iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 137 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 47Likes
post #4081 of 4088 Old 02-24-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSWA View Post
I have the 3500STBii 3/4 with 20140522 V1 connected to cable.

There are 2 problems that I am having with this box.
1) When attempting to set up recordings, only a handful of channels (ie 4 or 5) are available for selection. This appears to be the first channel in the program list and the last channel. I think it also includes sub-channels related to these channels. So, I thought, "No Problem, I'll just move the channel that I want to record on to the top of the list". This works briefly, but Problem 2 steps in and all of a sudden, I am recording random channels.
2) Even though I have manually added only the channels that I want, and have sorted and re-named the list as I want, this box decides to search for and add channels on its own. Doing this, it changes the channels that are in my recording list.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
Any ideas on how to fix this?

BTW, I haven't changed the firmware, yet, but plan to do so.
I don't recall seeing your first problem before. It only lets you record subchannels from the first and the last channels in the channel list, no matter which channels those are? Extremely weird.

I have an older iView with V13 and only use it OTA, but your second issue sounds familiar. Basically, whenever I tune to a station, there's always a small chance the iView will delete, rescan, and re-add all subchannels on that station. I haven't used the reorder function but I'm not surprised that this quirk would mess up a reordered channel list.

You might try doing a scan for OTA channels (which shouldn't find anything) just to make sure the channel list is completely cleared out before manually scanning in the cable channels you want. Perhaps the iView will then let you record channels other than whatever is listed first or last. If so, be aware the iView may add back anything you delete, and/or undo your renaming or reordering; but as long as you don't have to reorder channels just to set up a recording, that shouldn't be too bad.

If that doesn't work, download the firmware from the link above your post and try each version. Even try version 1, in case your box's firmware has been corrupted somehow. Most cable users report the best luck with version 1, but YMMV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4082 of 4088 Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsweet View Post
I think I've solved the clock problem. I returned my unit and got a brand new replacement. The date and time was June 29, 2011 07:53. Tech support was stumped. BTW, my service is through Cablevision in NY.

I left the box on and after 12 to 20 hours, the date self corrected to the current date. So my guess is that it takes many hours for Cablevision and iView to do a handshake.
2/25/2015 update: iView tech advised me to scan via OTA with antenna attached and then scan via cable. This reset the clock. It was 3 min slow though creating a minor pain. I've also found that after having deleted 3/4 of the dead channels, the clock resets to an invalid value. So I just leave all of the dead channels there and move the ones I use to the top of the list adding valid channel names.
post #4083 of 4088 Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Finding all cable stations?

Hi,

I apologize if I'm not posting in the right place. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I just purchased the ivew 35000STBII (I have one with the Ch3/4 switch in the back, if that helps anyone).

I ran several scans last night, trying different coaxial wires, and trying different options on the Ch switch... but no matter what I did, I'm missing quite a few stations, even a few basic (fox, nbc, etc).

If I plug the coaxial wire from my tv into the cable wall outlet, I get a ton of channels, but I'm not getting all of these with the converter box. Did I just have too high of hopes for it? Will it not pick them all up? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help!
post #4084 of 4088 Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Smith View Post
Hi,

I apologize if I'm not posting in the right place. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I just purchased the ivew 35000STBII (I have one with the Ch3/4 switch in the back, if that helps anyone).

I ran several scans last night, trying different coaxial wires, and trying different options on the Ch switch... but no matter what I did, I'm missing quite a few stations, even a few basic (fox, nbc, etc).

If I plug the coaxial wire from my tv into the cable wall outlet, I get a ton of channels, but I'm not getting all of these with the converter box. Did I just have too high of hopes for it? Will it not pick them all up? Or am I doing something wrong?

Only specific firmwares will work with clear QAM. You need to load the right one. I don't remember off the top of my head which version you need for the II with the switch, but it's in this thread somewhere, probably near the beginning.

Also realize that the iView can't do analog at all. So if most of your channels are analog, then there is no hope.
post #4085 of 4088 Unread Yesterday, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej View Post
Only specific firmwares will work with clear QAM. You need to load the right one. I don't remember off the top of my head which version you need for the II with the switch, but it's in this thread somewhere, probably near the beginning.

Also realize that the iView can't do analog at all. So if most of your channels are analog, then there is no hope.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure that was the firmware I had (I didn't bother checking hah, just uploaded it). I don't think that changed anything. When I switched the channel switch on the back, that did at least help me to get all the basic stations (abc, etc.). I do get quite a lot of cable stations, it's just there are a lot my TV picks up that are missing on the box. I guess I'll get a splitter, so I can at least watch them live still on my TV. Bummer.
post #4086 of 4088 Unread Yesterday, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Smith View Post

You can get a .zip file (with versions 1, 2a, and 3) for this box at http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/79955630/file.html.

All three versions are for the Ch 3/4 switch version of the iView. Don't use the firmware on iView's web site; it's for boxes without the channel 3/4 switch.

Cable users have usually reported the best results with version 1. V1 usually finds everything including scrambled channels you can't watch, which means you'll have to delete them all after a scan. (It still won't find analog channels though.)

Also, V1 lists channels by their RF channel and subchannel, not by the channel numbers your TV uses. So you'll probably have to do a lot of hunting through the mess to find the channels you're looking for.

One problem you may run into with V1 is the iView's 400-channel limit. Once it's found 400 channels, you can't add any more even if you delete some; so if your cable system has more than 400, you may miss some unencrypted channels with high channel numbers. The workaround is to identify the channels you want to keep, write them all down, then clear the iView's channel memory (you can do this by doing a scan with the cable disconnected or by doing a factory reset), manually scanning in all the channels you wrote down. and finally, manually scanning all channel numbers above the last channel the original scan added.

Finally, keep in mind that your cable company may move channels around from time to time. Anytime they do, you'll have to repeat the process.
post #4087 of 4088 Unread Yesterday, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
You can get a .zip file (with versions 1, 2a, and 3) for this box at

All three versions are for the Ch 3/4 switch version of the iView. Don't use the firmware on iView's web site; it's for boxes without the channel 3/4 switch.

Cable users have usually reported the best results with version 1. V1 usually finds everything including scrambled channels you can't watch, which means you'll have to delete them all after a scan. (It still won't find analog channels though.)

Also, V1 lists channels by their RF channel and subchannel, not by the channel numbers your TV uses. So you'll probably have to do a lot of hunting through the mess to find the channels you're looking for.

One problem you may run into with V1 is the iView's 400-channel limit. Once it's found 400 channels, you can't add any more even if you delete some; so if your cable system has more than 400, you may miss some unencrypted channels with high channel numbers. The workaround is to identify the channels you want to keep, write them all down, then clear the iView's channel memory (you can do this by doing a scan with the cable disconnected or by doing a factory reset), manually scanning in all the channels you wrote down. and finally, manually scanning all channel numbers above the last channel the original scan added.

Finally, keep in mind that your cable company may move channels around from time to time. Anytime they do, you'll have to repeat the process.
Yeah, I was using V1 (and I tried the other two, just to be sure). It's not the 400 channel thing, because it only pulled up like 330. However, I did notice it won't go above 135 (even when I deleted them all to retry). So, not sure if that has anything to do with it. I tried everything! Thanks for the suggestions, though!
post #4088 of 4088 Unread Yesterday, 11:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 719 Post(s)
Liked: 543
You say that your TV picks up many channels that the iView doesn't. Do those channels end in .1, .2, .3, etc., or do they end in .0 or have no sub-number at all? If you get a channel such as 37.0 or simply 37, it's an NTSC channel that the iView can't tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page