2ptf is offline  
post #4062 of 4191 Old 03-08-2015, 02:45 PM
Newbie
 
n2ptf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well I did look inside and and didn't notice bulging of the electrolytic caps from what I could see. I wound up reinstalling a fresh download of the latest firmware and that did seem to do the trick-It has been booting up normally now without getting stuck on the Iview splash screen. Hopefully that was the problem and not something crapping out on the boards inside.

N2PTF
n2ptf is offline  
post #4063 of 4191 Old 03-09-2015, 07:51 AM
Member
 
Pilule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Issues???

I have started using the Iview 3500. Out of 6 show I tried to record, only 3 recorded. For the last one, I have been extra careful, I checked it a few time on the schedule and it still didn't record.
Are there known issues that I should know about?
Pilule is offline  
post #4064 of 4191 Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 124
A couple of things, are you cable or OTA? Next are you using daily or weekly events or one shot events? Lastly are you using a USB or wall wart powered drive?
I have pretty good luck OTA with a USB powered 1TB portable drive but for whatever reason I do get the occasional failed event, for this reason I never use my iView for very important events but rather one of my more reliable DVRs. I also never use reoccurring events, too many bugs with the iView for such events. I know it's more of a pain to program every event but I just don't trust the iView. Oh I also try and never program an event that spans midnight, again iView bugs!
jjeff is online now  
post #4065 of 4191 Old 03-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Member
 
Pilule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
A couple of things, are you cable or OTA? Next are you using daily or weekly events or one shot events? Lastly are you using a USB or wall wart powered drive?
I have pretty good luck OTA with a USB powered 1TB portable drive but for whatever reason I do get the occasional failed event, for this reason I never use my iView for very important events but rather one of my more reliable DVRs. I also never use reoccurring events, too many bugs with the iView for such events. I know it's more of a pain to program every event but I just don't trust the iView. Oh I also try and never program an event that spans midnight, again iView bugs!
I'm using an antenna, I program it one shot at a time and I'm using a Hard Drive powered with a wall wart.
Right after sending the first message, I tried to program it again and it didn't work.
After work, I tried programming it three or four time recording 1 minute at a time and it worked.
Who else makes DVR? I thought only Iview and Homewerk (or something) made the device for OTA.

Thanks
Pilule is offline  
post #4066 of 4191 Old 03-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
That's more or less what I thought would happen. I think V2 and V3 only pick up stations with PSIP even on cable. So, it sounds like you have PSIP for the over-the-air stations your cable system retransmits, but not the cable-only stations. (That would also explain why ABC shows up on both channel 8 and 8.1. The plain 8 is the cable company's virtual channel; 8.1 is the PSIP virtual channel.)

That sounds kind of like what I've read about FiOS. But the way FiOS works, I don't think it has any analog stations.

Perhaps more details would help us. What cable system are you using, and can you tell us some of the channels your TV gets but your iView doesn't? Maybe someone else here will be familiar with your cable system.
I have Time Warner. Among some it's not getting are History, USA, MTV, Lifetime, Food, TLC, Disney, Travel, Bravo, etc. It has no problems with Discovery, Cspan, ESPN (multiple), a few of those abc/cbs alternative stations, bunch of sports stations and news stations, QVC (oh goodie, ha), even the on demand stations.
Natalie Smith is offline  
post #4067 of 4191 Old 03-10-2015, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
I'm using an antenna, I program it one shot at a time and I'm using a Hard Drive powered with a wall wart.
Right after sending the first message, I tried to program it again and it didn't work.
After work, I tried programming it three or four time recording 1 minute at a time and it worked.
Who else makes DVR? I thought only Iview and Homewerk (or something) made the device for OTA.

Thanks
Is your TV signal "iffy" at all, that is does it come or go or does it occasionally break up? It's been speculated if the signal is poor when the iView first turns on that it may abort if the signal is poor. Another speculation as to what might be going on is if the HDD is in sleep mode when the iView(or basically the same Homeworx) tries to record and it doesn't wake up, it might abort the recording, this may be why your 4 one minute test recordings worked?? If you had a USB powered drive(like I do) this probably wouldn't be an issue as when the iView turns on for an event the HDD also will. To test this you might want to experiment with leaving your iView on all the time, although if your HDD does to sleep it may not help matters.
I have a Philips 5710 DVR which is no longer made and getting hard to find for a reasonable price(I paid $99 for mine) which is much more reliable for scheduled events. I also have a old Tivo HD which is basically 100% reliable but it's only a 2 tuner model and occasionally I need to record 3 things at a time, which is why I need a backup DVR. I purchased my Tivo more than 6 years ago and I can count on one hand how many events it's missed, I consider it one of my best A/V purchases, unfortunately a Tivo with no monthly fees cost more than 10x what a iView does, although modern ones do have 4 tuners which would sure be nice at times.
jjeff is online now  
post #4068 of 4191 Old 03-10-2015, 06:25 AM
Member
 
