iView-3500STB Tuner & DVR Owners Thread - Page 141 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #4201 of 4208 Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Burn them to Blu-rays instead of DVDs, and then they will fit. The only way you could reduce the size without transcoding would be to edit out the commercials. The iView has no control over file sizes. That's controlled by the bitrate the station has decided to use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 4208 Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron Ives View Post
Burn them to Blu-rays instead of DVDs, and then they will fit. The only way you could reduce the size without transcoding would be to edit out the commercials. The iView has no control over file sizes. That's controlled by the bitrate the station has decided to use.
Hmm. I was afraid of that. I don't have blu-ray capability (and most of these movies don't justify the cost), Guess I'll just compress when necessary. I do edit out the commercials, but the finished product still runs long sometimes.
Is there any way to find out which stations broadcast at which bitrates? Or do they vary from one broadcast to another?

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
post #4203 of 4208 Old Yesterday, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked: 703
Record about a minute of footage from the station, then look at the file size to compute the bitrate. If the station has 5.1 DD audio, then it's probably 384 kbps, whereas 2.0 DD is usually 192 kbps. Subtract the audio size, and then use the remaining file size to calculate the bitrate of the video.

If you load the video onto your PC, you can also use software to tell you the bitrates, e.g. MediaInfo.
post #4204 of 4208 Old Yesterday, 10:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked: 125
You can check Trips website(rabbitears.info) http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php and look for your market. He has listed the bitrate for each channel and sub channel your market broadcasts in.
You could also use DL DVDs but if cost is a issue(DLs are now actually more than BDs) then DVDs are your best bet and use something like Shrink to minimize the file a bit. I really prefer to not go below 90% with Shrink but it's a personal preference, I know people that go down to 50% and say they see no difference
post #4205 of 4208 Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM
QAM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Or you can simply use the PC utility MediaInfo.

http://www.videohelp.com/software/mediainfo

I suggest the portable version. Will show avg. bitrate of any video file. Supports m2ts, mts.... etc.
post #4206 of 4208 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post
You can check Trips website(rabbitears.info) http://www.rabbitears.info/market.php and look for your market. He has listed the bitrate for each channel and sub channel your market broadcasts in.
You could also use DL DVDs but if cost is a issue(DLs are now actually more than BDs) then DVDs are your best bet and use something like Shrink to minimize the file a bit. I really prefer to not go below 90% with Shrink but it's a personal preference, I know people that go down to 50% and say they see no difference
Rabbitears is exactly what I wanted. I record some movies directly to DVD-RW and use the iView for "overlapping" programming. Rabbiteares will let me know which channels use a lesser video size, therefore which channels are better to record on the iView. Thanks!

post #4207 of 4208 Old Today, 08:00 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does the iview 3500stbii get hot?
post #4208 of 4208 Old Today, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasafrass452 View Post
Does the iview 3500stbii get hot?
Mine gets warm but not hot. But it couldn't hurt to run it with open ventilation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HDTV Recorders