iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 140 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #4171 of 4198 Old 05-03-2015, 11:58 AM
QAM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHBrandt View Post
Any word yet on the new, "improved" iView? We've stayed tuned for some time now....

FWIW, looks like TiVo just upped the ante with "lifetime service" (i.e. no monthly fees) for their TiVo Roamio OTA DVR (which can record 4 channels, and comes with a HDD). Granted it's $299.99 for this "limited offer", it now competes directly with the "cheap" DVRs. Just sayin'.

TiVo Roamio OTA DVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4172 of 4198 Old 05-03-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked: 265
I saw that. It's probably not much of a threat to $40 boxes like iView and Homeworx, but it does make me wonder why someone doesn't put four iView tuner chips in one box and market an iView-style, bare-bones, 4-tuner DVR for $169 (with less buggy firmware though).

Previously, TiVo offered the OTA Roamio for $99 plus the usual $15/mo or $150/year mandatory subscription, but there was no "lifetime" option offered; or you could buy the pricier OTA/cable Roamio and get lifetime for another $499! The new offer is clearly much better and IMO more closely reflects TiVo's actual cost. I think the TiVo offer is intended to compete against the CM/E* DVR+, not the iView. As I said on the DVR+ thread, competition is good - unless it drives one of the competitors out of the market entirely. If CM/E* get out of the DVR market, expect that $299 TiVo offer to go away pretty quickly.

Hmm.... maybe now would be a good time to check eBay for bargains on used DTVPals, TViX 6620s, etc.
post #4173 of 4198 Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have just deployed my iView 3500sbii (with NO ch 3/4 switch), upgraded to the 10/13 firmware. I'm using it with strictly an OTA connection (no cable provider).

My issue concerns the time-of-day and scheduled recordings.

I've noticed that the effective time-of-day varies according to the current channel and can differ by several minutes from one channel to the next. Not surprisingly, the DVR adopts the time from the channel that was active at the moment it was powered off. Therefore, I now try to leave it on a channel with an accurate time before power down.

I've created several scheduled recording events. When I try to edit one of these from say, a start time of 11:30 to 11:28, it allows me to do so. But when I press OK to confirm, it exits the edit dialog box and reverts back to the original start time. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the firmware?

TIA for any help/advice!
DH
post #4174 of 4198 Old 05-13-2015, 07:24 AM
QAM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhighway View Post

I've created several scheduled recording events. When I try to edit one of these from say, a start time of 11:30 to 11:28, it allows me to do so. But when I press OK to confirm, it exits the edit dialog box and reverts back to the original start time. Am I doing something wrong or is there a bug in the firmware?

It appears to be a bug, as the only way around is to delete the event and re-enter it from scratch with the new data. Sometimes it allows editing depending on how "fresh" the event is (i.e. how many cycles it went through). It's really hit-and-miss.
dhighway likes this.
post #4175 of 4198 Old 05-19-2015, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In re: new 3500STBii issues

Hey folks. I am new here and just purchased the iView 3500STBii with the Channel 3/4 tuner (ATSC7816XD-02-ZOO) this afternoon from B&H in Manhattan (New York City) and so far for the last two hours it has been a hassle installing the system. I live in basement in Forest Hills, Queens, NY, and my device's signal light is on.

However, it remains in boot mode and does not seem to be able to find channels in the scan even though I just tried to update it with Firmware V3 (20140709 V3) via USB drive. What suggestions do you folks have to help me get my channels? When I try the manual scan it only lets me get 1.0,2.0, etc and not look for 0.1s and onwards. Thank you in advance.
post #4176 of 4198 Old 05-19-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon718 View Post
Hey folks. I am new here and just purchased the iView 3500STBii with the Channel 3/4 tuner (ATSC7816XD-02-ZOO) this afternoon from B&H in Manhattan (New York City) and so far for the last two hours it has been a hassle installing the system. I live in basement in Forest Hills, Queens, NY, and my device's signal light is on.

However, it remains in boot mode and does not seem to be able to find channels in the scan even though I just tried to update it with Firmware V3 (20140709 V3) via USB drive. What suggestions do you folks have to help me get my channels? When I try the manual scan it only lets me get 1.0,2.0, etc and not look for 0.1s and onwards. Thank you in advance.
Also, I cannot get it into HDMI mode to use my Chromecast.
post #4177 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
I live in basement in Forest Hills, Queens, NY, and my device's signal light is on.
Is your antenna also in the basement? Do you have reason to believe other HDTV tuners work in that exact same location using the exact same antenna and orientation?

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..
post #4178 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 03:19 AM

A little bit more background info on my situation: My family currently subscribes to Verizon Fios service (Internet and cable television) with 2 cable boxes. I purchased the iView so I can get rid of the analog box and save some money by watching things through the Chromecast I also bought.