Pilule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
Is your TV signal "iffy" at all, that is does it come or go or does it occasionally break up? It's been speculated if the signal is poor when the iView first turns on that it may abort if the signal is poor. Another speculation as to what might be going on is if the HDD is in sleep mode when the iView(or basically the same Homeworx) tries to record and it doesn't wake up, it might abort the recording, this may be why your 4 one minute test recordings worked?? If you had a USB powered drive(like I do) this probably wouldn't be an issue as when the iView turns on for an event the HDD also will. To test this you might want to experiment with leaving your iView on all the time, although if your HDD does to sleep it may not help matters.
I have a Philips 5710 DVR which is no longer made and getting hard to find for a reasonable price(I paid $99 for mine) which is much more reliable for scheduled events. I also have a old Tivo HD which is basically 100% reliable but it's only a 2 tuner model and occasionally I need to record 3 things at a time, which is why I need a backup DVR. I purchased my Tivo more than 6 years ago and I can count on one hand how many events it's missed, I consider it one of my best A/V purchases, unfortunately a Tivo with no monthly fees cost more than 10x what a iView does, although modern ones do have 4 tuners which would sure be nice at times.
Luckily the signals, in my area, are very good. The HDD does seem to go in sleep mode. When I erase some recording, I can hear it spinning faster. If it does go in sleep mode, how could I fix that? I only need to record one program at a time so the Iview would be enough for me, if it worked!!!

Thanks
Pilule is offline  
post #4069 of 4191 Old 03-10-2015, 12:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 124
I'm no HDD expert but I've heard of people hooking their HDD up to a PC and using a program(maybe something that came with the HDD??) and changing the sleep status of the drive. No guarantee it will solve your problem but would probably be worth a try.
When you turn your iView off does the HDD also turn off, or is it a version that supplies power all the time to the drive? If powered all the time then changing the sleep status to off may help, if the drive gets powered down than it has less of a chance working since when the iView powers up the drive for a recording it wouldn't start up in sleep status and probably wouldn't go in that status for 5+ minutes of inactivity and if a event is scheduled it wouldn't go into sleep.
My iView cuts power to the USB socket and I don't believe my HDD ever goes to sleep when the power is supplied. I've also used drives that spin down but since my HDD gets it's power cut when not recording the lack of sleep doesn't bother me. Personally I wouldn't want my HDD spinning all the time but others may feel differently. My Tivo is always on and recording the buffer and as I said before it's going on 6 years old, just uses more power than off.
jjeff is online now  
post #4070 of 4191 Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM
Member
 
Pilule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
I'm no HDD expert but I've heard of people hooking their HDD up to a PC and using a program(maybe something that came with the HDD??) and changing the sleep status of the drive. No guarantee it will solve your problem but would probably be worth a try.
When you turn your iView off does the HDD also turn off, or is it a version that supplies power all the time to the drive? If powered all the time then changing the sleep status to off may help, if the drive gets powered down than it has less of a chance working since when the iView powers up the drive for a recording it wouldn't start up in sleep status and probably wouldn't go in that status for 5+ minutes of inactivity and if a event is scheduled it wouldn't go into sleep.
My iView cuts power to the USB socket and I don't believe my HDD ever goes to sleep when the power is supplied. I've also used drives that spin down but since my HDD gets it's power cut when not recording the lack of sleep doesn't bother me. Personally I wouldn't want my HDD spinning all the time but others may feel differently. My Tivo is always on and recording the buffer and as I said before it's going on 6 years old, just uses more power than off.
jjeff,

Your HDD stops completely? If so you think it's better than going to sleep?

Thanks
Pilule is offline  
post #4071 of 4191 Old 03-11-2015, 06:42 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all, I'm having a problem with my newly purchased iView 3500STBii (with 3/4 switch). Hopefully you can help...Here's what happened:

I wasn't happy with how the box was picking up my channels with the included firmware (it said v1 in software version). My channels didn't have the familiar numbers and the stb was adding scrambled channels, etc. So I had about 200+ channels and half of them needed to be removed. I found this thread and learned the later versions were capable of displaying familiar numbers rather than frequency numbers, as well as better filtering to keep scrambled channels from being included in the auto scan results. So I upgraded to the v3 firmware in post #4086 successfully, but now when I scan I get zero channels. I tried resetting to the factory settings, changing from Cable to Antenna and back, even tried adding channels using manual scan but nothing works. So I downgraded back to the V1 included in that .zip file, and still have the same results.

Did I partially brick my iView? Or is something else going on here? Anything I can try to resolve the problem? Please help

Thanks!
elektro is offline  
post #4072 of 4191 Old 03-11-2015, 07:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
jjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Minneapolis MN
Posts: 10,192
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
jjeff,

Your HDD stops completely? If so you think it's better than going to sleep?

Thanks
Yes my iView cuts power to the USB socket when off, only turns on when the iView is powered up and ~15 seconds before and during a scheduled event. And yes personally I think that method may be better than some iViews where the power to the USB socket is on all the time and your HDD may or may not be enabled to be able to go into sleep mode. I think it was speculated earlier in the thread a possible reason for missed events was if the HDD didn't wake up after going into sleep mode, which I thought you might want to temporarily disable sleep if your iView is like this and your HDD does go to sleep. Note I personally wouldn't be a big fan of leaving a HDD spinning 24x7 but I guess they don't take that much power and if it helped with your missing events it just may be worth if for you.
Note even with my iView and HDD I occasionally miss events with my iView, I don't know why but it happens. I wish it was better but I'm a realist and doubt things will change for a <$50 DVR but we can try and lower the chance of such missed events.

Last edited by jjeff; 03-11-2015 at 07:42 AM.
jjeff is online now  
post #4073 of 4191 Old 03-11-2015, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Smith View Post
I have Time Warner. Among some it's not getting are History, USA, MTV, Lifetime, Food, TLC, Disney, Travel, Bravo, etc. It has no problems with Discovery, Cspan, ESPN (multiple), a few of those abc/cbs alternative stations, bunch of sports stations and news stations, QVC (oh goodie, ha), even the on demand stations.
Thanks. Could you also tell us which city? I think TWC is all-digital here in Dallas (I don't have it myself so I'm not positive) but that may not be true in other cities.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4074 of 4191 Old 03-11-2015, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilule View Post
The HDD does seem to go in sleep mode. When I erase some recording, I can hear it spinning faster. If it does go in sleep mode, how could I fix that?

Thanks
Actually what you are (or at least, should be) hearing is the heads moving. You shouldn't hear anything if the HDD is spinning but not being accessed (unless a bearing is failing ).
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4075 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 07:16 AM
Member
 
jtsarnak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You can get a .zip file (with versions 1, 2a, and 3) for this box at http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html.

All three versions are for the Ch 3/4 switch version of the iView. Don't use the firmware on iView's web site; it's for boxes without the channel 3/4 switch.

Cable users have usually reported the best results with version 1. V1 usually finds everything including scrambled channels you can't watch, which means you'll have to delete them all after a scan. (It still won't find analog channels though.)

Also, V1 lists channels by their RF channel and subchannel, not by the channel numbers your TV uses. So you'll probably have to do a lot of hunting through the mess to find the channels you're looking for.

One problem you may run into with V1 is the iView's 400-channel limit. Once it's found 400 channels, you can't add any more even if you delete some; so if your cable system has more than 400, you may miss some unencrypted channels with high channel numbers. The workaround is to identify the channels you want to keep, write them all down, then clear the iView's channel memory (you can do this by doing a scan with the cable disconnected or by doing a factory reset), manually scanning in all the channels you wrote down. and finally, manually scanning all channel numbers above the last channel the original scan added.

Finally, keep in mind that your cable company may move channels around from time to time. Anytime they do, you'll have to repeat the process.
As a FIOS subscriber, let me tell you they seem to move stations at least once a month. I'm constantly manually rescanning specific ranges to get my ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC back. It's especially annoying because I have 2 CBS recordings set up that I need to re-enter most times it happens. I think I started with V3 which used the virtual channel but that was constantly scanning for EPG updates and "blipping" the feed so recordings and live TV would have random skips in them. I don't know if I ever tried V2, do you know if that would work better?

I am fine with no EPG at all. I just want my 4 basic network stations and the ability to DVR them without having to re-scan ever 3 weeks or so.
JHBrandt likes this.
jtsarnak is offline  
post #4076 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I don't know if V2 would work better. Probably not, but it wouldn't hurt to try, I guess. If it has the same problems as V3, you can always go back to V1 and monthly rescans.

If your cable/fiber co. moves channels around that often, I honestly don't know of a good way to keep up. A tuner that understands virtual channels would help, since at least the channel numbers would stay the same, but I would think you'd still need to rescan.

I wonder if cable/fiber cos. broadcast their entire system's channel map on a fixed channel, so that their equipment can just tune to that fixed channel to find out what the "real" channel is when you punch in, say, channel 8 on the remote. That would make more sense than constantly rescanning, but it's just a guess. I wish I better understood cable/fiber systems technically.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4077 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 696
They probably do it for the very reason you've stated: it's annoying to people who don't rent their official DVR. They're probably hoping you'll subscribe just to get rid of the headache. I can't think of a legitimate reason for them to play musical channels on such a regular basis.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #4078 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHBrandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S. Garland, TX
Posts: 2,344
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
A bit OT, but the DTVPal DVR has a nice feature: it continuously scans all channels in the background and automatically adds anything new that it finds. Unfortunately it's OTA only, but it'd be nice to see a similar feature in a DVR with QAM tuners.
JHBrandt is offline  
post #4079 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Aleron Ives's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,707
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 696
To offer a different perspective, I think that's a terrible feature. The DTVPal is somewhat notorious for continually re-adding channels you've tried to delete, thanks to that behaviour. Imagine if your iView constantly started re-adding hundreds of encrypted channels that you couldn't tune, thus forcing you to delete them over and over again.
Aleron Ives is offline  
post #4080 of 4191 Old 03-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Thanks. Could you also tell us which city? I think TWC is all-digital here in Dallas (I don't have it myself so I'm not positive) but that may not be true in other cities.
I'm in Dallas as well. When I use my TV's tuner, it tells you how many are digital vs analog. Most are digital.
Natalie Smith is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply HDTV Recorders



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off