M zillch, thank you for your reply. I unplugged my Verizon cable box and plugged the Antenna in and Antenna out cables (that were connected to it) directly into my iView so I believe it should work. I tried all of the configurations in regards to air or cable in the options but still no dice.
post #4179 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cable or OTA?

Quote:
A little bit more background info on my situation: My family currently subscribes to Verizon Fios service (Internet and cable television) with 2 cable boxes. I purchased the iView so I can get rid of the analog box and save some money by watching things through the Chromecast I also bought.

M zillch, thank you for your reply. I unplugged my Verizon cable box and plugged the Antenna in and Antenna out cables (that were connected to it) directly into my iView so I believe it should work. I tried all of the configurations in regards to air or cable in the options but still no dice.
Leon, are you trying to use your iview as a replacement for your FIOS box? I don't believe it works that way. You can tune in unencrypted cable channels with the iview, but I'd be surprised if you'd find any. However, in Manhattan you should be able to pick up all your local stations with a simple indoor antenna. Just plug the antenna into your iview antenna in and connect the antenna out to your tv. Make sure you when you scan your iview is set to "air", not cable. I have an older iview, but with the updated remote and firmware (v6 I believe?) that came out a couple years back. I recently dusted it off and seems to still be pretty stable. Hope that helps.
post #4180 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 05:55 AM

Thanks MikeG. I am not trying to get the encrypted channels. I just feel that I no longer have a need for cable channels in the basement when I can use Chromecast to watch the on-demand versions. Is the Chromecast device compatible with the iView?

I did in fact set it to "air" though.
post #4181 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So you are using an antenna to pick up these OTA stations, correct? A set of rabbit ears would probably do the trick since you are in a big city. An auto-scan set to "air" should get you some channels. You may have to move the antenna around and try re-scanning a couple times until you are satisfied you are getting the best reception on the most channels. I wouldn't even both trying to scan your cable options, since most cable providers are scrambling even the basic channels. As far as Chromecast, you can't plug it into iview since there is only an HDMI out on the iview to the tv. You plug it into one your TV's HDMI out ports and then you can switch between inputs via your TV's remote.
post #4182 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks MikeG. I am not trying to get the encrypted channels. I just feel that I no longer have a need for cable channels in the basement when I can use Chromecast to watch the on-demand versions. Is the Chromecast device compatible with the iView?

I did in fact set it to "air" though.
You need to set it to Cable if you're trying to get the Fios channels. "Air" needs "rabbit ears"
post #4183 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 352
In my experience, even living in large cities, is television reception below ground ["basement apartment"] is minimal to non-existent. Even for above ground apartments, indoor antennas may not cut it.

One good indicator that only a roof top antenna will do is if neighboring apartment building have them. [Assuming they don't all have cable/sat.] If there are Yagi's [TV antennas] on the roofs of nearby buildings it indicates that neighborhood has trouble using only indoor antennas.

It is a huge inconvenience to have to run wires to the roof and mount these things, often to chimneys, so if you see it being done on nearby buildings it implies it has to be done, otherwise no OTA [over-the-air] TV reception for the inhabitants.

Antennaweb.org gives good guidelines per location, free of charge. Check them out.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass, etc., any more than we pick the ending of a play. High fidelity means an unmodified, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original artist's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

Last edited by m. zillch; 05-20-2015 at 09:59 AM.
post #4184 of 4198 Old 05-20-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 915 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Is the Chromecast device compatible with the iView?
It was my understanding that the Chromecast plugs into an HDMI port on your TV. The iView does not have any HDMI inputs, so the iView and Chromecast are totally separate and unrelated devices. You need to plug both into separate HDMI ports on your TV and change the input with the remote to the device you want to watch.
post #4185 of 4198 Old 05-25-2015, 08:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
I thought both the "old" STBII (w/o the channel 3/4 switch) and the "new" one (with the switch) came with the newer remote. The original iView (STB, w/o the II) came with a different remote (although STB owners can buy the new remote separately and load a firmware update for it).

But IIRC the "new" STBII powers down the USB port in standby. The original STB did this too, but the "old" STBII did not. That would be an advantage for the new STBIIs, if you don't like running a USB-attached HDD 24/7: it would reduce heat produced by the iView's power supply, hopefully extending its life.

Edit: I've since learned that some of the "old" STBII's (w/o the 3/4 switch) do power down the USB port in standby, while others don't. Apparently iView changed this feature while the old STBII's were still being produced.
I have one of the earlier STBIIs boxes that does not power down the usb port in standby so I unplug hard drive frequently. Now the cheap ass USB port suffers from the well know intermittent connection issue. I will have to somehow tighten up the USB port. Any recommendation on making tighter would be appreciated? Also, if I upgrade my firmware will it then power down hard drive in standby?
post #4186 of 4198 Old 05-26-2015, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a8vdeluxe View Post
I have one of the earlier STBIIs boxes that does not power down the usb port in standby so I unplug hard drive frequently. Now the cheap ass USB port suffers from the well-known intermittent connection issue. I will have to somehow tighten up the USB port. Any recommendation on making tighter would be appreciated?
I can't vouch for this personally, but another user reported adding a few strips of tape to the sides (but not the top or bottom) of the USB plug on the cable to the HDD. You'd have to cut rather narrow strips of tape for this to work, but it might do the trick for you. You might also put in a USB extension cable so you'll start unplugging the HDD from the extension, not the iView itself.

Quote:
Also, if I upgrade my firmware will it then power down hard drive in standby?
I don't think so. This appears to be just the way these STBII's are wired.

The latest firmware for these boxes is V10/13 (iView calls it V10 on their website but if you install it, it says it's V13) and is available on iView's website (link in post 5 at the start of this thread). If you have an older version than that, you can go ahead and update; just don't expect it to fix the USB port power issue.
post #4187 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I can't vouch for this personally, but another user reported adding a few strips of tape to the sides (but not the top or bottom) of the USB plug on the cable to the HDD. You'd have to cut rather narrow strips of tape for this to work, but it might do the trick for you. You might also put in a USB extension cable so you'll start unplugging the HDD from the extension, not the iView itself.

I don't think so. This appears to be just the way these STBII's are wired.

The latest firmware for these boxes is V10/13 (iView calls it V10 on their website but if you install it, it says it's V13) and is available on iView's website (link in post 5 at the start of this thread). If you have an older version than that, you can go ahead and update; just don't expect it to fix the USB port power issue.
Thanks for that info, I may try that tape job and get my usb hub out of retirement. Has anyone else who has had the dreaded "USB device is inserted/not inserted" error messages please let me know how you have solved this problem (maybe soldering in a replacement USB port). Also, another problem that has just cropped up is that my unit just will not power on sometimes. Meaning, if I press the power button nothing, neither will powering on from remote yield any lights/power to unit. The only way I have been able to resuscitate device is to unplug unit and plug it back on, then power on - wtf? I wonder if the intermittent USB connection and no power are somehow related?
post #4188 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Also, another problem that has just cropped up is that my unit just will not power on sometimes. Meaning, if I press the power button nothing, neither will powering on from remote yield any lights/power to unit. The only way I have been able to resuscitate device is to unplug unit and plug it back on, then power on - wtf? I wonder if the intermittent USB connection and no power are somehow related?
Sounds like my Zenith DT 901, & especially in the cooler weather when room temp is below 70 F.

Flaky power supply caps perhaps, are you running near AC vents?
post #4189 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bismarck440 View Post
Sounds like my Zenith DT 901, & especially in the cooler weather when room temp is below 70 F.

Flaky power supply caps perhaps, are you running near AC vents?
Yes, the AC/Heat Vent is directly under my desk. Which caps if any have you replaced and if replaced has it solved this problem?
post #4190 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, the AC/Heat Vent is directly under my desk. Which caps if any have you replaced and if replaced has it solved this problem?
I haven't done anything as of yet with the Zenith boxes, but the problem was apparent the first winter (2008-2009) on both boxes (Room temp =< 66F) , & has become a bit worse over the years. I just leave them on 24/7 in the fall, winter & spring, & keep a hairdryer handy in the event of a power failure!

Since my outdoor antenna line had been cut off by my HOA right after picking up the I View, I haven't done much with it. The Zenith Tuners are superior to the I views & the one in my current TV for my area (too bad no HDMI), & I can use an indoor antenna & pick up a couple channels at least.

To verify, move to a warmer area of the room (or shut your AC), or use a hairdryer to slightly warm the cabinet before turning on power.
The Caps would be in the power supply area.
post #4191 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
@a8vdeluxe :

About your USB port being intermittent, FWIW, mine was just deployed and it started life being loose ... not intermittent, but loose, so it might not be long before I get connectivity issues also. Since the metallic outside is ground, I was going to try some foil on a USB extender, in order to tighten it and minimize the insertions on the actual port (as was suggested).

Cheers,
DH
post #4192 of 4198 Old 05-27-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:
I haven't done anything as of yet with the Zenith boxes, but the problem was apparent the first winter (2008-2009) on both boxes (Room temp =< 66F) , & has become a bit worse over the years. I just leave them on 24/7 in the fall, winter & spring, & keep a hairdryer handy in the event of a power failure!

Since my outdoor antenna line had been cut off by my HOA right after picking up the I View, I haven't done much with it. The Zenith Tuners are superior to the I views & the one in my current TV for my area (too bad no HDMI), & I can use an indoor antenna & pick up a couple channels at least.

To verify, move to a warmer area of the room (or shut your AC), or use a hairdryer to slightly warm the cabinet before turning on power.
Why do you think caps and not processor is the heat sensitive problem?
If needed you might be able to use a component to hdmi adapter?
post #4193 of 4198 Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

Hi, everyone. I'm in the market for a DVR, & have been considering the ViewTV & Ematic models. How do they compare to the IView? How well does the tuner perform? I'm in an area where some channels tend to be a bit weak due to the trees around my house. I use an indoor antenna, since a rooftop antenna isn't possible. With all the bad reviews for these cheap DVRs, it seems to be pot luck to get a half-way decent one due to quality control. I just don't see a clear winner with any of these. Any thoughts?
post #4194 of 4198 Old Yesterday, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Why do you think caps and not processor is the heat sensitive problem?
If needed you might be able to use a component to hdmi adapter?
Since it's a startup issue, Caps can be sensitive to temps, contrary to popular belief, not all electronics function better in the cold. When my place gets down to the mid/upper 50's in the winter, forget about TV untill were warmed up. I have a 2008 vintage Samsung with a similar startup issue that need the PS recapped, known issue but not related quite to temperature.... eventually (if I live long enough, & have the room to work), I'll open one of these up & poke around, but I can see in the Zenith 900/901 forums there are PS caps going... for now I just deal with it.

Electronics is not as robust as it once was & is being designed to fail after a short lifespan... not green in my opinion.

The Zenith 901 is not HD, so using a HDMI adapter would not give any better results.... another reason I picked up the I-View, I thought the Tuner might be better than what is currently in my current set, now I'm bound to an indoor Loop & the Zenith 901, so all my programming on the (up to 10 including subs) channels I can recieve is in SD. I run the 901 through a VCR via the AV jacks to the set, I can record that way too.
post #4195 of 4198 Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasafrass452 View Post
Hi, everyone. I'm in the market for a DVR, & have been considering the ViewTV & Ematic models. How do they compare to the IView? How well does the tuner perform? I'm in an area where some channels tend to be a bit weak due to the trees around my house. I use an indoor antenna, since a rooftop antenna isn't possible. With all the bad reviews for these cheap DVRs, it seems to be pot luck to get a half-way decent one due to quality control. I just don't see a clear winner with any of these. Any thoughts?
I did a side by side with the Zenith DT901, the iView did not perform quite as well as the Zenith. I've heard raves on these tuners, not that this is a bad tuner, it would depend on your location & terrain. I'm in an area where my local stations have put nulls in my direction. In additon I have a ridge somewhat overshadowing, & I get poor results from an indoor antenna, no matter what tuner I would use. I did my comparison from an attic antenna.
post #4196 of 4198 Old Today, 10:51 AM

Quote:

I'll be able to verify in the coming weeks, as AC will be kicking in pretty soon. Will update later -thank you.
post #4197 of 4198 Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasafrass452 View Post
I also think these turners are great, not as good as the Zenith but they're not HD. It is on par with my Samsung HDTV and my HD Homerun tuners. Where you place the antenna inside will be key. of course big roof top is ideal but if you can't, maybe you could mount a monster antenna inside? Basements and concrete/brick dwellings can be problematic. And buildings/large obstructions are also problems, but these newer tuners can compensate for reflections better. I was a big supporter of iview until the USB connection or power issue and now this CAP issue. iView needs to have a better USB connector in front and putting one in back would also be a good idea. Of course if they are using the cheap caps then they should be upgraded as well. I'm sure these changes would only cost them a few pennies per box! I really don't like the idea of soldering in new caps and USB ports.

Last edited by a8vdeluxe; Today at 12:50 PM.
post #4198 of 4198 Old Today, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The Ematic is very similar to the iView; the main differences are the lack of component and coaxial digital audio outputs (which many folks don't need), a rear USB port (haven't yet seen any of these boxes with two ports though), and a different remote. Mediasonic sells a box like the Ematic called the Homeworx HW-180, and one more like the iView called the Homeworx HW-150. Internally I think all these models use the same tuners.

I'm with a8vdeluxe on the USB port and power supply issues. I think the Homeworx models are better in these areas; at least, I haven't had any complaints, nor have I heard as many complaints as with the iView. Unfortunately, I don't like the HW-150 remote very much; iView's remote is much better. Not as sure about the ViewTV but I think it's also very similar, and I think it uses the same remote as the HW-150. The Ematic / HW-180 remote is somewhere between the HW-150 and iView remotes in quality. Of course, you can always replace any remote with a programmable or learning remote, so a poor remote may not be much of a problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders